HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Blame the coach game

Old
01-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
Spott was absolutely terrible. He rewarded Murphy's terrible play with more ice time.
That being said, Canada looked like they weren't even trying out there and it was pathetic
But seriously, I think Canada brings a lot of "player coaches" and needs to bring motivating coaches, guys who emphasize hard work, skating hard, and winning little battles. The guys' skill can win the big battles already, but they need to support the puck, win faceoffs, make intelligent little passes, and things like that. They need a coach who requires that of them, and a coach who's not afraid to bench them if they're not bringing it.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
You have to ask yourself: what would Mike Babcock do in that situation?

1. Before you do anything else, death stare
2. Yell at team
3. Change around lines and pairings. Roll energy lines.
4. Chew 4 packs of gum a period
5. Make sure hair is perfect
6. Death stare

Now THAT'S how you coach. I think it's 85% death staring, really.
Hilarious!

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:59 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Spott was absolutely terrible. He rewarded Murphy's terrible play with more ice time.
That being said, Canada looked like they weren't even trying out there and it was pathetic
Well the good thing about next year is that most these guys will be to old next year.
Reilly I don't think he is ready for NHL next year
Reinhart I don't think he is ready for next year
Drouin might might not be NHL ?
Mackinnon might might not be in NHL ?

MyNameIsNobody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:10 PM
rosemount289

I have to............?

Quote:
I have to agree but more against the Coaches Strategy.....the Americans are a small team but quick............and took advantage of penalties to lead the tournament in power play goals..........the Canadians were told not to take penalties and as a consequence all they did was try to stick check the American forwards in the Canadian zone..........normally with small forwards all you have to do was rub them out against the boards to take them out.......the Canadian defencemen never did that.....as a consequence the play was constantly in Canada's end.........and we saw the results!

rosemount289 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post

All tournament long.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Hey now when has Spott ever had such a drastic change/inverted his pov? I call photo manipulation!

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Gungagalunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Not entirely. While yes, it is players' job to get ready for the game, but the coach's job is to do everything in their power to prepare their players. Giving them a day off in the middle of a short tournament while every other team is playing games is completely the wrong way to go about it. The players are definitely to blame for the poor puck management and defensive coverage but the coaches aren't just there for show. Spott didn't do his job in order to maximize his team's chances to win.
It was actually a rhetorical question. Coaches definitely do not have time to make sure little Johnny is ready to play. Did Spott make some questionable decisions? Of course he did. Would we be questioning his motives if they won gold? Of course not. The likes of Toe Blake, Scotty Bowman, or even Slats Sather have made questionable decisions. The bottom line is that the players SUCKED with a capitol "S"! And regardless if they had a day off or not; if you can't bring your A+ game to that match-up, you should have stayed home.

Gungagalunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:20 PM
torero

The Swiss coach was amazing !

I know it's not the thread but since a thread on coaches exist ...
(you have the option not to read )

Sean Simpson is an amazing coach !
Under him, the Zurich Lions became european champion ! beating salvat юlaef in final and seriously. One year later, they beat the Chicago Blackhawks in their european tourney before NHL regular season and now he shows his knowhow with the M20 national team.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
- playing murphy like he was our top d
- bringing murphy in the first place
That is one of a laundry list of issues with Spott. I wasn't keen on him from day one when they announced him back in the summer. I think he was hoping this was 2005 and Canada would just steamroll the competition. Not so. They actually had to work for it this time and Spott did not have them prepared at all. Spott can join Dave Cameron and Don Hay as coaches that need to be kept 100 miles away from a Team Canada bench again.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote