HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Fantomas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
He's dominating the NCAA as well and they really aren't 'boys' over there.

What more do people want?
People will repeat aphorisms about small players rather than assessing Gaudreau as an individual player.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:09 AM
FrankMTL

He's got great skill, but these small players are so hard to project...For every Brian Gionta, there's a Corey Locke, Brandon Reid and Jordan Schroeder. I've been impressed by him, but i'll hold off judgement until I see him at a higher level.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Broad Street Elite

There is absolutely nothing the kid can do at this point before playing at the NHl or, at least, the AHL level. The knock is that his game doesn't translate to the highest levels of the sport. That's a fair stance given the past failings of other diminuitive prospects.

My opinion is that Gaudreau will be an NHL caliber player, but I would personally be surprised (pleasantly) if his game translates enough at the NHL to be a star. I'm not a Calgary fan at all, but it's easy to cheer for a kid who has been told his whole life that he can't do what he wants and has thus far proven the naysayers wrong.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:45 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Nathan Gerbe also tore apart the NCAA at, that's right, Boston College.
Average player in the NHL sure but he will never be more than that.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:01 AM
bsmith14

Ennis, St. Louis, Desharnais, Fleury, Gerbe all are either ridiculously fast and shifty, or very very strong, or both. How does Gaudreau`s footspeed compare to Ennis? I know his hands and IQ are great. Also a guy like Ennis is fearless when playing against the biggest defenders, does Gaudreau compare in that area?

Old
01-04-2013, 10:28 AM
SaintMorose

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Just as a comparison to gerbe doing the same thing...

Gerbe rookie at BC 39GP 11-7-18
Gaudreau same age rookie at BC 44GP 21-23-44 + 2 MVP awards

the next year Gerbe broke out
41GP 25-22-47 1.1pts/game

so far Johnny Hockey
14GP 11-12-23 1.6pts/game still leading the league in goals + leader in goals at WJC while he's away from hockey east

at the WJC...
0goals in 2 years for Gerbe
at least 7goals in 1 year for Gaudreau

Gaudreau now listed as 5'9" in places (I don't think he is but I do think he'll likely grow to it)

So I'm going to continue to think his ceiling is a bit higher than becoming Nathan Gerbe (not that Gerbe is a bad player)

Old
01-04-2013, 10:37 AM
bsmith14

Thing about Gaudreau is how physically immature he looks. This is a good thing. At 19 Gerbe was 5'5" but was built like a man. Gaudreau may not grow a lot more but he certainely is not done developing. If he can do what he is doing while being that young looking then I can imagine by 24 years old he will be that much faster and stronger.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
tfong
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Ennis, St. Louis, Desharnais, Fleury, Gerbe all are either ridiculously fast and shifty, or very very strong, or both. How does Gaudreau`s footspeed compare to Ennis? I know his hands and IQ are great. Also a guy like Ennis is fearless when playing against the biggest defenders, does Gaudreau compare in that area?
He is not as fast as Ennis but same level agility. But Ennis plays a higher tempo game in comparison where JG might be more cerebral.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:20 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Yeah, as someone who's watched a lot of Ennis, Gudreau seems more deliberate while Tyler is more chaotic and skittering.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:25 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
This kid is the flavor of the week. Last year it was Mark Stone.

Many of the goals I've seen him score, he won't be able to do against the top Dmen in the NHL. His skillset makes fools out of boys, but when he plays against men, it's less likely to translate. Given that he is a top 6 guy or bust, he would mostly be playing against other teams top 4 Dmen, making his chances even slimmer.

Yes, Martin St-Louis, Tyler Ennis and David Desharnais exist... but for every one of those, there are 100's if not 1000's of Corey Locke's.

I'm not saying he's going to be Corey Locke. I'm not saying he's not going to be Ennis. I'm just sating it's stupid to speculate how good a guy like this will be, because his size makes it almost impossible to predict.

And for the record... he looks shorter than Grimaldi, and 2 months ago, people were saying Grimaldi > Gaudreau. Funny how one tournament can make a guy a superstar, lol
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1266933
for every bobby ryan/james neal/pat marleua there is 100's of benoit pouliot's. its no different for any other player, not just short ones.

and its not just ome tourney. its last season for bostom, this season for boston, the wjc's, outscoring him in the ushl...

his iq is off the charts and hes excelled at every level hes played. hes got a pn eberle like knack for the game. and eberle isnt much bigger,

Old
01-04-2013, 12:16 PM
CaptainCrunch67

There's no pressure for the Flames to push him into the pro's, he'll continue to develop in one of the best coached programs in the NCAA, who knows what kind of leaps this kid will take both physically and hockey wise over the next 2 and a half seasons.

This kid is what you call a intriguing prospect, you don't trade him at any point unless the offer makes real sense and since the Flames need good prospects the offers aren't going to make sense.

In terms of value as a fourth round pick, his value is off the charts.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:17 PM
DogsFan*

Kid is like 5 foot nothing. I hardly expect his game to translate as well to the NHL.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
bloggerfanthe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
Kid is like 5 foot nothing. I hardly expect his game to translate as well to the NHL.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:39 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 81
Quote:
Well that settles it. Lock this up mods

Old
01-04-2013, 02:29 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Let's not be dismissive.

Almost every kid who's ever played hockey would be thrilled to top out as an "average player in the NHL". So would his family and every coach and teammate he's ever had.

That would still be an incredible achievement.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Fantomas

Mock this up, lods.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:43 PM
madmike77

He's been awesome so far, but as many have noted his size makes him a wild card.

As a long-time Flames fan I remember dismissing Fleury after the Flames drafted him in the 8th round, so I won't make that mistake again. Anything is possible.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:35 PM
kiwidevil

If he has the smarts to be an all around player he will be a really good player. Small guys with skill have their place.

Tedenby is an example, at times he looked like our best player but he doesn't seem to have the all around hockey smarts to garner the minutes his skill deserves.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:38 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
/thread

Oh wait...

Someone forgot to tell these guys they were too small. According to your arguement Hugh Jessiman should be an all star. I think projecting hockey players has a "little" more to it than tape measurements bud. Pun intended.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:42 PM
bloggerfanthe*

You forgot:

and

This dude has no idea what he is talking about. Must be a new fan to hockey?

Old
01-04-2013, 03:51 PM
DogsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Well that settles it. Lock this up mods
I said I don't think his game will translate well into the NHL. Now I got kids ****ing PMimg me freaking out saying I don't know anything about hockey. Funny. I guess since there are small players in the NHL that means Gaudreau is magically going to make it. Difference with Gaudreau is that he's build is that of a 10 year old. It's funny you say that they won't make it because I said so, but then go and assume he will make it because other small players made it... Corey Locke ring any bells??

Old
01-04-2013, 04:22 PM
JohnnyGoodDro
haatley

Quote:
I said I don't think his game will translate well into the NHL. Now I got kids ****ing PMimg me freaking out saying I don't know anything about hockey. Funny. I guess since there are small players in the NHL that means Gaudreau is magically going to make it. Difference with Gaudreau is that he's build is that of a 10 year old. It's funny you say that they won't make it because I said so, but then go and assume he will make it because other small players made it... Corey Locke ring any bells??
why so angry?

Old
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
I'm not sure why anyone pm'ed you based on your post because it had no substance. The only reason you gave for saying he wasn't going to make it was because of his size and you are blaming others for saying he will make it because of size. The others are just stating that your lone negative input of size does not make a good evaluation of NHL potential.

And not sure I follow your thinking on him looking or built like a 10 year old. I'm not thinking this will sink in for you but a scout would rather see a young player dominating who is built and looks 4 or 5 years younger than a player who is dominating but appears to be a grown man already.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:42 PM
tfong
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Why does everyone use Corey Locke as an example? I his name has been mentioned so much in this thread lol.

Problem with Locke was he was slow AND small.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:48 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
I think your getting PM's from ppl (which they dont need to be doing) because you made an assinine comment with nothing to back it up. I can say "Andrew Luck will only ever have one good year in the NFL and that was this year" but I should clarify why I think that otherwise I risk ridicule. Gaudreau is tearing up the NCAA and the WJ's while built like a ten year old....is this supposed to be a bad thing? Kid is a late bloomer physically. Is he going to look like a 10 year old his whole life? Better than being small and developing early (like say Rocco Grimaldi).

Closed Thread