HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry rants about foreign players in the CHL

Old
01-04-2013, 04:59 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
There was a great write-up on Yahoo about Cherry's tired old rants.

Does he stop to think that maybe it works both ways?

Would Christine Sinclair be where she is now if her game wasn't honed and perfected through the NCAA, at the University of Portland?

How about all the Canadian basketballers with dreams of making the NBA, who earn U.S. scholarships and pursue their dreams in the States?

Should the U.S. refuse to accept or train any worthy Canadian athletes simply because they weren't "fortunate" enough to have been born there?

I don't think so.
The US should do what it thinks is best for the US.

The CHL already has an import rule that nobody complains about. But when Cherry suggests lowering the number from 2 to zero, he gets a response.

Don gets what he wants and hockey boards get a topic that isn't strike related.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:00 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNuge View Post
I think this rant among all by cherry puts the proverbial cherry on the cake..

Hes saying that the talent is developed in the CHL, come on let's look at some of the greats of the game that never stepped foot in the CHL... Swedes ( forsberg, sundin, lidstrom,alfie, the sedins, naslund.. To name a few.. Let's look at the fins ( selanne, the koivu's,) the Russians ( Alex ovechkin, malkin, gonchar) among other countries, jagr, chara...

Not saying that the CHL doesn't give the NHL quality prospects because they do.. Guys like Crosby, up and comers drouin and mackinnon...

Just saying the basis of the NHL isn't soley based on talent from the CHL,
/rant
You must be anti American

Old
01-04-2013, 05:02 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Overall, it just seems like a opinionated, reactionary rant when Team Canada lost.
That's pretty much what Cherry said in the article.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:03 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
I don't care what you say - we're keeping Scarlett Johansson.

Please take Nickleback though!
Possession is 9/10ths, they are all yours.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Does anyone have a breakdown of the CHL players by nationality? Considering 13.3% of CHL teams are based in the United States, I'm curious to see how many CHL players come from the United States and Europe. If it's under 13.3%, then Canada is already overrepresented in the CHL.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:32 PM
TieClark

I can understand his point for sure. The CHL is a junior development league in Canada yet it also develops a lot of foreign talent. In the name of the game it makes sense but when you're heated in a tournament like this it doesn't. Every country developing their own talent and then bringing it into this competition makes more sense but at the same time, the end game is the NHL where the best of the best should be playing.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:36 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Johnny Gaudreau and Jake McCabe approve of this thread.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
And just to clarify, it's not racism, it's xenophobia. And it's stupid. He wants to shut doors in kids' faces because of where they're born. Pathetic.
Let me ask you... since the CHL (WHL, OHL and QMJHL) is limiting the number of "imports", is it also xenophobia? Or are you just proud to be using a big word? For what it's worth, I think you're just missing Cherry's point and you're using the wave against him to spread your dislike of him, like many do here.... but I could be wrong, it's after all just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Does this mean that Canadian players aren't allowed to play overseas in lockouts? After all. It's not there leagues.

Noting but Xenophobia. If players weren't able to come over the game as a whole would be worse.
To be fair to Grapes, he's been on record on his Twitter and everywhere saying that NHLers should NOT be taking jobs in Europe during the lockout. Nice try though.

Quote:
Different perspective from an American. Isn't the CHL a for-profit business, and their primary goal is to put the best product on the ice for the fans who pay to see the games? While they do develop talent - the CHL's primary goal isn't to get players ready for the NHL.

It's just my perspective that by doing a good job of getting players ready for the NHL, they receive the following benefits.

1) They get to add more elite talent to the league from overseas in the way of gifted players who see the CHL as the best way to prepare for the NHL.
2) Because the NHL respects the job they do, the NHL agrees to a series of restrictions which includes restricting players who were drafting out of the CHL from playing in the AHL until they are 20 years old, and the NHL not being able to call up CHL players during the CHL season (except on an emergency basis).

That being the case - wouldn't it be the paying fans who pay for restricting the CHL to Canadian citizens only? It's not like there is an elite level talent Canadien kid cut from the CHL to make room for Nail Yakupov.

And if the CHL is really the best place to develop talent for the NHL - what benefit is there to restricting it to Canadian kids? Overall, it just seems like a opinionated, reactionary rant when Team Canada lost.
All good and valid points, all subject to a good debate for sure. Here's the example of someone who understands how to debate as opposed to taking the lazy and weak way of pouncing on Don Cherry.

I for one would prefer seeing the CHL focus on developing Canadian talent. I do understand that players in Canada who have paid their dues through Canadian minor hockey associations, with parents buying sticks, paying taxes here, contributing to the economy, should have that spot, that chance, that opportunity to develop more at the CHL level. I'd rather sacrifice a bit of skills to see that but that's a very personal preference. Someone else may think different and they wouldn't be wrong, just like I don't think I am.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:39 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

How about we close the NCAA to the hundreds of Canadians that reap the benefit of a free college education each year.

01-04-2013, 05:43 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Does anyone have a breakdown of the CHL players by nationality? Considering 13.3% of CHL teams are based in the United States, I'm curious to see how many CHL players come from the United States and Europe. If it's under 13.3%, then Canada is already overrepresented in the CHL.
Here you go: LHJMQ, WHL and OHL (scroll down).

Looks like US and European players add up to somewhere around the 13.3% mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
How about we close the NCAA to the hundreds of Canadians that reap the benefit of a free college education each year.

457 players this year. About one in three.

Last edited by jekoh: 01-04-2013 at 05:49 PM.
jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:05 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashtyAttack View Post
Don Cherry? Is that you?
The USHL limits imports to 4 per team but that includes Canadians.

Just saying....

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
In other news, water is wet and the sun rises in the east.

And just to clarify, it's not racism, it's xenophobia. And it's stupid. He wants to shut doors in kids' faces because of where they're born. Pathetic.
Agreed

Really don't know what the guys problem is. Getting mad that other Nations are getting stronger in the sport? It's good for the sport, that is all that matters.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:26 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post

So you know, players in the CHL get a year of full scholarship in university for each year played. The CHL already limits non NA players, where is all of the outrage?

Old
01-04-2013, 06:30 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Agreed

Really don't know what the guys problem is. Getting mad that other Nations are getting stronger in the sport? It's good for the sport, that is all that matters.
You don't know what Don Cherry's problem is? It's his schtick, always has been.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:30 PM
MoreOrr
B4

If the NHL doesn't get fixed soon, then who's going to rant about Canadian players in the KHL?

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Don Cherry is only on the air because the old people like him.

Take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:37 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Don Cherry is only on the air because the old people like him.

Take everything he says with a grain of salt.
That's really not true. Coaches Corner is on the air because it gets ridiculous ratings. You don't need to like him, they just need to know you are watching. Or discussing him on an internet forum during a lockout. Here you are.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Dave Karp

I'm a Cherry supporter and I agree with this to certain extent. You have to look at two ways: either you want the best talent possible (with restrictions) or you want the best talent from the country that you're in.

I'm on the fence. I enjoy watching guys like Yakupov in the OHL. Heck, my favourite Frontenac when I was a STH was an import. However, on the flip side you have capable players within your own country who have played hockey all their lives wanting a chance to play the highest level, being weeded out by a kid from some where else looking to fast track their career or trying to get a second chance at a shot in the NHL. If my kid got cut due to another kid coming from another country simply to improve his draft stock, I think I'd be rattled. I've always respected Cherry for sticking to his guns on this topic; never selecting an import player.

A totally different way of looking at it is universities. Some people are bothered that they have a set amount of spots for International students, who the university needs due to their high fees, but it's taking away from kids that could be getting a top notch education. If you look at the top schools in Canada, there are a heck of a lot of International students. Now imagine there were only 20 schools that you could attend that would fast track to your destined career and Internationals took up 10% of the populace. I think people would be saying the exact same things, and they wouldn't be called xenophobic dinosaurs for it either.

And as for it pertains to Americans that was highlighted on a Yahoo! blog, the point Cherry is trying to say is that a lot of Americans are being trained in the OHL so it isn't that surprising to have them beat us (Canada). While it may seem like Cherry is diminishing the credit owed to the Americans (which he is), I think the point is more that we should be proud of HockeyCanada and the way we develop players. He's trying to find a positive in a negative.

Last edited by Dave Karp: 01-04-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
That's really not true. Coaches Corner is on the air because it gets ridiculous ratings. You don't need to like him, they just need to know you are watching. Or discussing him on an internet forum during a lockout. Here you are.
If Don Cherry's antiquated views on hockey are what the CBC decides is good television and good for the bottom line....well, that's their issue.

Definitely not a decision I'd be comfortable making. Ratings be damned, I wouldn't want someone of Cherry's ilk drawing in viewers solely because everyone wants to know what boneheaded thing he'll say next.

01-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Wouldn't the league be better welcoming players abroad that are willing to pay?

Say they're taking the place of 3/4th line potential grinders in the AHL who won't be paying the total amount - surely that's better financially for the league?

If you catch my drift.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Xamboni
BoVat Horseman

He's part of the generation who were unfortunately educated to be xenophobic/racist/homophobic. Fortunately the cycle of life will cleanse the world of this generation and their primitive bigotry and beliefs.

Xamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Xamboni
BoVat Horseman

As for "foreigners" playing in the CHL, as a fan of the CHL I want my team to win and have the best players. Doesn't matter where those players are from.

Xamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:13 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
If Don Cherry's antiquated views on hockey are what the CBC decides is good television and good for the bottom line....well, that's their issue.

Definitely not a decision I'd be comfortable making. Ratings be damned, I wouldn't want someone of Cherry's ilk drawing in viewers solely because everyone wants to know what boneheaded thing he'll say next.
TV is about ratings, it's the same reason why the CBC ensures that the Maple Leafs will be playing every Saturday night at 7EST no matter how meaningless their games are.

Cherry has a devoted fanbase, and believe it or not, it's not just a bunch of mouthbreathing high school dropouts.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:13 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Ouellet View Post
As for "foreigners" playing in the CHL, as a fan of the CHL I want my team to win and have the best players. Doesn't matter where those players are from.
Bad news, the CHL only allows your team to have 2 foreigners.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:15 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Ouellet View Post
He's part of the generation who were unfortunately educated to be xenophobic/racist/homophobic. Fortunately the cycle of life will cleanse the world of this generation and their primitive bigotry and beliefs.
I admire your hopefulness, but you must be kidding.