HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 01:39 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
Kid is like 5 foot nothing. I hardly expect his game to translate as well to the NHL.
Well that settles it. Lock this up mods

Old
01-04-2013, 02:29 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Nathan Gerbe also tore apart the NCAA at, that's right, Boston College.
Average player in the NHL sure but he will never be more than that.
Let's not be dismissive.

Almost every kid who's ever played hockey would be thrilled to top out as an "average player in the NHL". So would his family and every coach and teammate he's ever had.

That would still be an incredible achievement.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Fantomas

Mock this up, lods.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:43 PM
madmike77

He's been awesome so far, but as many have noted his size makes him a wild card.

As a long-time Flames fan I remember dismissing Fleury after the Flames drafted him in the 8th round, so I won't make that mistake again. Anything is possible.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:35 PM
kiwidevil

If he has the smarts to be an all around player he will be a really good player. Small guys with skill have their place.

Tedenby is an example, at times he looked like our best player but he doesn't seem to have the all around hockey smarts to garner the minutes his skill deserves.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:38 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Kid is like 5 foot nothing. I hardly expect his game to translate as well to the NHL.
/thread

Oh wait...

Someone forgot to tell these guys they were too small. According to your arguement Hugh Jessiman should be an all star. I think projecting hockey players has a "little" more to it than tape measurements bud. Pun intended.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:42 PM
bloggerfanthe*

You forgot:

and

This dude has no idea what he is talking about. Must be a new fan to hockey?

Old
01-04-2013, 03:51 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Well that settles it. Lock this up mods
I said I don't think his game will translate well into the NHL. Now I got kids ****ing PMimg me freaking out saying I don't know anything about hockey. Funny. I guess since there are small players in the NHL that means Gaudreau is magically going to make it. Difference with Gaudreau is that he's build is that of a 10 year old. It's funny you say that they won't make it because I said so, but then go and assume he will make it because other small players made it... Corey Locke ring any bells??

Old
01-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
I said I don't think his game will translate well into the NHL. Now I got kids ****ing PMimg me freaking out saying I don't know anything about hockey. Funny. I guess since there are small players in the NHL that means Gaudreau is magically going to make it. Difference with Gaudreau is that he's build is that of a 10 year old. It's funny you say that they won't make it because I said so, but then go and assume he will make it because other small players made it... Corey Locke ring any bells??
why so angry?

Old
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
I'm not sure why anyone pm'ed you based on your post because it had no substance. The only reason you gave for saying he wasn't going to make it was because of his size and you are blaming others for saying he will make it because of size. The others are just stating that your lone negative input of size does not make a good evaluation of NHL potential.

And not sure I follow your thinking on him looking or built like a 10 year old. I'm not thinking this will sink in for you but a scout would rather see a young player dominating who is built and looks 4 or 5 years younger than a player who is dominating but appears to be a grown man already.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:42 PM
tfong

Why does everyone use Corey Locke as an example? I his name has been mentioned so much in this thread lol.

Problem with Locke was he was slow AND small.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:48 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
I think your getting PM's from ppl (which they dont need to be doing) because you made an assinine comment with nothing to back it up. I can say "Andrew Luck will only ever have one good year in the NFL and that was this year" but I should clarify why I think that otherwise I risk ridicule. Gaudreau is tearing up the NCAA and the WJ's while built like a ten year old....is this supposed to be a bad thing? Kid is a late bloomer physically. Is he going to look like a 10 year old his whole life? Better than being small and developing early (like say Rocco Grimaldi).

Old
01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
why so angry?
Habs fan don't like that he's putting Galchenyuk to shame.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:27 PM
hockeyjockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Please, 3 of his 7 goals were gimmies... left wide open by crappy defensemen that don't understand positioning... Also, he was guaranteed ice time since he has those incriminating photos of Housely.

In all seriousness, he got playing time with players that actually play... Kurally, not so much.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by UvBnDatsyuked View Post
I'm not sure why anyone pm'ed you based on your post because it had no substance. The only reason you gave for saying he wasn't going to make it was because of his size and you are blaming others for saying he will make it because of size. The others are just stating that your lone negative input of size does not make a good evaluation of NHL potential.

And not sure I follow your thinking on him looking or built like a 10 year old. I'm not thinking this will sink in for you but a scout would rather see a young player dominating who is built and looks 4 or 5 years younger than a player who is dominating but appears to be a grown man already.
It isn't just his size. Calgary plays an aggressive style, their forecheck is why they have been dominating the Oil for the past few years.

His success in the NHL depends on his use on the PP, and how Hartley will coach the team. Under the Sutter regime he would have been out of place.

Yes Calgary desperately needs more high end skill in the top 6. But at the same time, with Iginla eventually on the way out. They risk losing their edge.

He is very much a top 6 or bust player. I never doubted the kids skill. It is whether he can transition into the NHL.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:54 PM
mossy joe
keep it riel

vCash: 50
i like gaudreau a lot and i have for a while now, but i'm seriously puzzled about his odds of becoming an impact player. as mentioned, he is exceptionally small, and it doesn't seem like he genetically can add any substantial amount of weight. also, he has essentially zero element of grit to his game.

phenomenally smart hockey IQ, great skater, great hands, great pressure performer. all elements that make me want this kid to overcome the odds, but there doesn't seem to be any relevant precedent for a player of this sort that went on to be successful.

nathan gerbe is 28lbs heavier than he is. my heart wants this kid to set the world on fire but my head tells me that he's going to have a tough uphill battle (not unlike the battle he's had to be successful in hockey up until this point). i truly hope he's successful.

(oilers fan)

Old
01-04-2013, 06:13 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
It isn't just his size. Calgary plays an aggressive style, their forecheck is why they have been dominating the Oil for the past few years.

His success in the NHL depends on his use on the PP, and how Hartley will coach the team. Under the Sutter regime he would have been out of place.

Yes Calgary desperately needs more high end skill in the top 6. But at the same time, with Iginla eventually on the way out. They risk losing their edge.

He is very much a top 6 or bust player. I never doubted the kids skill. It is whether he can transition into the NHL.
No s/h*t ! There are many reasons why any prospect will not make the NHL

My response was to DogsFan post where his size was the only thing he pointed out and then he questioned everyone who did the same thing on the flip side of the arguement.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Tyler Ennis was a first rounder and he has very similar body type to Gaudreau. The only difference is that Ennis had a full year of development on Gaudreau in their respective draft years. Gaudreau was one of the youngest players taken in the 2011 draft, while Ennis was one of the oldest taken in 2008. Would anyone doubt that Gaudreau would have been a first rounder in the 2012 draft after coming off a PPG season in the NCAA, and a National Championship?
This youngest player in the draft to the oldest player in the draft is so over used.

Players get drafted in their draft years period, no matter how you would slice it one year is a 365 day period.

His birthday didn't hold him back in the 11 draft his size did.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:34 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
This youngest player in the draft to the oldest player in the draft is so over used.

Players get drafted in their draft years period, no matter how you would slice it one year is a 365 day period.

His point was, had Gaudreau been that much older and already had his PPG rookie season in the NCAA under his belt, there is no way he would have been a 4th rounder.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:50 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post

I simply disagree. If he was a month older he would have been a first round pick in 2012, and at worst an early second round pick. I honestly don't see how you could disagree with that either. Yes his size was the main reason for him dropping, but so was playing in a lesser known program (Dubuque) due to his inexperience and age.

For example if you go and take a look at recent drafts, 4 out of the last 6 players selected first overall have had the added benefit of missing out on their prior draft year by less than two months. The extra 10 months these players had on the youngest players in their respective draft class is huge for not only physical growth and experience but for the exposure it brings as well.

Like I said, do you honestly believe that if Gaudreau came into the 2012 draft with a PPG season in the NCAA, and Hockey East Tournament MVP under his belt that he would not have challenged for a first round selection? That one month made a HUGE difference in this specific situation. I am not saying it does for every player, but it certainly affected Gaudreau and the Flames.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Quote:
9 pts to 8 is putting him to shame? Not to mention Gaudreau has been getting about twice the ice time of Galchenyuk the entire tournament and only exploded offensively in the last 3 games.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyutinMyOwnHorn View Post
9 pts to 8 is putting him to shame? Not to mention Gaudreau has been getting about twice the ice time of Galchenyuk the entire tournament and only exploded offensively in the last 3 games.
3 games is all it took him to match Galchenyuks full tournament production? Not too bad.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Quote:
3 games is all it took him to match Galchenyuks full tournament production? Not too bad.
Galchenyuk's tournament production took place over roughly the same amount of games. Started strong, fizzled out. Gaudreau was the same, just in reverse.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:08 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post

Without Kipper, I'm fairly certain the Oil are even if not have an edge on us this coming year already. Its not like Calgary defense corp is anything to boast about and the Oil have offense oozing out the wazoo.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:08 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by UvBnDatsyuked View Post
Gaudreau is not magically going to change his build. Even if he does put on muscle, there is only so much you can do before its too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Why does everyone use Corey Locke as an example? I his name has been mentioned so much in this thread lol.

Problem with Locke was he was slow AND small.
Locke played 4 or 5 seasons with the Bulldogs, whom I cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I think your getting PM's from ppl (which they dont need to be doing) because you made an assinine comment with nothing to back it up. I can say "Andrew Luck will only ever have one good year in the NFL and that was this year" but I should clarify why I think that otherwise I risk ridicule. Gaudreau is tearing up the NCAA and the WJ's while built like a ten year old....is this supposed to be a bad thing? Kid is a late bloomer physically. Is he going to look like a 10 year old his whole life? Better than being small and developing early (like say Rocco Grimaldi).
Andrew Luck is already at the top level there is. NCAA season is what, 34 some odd games? Hard to really compare to the rigors of the NHL like the physicality as well as the travel, etc. All I said was "I hardly expect his game to translate well to the NHL" meaning, I don't think you'll see him dominating the competition like he does against junior players. IMO Grigorenko is the steal of the draft at #12.

Closed Thread