HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers' 2013 regular season schedule (posts #1 and #552). CBA officially ratified.

View Poll Results: How will you show your displeasure with the lockout when NHL hockey returns?
I will not attend any live games 8 10.96%
I will not attend live games, nor will I purchase NHL merchandise 22 30.14%
I will attend live games, but fewer games than in previous years 5 6.85%
I have season's tickets, but I will spend less on merchandise and concessions 3 4.11%
I have season's tickets and I will skip the first game 1 1.37%
I will be so happy that hockey is back that I will attend as many or more games than usual 14 19.18%
Purplemonkeydishwasher 20 27.40%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-04-2013, 01:11 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
So wait they ask for and get and now they're upset?

What a bunch of idiots.

thats what i was just about to say.

i hope i somehow misunderstood cause that is just ridiculous.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
So wait they ask for and get and now they're upset?

What a bunch of idiots.

They're upset because Bettman said [paraphrasing]: Some GMs would like to dismantle their teams because they gave out some contracts they regret.

Thin skinned players then get mad and want to know which GMs made said comments.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Andy Strickland
‏@andystrickland
#NHL players will have a chance to vote on whatever offer exists at the deadline...players give me the impression they'll vote to play

01-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Andy Strickland
‏@andystrickland
#NHL players will have a chance to vote on whatever offer exists at the deadline...players give me the impression they'll vote to play
I hope that's accurate.

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:18 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
I hope that's accurate.
as do i but i don't really get how that would work. the voting process would probably take a couple days and if the deadline is Jan. 11th then they would have to vote on whatever offer is on the table on say Jan. 9th or so.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Prongo
Beer

Love watching my twitter time line. Fun stuff watching everyone spin this in to which ever "side" they are supporting.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Damaged Goods

No difference. If this whole thing only results in a shortened season, it's just water under the bridge.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

adater ‏@adater
Per @RenLavoieRDS, NHLPA wants minimum salaries to be $800,000 in year 9 if they agree to 10-year CBA

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
They're upset because Bettman said [paraphrasing]: Some GMs would like to dismantle their teams because they gave out some contracts they regret.

Thin skinned players then get mad and want to know which GMs made said comments.
Players not in meeting also expressing outrage over buyouts

Quote:
Gionta: "Guys were signing good faith with the cap being at a certain point so the biggest thing is trying to honour what was already given and not cutting guys down or making buyouts".
Clearly players also have no understanding of how CBA"s work ,, It said in there contract when signing that all deals are subject to terms of future CBA"s

So there was never a guarantee financially ever when they signed there contracts that they would be paid in full

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Just because the CBA gives the owners an out if they negotiate a different CBA, doesn't mean it's any less of a crappy move to sign a bunch of contracts right before a lockout without the intention of ever honoring them. It destroys trust between the two parties and makes already bad relations even worse. Bettman and the owners have clearly poisoned the well at least three times during this debacle...all of it was avoidable, and only served to damage negotiations. If you're a car salesman and you intentionally sell someone a lemon, they're going to be malcontent if they have to deal with you to get a new car right after it fails. The same applies here.

01-04-2013, 04:57 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Players not in meeting also expressing outrage over buyouts

Clearly players also have no understanding of how CBA"s work ,, It said in there contract when signing that all deals are subject to terms of future CBA"s

So there was never a guarantee financially ever when they signed there contracts that they would be paid in full
its obvious that the players don't read their contracts. i guess it's up to their agents to properly inform them of those details and it apparently never happened. making comments like that after the fact just makes them look stupid. and from what i understand this is a pretty big issue too.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Just because the CBA gives the owners an out if they negotiate a different CBA, doesn't mean it's any less of a crappy move to sign a bunch of contracts right before a lockout without the intention of ever honoring them. It destroys trust between the two parties and makes already bad relations even worse. Bettman and the owners have clearly poisoned the well at least three times during this debacle...all of it was avoidable, and only served to damage negotiations.
this is also true. if a player is a yr or two into a long term contract i could see how you'd be upset but honestly most buyouts are not used in those situation. it's more likely a player in Briere's situation would be bought out imo.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Players knew lockout was coming and drastic changes were coming with next CBA

Signing contracts and thinking they would not be effected by coming changes is foolish and again points to players unable to grip common sense

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Players knew lockout was coming and drastic changes were coming with next CBA

Signing contracts and thinking they would not be effected by coming changes is foolish and again points to players unable to grip common sense
They trusted the owners to not screw them over. The owners decided to betray that trust, and it has had a negative effect. The owners shot themselves, and by extension us as fans, in the foot. Getting the owners to honor those contracts has been a major sticking point and has created a lot of anger for the PA. Unions have long memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post

this is also true. if a player is a yr or two into a long term contract i could see how you'd be upset but honestly most buyouts are not used in those situation. it's more likely a player in Briere's situation would be bought out imo.
I get the sense that the biggest source of outrage comes from guys like Leipold and Jacobs signing players to big contracts and then leading the charge against them. Guys like Briere are impacted far less than those players, since Briere has already been paid most of his contract.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post

The owners are free to do whatever the hell they want with the buy outs. Should have thought about the downside before asking for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Andy Strickland
‏@andystrickland
Thats an interesting tweet.

01-04-2013, 05:40 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Using current CBA numbers (obviously subject to change):

Players over the age of 26 will still get 2/3 of their remaining contracts, plus they'll get to sign a new contract with their new club. Players under 26 get 1/3 of their remaining contract.

As an example, say Shea Weber is bought out and he has $100M (for ease of explanation) left on his contract; he gets $66.7M, plus the opportunity to sign somewhere else.

I understand being upset if you're a player that has settled into a city seemingly for the remainder of your career and then you're bought out. I imagine a lot of these buyouts will be for high cap hits with only a couple years remaining, though.

Edit: Beef, Suter & Parise will each get over $57M if they're bought out and I highly doubt that Minnesota would use their buyouts on either of these guys.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 01-04-2013 at 05:49 PM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:06 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412797

nice link,

also The mediator is meeting with both parties seperatly, in 2 different buildings. This actually is good, think progress can be made with fehr not looking at bettman directly.

PHILOUDELPHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Using current CBA numbers (obviously subject to change):

Players over the age of 26 will still get 2/3 of their remaining contracts, plus they'll get to sign a new contract with their new club. Players under 26 get 1/3 of their remaining contract.

As an example, say Shea Weber is bought out and he has $100M (for ease of explanation) left on his contract; he gets $66.7M, plus the opportunity to sign somewhere else.

I understand being upset if you're a player that has settled into a city seemingly for the remainder of your career and then you're bought out. I imagine a lot of these buyouts will be for high cap hits with only a couple years remaining, though.

Edit: Beef, Suter & Parise will each get over $57M if they're bought out and I highly doubt that Minnesota would use their buyouts on either of these guys.
I wasn't referring to the buyouts, I was referring to the owners attempt to refuse the make whole thingy.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Kermit the Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILOUDELPHIA View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412797

nice link,

also The mediator is meeting with both parties seperatly, in 2 different buildings. This actually is good, think progress can be made with fehr not looking at bettman directly.
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing both Bettman and Fehr in a monkey knife fight. Step 1 - get knife from monkey. Step 2 - ... Step 3 - one man leaves on his feet.

Ok, enough with that nonsense. I do, however, want to compliment the level of discourse in this thread series. Even voices from far afield are met with intelligent responses and respectful disagreement. There are some very well-informed posters here with solid opinions - even the one with whom I disagree - and facts, overall, have not been lacking.

This thread series has been as good a centralized place as any to get Tweets, quotes, news and their repercussions about this epic embarrassment.

Kermit the Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:35 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit the Prog View Post
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing both Bettman and Fehr in a monkey knife fight. Step 1 - get knife from monkey. Step 2 - ... Step 3 - one man leaves on his feet.

Ok, enough with that nonsense. I do, however, want to compliment the level of discourse in this thread series. Even voices from far afield are met with intelligent responses and respectful disagreement. There are some very well-informed posters here with solid opinions - even the one with whom I disagree - and facts, overall, have not been lacking.

This thread series has been as good a centralized place as any to get Tweets, quotes, news and their repercussions about this epic embarrassment.

well here is the fight

Fehr plays peter, gary is the chicken taking bets let me know who you think wins

Old
01-04-2013, 09:28 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur

He knew the risks, I guess. RT @reporterchris: Scot Beckenbaugh was also part of the mediated sessions between NHL/NHLPA in February 2005.
Quote:
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN

Mediation still going on thanx to the fed's scot beckenbaugh
Quote:
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN

Mediator still going strong at #cba talks
Quote:
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

Mediation done for the night. Will start at 10:30 am on Saturday
https://twitter.com/tpanotchCSN

I wonder if Scott, is actually making any progress but they are still meeting which is very good sign.

Last edited by PHILOUDELPHIA: 01-04-2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: addition
Old
01-05-2013, 03:42 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Apparently he's constantly going from the NHLPA hotel to the NHL hotel, which is 3 blocks away. He looks like he's up there in years and it's pretty cold, so I hope somebody has paid for a driver for the guy. Putting up with the bickering AND the NYC winter would be obnoxious.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:56 AM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Apparently he's constantly going from the NHLPA hotel to the NHL hotel, which is 3 blocks away. He looks like he's up there in years and it's pretty cold, so I hope somebody has paid for a driver for the guy. Putting up with the bickering AND the NYC winter would be obnoxious.
actually even overnight sometimes in times square its quicker to walk.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:04 AM
PhilaFlyers

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:26 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
NYC winter? 5C! Holy cow, he's probably freezing to death!

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
NHL and NHLPA will meet with mediator at 1;15 pm ET

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote