HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Cherry: CHL should stop letting Americans and Europeans to play in CHL (merged)

Old
01-04-2013, 03:31 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
That's not true at all for Sweden juniors at least where an EXTREME minority plays in Canada, and I can not think for a second that most of the stars in Finland and Russia developed in Canada.
You're right but the most recent 2nd overall pick to play in the NHL is a Swede from the CHL.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:32 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Yes, he is an old racist and an narrow minded fool. We all know that
I don't think he's racist - more jingoistic and xenophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
You're right but the most recent 2nd overall pick is a Swede from the CHL.
actually, the most recent is a Canadian from the WHL. The one before is the Swede ... and from that draft, the #4 pick is a Swede from the SEL.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Cherry isn't a racist, he simply will defend Canada to a fault.

I agree with him that a lot more American and European guys are making their way to the CHL, but his point about changing the name is stupid. There are a lot of American teams in the CHL too. What's happening in hockey is no different than what happens in soccer. Look at the young phenoms in Brazil or Argentina, or wherever, a lot of them move to countries like Spain and England at a young age in order to be schooled by the best teachers of the game.

Nazem Gretzky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:33 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

The CHL is the best incubator of NHL talent. I hope nobody would seriously dispute that.

If Cherry left it at that, there would be minimal controversy, but that's not his style.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Nick1219

What is with all the nationalistic pride here... The CHL is about providing entertainment and developing young people's talents in hockey. Regardless of what country they come from.

So Cherry's argument is that we should get rid of international players just so they don't become better players and therefore Canada dominates international tournaments? What do we get out of that? Big deal. I'd rather see the best possible hockey there is to see out of every player regardless of their country of origin.

Nick1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I would like to take the time and thank the OHL for John Gibson!

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
jekoh

Sweden has the grand total of 2 players playing for Canadian junior teams. That's not even as many as the number of Canadian players on US teams.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
It's just Don being Don.
Yes, but it has become very annoying...whether you are from Canada or the U.S.

The guy gets to spew his drama, over and over...it's one of those, love him or hate him kind of deals...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Yes, he is an old racist and an narrow minded fool. We all know that
Thank you for your insightfull comment.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:41 PM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
He's like a hysterical overprotective mom, always coming to her kids defense, even when they don't need it.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:43 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Cherry isn't a racist, he simply will defend Canada to a fault.

I agree with him that a lot more American and European guys are making their way to the CHL, but his point about changing the name is stupid. There are a lot of American teams in the CHL too. What's happening in hockey is no different than what happens in soccer. Look at the young phenoms in Brazil or Argentina, or wherever, a lot of them move to countries like Spain and England at a young age in order to be schooled by the best teachers of the game.
English football teachers are certainly no better than Argentinian football teachers.

Similarily, Canadian coaches are no better than Swedish coaches.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Matt Damon

Uh huh, and how many of Dons millionaire golden boys from Canada are stealing jobs from hard working players in Europe right now who are actually playing to support themselves and families?

Matt Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Big Phil

Cherry's been saying this for years and he isn't always wrong. After the 1999 tournament he noted how the bronze medal winning Slovaks had half their team playing in Canada. The Russian goalie played in the QMJHL (I think his name was Volkov). I am not a fan of having Europeans play in the Canadian Hockey League. Never have been. Cherry is right on this stance for sure. We should teach our own first and foremost. We just lost this recent tournament for a variety of reasons and being heartless is where I would begin.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
This is a great point. Exactly how many Canadian kids are playing NCAA at the moment? I'm guessing a whole lot.
Half of North Dakota's roster has Canadian hometowns. At a quick glance, most other WCHA teams have 3-6 from Canada, with the exception of the U, which has none.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Cherry's been saying this for years and he isn't always wrong. After the 1999 tournament he noted how the bronze medal winning Slovaks had half their team playing in Canada. The Russian goalie played in the QMJHL (I think his name was Volkov). I am not a fan of having Europeans play in the Canadian Hockey League. Never have been. Cherry is right on this stance for sure. We should teach our own first and foremost. We just lost this recent tournament for a variety of reasons and being heartless is where I would begin.
You do realize that those Europeans make the league better overall, right?

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
Oh Cherry, you're such a gem.

Is this where we now start a flame war between countries? Or has that been done to death yet?
Haha no I think we can keep things under control. I'm not surprised he said something like this. I just think Cherry has a one track old school mindset. Ive heard him trash USA Hockey on HNIC before. He is as stubborn as a mule. Where he is right though is some of the foreign teams like the Czechs and Slovaks occasionally need some CHL players. A good example is last year in Alberta the Czech team brought more CHL guys onto their roster and it really did help them in their success.

I'm not starting a flame war, I really like the CHL and follow it more than the NCAA. I go to Plymouth Whaler games all the time. I'm just proud of where we have advanced to in our junior programs, that's all.

As for the US? The guys that we take from the CHL have been playing on U.S. soil for the first 17-18 years of their lives. Besides Gally all those kids learned to play their elite level hockey in the United States under our Midget programs, and our Development teams. Seth Jones, Ryan Hartman, Tyler Biggs, and Sieloff for example have only played in the CHL for 3 months. Before that they honed their skills as a part of the US National Development Program playing against USHL teams and or NCAA College teams. So maybe for some of the European players the CHL experience will really stand out, but the U.S. players have been playing against great competition here in the states for a long time. Look at Gurgenson last year for Latvia, was a great player for them in the tournament and he played in the United States Hockey League. It developed him into a first round pick. And now is in the AHL.

So I really wouldn't look at the US roster and say "Oh, because they have some kids with experience playing major junior, that makes them a better contender for gold." Our U-20 National Junior Teams every year have a deep history of playing together for our U-17 and U-18 teams that train and play together year round. It's USUALLY when they turn 18 that they seem to sometimes part ways and play US College, or in Canada.

Last edited by Cfriss216: 01-04-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Cfriss216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:13 PM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
And thus helping the best Canadian prospects develop better, exactly.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:14 PM
slovakiasnextone

Would Mr. Cherry also recommend the good Canadian boys playing here, here and here to pack their stuff and come home?

There´s actually a number of European nations whose hockey development has IMO suffered thanks to the influx of 2nd/3rd rate Canadian players - while it mighthave made the leagues higehr quality, at the same time it took away ice-time from a lot of home players, especially the young ones. Austria and Germany before introducing foreigner limits are an example....

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:29 PM
RooneyConnSmythe12
Temporary avatar

It's just sour Grapes. hah

RooneyConnSmythe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
So, you don't care that it helps grow the game and makes for better competition as well? If your kid is getting cut because a foreigner took his spot, then he probably isn't all that great..so what is the big deal? There is a rule of teams being limited to 2 non-North Americans already.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:57 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
This is the best post in the thread, europeans make CHL better,thus helps develop the canadian kids. If all the CHL-europeans played in Superelit (swedens junior league) we would see better swedish prospect come out of Superelit. More competition, and a tougher league = better prospects.

In the long run, closing CHL to foreign players, might end up with MHL (KHLs juniorleague) being the place to go for european super-talents, which might weaken NHL and strengthen KHL. More and more of the best russian talent never leaving for NA at all and so on...

I guess Cherry would like a NHL without europeans too, if so this is a great move.

Last edited by cheerupmurray: 01-04-2013 at 05:05 PM.
cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Cool Cherry, bro.

They should change the name to "Lazy, soft euro with no heart who will never be Wendal Clark, or any other good Canadian boy"

Can I be on Coach's corner now ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Clown Baby

Ryan Parent never should have been permitted to play in the OHL. He was born in Saskatchewan.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:06 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
He may be a lot of things but nothing in his behavior has ever suggested to me that he is a racist.
I've never heard of him being a racist, but he used to HATE Russians. Back when Fedorov and Bure were dominating the league, Cherry used to blast their work ethic, their toughness, etc.... It was his fav go-to on Coaches Corner.

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:21 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
He has a point but he's missing the mark. First any Canadian that loses their spot would be marginal to begin with,

I would think that's his point. Don Cherry absolutely loves the marginal kids who just so badly want to be a hockey player because that's what he himself was as a player.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote