HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

EOJHL Regular Season Underway

Old
01-02-2013, 04:45 PM
KL14

vCash: 500
The need to separate

Who is saying the EOJHL is going to separate and why is someone (or group) pushing for this ? Is there a desire to have just a metro/valley league and forgot about the other two divisions ?

KL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Big Bear

[QUOTE=hurricane11;57012561]thank Ron McCrusty for that. He thinks the EOJHL is the CCHL no way a super league works in Junior B i can't believe they have separate websites for both leagues. What is going to happen is eventually the costs are going to get to high that the league will lose some of its longstanding franchises.

I would like start by helping you out and letting you know that you spelt Mr. McRostie wrong. I would also like to let you know that costs of EVERYTHING goes up. So is there really a difference? Who said about seperation?

Big Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Big Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff077 View Post
It is not needed, but this is the 1st step in their separation process.
As mentioned in other posts the new site is not up to date the old site does not have most of the future games. It is making the league look bush league at a timne when they should be promoting it.
However this is what a number of teams in are really pushing for in the Metro/Valley at the expense of the entire EOJHL.
The RSL was not notified about the new website deal with Pointstreak until after a deal had been struck by the Metro/Valley with Pointstreak.
Back in the 70's or 80's was there not 2 leagues? I have spoke to GM's on both sides of this fence and the RSL were well aware of the website and were offered and chose not to get involved. (Who's fault is now if we are gonna play the blame game) I seen a earlier post of where is Mr Barkley but my question is where is Mr.Shorey? I have seen and watched Pointstreak with JrA and I think its a classy program and will do wonders if and when both Conferences choose to use it

Big Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Oldschool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan6713 View Post
typical irrelevant and immature comment.

The hundreds of players in the league care about them. Like you said the parents care, then theres the friends, scouts (because college scouts and NCAA div.3 care) and others. A good example of the amount of people who check the websites are the polls, there are always a hundreds of participants...
I guess I will have to be more attentive at the games because I have never seen an NCAA scout at a jrB game. And I have been to alot of jr hockey games.

Oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Matrix20027

Morrisburg Lions trade playing rights to Mikael Dion to Winchester Hawks for future considerations

Matrix20027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Hockeyfan6713

well OHL scouts attend junior B games quite often to look at the young players, and i dont even have to mention that JR.A scouts are often there. And yes, i have heard of NCAA div 3 scouts, although they dont travel as much as junior scouts... and when they do, they mostly go to Junior A games, but wont hesitate going to Junior B games in the area (especially if they heard of guys)

Hockeyfan6713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
well OHL scouts attend junior B games quite often to look at the young players, and i dont even have to mention that JR.A scouts are often there. And yes, i have heard of NCAA div 3 scouts, although they dont travel as much as junior scouts... and when they do, they mostly go to Junior A games, but wont hesitate going to Junior B games in the area (especially if they heard of guys)
Yes OHL and junior A scouts for sure. Have never seen any NCAA, however I believe a few players have gone on to play ACHA div 1. Anyone know of any players to play d3?

Rangersfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Hockeyfan6713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
Yes OHL and junior A scouts for sure. Have never seen any NCAA, however I believe a few players have gone on to play ACHA div 1. Anyone know of any players to play d3?
i am sure there are a lot of them. Alot of ex EOJHL players are playing NHL, AHL or at least levels such as the OHL and Junior A, so why not NCAA div 3??

Acha is good hockey, but you dont go there to play hockey, it is a ''school first, hockey second'' kind of thing... In fact, NCAA div 3 also is ''school first, hockey second'' as most of them dont go pro. And i could add that CIS hockey (canadian universities) are better than NCAA div 3, so i dont see why some of you doubt that NCAA div 3 scouts would be interested....

Old
01-03-2013, 05:17 AM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
Who is saying the EOJHL is going to separate and why is someone (or group) pushing for this ? Is there a desire to have just a metro/valley league and forgot about the other two divisions ?
I've heard that there is talk next season of the metro/valley playing regular games against rideau/st lawerence. It would certainly be more interesting and allow us to see different teams. Travel might be a bit worse but I would rather that then play each team 7 times in the division.

EpicNeilTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:47 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
i am sure there are a lot of them. Alot of ex EOJHL players are playing NHL, AHL or at least levels such as the OHL and Junior A, so why not NCAA div 3??

Acha is good hockey, but you dont go there to play hockey, it is a ''school first, hockey second'' kind of thing... In fact, NCAA div 3 also is ''school first, hockey second'' as most of them dont go pro. And i could add that CIS hockey (canadian universities) are better than NCAA div 3, so i dont see why some of you doubt that NCAA div 3 scouts would be interested....
A lot? Really? Who in recent times has gone from the EOJHL to the NHL, AHL or NCAA?
Many have gone on to Jr A and a few 16 year olds will go to the OHL but that's it. The fact is that not many scholarships are handed to Jr B players, which is why there aren't any NCAA scouts at their games.

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Jeff077

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
This is something that has been in the works for over a year, the Metro/Valley pushed to have there own league constitution and there was a meeting last summer about it and it allowed the Metro/Valley the right to vote on certain things themselves without having to get a 2/3 majority vote form the entire EOJHL.
The desire in the long run is to have a "Super League" with approximately 14 teams and the majority of them will be Metro/Valley. Teams like Westport, Athens, Casselman and Winchester are the teams they would like from the RSL.
I am not saying this will happen this year but make make no mistake this has and is being discussed and worked on.

Jeff077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:08 AM
Jeff077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
Back in the 70's or 80's was there not 2 leagues? I have spoke to GM's on both sides of this fence and the RSL were well aware of the website and were offered and chose not to get involved. (Who's fault is now if we are gonna play the blame game) I seen a earlier post of where is Mr Barkley but my question is where is Mr.Shorey? I have seen and watched Pointstreak with JrA and I think its a classy program and will do wonders if and when both Conferences choose to use it
They were aware after the Metro/Valley had already committed to it and yes they were offered the opportunity to join in at the December RSL meeting that Ron attended but the cost was higher and what was the benefit of switching mid season?
Why was the deal negotiated from Metro/Valley only and the RSL not included in or informed of these negotiations?
Why have 2 seperate websites 2/3 thew way through the season that really makes the league look like two separate leagues?
Mr. Shorey is not involved becasue he is the RSL President so why would Metro/Valley work with him when they want no part of him?

The question is not about the Pointstreak website which I have agreed is better. The point is why do it now with 1/2 the treams and not as an entire league?

Jeff077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:42 AM
upinarms

Topic #1
Who cares if there are 2 different web sites, as long as people are aware of this. There are two divisions that don't play each other all year until finals. There are teams in RSL that are in bottom of standings on a regular basis. Likewise with Met/Val. A Super League might be good. Contract a few teams. Make for more travel, but probably bigger fan base.

Topic #2
Very rare (if at all) that a NCAA scout attends a JR B game. OHl yes if word gets around about a 16 year old having a good season. ( Winchester last year or Arnprior this year ) CCHL scouts attend to keep an eye on the players in their system, and to watch other younger players that might be involved in future trades.

upinarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:50 AM
KL14

Super League

I agree, talk about a super league and moving to a different web site part way through a season are separate issues. On the first point, I would be great see some other teams from the RSL as part of inter league play instead of just Metro/Valley teams all of the time. Balance becomes an issue but stuff like this can be sorted out.

Having said this, the EOJHL needs to find what its mandate is in terms of developing players. I have seen some OHL and Q scouts at games but I am sure they are there looking a specific players and not there as a general scouting assignment. The problem with player development is that the EOJHL teams are not on the ice enough. 42 games with practice once a week is not doing much to develop players. This is not a criticism, it is just a fact of players availability, the dream being over for the older players, and finally the finances to buy more ice time for games and practices.

JR B is great spot for 16 and 17 year old players, beyond that, the older guys are there for the love of the game, they are not there to practice two the three times per week on top of two games.

What could a super league do that would be any different from the current format. Perhaps with less teams the quality of play could be better, but it still will not attract any more scouts (IMO).

KL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:47 PM
longballer

Brockville Tikis trade Cody Waite to Alexandria Glens for future considerations... another player on his way out in brockville is patrick rock, waite and rock were the tikis most skilled players to start the year but looks like the tikis are going with hard working players not defense liabilities who can score. With a week left before the trade deadline and the showcase coming up this weekend it should be interesting to see that last push for some teams.. overager players like morrisburgs sylvester bzdyl, chris rutley, curtis pilon and south grenvilles ben brayman should all be expected to have a new home within a week and will alexandria unload if they cant get a couple wins this weekend

Some rumblings in the RSL division this week, i realize its only talk but some have mentioned that Winchester may lose 8 points due to playing too many imported players...

longballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by longballer View Post

Some rumblings in the RSL division this week, i realize its only talk but some have mentioned that Winchester may lose 8 points due to playing too many imported players...
I guess they took a few too many guys from Nepean....i think the rule is 2 imports at Jr B.

Ottawa Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Hockeyfan6713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
I guess they took a few too many guys from Nepean....i think the rule is 2 imports at Jr B.
Wow wait what? Where did you guys hear about Winchester possibly losing 8 points? When would that happen? Thats huge in any division

Old
01-04-2013, 01:49 AM
longballer

Quote:
Wow wait what? Where did you guys hear about Winchester possibly losing 8 points? When would that happen? Thats huge in any division
its something i heard, not sure if its true or currently being looked at.. imports is also american and out of province players too i believe

Old
01-04-2013, 12:01 PM
hurricane11

Quote:
Brockville Tikis trade Cody Waite to Alexandria Glens for future considerations... another player on his way out in brockville is patrick rock, waite and rock were the tikis most skilled players to start the year but looks like the tikis are going with hard working players not defense liabilities who can score. With a week left before the trade deadline and the showcase coming up this weekend it should be interesting to see that last push for some teams.. overager players like morrisburgs sylvester bzdyl, chris rutley, curtis pilon and south grenvilles ben brayman should all be expected to have a new home within a week and will alexandria unload if they cant get a couple wins this weekend

From what i heard in Brockville is that Waite was being outplayed by the younger players and that there was no need for him. I can't see them moving Rock tho he's had good success with Benton who's been out for awhile. The team has moved Brayman, Waite, TJ Burns and went with more two way players that compete and it has paid off. Not sure if they have the firepower to hang in the playoffs but they will be a tough matchup.

I can't see Westport doing too much except add depth. With Ming back they will have enough firepower as anybody.

Athens and Gan need some help on the backend. I heard Brayman will go to Athens. Should be a good finish to the season to see who gets First.

In the STL cant see anyone beating Casselman.

hurricane11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:41 PM
EpicNeilTime

I heard Westport is going to make a really big trade soon.

Last edited by EpicNeilTime: 01-04-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old
01-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane11 View Post
From what i heard in Brockville is that Waite was being outplayed by the younger players and that there was no need for him. I can't see them moving Rock tho he's had good success with Benton who's been out for awhile. The team has moved Brayman, Waite, TJ Burns and went with more two way players that compete and it has paid off. Not sure if they have the firepower to hang in the playoffs but they will be a tough matchup.

I can't see Westport doing too much except add depth. With Ming back they will have enough firepower as anybody.

Athens and Gan need some help on the backend. I heard Brayman will go to Athens. Should be a good finish to the season to see who gets First.

In the STL cant see anyone beating Casselman.
I think it will be Casselman vs Athens/Westport in the final.

Westport seems more balanced overall while Athens has great firepower and a weak back end, all though they have started adding guys it seems. I think Gan may surprise but I think the other two are just too strong.

Rangersfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:40 PM
hurricane11

Gan coming out of the division would be no suprise. They have Cota the best player in the division, Kyle is the best D and Great goaltending. i think coming in first in the regular season and avoiding the 2 vs 3 matchup is key.

Who would Westport be going after in a trade. They seem set upfront must be a D or a goalie.

hurricane11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:01 PM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane11 View Post
Gan coming out of the division would be no suprise. They have Cota the best player in the division, Kyle is the best D and Great goaltending. i think coming in first in the regular season and avoiding the 2 vs 3 matchup is key.

Who would Westport be going after in a trade. They seem set upfront must be a D or a goalie.
nvm...

Last edited by EpicNeilTime: 01-06-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old
01-04-2013, 05:27 PM
longballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicNeilTime View Post
I obviously can't say who, but they're going to add two solid additions from what I hear.
these additions are coming from other divisional teams/league or jr.a players being released?

Old
01-04-2013, 05:32 PM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:
these additions are coming from other divisional teams/league or jr.a players being released?
I'll PM you.

Last edited by EpicNeilTime: 01-04-2013 at 05:41 PM.