HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Cherry: CHL should stop letting Americans and Europeans to play in CHL (merged)

Old
01-04-2013, 05:35 PM
RooneyConnSmythe12
Temporary avatar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
I've never heard of him being a racist, but he used to HATE Russians. Back when Fedorov and Bure were dominating the league, Cherry used to blast their work ethic, their toughness, etc.... It was his fav go-to on Coaches Corner.
It still is. You should have heard him talking about Kovalchuk during the finals when he'd been playing with a herniated disk for 3 weeks. That said, I enjoy Don Cherry's rants and occasionally he even says something that he's right about.

RooneyConnSmythe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:35 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToursLepantoVienna View Post
He's a jingoist, not a racist.
Let's go with bigot.

pavelich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Huffman

We have seen more and more foreign players in J20 Superelit here in Sweden. Pretty much all of the best players from Sweden, Norway and Denmark starts off there. Lately we have seen some of the best juniors from Switzerland, Latvia, Czech Republic and Slovakia play there. This is great for the league and for the development of the Swedish players and imports, I would love to see another Kopitar in our leagues.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Don just needs to spout off since he isn't getting on air. Imagine when he retires.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:40 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Sweden has the grand total of 2 players playing for Canadian junior teams. That's not even as many as the number of Canadian players on US teams.
Yeah but the 3rd string goalie and the 12th/13th forward play a huge part in our success

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:44 PM
tfong

What happens if he finds out his hockey sticks are made in China?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:45 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
We have seen more and more foreign players in J20 Superelit here in Sweden. Pretty much all of the best players from Sweden, Norway and Denmark starts off there. Lately we have seen some of the best juniors from Switzerland, Latvia, Czech Republic and Slovakia play there. This is great for the league and for the development of the Swedish players and imports, I would love to see another Kopitar in our leagues.
Amen to that!

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:48 PM
kdb527

I guess DC doesn't realize that the great CHL is an international league that has teams based in the US. So by his deductive reasoning, those teams should not be able to sign local US kids because they are not Canadian. Check the medication Don.

kdb527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I don't think he's racist - more jingoistic and xenophobic.
Yeah, he suffers from a textbook case of xenophobia. I'd feel sorry for the guy if it wasn't so much fun watching him fume and if the game wasn't improving by leaps and bounds over how it was played when Grapes was coaching.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:53 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
What happens if he finds out his hockey sticks are made in China?
Now with real lead in the paint!!!

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
He is somewhat right, but if I were a Team Canada fan I wouldn't really mind, I'd rather there be competition

Lars The GOAT Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:56 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Yeah, he suffers from a textbook case of xenophobia. I'd feel sorry for the guy if it wasn't so much fun watching him fume and if the game wasn't improving by leaps and bounds over how it was played when Grapes was coaching.
I've seen many people use the word xenophobic, apparently unaware of what phobia means. He's just slightly senile flag waving jingoist.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:58 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I've seen many people use the word xenophobic, apparently unaware of what phobia means. He's just slightly senile flag waving jingoist.
Thank you, that drives me nuts.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:01 PM
TMLOBI

I said something similar to Cherry and people bashed me. The fact is the CHL is the best junior development League(s) in the world. Sure non Canadians play in their native countries until they're 16 but then get scouted and drafted to one of the three leagues. This only helps their development as they play with and against better players, get coached and coached against by better coaches and have better trainers. There is a reason most kids entering the NHL come from the CHL. The competition level is so immense that only the best can survive and thrive. I am all for non Canadians playing in the CHL as it makes for a better overall product to the game of hockey. But you can't deny that a lot of non Canadians are better players as a result of playing in a better league.

It is just like Canadians who go and play NCAA basketball (maybe football too?). Like future NBA 1st overall pick Andrew Wiggins. He was born in Toronto and is simply too good to be playing in Canada. He went to high school in the states to play against better competition and he is the most recruited player for the NCAA schools. He is going to be a better player by playing in the states. He will play with and against better players, be coached and coached against by better coaches and be trained by better trainers.

Long story short may the best person win. Think of it from the other side of the fence.. "they stole all of our good people". Canada is a great country because we take the best of other countries and put them into our culture. It would suck if the best Canadians went elsewhere with their talents (some already do in other fields). But with hockey the best stay here!

Good luck America, may this be your last gold medal

GO CANADA GO

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Tom Servo
Space Truckin'

vCash: 280
Damn right! It's the Canadian Hockey League, a league for good ol' Canadian boys playing in good ol' Canadian hockey towns like Erie, Plymouth, Saginaw, Seattle, Spokane, Kennewick, Everett and Portland.

Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:20 PM
PanthersPens62
#KidK

Grapes had been pretty PC lately, but I had a feeling that if Canada lost he'd have a minor meltdown & he did not disappoint! And as usual, his rant was spot on.

PanthersPens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Xokkeu

I'd love it if Canadians took Cherry seriously and booted out all the feriners. All the Americans would go back to the NCAA and the USHL would start getting the best foreign talent.

Pretty please

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:46 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
I said something similar to Cherry and people bashed me. The fact is the CHL is the best junior development League(s) in the world. Sure non Canadians play in their native countries until they're 16 but then get scouted and drafted to one of the three leagues. This only helps their development as they play with and against better players, get coached and coached against by better coaches and have better trainers.
There is really no evidence that it helps European players' development or that the coaches are any better.

Quote:
There is a reason most kids entering the NHL come from the CHL.
Yes and the reason is simply that there are more juniors playing the game in Canada than in any other country.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
He does have a point. The CHL is the best major junior league in the world, no debate. The best players come over here and use the best facilities to better themselves and you can't blame them.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:49 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
I said something similar to Cherry and people bashed me. The fact is the CHL is the best junior development League(s) in the world. Sure non Canadians play in their native countries until they're 16 but then get scouted and drafted to one of the three leagues. This only helps their development as they play with and against better players, get coached and coached against by better coaches and have better trainers. There is a reason most kids entering the NHL come from the CHL. The competition level is so immense that only the best can survive and thrive. I am all for non Canadians playing in the CHL as it makes for a better overall product to the game of hockey. But you can't deny that a lot of non Canadians are better players as a result of playing in a better league.

It is just like Canadians who go and play NCAA basketball (maybe football too?). Like future NBA 1st overall pick Andrew Wiggins. He was born in Toronto and is simply too good to be playing in Canada. He went to high school in the states to play against better competition and he is the most recruited player for the NCAA schools. He is going to be a better player by playing in the states. He will play with and against better players, be coached and coached against by better coaches and be trained by better trainers.

Long story short may the best person win. Think of it from the other side of the fence.. "they stole all of our good people". Canada is a great country because we take the best of other countries and put them into our culture. It would suck if the best Canadians went elsewhere with their talents (some already do in other fields). But with hockey the best stay here!

Good luck America, may this be your last gold medal

GO CANADA GO

Most the American kids don't come until they are 18. I am not saying all do but the biggest portion of them do, leaving the NTDP to go the CHL route after they have finished their time there. That is a part of the problem I have with this logic. It is a finishing school. Large stretches of their development has taken place.

Also as stated by several, Cherry and the people that push this agenda would never call Toews, St. Louis, Crosby, Kariya and other famous Canadian stars that spent development time in America a product of our hockey development.

By the way if the CHL is just Canadian because of a 58-12 ratio, than what is pro hockey with NHL/AHL having a 49-11 ratio? Guessing you don't want to call that American?

In any event, if the CHL hates this so much I suggest they stop recruiting and paying kids out. Gibson was committed to Michigan, continuously said he was going then magically as many people always point out about Kitchener his mind changed over night. Make of that what you will....

It is just a way for some of the disappointed Canadian people as usual to have their finger prints over everything hockey. That is what this statement looks like and that is why I cannot accept this logic when you said it yesterday as well.

To the basketball analogy (I hate the sport and have stopped following it closely so disclaimer there) it would be like us ignoring that Canada seems to have a lot more talent around these days. Chances are they have improved the AAU teams and done a ton to have better players coming through. They deserve the credit for closing the gap and having better development when the kids are younger.

After all if American hockey was as bad as some people like Cherry really believe deep down, these kids couldn't even win jobs because of how far behind they would be all the kids from Alberta and Ontario.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Sentinel

I say: eliminate all Canadians from US-based NHL clubs! They are taking the spots away from American kids and money from American ticket buyers!

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Hanji

Cherry isn't senile or stupid, he's a talented entertainer who knows what buttons to push. He's very good at what he does.

Unfortunately, he's had to become a parody of his former self to stay relevant.

I.m.o., it's not Cherry himself I mind, but rather the people who take his word as gospel who are =

Hanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:37 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanji View Post
Cherry isn't senile or stupid, he's a talented entertainer who knows what buttons to push. He's very good at what he does.

Unfortunately, he's had to become a parody of his former self to stay relevant.

I.m.o., it's not Cherry himself I mind, but rather the people who take his word as gospel who are =
Really he used to have the occasional point I would agree to, now I cannot even really do that anymore. It is like if you agree with something he is saying, you start to assume than you must be wrong.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:42 PM
jcbio11

Love it. Love to see him suffer and be such a sore loser. I feed off his anger

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Cherry is right on this stance for sure. We should teach our own first and foremost. We just lost this recent tournament for a variety of reasons and being heartless is where I would begin.
So how is it that CHL coaches managed to give non-Canadians all the heart and native Canadians none?

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote