HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Six in O6

vCash: 500
I called some Cortez action awhile back. I still think Burris might be on our QB radar, especially with that kind of news.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Kyle McMahon

I'd love to see Cortez here, but if he comes with Henry Burris I might have to pass. I want nothing to do with Burris as the QB of this team.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I'd love to see Cortez here, but if he comes with Henry Burris I might have to pass. I want nothing to do with Burris as the QB of this team.
Better stop gap than the unproven Nichols.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:39 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
True. Hamilton's problems had little to do with their offense.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:08 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Nichols isn't the problem. Kavis and his washed up QB is.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1255
Quote:
really? Burris is a much better player than the combined skills of the three QB's Edmonton went with last year. give me burris before another year with joseph on the team.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:27 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Nichols isn't the problem. Kavis and his washed up QB is.
Nichols may be the answer, but that is pretty much up in the air.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Philly85
Moody'

They should go after Vince Young, Tim Tebow and the likes, lol

Old
01-04-2013, 09:17 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Off topic but.... what the hell?

Odd, you think they'd go with someone that is relevant in Edmonton.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:19 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Better than going with what we have. At least if Nichols turns out not to be the real deal you have a pretty decent 2nd option.

Isn't exactly a ton a proven CFL qb's out there.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Odd, you think they'd go with someone that is relevant in Edmonton.
A buddy of mine told me that Ray was a season ticket holder for the Rush when he lived here.... or something.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:42 PM
abootzky

Henry Burris would be just another aging band-aid at QB- more productive than Kerry Joseph to be sure but more of a 'me-first' guy as well. If the Esks want to go with a veteran mentor type, Kevin Glenn would be a better fit especially seeing that he has shown a willingness to accept that role during his career.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Henry Burris would be just another aging band-aid at QB- more productive than Kerry Joseph to be sure but more of a 'me-first' guy as well. If the Esks want to go with a veteran mentor type, Kevin Glenn would be a better fit especially seeing that he has shown a willingness to accept that role during his career.
Nope. Glenn has a bad attitude and is a bad quarterback. He can't win big games. The Eskimos need a quarterback that can steal games. Burris can do that.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:11 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Nope. Glenn has a bad attitude and is a bad quarterback. He can't win big games. The Eskimos need a quarterback that can steal games. Burris can do that.
To most real Eskimo fans, the sight of Henry Burris in green & gold would have us reaching for icepicks to jab out our eyes. Seriously though, if what you're saying is true, why did Calgary let Burris go in order to bring in someone with a bad attitude to mentor/back up Drew Tate? Burris is a smiling, erratic, interception throwing, finger pointing, phony goof. I'd take Kevin Glenn (who is well-known for having an excellent attitude btw) over him in a second.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Didn't Burris have a career high in td's this season or something? We could have used him in our lineup

Old
01-04-2013, 06:41 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Didn't Burris have a career high in td's this season or something? We could have used him in our lineup
That was last season. In 2013 the Eskimos need to find and then develop their next franchise QB. While an improvement statistically over who they had in 2012, Burris is not a good fit here going forward with that agenda.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Steal them for the other team?

Burris holds the all-time record for boneheaded interceptions that cost his team the game.

Great stats, great arm...poor results. There's a reason Burris has reached a grand total of one Grey Cup game in his entire career. Funny that Saskatchewan started playing in Grey Cups shortly after he left, while Calgary also returned to the big game a year after cutting him loose.

I mean, sure he'd be better than Kerry Joseph. Pretty much anyone would be. But we need to develop a QB to guide us into the future, not waste time on a band-aid solution that is unlikely to yield positive results.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:53 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Didnt Burris set records last year? In what world is Kevin Glenn a better QB than Burris? Is Glenn available?

Old
01-04-2013, 09:41 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Didn't Burris set records last year?
Probably but how did his team do?

Quote:
In what world is Kevin Glenn a better QB than Burris?
One where an experienced vet is willing to play behind and work with a younger QB. The smilin' one is not the guy for that role. At least KG has accepted it previously.

Quote:
Is Glenn available?
I think so.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Kyle McMahon

I would not be happy with either Burris or Glenn as starting QB next year, but you're right that Glenn would be much more willing to work alongside Nicholls or whoever. Hank would be a malcontent if he wasn't the undisputed starter. Glenn would be a capable vet who could step in if a young guy struggled, basically what he was last year.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1255
Quote:
To most real Eskimo fans, the sight of Henry Burris in green & gold would have us reaching for icepicks to jab out our eyes. Seriously though, if what you're saying is true, why did Calgary let Burris go in order to bring in someone with a bad attitude to mentor/back up Drew Tate? Burris is a smiling, erratic, interception throwing, finger pointing, phony goof. I'd take Kevin Glenn (who is well-known for having an excellent attitude btw) over him in a second.
ah. bringing in the "real fan" argument.
I purchase esks gear, follow the whole league, have only missed a couple of home games in the last 15 years and have been to several grey cups.

I think I'm a "real" fan.

I don't say I really want him here, but I would take burris 100 times out of 100 over the crap we had last year. and I know I'm not alone amonst "real" fans. so maybe it's only your opinion.
just throwing something out there. maybe burris left because he felt he was still a #1 guy, and the stamps wanted him as a backup? Can't blame a guy who thinks he can still be a #1 not wanting to be demoted. and considering he went to Hamilton, played as the #1 guy and had a good year, perhaps Burris was correct.

pretty sad state of eskimo affairs when the debate in 2013 is who would you rather have as a QB, Glenn or burris.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:28 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
ah. bringing in the "real fan" argument.
I purchase esks gear, follow the whole league, have only missed a couple of home games in the last 15 years and have been to several grey cups.

I think I'm a "real" fan.

I don't say I really want him here, but I would take burris 100 times out of 100 over the crap we had last year. and I know I'm not alone amonst "real" fans. so maybe it's only your opinion.
just throwing something out there. maybe burris left because he felt he was still a #1 guy, and the stamps wanted him as a backup? Can't blame a guy who thinks he can still be a #1 not wanting to be demoted. and considering he went to Hamilton, played as the #1 guy and had a good year, perhaps Burris was correct.

pretty sad state of eskimo affairs when the debate in 2013 is who would you rather have as a QB, Glenn or burris.
The 'real fan' line wasn't intended to be an argument- something you might have picked up if you had read the first 2 words of the next sentence. Kinda like I do with Dan Tencer, I will take any opportunity I can to express my disdain for Henry Burris.

Whether I like him or not, Burris would have been a far better option than Jyles/Joseph turned out to be for the Eskimos last season. For the upcoming season however, I would prefer that they go with the young starter/veteran back-up combination. Unless he undergoes a personality transplant, Burris does not fit into that equation.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Six in O6

Quote:
I've had season tickets for ten years and seen four Grey Cups live. I guess I'm not a real fan. I didn't hear of anyone taking an icepick to the eye seeing Ray in an Argos jersey. This is pro sports, it's just a game. Burris is a gamer and he can still play. He has both his legs and a great arm which is what Edmonton fans were calling for when Ray was getting lit up like a sitting duck for staying in the pocket due to our offensive line. I think Calgary made a mistake going with Tate, and it is clear that he did not bring them to the Grey Cup last year. So I'm glad you watched some Grey Cup coverage this year and bought the sob story about Kevin Glenn being a great guy, I'm sure he is, but everyone danced around the fact that he is a perennial loser and nobody asked the hard questions after the game about his performance.

Quote:
Steal them for the other team?

Burris holds the all-time record for boneheaded interceptions that cost his team the game.

Great stats, great arm...poor results. There's a reason Burris has reached a grand total of one Grey Cup game in his entire career. Funny that Saskatchewan started playing in Grey Cups shortly after he left, while Calgary also returned to the big game a year after cutting him loose.

I mean, sure he'd be better than Kerry Joseph. Pretty much anyone would be. But we need to develop a QB to guide us into the future, not waste time on a band-aid solution that is unlikely to yield positive results.
I didn't know anyone kept a stat for lame duck interceptions. I thought that was Ray's hallmark? A few quarterback critics in this forum are starting to sound a lot like Skip Bayless. Since 2004 Burris narrowly missed Grey Cup berths in 2004 and 2005 to very good teams once with Sask and once with CGY. Additionally, the Riders don't win until 2007 with a very different team. Somehow your math just does not add up.

I think Burris is the best option in the CFL right now for a proven quarterback. If we could nab McPherson or Rielly that would be a great consolation prize. Burris set records for touchdowns this year and can make plays with his legs thus giving our offense a true triple threat offense, something Esks fans have not had the luxury of in quite some time.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
I didn't know anyone kept a stat for lame duck interceptions. I thought that was Ray's hallmark? A few quarterback critics in this forum are starting to sound a lot like Skip Bayless. Since 2004 Burris narrowly missed Grey Cup berths in 2004 and 2005 to very good teams once with Sask and once with CGY. Additionally, the Riders don't win until 2007 with a very different team. Somehow your math just does not add up.

I think Burris is the best option in the CFL right now for a proven quarterback. If we could nab McPherson or Rielly that would be a great consolation prize. Burris set records for touchdowns this year and can make plays with his legs thus giving our offense a true triple threat offense, something Esks fans have not had the luxury of in quite some time.
What doesn't add up is that Burris, despite being considered a possible HOF candidate by many people, has guided a team to the Grey Cup game just once in his entire career. The guy simply doesn't get it done when it matters.

We can talk about Burris setting records last season all we want, but you know what I remember most? The boneheaded pick-6's he threw on Labour Day and in the last game of the season against Toronto that ultimately cost Hamilton a playoff spot. This has been Burris' MO for years. He'll throw for 350 yards and look great doing it, then at the worst possible moment give up that back-breaking INT and suddenly you've lost.

I'd rather take my chances with an unproven youngster who might surprise you and win than the wiley old veteran who has already proven repeatedly that he's going to leave you disappointed.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:39 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
That was last season. In 2013 the Eskimos need to find and then develop their next franchise QB. While an improvement statistically over who they had in 2012, Burris is not a good fit here going forward with that agenda.
And when that plan fails, what do you do? Watch struggling rookie Qb's ruin their careers?

Closed Thread