HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

2013 Line Combos

Old
01-04-2013, 03:36 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Wow..Lundin would get injured within a few minutes of my previous post haha. Maybe I should post about Kessel or something.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

vCash: 500
So I guess if the season starts Lundin gets suspended for showing up injured and the Sens use the money to pay someone else.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:45 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
And he misses the net

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:53 PM
ATdaisuki
invisible

except lee was starting to bring some physicality to his game. brian lee is eleet. he was so close to leetch it's not even funny. i've been a murray supporter, but after that trade...

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:03 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
such as.....
Currently available defencemen better than Lee? Let's see...

- Chris Campoli
- Brett Clark
- Mark Eaton
- Kurtis Foster
- Kent Huskins
- and... y'know what? Jeff Finger. Finger is basically just an older version of Lee who was getting paid too much. Finger on an $800k contract pretty much = Lee. And Finger is available.

... and that list doesn't even take into account possible buyout candidates who are ALSO better than Lee.

That list should be pretty telling as to what I thought of Brian frigging Lee. Anyone who misses that guy should also be upset we got rid of Ricard Persson...

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:13 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

We could probably talk Spacek out of retirement for a half-season.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
in regards to the sumo video posted in the closed thread, anyone else notice the sumo had the pads on the wrong legs?

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

I'd sign campoli again easy. Much better than Lee imo.

Any interesting NCAA players or CHL overagers that we could grab immediately if the lockout ends to replace our own callups?

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:53 PM
sg58

DeKeyser.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
I'd sign campoli again easy. Much better than Lee imo.

Any interesting NCAA players or CHL overagers that we could grab immediately if the lockout ends to replace our own callups?
I disagree with the Campoli signing because I personally dislike him and hope he goes away.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
DeKeyser.
Is he anywhere near NHL ready (even as 7th dman)? If he is, let's pull a butler and offer him a few NHL games and get him out here.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Ed Wood

Quote:
I disagree with the Campoli signing because I personally dislike him and hope he goes away.
I also have a personal dislike for Chris Campoli and still see his original acquisition as one of the worst moves in Sens history. Having said that I think he may be close to being the best unsigned dman out there. I'd sign him.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:34 AM
DonthaveaCOWEN

I would rather Frank Lessard play as our 6th D then give Campoli a contract. I hope he's blacklisted by the owners and rots in the AHL for his career

DonthaveaCOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:40 AM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Trade for Thomas Hickey?

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:04 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I agree, Carey Price is a good comparable.

Carey Price was also pretty unimpressive in 2008-09 and '09-10... and it's doubly unimpressive that Halak was getting a larger share of the quality starts in their split workload.

"Sens-era" Craig Anderson >> 2008-2010 Carey Price. Montreal didn't have the luxury of having a goalie as reliable as Anderson has been with us back then. If the Habs had an obvious #1 goalie, I doubt Price would have seen the workload he did, but that's admittedly speculation on my part, and we won't really ever know one way or the other.

I have no doubt that Lehner can be a very good goalie in this league, and I do like the Price comparable, but I don't want to have to go through two developmental years with Lehner as our #1 goalie. And if he's not the #1 in Ottawa (or at the very least splitting games 50/50, which I don't think is good asset management with Anderson, as he's the kind of goalie who needs to start a lot of games to be effective, IMO), he needs to be starting games. Hence: the AHL.

Again: this is a fundamental difference in how you and I see the proper development of goalie prospects.
As mentioned, Crystal Ball Huet. He always had a better Save percentage in Montreal than Anderson's .914 in Ottawa last year.

And they traded that guy to play Price.

But I'm not even suggesting they trade Anderson right now.

And again, I don't completely disagree that Lehner should be playing games... that's cool.

Say there was no lockout, and Lehner looked like the best goalie in camp (for like the 3rd year in a row): start Lehner in the NHL (as the starter). If not, start him in the AHL (as the starter obviously).

Sign a veteran goalie to a 2-way contract... a guy like Curtis Sanford. If Anderson is clearly ahead of Lehner, Sanford can backup. If Lehner is dominant (like he is doing this year in the AHL), play Lehner in the NHL and Sanford in Bingo.

So that's what I'm disappointed in. Bishop got a 1-way deal; no matter how Lehner played, no matter how dominant he was, he was playing in the AHL this year. That sucks, and is unfair to him and the fans who want to see him play (me).

Also, I'm pissed about the 2nd rounder. Give up a 5th rounder in 2012 instead at the deadline, for say, Curtis Sanford. No need for Bishop.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:11 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Lehner has to make the jump at some point.

It's like you don't want to have an unproven starter in case he messes up, but you don't want that guy sitting as the backup because he needs to play games. Well in that case we're in a bit of a pickle.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:17 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
31 is NOT middle aged! Damn punk kids.

Also, Lehner had major attitude problems a couple years ago and is maturing now. Price has always been cool and calm under pressure.

Montreal used their history with Patrick Roy to try and repeat with Price. If Price crapped out, it would have ruined his development.

And remember what Murray said when Anderson cut himself, if something happened to Lehner they had no one else to turn to. We were in the playoff race. Anderson was gone for a month. A team just had to run Lehner and Ottawa would have been screwed. Auld was garbage. It was insurance and a good deal.

As others have mentioned, Bishop would command an equal return for what we gave up if not more. Problem being, no hockey.
31 is ancient

sorry Bonk hyperbole

Bishop would be backing up and would not return equal value unless there were 5 desperate teams with injured goalies or something. Not happening.

Also as mentioned, they should have acquired a guy like Sanford for much cheaper instead.

Quote:
Why would Bishop command more? Everyone doesn't love Sens players and prospects as much as this board does. In an albeit small bidding war in a situation of relative panic, the Sens gave up a 2nd rounder. Why would anyone do that now, as he's older, closer to UFA and while decent in the NHL, didn't really dramatically open eyes?

Also, where is that Murray quote from? Not a very nice thing to say about Alex Auld, a player you've invested a couple of million dollars in.
this

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but Bishop would have been a UFA last year if he did not play in a certain number of NHL games.
Pretty sure the Sens negotiated a contract with him before the trade.. so no.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:28 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Yeah, it would be a shame if we stole talent from the AHL.

I know we have an affiliate in the AHL for something but I just can't put my finger on it.
lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Currently available defencemen better than Lee? Let's see...

- Chris Campoli
- Brett Clark
- Mark Eaton
- Kurtis Foster
- Kent Huskins
- and... y'know what? Jeff Finger. Finger is basically just an older version of Lee who was getting paid too much. Finger on an $800k contract pretty much = Lee. And Finger is available.

... and that list doesn't even take into account possible buyout candidates who are ALSO better than Lee.

That list should be pretty telling as to what I thought of Brian frigging Lee. Anyone who misses that guy should also be upset we got rid of Ricard Persson...
All those guys are worse offensively than Lee perhaps with the exception of Foster (who never plays). Lee outscored all of them despite playing only 55 games.

And Lee is a good deal better defensively than all of them.

Brett Clark... Mark Eaton... seriously?

Your biased hate for Lee is obvious and getting old.

Murray lost that trade and Lee could be useful right now. That's clear.

André Benoît is the best option out there imo. I think he's the best defenseman in North America that isn't/wouldn't be in the NHL if the season was happening. Better than those guys, better than Redden.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:14 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Your biased hate for Lee is obvious
Well, it's not like I'm trying to be subtle, that's for sure.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:35 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
All those guys are worse offensively than Lee perhaps with the exception of Foster (who never plays).
Disagree. I'll take Campoli, Foster and Clark over Lee offensively every day of the week, twice on sundays, and alternating holidays. Foster is, admittedly, a live hand grenade in his own zone, however. He's never been the same player since that horrific boarding injury. Clark had a real bad year after quite a good one: its a gamble as to which Clark you're getting. I'd have a hard time cheering for Campoli after some of the stuff he's said over the course of this lockout, but he's twice the player Lee is, and that's saying something. Easily the best remaining UFA.

Quote:
Lee outscored all of them despite playing only 55 games.
a) completely ignores the trend of Lee's career
b) him catching lightning in a bottle over a 20 game period does not "make him better".

Quote:
Lee is a good deal better defensively than all of them.
Disagree. Defensively, I'd take Huskins and Eaton over Lee in a New York minute. I don't even have to think about it. And Eaton sucks.

Quote:
Brett Clark... Mark Eaton... seriously?
Seriously.

Quote:
Your biased hate for Lee is obvious and getting old.
The only thing getting old is the endless pity parade for Brian Lee on these boards.

Quote:
Murray lost that trade
Sure, but that's like saying trading a doorstop for a turd is losing a trade. You only lost the deal because you got something in return that was a negative asset. At the end of the day, you're only out a doorstop.

Quote:
and Lee could be useful right now. That's clear.
Debatable, and even then, only in the light of Cowen and Lundin's injuries. If Cowen and Lundin are healthy, Lee is our 8th defenceman. 9th, even? Weircioch is a better defenceman right now than Lee is. As is Benoit. And probably Boro, if he can learn to settle down a bit.

So we're out our... wait... let me count: Karlsson, Gonchar, Methot, Phillips, Cowen (hurt), Lundin (hurt), Weircioch, Benoit... I'll leave Boro out, because I don't think he's quite ready. By my calculations, Lee would have been our 9th defenceman this year. NINTH. We're having a debate over a guy who would have been our 9th defenceman this year? People are upset over that? It -literally- boggles my mind.

Quote:
André Benoît is the best option out there imo. I think he's the best defenseman in North America that isn't/wouldn't be in the NHL if the season was happening. Better than those guys, better than Redden.
100% agree. I've been on record as being a huge fan of giving Benoit a serious look in the NHL, not just an end-of-the-season "we need you to fill in because we traded everyone" cup of coffee. I'd love to see him get 40 honest games and give him a legitimate shot.

I think my only issue at the moment is that we lost two defensive guys (Cowen and Lundin), and we're possibly going to replace them with two offensive ones (Weir & Benoit). It's what makes me think we take a serious look at bringing in a defenceman from somewhere else via trade.

Last edited by BonkTastic: 01-05-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old
01-05-2013, 08:57 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Wasn't Kurtis Foster a big fish in one of the FA crops a few years back?

What happened to him? Maybe BM should take a run at him.

Also wouldn't mind Campoli back. He's got so much ability, he just needs to get smarter, if that's possible.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensAreReligion View Post
Trade for Thomas Hickey?
I actually love this idea. Petersson + 3rd or 4th could probably get it done. Hickey can't have too much value right now. Who are some other guys who are close to NHL but have some barriers due to depth? Wishart, Gragnani... I'd also like to gauge the value of Blum. I'm sure there are some other guys too. Anyways, lets stop talking about Lee now!

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post

What happened to him? Maybe BM should take a run at him.

Also wouldn't mind Campoli back. He's got so much ability, he just needs to get smarter, if that's possible.

No to Kurtis Foster. He had 15 points over 4 teams in 2 different leagues last year. He's only had one year over 28 pts and he's not good defensively. Pretty sure he was dealt for Andy Sutton.

As I've said before, Campoli would probably be the best available in my opinion. And you're very right great ability.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:05 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post

What happened to him?
Torrey Mitchell happened to him:

He's never been the player he once was since that hit.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:19 AM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Also Foster was born in Carp so he has a local connection.

18Hossa is online now   Reply With Quote