HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Mark Scheifele - Barrie Colts, OHL

Old
01-04-2013, 04:20 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

vCash: 500
Less talented and less aggressive James Neal.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Well they didn't have a scouting staff because they didn't actually exist until right before the draft started. I think they took Scheifele's coaches word (Dale Hawerchuk, who was a great Jet) and selected him.
Err, no. The Jets inherited Atlanta's scouting staff, and kept them. Scheifele was known by Colts observers to be of high interest to Atlanta prior to the purchase and move to Winnipeg, and Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has said the scouts were all very emphatic that Scheifele was their pick.

Also worth noting that Cheveldayoff actually interviewed Scheifele on behalf of the Blackhawks before being hired as Winnipeg GM, so he was independently familiar with Scheifele as well.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:05 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
Err, no. The Jets inherited Atlanta's scouting staff, and kept them. Scheifele was known by Colts observers to be of high interest to Atlanta prior to the purchase and move to Winnipeg, and Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has said the scouts were all very emphatic that Scheifele was their pick.

Also worth noting that Cheveldayoff actually interviewed Scheifele on behalf of the Blackhawks before being hired as Winnipeg GM, so he was independently familiar with Scheifele as well.
The more I see of the kid, the more I love him.

Also, side note: Your avatar is where I got my idea for my avatar theme for the WJC

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

3G 3A 6PTS +3 last night against Ottawa 67's. Apparently was on fire every shift against them.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...771/story.html

Quote:
Scheifele, who plays every shift like he hasnít forgiven the 67ís for beating the Colts out in last yearís Ontario Hockey League playoffs, may as well have been all three stars after scoring three times and setting up three more goals to destroy the 67ís 10-1 before a crowd of just 2,021 at Scotiabank Place, a new season-low in the stands, too.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:06 PM
JetsHomer

12 points in 4 games since being sent back.

Second best PPG in the OHL. Admittedly Strome is quite close, and playing on a worse team.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 02:50 AM
Reel2Reel

Do you guys think Mark will be playing in the NHL this upcoming season?

Reel2Reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 03:16 AM
OEL for Norris
"Derpman-Larsson"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel2Reel View Post
Yes I believe so...he will battle for the 2nd C spot and win it cuz he's now NHL ready

OEL for Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 03:25 AM
12Gage09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel2Reel View Post
This past season with the Barrie Colts, Schiefele had 79 points in 45 regular season games and 41 points in 21 playoff games and he had a pretty good world juniors. If he played closer to a full season, he surely would have led the OHL in points. He is a dominant junior player and I think he should have gotten more of a chance to play for the Jets the last 2 years but he should definitely make the team this year. He and Jacob Trouba will be big parts of the Jets moving forward and they need these 2 guys this year.

12Gage09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 04:25 AM
VerySuperFamous

His 19/20 year old season was pretty good, but his others were around average based on expectations for players drafted 7th overall, anyone got a scouting report? I only saw him a couple times in the WJC in 2012 and he didn't really stand out to me. Also why didn't he make the 2013 team, injuries or lockout?

VerySuperFamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 09:45 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerySuperFamous View Post
His 19/20 year old season was pretty good, but his others were around average based on expectations for players drafted 7th overall, anyone got a scouting report? I only saw him a couple times in the WJC in 2012 and he didn't really stand out to me. Also why didn't he make the 2013 team, injuries or lockout?
here's a statistical comparison:
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2013/...ts-comparisons

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 10:50 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbiasHockeyFan1 View Post
Yes I believe so...he will battle for the 2nd C spot and win it cuz he's now NHL ready
Going into camp it looks like he will be given every opportunity to compete for the #2 C, with Kane and Setoguchi as his wingers. Personally I think he is ready after his dominant play in the OHL playoffs and then spending the summer building strength under the watchful eye of Gary Roberts.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:04 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
At the Junior level he's the complete offensive package. Tape to tape passes with excellent vision. One of the best shots in the OHL. He's a highly skilled 6'3 center who is admittedly a little soft. Biggest weakness for him is his skating. He's not slow and he doesn't lack agility,but nothing of his skating shouts 'great' also seems to have balence problems and has trouble staying on his skates when in physical battles. Hopefully as he gains mass these problems go away. I see him as a #2 center in the NHL next season with potential for more. I have no doubts that he has the offensive tools to be a top linext NHL center, only question will be if some if the other aspects of his game may hold him back.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:19 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
At the Junior level he's the complete offensive package. Tape to tape passes with excellent vision. One of the best shots in the OHL. He's a highly skilled 6'3 center who is admittedly a little soft. Biggest weakness for him is his skating. He's not slow and he doesn't lack agility,but nothing of his skating shouts 'great' also seems to have balence problems and has trouble staying on his skates when in physical battles. Hopefully as he gains mass these problems go away. I see him as a #2 center in the NHL next season with potential for more. I have no doubts that he has the offensive tools to be a top linext NHL center, only question will be if some if the other aspects of his game may hold him back.
Well he wasn't getting pushed around and his skating was great at the prospect camp earlier this summer. Granted it was the prospect camp but I think he's made tremendous strides with Roberts with regards to his balance and strength this summer. I really look forward to seeing what he can bring this year.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:24 PM
TanksPavs
Pavs Actually Good?

Quote:
am I reading this right?! Mark Scheifele WAS on the 2013 WJC team if that's what your asking...

TanksPavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:27 PM
TanksPavs
Pavs Actually Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Did Scheifele not say somewhere that during this offseason he's really worked on legs and balance? If so, I really hope this helps because that is such a big problem for Mark.

TanksPavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:36 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhand Shelf View Post
am I reading this right?! Mark Scheifele WAS on the 2013 WJC team if that's what your asking...
Yup and he lead the team in goals as well while playing out of position on the wing.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Well he wasn't getting pushed around and his skating was great at the prospect camp earlier this summer. Granted it was the prospect camp but I think he's made tremendous strides with Roberts with regards to his balance and strength this summer. I really look forward to seeing what he can bring this year.
Spot on, Surixon. Scheifele looked absolutely dynamic at camp and one can clearly tell that he has done a ton of core and leg strength conditioning work just by watching him skate now. Have watched him play quite often over the past few years and the difference between how he appeared on the ice in July versus in the OHL playoffs alone is near startling. The sole knock against him has been a lack of physical strength but I'm not sure that applies anymore. Anyone that underrates this kid this coming season is likely in for a surprise.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 02:03 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhand Shelf View Post
He's talking about the Jets, not WJC. Several reasons Scheif didn't stick around last year:

1) We had shiny new toy UFA Jokinen in front of him
2) C depth Little - Jokinen - Antropov - Burmistrov - Slater
3) Scheifele was buried on the 4th line
4) Was still weak on his skates
5) Lack of training camp

Almost all of those issues are addressed this year. He should stick around.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote