HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

HF Boards' Healthy Body Transformation Thread - Part 5

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2013, 04:48 PM
  #151
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev
 
SixthSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,068
vCash: 605
Just ordered myself a new skillet from amazon:

http://www.amazon.ca/Lodge-L8SK3-4-I...7253316&sr=8-1

On a workout related note, I completed my first workout in about 2 weeks yesterday. I was destroyed at the end and a lot of aching muscles today. Never again will I go two weeks in between workouts.

SixthSens is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:59 PM
  #152
Hurt
Global Moderator
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I've only been to the gym twice since 12/23. Halp.
What seems to be the issue?

__________________
Shoot me a PM with your concerns. Also, come visit us in the Science Forum!
Hurt is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 05:02 PM
  #153
DatsyukNumberOne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
So I've decided I need to get in shape. I've never really worked out before or had the desire to but was laid off recently so off on EI and have a lot of spare time so figured now is a good time. I've read a little bit online but wanted to ask here too. What is a good workout for a beginner? What is a good amount to lift at first? For how long? Should I workout daily or every 2nd day? I'm buying protein shakes and heard its good to drink 30 minutes before and after the workout. Beside basic lifting what are some other good things to do to build muscle and just get in shape.

Thanks
1. Lift every day, take maybe 1 rest day per week
2. Buy some protein and creatine
3. Don't bother with cardio
4. Use free weights, the machines are for girls and old people
5. Eat as much protein as humanly possible
6. Drink a **** load of water
7. Get good rest every night
8. Don't wear a muscle shirt/tank top to the gym until you look like a Greek God
9. Wear some nice under armour clothes or other workout stuff, don't be showing up to the gym looking like a clown
10. If a bigger, stronger guy asks you how many sets you have left, politely say "I just finished up, you're all set" even if you still had 3 sets left.

DatsyukNumberOne* is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 05:02 PM
  #154
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
What seems to be the issue?
Sickness => alcohol => oversleeping. I was going to go today but I slept too long and am totally lightheaded. Don't even have energy for pushups, joints start hurting. Just feeling weak all around.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 06:00 PM
  #155
Hurt
Global Moderator
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Sickness => alcohol => oversleeping. I was going to go today but I slept too long and am totally lightheaded. Don't even have energy for pushups, joints start hurting. Just feeling weak all around.
Sickness = Meds or rest depending what type of sickness.
Alcohol = Stop drinking
Oversleeping = Go to sleep at a decent time, sleep 8 hours and wake up with an alarm.

Eat a healthy meal at that time (I like oatmeal or eggs in the morning to give me some energy) along with coffee and I'm ready for the day.

Hurt is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 07:07 PM
  #156
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukNumberOne View Post
1. Lift every day, take maybe 1 rest day per week
2. Buy some protein and creatine
3. Don't bother with cardio
4. Use free weights, the machines are for girls and old people
5. Eat as much protein as humanly possible
6. Drink a **** load of water
7. Get good rest every night
8. Don't wear a muscle shirt/tank top to the gym until you look like a Greek God
9. Wear some nice under armour clothes or other workout stuff, don't be showing up to the gym looking like a clown
10. If a bigger, stronger guy asks you how many sets you have left, politely say "I just finished up, you're all set" even if you still had 3 sets left.

Honestly, I'm not going to the gym for a bit until I get used to working out a bit. I have crossbar weights (think that's what they're called) with 100 pounds of weights. Obviously that's high to start out with, but how much is good for a beginner and how long before I add more? Push-ups are obviously good to do but what other things should I do?

mapes is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 07:23 PM
  #157
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.
 
PacManNJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,638
vCash: 500
I feel like my cigarette smoking kind of alienates me from posting in this thread even though I work out and eat better than I used to.

This New Year's Resolution to quit smoking is going to ****ing blow.

PacManNJD is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 07:28 PM
  #158
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'
 
TheRollingPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,790
vCash: 500
Not sure if this applies to anyone here, or even belongs in the thread, but my nyr is to better manage my blood sugars.

TheRollingPuck is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 07:58 PM
  #159
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
This is the coolest **** I've read all day. Thanks for posting.

KISSland is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:21 PM
  #160
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 24,577
vCash: 50
Gotta admit, starting to feel a bit meh only three days on my low carb diet. Not shocking given the fact the amount of sugar intake that's suddenly stopped.... probably should've done a bit of a better job weening myself down.

But so far, so good. Three days in, three days of no cheating in anyway and three days of walking for at least an hour, too. Decent enough of a start to 2013.

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:54 PM
  #161
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukNumberOne View Post
1. Lift every day, take maybe 1 rest day per week
2. Buy some protein and creatine
3. Don't bother with cardio
4. Use free weights, the machines are for girls and old people
5. Eat as much protein as humanly possible
6. Drink a **** load of water
7. Get good rest every night
8. Don't wear a muscle shirt/tank top to the gym until you look like a Greek God
9. Wear some nice under armour clothes or other workout stuff, don't be showing up to the gym looking like a clown
10. If a bigger, stronger guy asks you how many sets you have left, politely say "I just finished up, you're all set" even if you still had 3 sets left.
at the bolded. Don't listen to this clown.

predfan24 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:56 PM
  #162
BPR*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 25,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
at the bolded. Don't listen to this clown.
I agree with number eight myself. Don't wear sleeveless shirts unless you can bench 225 and don't wear a muscle shirt/tank top the the gym until you can bench 315.

Edit: Before I get accused of a subtle brag, I can't do either of those things and always wear shirts with sleeves to the gym.

BPR* is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:05 PM
  #163
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Honestly, I'm not going to the gym for a bit until I get used to working out a bit. I have crossbar weights (think that's what they're called) with 100 pounds of weights. Obviously that's high to start out with, but how much is good for a beginner and how long before I add more? Push-ups are obviously good to do but what other things should I do?
Push ups, Sit ups, squats,pull ups are basic excercises you can do that will give you a base of strength/muscular endurance. Honestly though if you are serious about getting in shape and putting on some muscle research how to do the important compound lifts like Bench Press,Squat,Deadlift,Press. Start light and don't get caught up in trying to impress anybody. If you have any question on technique or form ask a trainer in your gym or an experienced gym goer. If you are a true beginner you will see rapid gains.


I'm not dietican but as far as diet goes you need to take in more calories if you want to get bigger and stronger. General rule of thumb: Surplus of carbs first half of the day/before your workout then surplus of protein second half of day/after your work out. Cut out gorging yourself on snacks. You'll need a protein. I go to Wal-Mart and get mine for 15$. Also I hate to get anybody hooked on pre-workouts like me but you might want to look into them as well. I love them personally.

predfan24 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:10 PM
  #164
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Charles View Post
I agree with number eight myself. Don't wear sleeveless shirts unless you can bench 225 and don't wear a muscle shirt/tank top the the gym until you can bench 315.

Edit: Before I get accused of a subtle brag, I can't do either of those things and always wear shirts with sleeves to the gym.
Everybody has their opinions but I think it's utterly idiotic that anybody is even analyzing what anybody else is wearing at the gym unless somebody is wearing something just completely out there. You are at the gym. I'm there to work my ass off and sweat. I don't think about what I'm wearing or what anybody else is wearing. The only time I ever even pay attention to anybodys cloths in the gym is when women wear those tight yoga pants (On the right women, MY GOD) or when D-bags wear hats sideways or backwards at the gym. I have no problem with hat wearers but wear the thing right you don't look cool at all.

predfan24 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 12:09 AM
  #165
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,458
vCash: 500
I agree with 2,4,6,7.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 06:05 AM
  #166
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Orkney Islands
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
If you have any question on technique or form ask a trainer in your gym or an experienced gym goer.
No. Just no. Most personal trainers and experienced gym goers don't know jack about form.

WilderPegasus* is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 07:12 AM
  #167
DatsyukNumberOne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Honestly, I'm not going to the gym for a bit until I get used to working out a bit. I have crossbar weights (think that's what they're called) with 100 pounds of weights. Obviously that's high to start out with, but how much is good for a beginner and how long before I add more? Push-ups are obviously good to do but what other things should I do?
Bro..that is baloney. Get your ass straight to the gym and start lifting every day. I was in your same situation not long ago and forced myself to go every day. Yes, I was embarrassed that some females were lifting more weight than I was, but now I'm the talk of the gym. If you don't wake up so sore you can barely get out of bed for the first month or so, you're doing it wrong.

DatsyukNumberOne* is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 08:02 AM
  #168
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Gotta admit, starting to feel a bit meh only three days on my low carb diet. Not shocking given the fact the amount of sugar intake that's suddenly stopped.... probably should've done a bit of a better job weening myself down.

But so far, so good. Three days in, three days of no cheating in anyway and three days of walking for at least an hour, too. Decent enough of a start to 2013.
Is this your first time you are on low carb diet?

If it is, it's quote normal that adaptation takes a week or few.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 08:13 AM
  #169
blue425
Registered User
 
blue425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Is this your first time you are on low carb diet?

If it is, it's quote normal that adaptation takes a week or few.
Truth.

Carb flu lasted 3-5 days for me.

Sucked at the time, but I got through it and never looked back.

blue425 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 12:29 PM
  #170
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 24,577
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Is this your first time you are on low carb diet?

If it is, it's quote normal that adaptation takes a week or few.
It's my first diet, period, to be quite honest. Even when I was healthier and far more active in high school, I still ate a load of junk.

But, in good news, a coworker that I haven't seen since the new year and who didn't know I was on a diet commented as soon as they saw me today that it looked like I had lost some weight.

Not going to lie, for even a cynical grump like me, felt good to hear that, even if I'm obviously doubting that I've lost anything in just a handful of days of dieting and exercising.

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 12:59 PM
  #171
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Gotta admit, starting to feel a bit meh only three days on my low carb diet. Not shocking given the fact the amount of sugar intake that's suddenly stopped.... probably should've done a bit of a better job weening myself down.

But so far, so good. Three days in, three days of no cheating in anyway and three days of walking for at least an hour, too. Decent enough of a start to 2013.
I used to do 45 minute walks daily. I'm putting those back into it with working out.

So now I'm using free weights, do some cardio afterwards, and later in the day, do a 45 minute walk.

Personally, I've noticed some changes already; I'm not getting shin splints at all, and I'm actually able to do my usual route faster. So I've been taking longer walks just because I can.

Side note: I should stop weighing myself every day. I know body weight fluctuates, so when I see I've suddenly gained a pound or two after two days, I shouldn't be too upset or anything.

Tad Mikowsky is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 03:00 PM
  #172
Elbows of Bure
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacManNJD View Post
I feel like my cigarette smoking kind of alienates me from posting in this thread even though I work out and eat better than I used to.

This New Year's Resolution to quit smoking is going to ****ing blow.
I bet everyone has told you the way they quit smoking, but Allen Carr (RIP) wrote a book "Easy Way to Quit Smoking" that has worked for me, and others. It targets the psychological aspect of smoking, rather than just the physical symptoms (ie nicorette).

It can be found online.

Besides that, you should stay in the thread!

Elbows of Bure is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 05:27 PM
  #173
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev
 
SixthSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,068
vCash: 605
The next post I have to delete the poster responsible for it won't be participating in this thread anymore.


Report as opposed to responding.

SixthSens is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 07:46 PM
  #174
DatsyukNumberOne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
I'm thinking of leaning out more, a lot of girls I have spoken to claim they thought I looked the best before I got too big. It's like an addiction though, but I basically started working out to get girls, so I'm not going to lose track of my goal.

DatsyukNumberOne* is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 07:54 PM
  #175
Janks
Pope Janks
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,308
vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukNumberOne View Post
I'm thinking of leaning out more, a lot of girls I have spoken to claim they thought I looked the best before I got too big. It's like an addiction though, but I basically started working out to get girls, so I'm not going to lose track of my goal.
Don't get too big. Girls tend to go for cut guys, not ones with biceps bigger than trees (from experience at my school)

Janks is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.