HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Alberta's Wildrose party proposes lottery to fund NHL arenas

Old
01-04-2013, 05:21 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
Can someone in Alberta correct me if I am wrong here about the party it self.

They are a far right wing border line libratarion party?

They talk about being responsible for yourself, not using government for everything etc. Than they have this which is private business, getting benefit from government run program? Is this not counter to what there party stands for, they are just adding a new layer of government.

This to me from the outside, just seems like pandering, which sure will get votes but than they will become just a regular party, that everyone will hate.

Edit: If anything they should open up gambling laws, let the teams run it themselves and if people chose to buy tickets teams will get money. Wouldn't that be the far right/small government approach.
In January 2002 the government introduced the Breakaway to Win lottery for the Calgary Flames and the Edmonton Oilers. This was used to offset the Canadian small market teams issues with the dollar.
These were originally $10 scratch tickets but were reduced to $5 in order to compete with the market. It didn't fare especially well and faded away.

http://albertalotteryfund.ca/pdf/qui...kfacts_alf.pdf

Assuming the amount people spend on lotteries doesn't increase, which of the programs in the document above does the government take from to fund the arenas?

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
In January 2002 the government introduced the Breakaway to Win lottery for the Calgary Flames and the Edmonton Oilers. This was used to offset the Canadian small market teams issues with the dollar.
These were originally $10 scratch tickets but were reduced to $5 in order to compete with the market. It didn't fare especially well and faded away.

http://albertalotteryfund.ca/pdf/qui...kfacts_alf.pdf

Assuming the amount people spend on lotteries doesn't increase, which of the programs in the document above does the government take from to fund the arenas?
Would likely be considered "Community Initiative" or "Community Facility Enhancement Program" and they (new arenas) would likely have to be community or provincially owned, not owned by the Flames/Oilers organizations. I believe this is already the case with the Saddledome.

Still, taking $40 million / year away from the programs listed will be problematic, unless they're thinking that will be an extra $40 million, wherever that comes from...

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:46 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
On aggregate what are the chances of somebody winning it? The chances of my house burning to the ground are pretty slim. But I still buy insurance. Insurance companies make money so mathematically speaking it doesn't make sense to buy insurance. But we do because its better to spend a small amount for the potential savings in case of a huge disaster. The logic behind the loto is no different.

And its 1 in roughly 14 million not 26
Which in real life is about the exact same chance.

BTW, your house doesn't need to burn to the ground. A small fire can end up doing a lot of damage once water gets poured on it. Comparing the two is ridiculous, you are INSURING something you own.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:47 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Lottery: The tax on the mathematically challenged
Don't let anyone get you down, this is the nice way of saying what I was going to.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:48 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
That's one limited perspective.

There are many others where it becomes clear why it is in fact quite rational for people to play the lottery.
Is it the new wishing well?