HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Everything Canada (goaltending, coaching, future)

View Poll Results: ....
Yes 83 55.70%
No 41 27.52%
Maybe/Depends on the situation 25 16.78%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-04-2013, 03:39 PM
leafsfuture

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Handsome View Post
I think you're bang on. This team did not resemble the well-oiled machines we usually send to these tournaments, which is painfully ironic considering it's a lockout year. Maybe the theory that the players were believing their own pre-tourney hype also extended to the coaching staff. The players didn't seem to think they needed work ethic to succeed, maybe the coaches felt the same way.
Most importantly, I think Spott thought that Huberdeau and RNH were a level above the competition and were going to tear everyone up. Their skills levels are evident, but both did not play to their potentials.

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Mr Writer

If I were Hockey Canada I'd be going after Andy Murray to be the full time Junior coach, this guy knows the international game inside and out better than anybody else out there. I'd pay him him anything he wanted for 3 years. It's just cash, Hockey Canada is choking on stacks of thousand dollar bills. Hell, they'll just host another tournament and con Canadian hockey fans for another 20 million profit.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Darth Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Most importantly, I think Spott thought that Huberdeau and RNH were a level above the competition and were going to tear everyone up. Their skills levels are evident, but both did not play to their potentials.
I'm not sure I can accurately guess what the blazes Spott was thinking. In the last couple of weeks I didn't see a lot of evidence that he was doing any thinking at all.

I should say right now that getting on the coach is not something I do often when my team loses, but this time it's pretty hard for me not to. This team was mishandled from the get-go.

Darth Handsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
? RNH was ripping up the tournament, basically. Huberdeau I agree wasn't. But anyway, you got off the rocky start in the Semi-final... team is down 2-0, 3-0, 4-0... who are you going to play into the ground to try to get you back in it? How is it not an obvious coaching move to keep trucking those guys out there? They had the day off before, playing them lots in earlier games wasn't a factor. Again, it's a single game elimination. Everything that went before was satisfactory in terms of final result. The adjustment to the officiating was apparently made, the starting goalie was great the previous two games, the star players are the guys you turn to when you need goals. To me, you can't put that stuff against the coaching staff. None of that is where things went wrong.

Something was off in the overall organization of the team for that game, in the gameplan specific to the matchup against the USA, pre-game motivation maybe, whatever. I'm not smart enough or don't have enough insight or information to know what. But I've seen thousands of hockey games and seen that stuff happen countless times. Hall of Fame coaches have had their contending teams lay eggs in important games. It happens. There are usually reasons. But good luck finding them. Rarely easy to figure out. For us sitting in our living rooms watching on TV. But stuff about the goaltending choice or over-use of RNH or whatever just don't even make sense to me as starting points.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:06 PM
CoopALoop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwKtGqgQRWw

We make commercials stating that the pressure is what drives our success.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Big Phil

The whole "Well they are just kids" routine is old. This team deserves to be criticized. Ryan Nugent Hopkins is a millionaire for crying out loud. We can't have it both ways. We worship these kids when they win and when they lose we make excuses and say "they are only teenagers." Well, Manny Legace, Eberle, Toews, Bergeron, Lindros, etc. were only teenagers then too. It hasn't changed. My issue is that I set my alarm for 4am to watch the game live and the Canadian team didn't set their alarm until 5:30am.

You don't want pressure? Then work in a factory and stay as far away from hockey as possible, especially the NHL.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Big Phil

Will Hockey Canada ever learn and pick the Hunters to coach?

Isn't it about time Dale Hunter is behind the bench at this tournament. Good to know that Spott was a "nice" coach but he was a loser plain and simple. Hunter isn't and that family has done wonders with the London Knights.

What will it take for Hunter to finally coach this team and why have they waited so long to ask him? He is a proven winner and you wouldn't see a spineless game like yesterday.

My opinion is that Hunter is similar to Fred Shero of the 1970s. He was succesful but unpopular with opponents. This is why Shero is not in the Hall of Fame. Both Hunter and Shero have a similar style coaching. They are tough, their teams are tough and they don't get pushed around. Maybe they are bullies too, but they win games and they fight for every inch of ice out there. Wake up Bob Nicholson.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Matte99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
He hit a post, got absolutely robbed in close all alone against Gibson, set up Hamilton with a beauty pass on the PP that should've resulted in a goal and made some decent plays and reads. I didn't think he was even that bad TBH.
Yakupov looks like an upgraded version of MPS, why do you think Edm drafted him?

The 3 last U18 finals were played between USA and Sweden.

Canada got more jr players than the rest of the world got players altogether, so not winning is a big deal when it becomes a repeating phenomena.

The weak and heartless performance from the Canadian team was the biggest surprise of all.

Last edited by Matte99: 01-04-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:54 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post
Yakupov looks like an upgraded version of MPS, why do you think Edm drafted him?
My post was in reference to RNH's game against USA in the semi's. Not sure what Yakupov has to do with it.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:59 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
I don't understand how canadians can complain about non-canadian players in CHL.
You mean Don Cherry?

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Matte99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
No one's complaining besides Don Cherry.... and you know what he's like.
Color blind?

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:11 PM
scythe

Everything Canada (goaltending, coaching, future)

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/statistics/?show=goalie

Subban has only the 6th best GAA, and only the 7th best save percentage in the tournament. He's not soley to blame for what happened in the semis, but he wasn't nearly good enough to lead a team through a game like that. In a game like that you need your goalie to be more than average, you need them to stand on their head. The first goal was not his fault at all and you could argue the same for the second. But after that we needed him to come up big and it just wasn't there. And unfortunately the rest of the team was even worse than average. So again, Subban isn't to blame, but he didn't help either.

By way of comparison. Tournament stats:

Malcolm Subban GP: 5 GAA: 2.64 SV%: .908
John Gibson GP: 6 GAA: 1.42 SV%: .954

One of those sets of stats is 'All-World'. The other is decidedly not.

scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Siberian

It's easy, Canada is stuck in the past when picking goaltenders. It happens every year now. I agree that the best at the moment goaltender may have made the difference. I was honestly happy when Canada didn't pick the goalie who was I thought good at the Subway SS (forgot his last name).

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:24 PM
c9gunner

Don't blame the tool, blame the carpetner. Subban is a good goalie. Instead of bringing the mediocre coaches you have to start hiring some real experts (e.g. Brent Sutter - being a Russian fan I absolutely hated him in 2005 and 2006) who are not afraid of making some unpopular decisions in a sake of the team discipline and the best results.

c9gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9gunner View Post
Don't blame the tool, blame the carpetner. Subban is a good goalie. Instead of bringing the mediocre coaches you have to start hiring some real experts (e.g. Brent Sutter - being a Russian fan I absolutely hated him in 2005 and 2006) who are not afraid of making some unpopular decisions in a sake of the team discipline and the best results.

Why? He was part of the problem. Everyone knew he was inconsistent. For some reason Canadians thought that the inconsistency will be gone in the important games. That is naive to say the least. All Gibson, Makarov, Vasilevsky were marginally better. Who thinks you can win this tough tourney with such inconsistent goaltending?

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

True. He was inconsistent. Though two of the three games he wasn't very sharp in it didn't matter as it was against weak competition and Canada easily won anyway and two of the 3 games against strong competition he was sharp including stealing a game form the Americans but obviously the other game was wasn't sharp in was against the Americans in the semis.

An up and down tournament for him but that is actually better than what you can say about some players on team Canada.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Why? He was part of the problem. Everyone knew he was inconsistent. For some reason Canadians thought that the inconsistency will be gone in the important games. That is naive to say the least. All Gibson, Makarov, Vasilevsky were marginally better. Who thinks you can win this tough tourney with such inconsistent goaltending?
Ummm the team in front of him wasn't exactly the model of consistency either.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:35 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
For some reason Canadians thought that the inconsistency will be gone in the important games.
Because it's true. The WJHC is very short and it's all about momentum. And the ultimate responsibility of the coach is to recognize the players who are ready to catch this momentum. There were cases before when an average goalie was abolutely shining in the elimination games. By the way, Makarov shows much better goaltending playing for Russia than playing for the Blades.

c9gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:40 PM
jcbio11

Nah.

Canada scored 1 goal. And it's not like the American goalie had to stand on his head too. Canada's offense just wasn't there. That's your problem right there.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:40 PM
fahad203

I found it to be odd. Goal tending has always been our strength. It was the weak points of many Russian and other European teams, I guess the table has turned.

One goalie nobody mentions is Swedish goalkeepr.

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:47 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I do not get the Subban fascination. He was the worst in training camp and was given the starting position anyways. I predict a Dan Cloutier career.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
I do not get the Subban fascination. He was the worst in training camp and was given the starting position anyways. I predict a Dan Cloutier career.
He was good in last summer summit series that gave him the edge and is probably #1 or atleast #1a out of the candidates in the OHL this season so they pretty much locked onto him.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:25 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
I'm confused.

Last years gold medal game was between Russia and Sweden.

2010 we lost 6-5 to the US in OT.
Author had a hockey brain freeze likely induced by WJC Induced Insomnia and coffee overdoes; those items were corrected. Thanks for reading and taking notice - a THW colleague spotted it just after Ritter posted it.

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:33 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Latest updates with medal games hours away:

2013 WJC: Canada’s Loss To Team USA Alarming (by Mark Ritter)
Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-wjc...-usa-alarming/

Translating Ryan Strome’s Success at the World Juniors (by Anatoliy Metter)
Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/translat...world-juniors/

Subban Deserves To Start In Bronze Medal Game by Ian McLaren
Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/combine/...ze-medal-game/

THW's #2013WJC Viewing Guide main page: http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-wor...viewing-guide/

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:09 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post

The 3 last U18 finals were played between USA and Sweden.

Canada got more jr players than the rest of the world got players altogether, so not winning is a big deal when it becomes a repeating phenomena.

The weak and heartless performance from the Canadian team was the biggest surprise of all.
The U18 tournament really shouldn't count for much as it is not a level playing field.

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote