HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

DotA 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-22-2012, 02:42 AM
  #51
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,890
vCash: 500
I got some more extra BETA keys, PM if you're interested.

Quick update on the competitive scene since the International:
- Star Ladder LAN was won by Na'Vi (basically Euro only tournament)
- ESWC Paris LAN was won by Na'Vi (beating US Dignitas in the final)
- G-1 LAN was won by LGD (International winners iG finished 4th, losing to both iG and Orange)

Dreamhack Winter begins today, should be an awesome tournament, best of EU and NA DOTA attending.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:29 AM
  #52
Habitat
Registered User
 
Habitat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I got some more extra BETA keys, PM if you're interested.

Quick update on the competitive scene since the International:
- Star Ladder LAN was won by Na'Vi (basically Euro only tournament)
- ESWC Paris LAN was won by Na'Vi (beating US Dignitas in the final)
- G-1 LAN was won by LGD (International winners iG finished 4th, losing to both iG and Orange)

Dreamhack Winter begins today, should be an awesome tournament, best of EU and NA DOTA attending.
No tidehunter took dream hack. Wish chinese teams attended dreamhack.

The defense season 3 just started back up finally hopefully dignitas has a strong showing.

Habitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:14 PM
  #53
Habitat
Registered User
 
Habitat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,824
vCash: 500
Team Liquid picks up dota 2 team. Awesome

Habitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:52 PM
  #54
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitat View Post
Team Liquid picks up dota 2 team. Awesome
They picked up former Complexity (bought them out), but instead of Jeyo and Hannah Montana they got Bulba (former mid for EG) and Korok (carry for Quantic).
On paper, they are very strong, probably among the Tier 2 teams atm (tier 1 is Na'Vi, iG, LGD, GK).
Tier 2 - until proven otherwise at a constant level, for me - Orange, Lgd.Int, Empire, EG, now Liquid, TongFu, MUFC, No Tidehunter.

I fully expect them to contend with EG for the best US team (EG has a Danish captain, but rest are NA).
Dignitas is the wild card in NA, still growing, maybe they can surprise...

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:45 PM
  #55
Habitat
Registered User
 
Habitat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
They picked up former Complexity (bought them out), but instead of Jeyo and Hannah Montana they got Bulba (former mid for EG) and Korok (carry for Quantic).
On paper, they are very strong, probably among the Tier 2 teams atm (tier 1 is Na'Vi, iG, LGD, GK).
Tier 2 - until proven otherwise at a constant level, for me - Orange, Lgd.Int, Empire, EG, now Liquid, TongFu, MUFC, No Tidehunter.

I fully expect them to contend with EG for the best US team (EG has a Danish captain, but rest are NA).
Dignitas is the wild card in NA, still growing, maybe they can surprise...
Yep I think Dignitas, EG and Liquid both can be argued as #1 in NA

Habitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:01 AM
  #56
Augscura
Registered User
 
Augscura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,704
vCash: 500
Surprised how little posts there are in this thread. Just getting into the game now, played a few games a chaos knight and watched some tutorial videos on him. Think I will stick with him for a while.

Augscura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:57 PM
  #57
Habitat
Registered User
 
Habitat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aura View Post
Surprised how little posts there are in this thread. Just getting into the game now, played a few games a chaos knight and watched some tutorial videos on him. Think I will stick with him for a while.
To many league players on hfboards. Not enough dota players

Habitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:49 PM
  #58
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitat View Post
To many league players on hfboards. Not enough dota players
I think that's pretty normal. LoL is much more casual friendly.
No offense to LoL players (played like 700 games myself when it came out), but DOTA is just so much more complex it's not even funny.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:00 PM
  #59
Cashville
RIP Lindback
 
Cashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,032
vCash: 1225
Thought about giving this a shot, but I have a feeling I'm going to join a PUG game, get screamed at for 30 minutes for having no idea what I'm doing (never played DOTA before), then never play again. I read a 15 page guide that was recommended, but I'd still be horrible.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:17 PM
  #60
Sportacus
:)
 
Sportacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,683
vCash: 50
So I just started playing this... Is Drow supposed to be this good?

__________________
Based on Japanese History
Sportacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:20 PM
  #61
Habitat
Registered User
 
Habitat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Thought about giving this a shot, but I have a feeling I'm going to join a PUG game, get screamed at for 30 minutes for having no idea what I'm doing (never played DOTA before), then never play again. I read a 15 page guide that was recommended, but I'd still be horrible.
Dont be scared, just play. Aura just got the game and has 11 wins and he solo ques vs people with max 15 wins. Valve will put you up against people your skill level. If you have 0 wins and selected new player or w\e you WILL get put up vs people with like 0-5 wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportacus View Post
So I just started playing this... Is Drow supposed to be this good?
Thing you need to know is there is no real OP hero. But if you feed them there are some heros that snowball really fast

Habitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:23 PM
  #62
Augscura
Registered User
 
Augscura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Thought about giving this a shot, but I have a feeling I'm going to join a PUG game, get screamed at for 30 minutes for having no idea what I'm doing (never played DOTA before), then never play again. I read a 15 page guide that was recommended, but I'd still be horrible.
Like Habitat said, I just started playing on New years, first MOBA/Dota style game I've ever gotten into and I'm already playing solo que and there it is pretty noob friendly as long as you select that you're new when you create an account.

That said, it is more fun to play with friends but if you're friends are good you're gonna get matched up against good players when you que so get used to some growing pains. That's a stage I'm in now but I'm still enjoying it.

Augscura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:20 AM
  #63
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportacus View Post
So I just started playing this... Is Drow supposed to be this good?
Drow was stupidly OP til the latest patch (but was banned from competitive "Captain's Mode" game) - the change to her aura was a much needed nerf... She's still banned from CM, so hard to say if she's still OP - IMO no, just that in uncoordinated pubs, she deals a lot of DPS and can be hard to cope with at times.

She's also very easy - on surface - for new players, but she's also a "carry" hero - meaning you have to keep your farm up and get items at a decent rate in order to be effective and basically carry your team late game - which isn't always that simple for new players.

My advice is, until you get a firm grasp on the game, stick to supports (Tide, CM, Venomancer, Jakiro, Shadow Demon, etc.), learn the basics of laning and lane control, jungling and creep stacking/pulling, ganking and warding...

I got a couple of mates who are still fairly new, and while it's limiting that their hero pool is small, they have the support role down now and it's a much better experience to play with them than random pubs.

As far as roles go, quick overview is - usually they go by importance of farm:

Position 1 - carry... Safe lane, controlled farm, relatively simple to play, but a huge load of responsibility... if you can't sense ganks incoming or you miss last hits - not for you.

Position 2 - solo mid... the "playmaker" in the team, needs farm levels and early core items, controls the ganks in mid game... Basically your mid-game go-to hero. Turns to semi-carry late game.

Position 3 - Solo lane (mostly), heroes that can effectively solo vs a lane with multiple heroes, mostly underfarmed and underleveled and then they have some way to make up for it in mid-game

Postion 4 - support/jungle/gank.... Most often a jungle, can be hard to play as most of them are micro-intensive (Enchantress, Chen, Enigma, etc.).

Position 5 - support... Lane support, gank, ward, counter-ward...
Best for new player - low amount of responsibility, but can have a massive impact on early game and thus the whole game if played properly.
Your mid and carry will love you for wards and ganks and counterganks (TP when your carry is getting ganked), and you'll much less slack for not performing great compared to the amount of flame a carry or mid gets.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:56 AM
  #64
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man
 
Helpoing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 1,035
vCash: 500
Love this game. Still a noob, but that doesn't stop me from having fun. Playing almost exclusively Single Draft mode (with friends or solo) and in-between am watching Purge gameplay commentaries.

Here's a very quick staring guide for newcomers

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:39 PM
  #65
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?
 
Mr.Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 129
I've never played DotA but I've been playing LoL for a while now. Will I suck too?

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:44 AM
  #66
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
I've never played DotA but I've been playing LoL for a while now. Will I suck too?
Yep.

DOTA is infinitely more complicated and challenging than LoL.
It's also more rewarding if you get better and progress.

Anyway, I got some more extra BETA keys if anyone's interested.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:00 PM
  #67
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man
 
Helpoing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 1,035
vCash: 500
I wouldn't say that it is so much more rewarding to win in DotA, but it is indeed more complicated to play for noobs. There are many reasons for that:
- all heroes are available to everyone, which means that a new player will encounter totally different line-ups each time he plays, while in LoL rosters will consist of the same free rotation champions;
- snowballing is so much more common;
- damage to life ratio is higher;
- no free recall;
- towers and even the fountain aren't your safe haven and diving is very popular and effective;
- much less gold to spend: passive gold flow is minimal, no gold per minute items, last hitting at the start of the game is tough due to slow attack animations, gold penalties upon death are quite harsh;
- tons of items that require activation in order to be useful;
- lots of important mechanics that are absent in LoL: denying, pulling, stacking, day/night vision, uphill/downhill positioning, different shops, couriers, buybacks, disassembling items, etc.

With that said, mastering LoL and reaching a high elo (like 2000+) is also very hard, but for a new player LoL isn't as punishing as DotA. The amount of rage & flame is the same though.

Also have quite a few invites, PM me if you need one.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:00 PM
  #68
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
I wouldn't say that it is so much more rewarding to win in DotA, but it is indeed more complicated to play for noobs. There are many reasons for that:
- all heroes are available to everyone, which means that a new player will encounter totally different line-ups each time he plays, while in LoL rosters will consist of the same free rotation champions;
- snowballing is so much more common;
- damage to life ratio is higher;
- no free recall;
- towers and even the fountain aren't your safe haven and diving is very popular and effective;
- much less gold to spend: passive gold flow is minimal, no gold per minute items, last hitting at the start of the game is tough due to slow attack animations, gold penalties upon death are quite harsh;
- tons of items that require activation in order to be useful;
- lots of important mechanics that are absent in LoL: denying, pulling, stacking, day/night vision, uphill/downhill positioning, different shops, couriers, buybacks, disassembling items, etc.

With that said, mastering LoL and reaching a high elo (like 2000+) is also very hard, but for a new player LoL isn't as punishing as DotA. The amount of rage & flame is the same though.

Also have quite a few invites, PM me if you need one.
Wow.

LoL sounds so bland hahahaha

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:53 AM
  #69
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
I wouldn't say that it is so much more rewarding to win in DotA, but it is indeed more complicated to play for noobs. There are many reasons for that:
- all heroes are available to everyone, which means that a new player will encounter totally different line-ups each time he plays, while in LoL rosters will consist of the same free rotation champions;
- snowballing is so much more common;
- damage to life ratio is higher;
- no free recall;
- towers and even the fountain aren't your safe haven and diving is very popular and effective;
- much less gold to spend: passive gold flow is minimal, no gold per minute items, last hitting at the start of the game is tough due to slow attack animations, gold penalties upon death are quite harsh;
- tons of items that require activation in order to be useful;
- lots of important mechanics that are absent in LoL: denying, pulling, stacking, day/night vision, uphill/downhill positioning, different shops, couriers, buybacks, disassembling items, etc.

With that said, mastering LoL and reaching a high elo (like 2000+) is also very hard, but for a new player LoL isn't as punishing as DotA. The amount of rage & flame is the same though.

Also have quite a few invites, PM me if you need one.
I don't disagree "mastering LoL" is very hard, you still have to learn a billion heroes and the mechanics of the game.

But DOTA is so much more advanced, that when you finally get to a top-tier of play, it IS more rewarding.
Your own list:
- lots of important mechanics that are absent in LoL: denying, pulling, stacking, day/night vision, uphill/downhill positioning, different shops, couriers, buybacks, disassembling items, etc.

I'd add microing to that list, there are quite a few heroes in DOTA that require serious microing skills.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:11 AM
  #70
Habitat
Registered User
 
Habitat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,824
vCash: 500
Finally got Aura addicted to Dota

Habitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:07 AM
  #71
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man
 
Helpoing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 1,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Wow.

LoL sounds so bland hahahaha
It's still entertaining. Sadly, don't have the time for both games and at this point DotA intrigues me more. Though a few weeks ago I played support in League (Soraka) and was surprised how little I had to do in early/mid game. Just babysit my ADC, watch the minimap and occasionally throw a pair of wards. No stacking/pulling, denying, roaming, taking care of the courier. This ended up in me constantly checking out the action on other lanes and my ulties saving mid and top a couple of times. Our opponents then screamed that we were premade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I don't disagree "mastering LoL" is very hard, you still have to learn a billion heroes and the mechanics of the game.

But DOTA is so much more advanced, that when you finally get to a top-tier of play, it IS more rewarding.
Your own list:
- lots of important mechanics that are absent in LoL: denying, pulling, stacking, day/night vision, uphill/downhill positioning, different shops, couriers, buybacks, disassembling items, etc.

I'd add microing to that list, there are quite a few heroes in DOTA that require serious microing skills.
Probably you're right. The feeling after the win is mosty the same, but the number of tricks that you can pull off to get an advantage over your enemy is higher.

I think microing and courier management fall into the same category (of course, microing is a broader term), but what I entirely forgot is juking (i.e. hiding and escaping using the terrain). Similar to zig-zaging through the bushes in League, but more complex, I have to say.

And from another perspective a game in DotA is rewarding, because all players have a fairly big chance to get a free cosmetic item at the end

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:53 PM
  #72
Augscura
Registered User
 
Augscura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,704
vCash: 500
Bump. What is everyone's favourite hero? Or your best hero?

Nyx Assassin is my best, one of my favourites as well. Also like Spirit Breaker, Shadow Fiend, Chaos Knight and Sand King

Augscura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:20 AM
  #73
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aura View Post
Bump. What is everyone's favourite hero? Or your best hero?

Nyx Assassin is my best, one of my favourites as well. Also like Spirit Breaker, Shadow Fiend, Chaos Knight and Sand King
My favorites are probably semi-carries:
Invoker, Mirana, Templar Assassin, Windrunner, Nightstalker, Beatmaster...
Or aggressive carries with mid-game presence (Chaos Knight, Naix, ...).
As far as gankers/support go, probably Nyx Assassin, Lina and Rubick.

In pubs, to me, it's important to have a hero that can be the "playmaker", control the tempo of the game - more often than not, team that starts moving around the map and killing people will win out in pubs - even in my tier ("very high skill") 9/10 times people will still stay in lane and farm (even if they aren't carries) than come and TP to help someone being ganked.

Most hated? Whatever's currently "broken".
Right now, it'd be Undying. He's basically uncounterable in pubs if he's got a pushing teammate or two.
And Dark Seer, always Dark Seer. No nerfs are enough for the mofo.
He's been top pick/top ban forever now.
And Drow. A nooby, no skill hero that can rip you apart with half the farm of your carry. (she isn't "OP", just annoying)

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:42 AM
  #74
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man
 
Helpoing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 1,035
vCash: 500
I played too little (100+ games) to have a favorite hero or even a favorite role. Obviously, supports are a bit easier and hard carries are harder, because of the difference in the amount of last hitting that the player has to do with them.

I hate to play against good counter pushers, especially Tinker and Phantom Lancer. Tink can cast E a few times, tp home, ult, then go and push another lane. This cycle takes less than a minute. But a farmed PL can just repeatedly send a few illusions to any lane while continuing his jungle farming. If left unchecked, then pure illusions will wreck your towers all the way to the rax.

Magnus can also be a huge problem in pubs of my skill level, because players tend to group early and initiate 5v5. And if he gets blink and doesn't constantly miss with skewer, then his team basically gets an enhanced version of Venge's ult.

And Dark Seer's Vacuum+Wall combo is a team killer. An obvious choice for an easy win in the Rosh pit.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:31 PM
  #75
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor
 
KpopandHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 8,600
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
My favorites are probably semi-carries:
Invoker, Mirana, Templar Assassin, Windrunner, Nightstalker, Beatmaster...
Or aggressive carries with mid-game presence (Chaos Knight, Naix, ...).
As far as gankers/support go, probably Nyx Assassin, Lina and Rubick.

In pubs, to me, it's important to have a hero that can be the "playmaker", control the tempo of the game - more often than not, team that starts moving around the map and killing people will win out in pubs - even in my tier ("very high skill") 9/10 times people will still stay in lane and farm (even if they aren't carries) than come and TP to help someone being ganked.

Most hated? Whatever's currently "broken".
Right now, it'd be Undying. He's basically uncounterable in pubs if he's got a pushing teammate or two.
And Dark Seer, always Dark Seer. No nerfs are enough for the mofo.
He's been top pick/top ban forever now.
And Drow. A nooby, no skill hero that can rip you apart with half the farm of your carry. (she isn't "OP", just annoying)
Funny you should list your favorite role as semi-carry. I've been wanting to try out some more carry type heroes after playing almost exclusively as support. I want to last hit more. Is there any way you would recommend getting good at the role of semi-carry other than just roaming around for ganks more often?

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.