HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why can't CDN fans rally around CDN teams in the Playoffs?

Old
01-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Zombotron
WD-57

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster316 View Post
flames are our rival? really since when?

oilers yes but flames have done NOTHING...they are lucky they won in 89
Prior to the Flames' recent downward spiral, they were a worthy adversary. Emphasis on "were."

Zombotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:23 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
the disgraceful amount of people in vancouver who cheered on the flames in '04 proved once and for all that vancouver may have many great fans, but by and large is not a true sports city.

our biggest natural rival, that knocked us out in the first round that year no less. a disgraceful showing. disgraceful.
I am with you on this one, I bought a cheap Lightning t shirt for the Finals. I signed it and sent to my brother in law in Calgary. It wasn't easy to find.

But of course the Flames were a classy group with Simon, Oliwa, Denis Gauthier, Niemenen etc....

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:24 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post
Prior to the Flames' recent downward spiral, they were a worthy adversary. Emphasis on "were."
I don't care how bad they've sucked of late, I still really enjoy beating them and really hate losing. I am sure that Calpuke.com has stoked that dislike a little.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:26 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post

Yup you know those dirty Canucks! What exactly have they done to make them "really dirty"? Especially when compared to a team like the Bruins.

@SephF

A finger biting incident helped sway your opinion when it came to liking Van? What about Marc Savard biting Carcillo? I mean he clearly did it first so your hate should originate there... no?

People are so selective in what they remember when it comes to hating. Also EVERY TEAM DIVES! Whats that saying about throwing stones & a glass house?
It doesn't sway the way I feel about the entire team but it sure changes your opinion on the specific player. Thought it was shameful when Savard did it too who was no stranger to those kind of antics.

It just so happens a lot of Vancouvers top players act like idiots out there. We've all seen tough guy Kesler chirping and running around then refusing to drop the gloves (unless its against Sam Gagner). Burrows is just... Burrows. Lappy is Lappy. Can't help but dislike Bieksa (except for his terrific interview skills).

Still remember the Matt Cooke days.

All I have to say is Vancouver is lucky they have the Sedins.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:32 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Can you do it for me then count the Bruin dives and cheap garbage.
Go watch the 2004 Series and tell me how many times Iginla dives....

Seriously, your team was a disgrace, there is a reason no one outside of Vancouver cheered for them.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Free*

I would say in terms of national support, the Oilers cup run was the most widely supported run in the country (outside of Vancouver and Calgary).

8th seed Stanley Cup appearance? How could you not like that?

Free* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:42 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Why would I do that? What would it prove?

I am ok with people not cheering for the Canucks. In fact, it's a good thing.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
8th seed Stanley Cup appearance? How could you not like that?
Well that's just it. Underdog-ness is part of our national mentality.

And they did it in spectacular fashion, too.

I'm not even an Oilers fan and I could have cheered for that.

Zombotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:48 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
It doesn't sway the way I feel about the entire team but it sure changes your opinion on the specific player. Thought it was shameful when Savard did it too who was no stranger to those kind of antics.

It just so happens a lot of Vancouvers top players act like idiots out there. We've all seen tough guy Kesler chirping and running around then refusing to drop the gloves (unless its against Sam Gagner). Burrows is just... Burrows. Lappy is Lappy. Can't help but dislike Bieksa (except for his terrific interview skills).

Still remember the Matt Cooke days.

All I have to say is Vancouver is lucky they have the Sedins.
I think Oil fans loved Messier, he may have been the biggest cheapshot artist in the history of the sport. Your team, like my team, and every other team, has guys and has had guys that other teams didn't like. The difference is some people spend a lot of time and energy crying about it for years.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:07 PM
RDRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post

Seriously, your team was a disgrace, there is a reason no one outside of Vancouver cheered for them.
That first sentence had literally nothing to do with what he said. Mind boggling you would mention it. Wait... I recognize that username! Calgarypuck amiright? Ah yes, makes sense now.

Must. State. Calgary>Vancouver. Somehow.

A fair amount of people outside of the lower mainland cheered for Vancouver during their SCF. No need to make stuff up.

RDRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:19 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDRR View Post
That first sentence had literally nothing to do with what he said. Mind boggling you would mention it. Wait... I recognize that username! Calgarypuck amiright? Ah yes, makes sense now.

Must. State. Calgary>Vancouver. Somehow.

A fair amount of people outside of the lower mainland cheered for Vancouver during their SCF. No need to make stuff up.
Hilarious, didn't realize the CP presence had sense my post. I wonder if Niemenen dove? Or if Gauthier kneed anyone? Did Simon stomp on anyone? Or maybe Oliwa broke someone's hand with his face. Even the immortal Todd Bertuzzi somehow caught a break when he signed in Cal. Suddenly he didn't seem so bad. Same goes for Ronnie Stern.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:32 PM
GodTukka*

The only two Canadian teams i'll cheer for is either the Jets or Oilers

GodTukka* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Chileiceman

I find that those who cheer for teams just because they are Canadian are casual fans that probably know little about any other team except their own or may not even know much about their own team.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Ringmaster316

i cheer for all cdn teams except for flames and sens cuz they have no history...and any history they might have nobody cares for

habs/leafs/oilers have history so it would be nice if they won

jets and nucks also have no history however i was born in vancouver so i have to cheer them on

Ringmaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Ringmaster316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
I find that those who cheer for teams just because they are Canadian are casual fans that probably know little about any other team except their own or may not even know much about their own team.

so not true

i always cheer for the last cdn team standing(except in 07 cuz i LOVED the way the ducks played) however i am not a canucks fan first i am a HOCKEY fan FIRST

i always watch NHL Center Ice because i like watching/following all the teams

this is how my cheering goes in the playoffs:

1. canucks(hometown)
2. pens(crosby)
3. sharks(since 2003 i have LOVED watching this team on center ice)
4. last cdn team left

Ringmaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:19 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
no offense but that's an awfully close minded point of view. Patriotism exists everywhere. Would you say the same to NHL fans in europe who cheer for the team in which has the most players from their country? Or hard core junior hockey fans who cheer on their alumni?

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Flames fan, and I would likely cheer for the Jets, Leafs, and Sens as long as they weren't playing Calgary. I hate Montreal and Vancouver. Edmonton, oddly enough, is kinda in the middle. Depending on who the Oilers played, I may cheer for them.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Are you seriously that blind?

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPlayer View Post
Just dont get why Canadian fans don't like supporting the other teams in the country, while it seems they would rather cheer against them.

We saw this with Vancouver a few years ago. I suspect it would be the same with the Leafs if/when they make it, which is sad since Americans seem to not have any issues with the Leafs.

So whats the deal? Is the rivalry between Canadian teams too intense from all the divisional matches?
cause it shouldnt matter if a canadian team wins it (all that matter is that either the key players are canadian or the team is a majority of canadians... jk)

IN ALL HONESTY I DONT GIVE A RATS ASS WHO WINS THE CUP ALL I CARE ABOUT IS THE AMAZING PLAYOFF ACTION AND RIVALRIES

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Great point. I was more of a casual fan back in the 04/06 runs then I am now.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:

oilers yes but flames have done NOTHING...they are lucky they won in 89
this is just plain ridiculous to say we had a very solid team, and honestly should have won more cups then they did

i know oiler fans and canuck fans that think they dhould have won 2-3 cups with the roster that they had back in 89

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:40 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
this is just plain ridiculous to say we had a very solid team, and honestly should have won more cups then they did

i know oiler fans and canuck fans that think they dhould have won 2-3 cups with the roster that they had back in 89
Oilers fans think you should have won more Cups, IF you didn't have to face the Juggernaut 80's Oilers. And you know what we're right. from 86-89 the Flames were probably the 2nd best team in the league.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:46 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
Oilers fans think you should have won more Cups, IF you didn't have to face the Juggernaut 80's Oilers. And you know what we're right. from 86-89 the Flames were probably the 2nd best team in the league.
For sure they were. Guys used to call road trips through Alberta "death valley" because of the extreme cold and two juggernauts they'd have to play against.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Ronoceros

Loved the flames cup run, if only for the ****!

I've been tree planting for the past 7 seasons so I have missed that many SC's, even my Sens run, but Calgary, Edmonton, and the Jets are teams I can get behind.

Ronoceros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Arent there still remnants from when there was only two canadian teams in the NHL, or are the fanbases just simply new ones that has no ties to TML and Canadiens? I would think family history should still prefer one of them as their "second team".

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote