HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2013 NFL playoffs and other hirings/firings

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

vCash: 500
i just give up on the jets. actually, i gave up last summer. sideshow

Old
01-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
umm... http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap20...ons-highlights

yes that was early in the season, but that was peyton pretty much being the reason his team lost. to the falcons. in a dome.

yes the falcons are inconsistent, yes their defense is average, yes they don't have much of a run game, but they've made some of the best qb's in the league look benchable this year, they have the best te in history and two other wr's with 1,200 + yards, and they are one of the most disciplined, well coached teams in the league.

they aren't the best team in the league, but to simply write them off like so many people seem to be doing is kind of ridiculous.
I think after last year they'll maybe do a bit more. I mean, I don't think many of us expect a huge choke or collapse. But the discipline and the pieces on offense that they have make them dangerous.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:51 PM
apice3*

Quote:

yes that was early in the season, but that was peyton pretty much being the reason his team lost. to the falcons. in a dome.

yes the falcons are inconsistent, yes their defense is average, yes they don't have much of a run game, but they've made some of the best qb's in the league look benchable this year, they have the best te in history and two other wr's with 1,200 + yards, and they are one of the most disciplined, well coached teams in the league.

they aren't the best team in the league, but to simply write them off like so many people seem to be doing is kind of ridiculous.
Peyton sucked for 1 quarter. Aside from that, I recall him picking apart the Falcons the rest of the game and only losing by 6 after being down by 20. And the Super Bowl site is neutral, not the home field that Atlanta had in that regular season game.

Also, I've probably been the biggest Falcons supporter on this board all season, as evident by me putting them in the Super Bowl in my prediction. I'm not writing them off. I just don't see Peyton losing to them. If Peyton loses, it's to the Pats. I don't see any other team beating him.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:16 PM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

O shocker Apic predicting the 49ers to lose just like last year.

Quote:

He is always wrong so don't listen. lol

Old
01-04-2013, 05:19 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeurRULES View Post

How is he always wrong if he predicted them to lose last year?

Old
01-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
I always thought I would enjoy attending the NFL Draft. I probably still would, but I imagine the crowds/lines just to get in are so crazy I wouldn't enjoy it quite enough. Seems like a good time though once/if you get in. I did go to the NBA Draft when it was in Newark and that wasn't bad. I assume the NFL is probably that much better because the crowd is a lot more into it.
I still dislike that they re-arranged the draft to have the first round on Thursday night, rounds 2-3 on Friday night, and 4-7 on Saturday night. It was an enjoyable tradition for me to roll out of bed on Saturday morning and watch the draft for 5+ hours. In 2010 and 2012, the first round coincided with elimination playoff games for the Devils.

My cousin looked into doing the draft last year. Apparently you had to wait all day Wednesday to get a wristband and you still weren't guaranteed to be let in the next day.

I went to the NBA Draft last year. Happened to be seated behind Ron Harper.

The one thing I enjoy about the NHL Draft is that everybody is there. 60+ draft eligible players along with GMs, scouts, coaches, and a handful of NHLers.

That dynamic wasn't there with the NBA. Only ~dozen prospects were there and they were seated on the draft floor away from the crowd. After those prospects were drafted, it wasn't exciting waiting for David Stern to pop out and announce a name.

I happened to be seated among Philip Danault's family/entourage when he was picked by Chicago in 2011. It was oddly exciting to have everybody around me spontaneously burst in joy when his name was called.

Although the NBA is smart enough to simulcast the ESPN broadcast within the arena. This way the crowd knew when to heckle Jeff Van Gundy and Chris Broussard. It'd be nice if the NHL would show the TSN feed.

But like you said, I think the atmosphere for the NFL Draft would be an entirely different beast. The NBA Draft this year was kinda dead which I figured was a result of the Knicks/Nets both not having first rounders.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:13 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeurRULES View Post

If you actually comprehended either of my posts, I wasn't bashing the Falcons. For Christ sakes I PICKED THEM TO WIN THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Is that not enough praise for a team that has been bashed on these boards all year?

I picked the 49ers to lose their first playoff game last year. And wow, they lost their second game instead. I was wayyyyyy off.

And yeah I pick the 49ers to lose to the Packers this year. I'm clearly defying the odds and picking a HUGE underdog. Two overtime games against the Rams this year. Yeah they're going places.

Speaking of the 49ers though, I was soooo wrong when I said Kaepernick will be starting over Smith once Smith was healthy. Definitely eating crow on that one.

Last edited by apice3*: 01-04-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old
01-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
It is definately true, whether the tat is real or fake is the question and regardless either way its a bit bizzare
Say what you want about the man, it's clear he loves his wife.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:37 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Rex had to be kidding...or insanely drunk. Especially since his wife is Tebowing in the tattoo which makes it even goofier. This is how easy it is to bust balls on something like that:

https://twitter.com/strombone1/statu...68877321621504

Old
01-04-2013, 07:55 PM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

I guarantee the tat is fake and he got it because he knew paparazzi would flock to the Bahamas to spot him eventually.

At least I hope so haha.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:56 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog172430 View Post
I guarantee the tat is fake and he got it because he knew paparazzi would flock to the Bahamas to spot him eventually.

At least I hope so haha.
According to a member of the front office it's real and has had it for a while. and's she flexing, not Tebowing

But of course, this is the media's fault too I'm sure

Old
01-04-2013, 08:01 PM
apice3*

I don't see why anyone who is involved with the league who isn't a cemented fixture (Brady, Ray Lewis, etc) would get a tattoo involving their current team. Imagine Brandon Marshall getting a Broncos tattoo.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:14 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
According to a member of the front office it's real and has had it for a while. and's she flexing, not Tebowing

It's pretty voyeuristic to be taking pictures when he's lying on a beach thousands of miles away, no? Especially when whoever did it was practically sneaking around in a bush behind him.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:18 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
It's pretty voyeuristic to be taking pictures when he's lying on a beach thousands of miles away, no? Especially when whoever did it was practically sneaking around in a bush behind him.
I haven't followed the story because I don't care but I'm gonna guess the picture was taken by another vacationer on the beach and emailed/sold to the newspaper. And he's shirtless on a beach. You don't need to "sneak around a bush behind him" to get that picture.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:25 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
I haven't followed the story because I don't care but I'm gonna guess the picture was taken by another vacationer on the beach and emailed/sold to the newspaper. And he's shirtless on a beach. You don't need to "sneak around a bush behind him" to get that picture.
Joe Schmoe is going to take a picture of Rex's side, just happening to zero in on his tattoo? Sorry, doubt that one. If Joe Schmoe saw Rex on a beach and knew who he was he'd probably go and talk to him, not sneak a picture and roll it off to the papers. And look at the borders of the picture, the guy taking it is definitely surrounded by something, or at least his camera is.

And Cimini's a clown that hates the Jets, I wouldn't believe anything he or 'his source' happened to say about whether Rex had the tattoo for years or not.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:53 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

People sell pictures to newspapers all the time. You know that, right? There are people that would rather make a buck then meet a fat slob, especially considering he's probably at a high end resort there are people there looking to take a celebrity's photo for something like this. And the fact that he's shirtless in public is an open invitation for this. I'm sorry but it is.

These Jet apologists blaming anything on the media are ridiculously hilarious

Old
01-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

WFAN said it was taken by a reporter who tried to talk to rex/ask him questions and Rex (rightfully so, guys on friggen vacation) ignored him

Old
01-04-2013, 10:00 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Shouldn't be on vacation as per NFL rules

Old
01-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Peyton sucked for 1 quarter. Aside from that, I recall him picking apart the Falcons the rest of the game and only losing by 6 after being down by 20. And the Super Bowl site is neutral, not the home field that Atlanta had in that regular season game.

Also, I've probably been the biggest Falcons supporter on this board all season, as evident by me putting them in the Super Bowl in my prediction. I'm not writing them off. I just don't see Peyton losing to them. If Peyton loses, it's to the Pats. I don't see any other team beating him.
the 2nd part of my post wasn't really directed at you, or anyone on this board so much as just people in general.

as for manning, i'm not saying the falcons would beat him, but if he won it wouldn't be because they're in a dome. that's just silly.
Quote:

clearly the front office people bought into the meme.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Shouldn't be on vacation as per NFL rules
Paid for the trip in full with airline miles/points, so its kosher.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

As much as I can't stand the guy, if he's with his family on their own private time let the guy be

There are 51 more weeks this year they can get in touch with him

Old
01-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

So because he ditches out on a mandatory bull **** lip service press conference, that makes it okay for a tabloid to send "reporters" to his vacation spot and try to get him to make a statement? And when he doesn't, it justifies them taking pictures of him sunbathing with a weirdo tattoo?

I'm sorry, how the **** is a tattoo related to football? Or why the Jets went 6-10? Unless you're going to seriously tell me that his god awfully drawn wife, wearing a number 6 jersey, is reason to believe that's why he wouldn't start Tim Tebow?

Old
01-04-2013, 10:48 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Regardless of the invasion of privacy, which I totally respect. WTF is up with the tattoo?

Old
01-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

Maybe his wife is a big North Texas Mean Green fan

Old
01-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

She's actually a huge Bubby Brister fan