HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Cherry: CHL should stop letting Americans and Europeans to play in CHL (merged)

Old
01-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Jim Morrison

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
I like Don and respect him but don't always agree with what he says.
I like and respect a lot of people though don't necessarily agree with them all the time.
So strange. So very strange. It's like the Stockholm Syndrome. I don't think I can respect anyone that respects Don Cherry. And I'm sorry about that, but that's just the way it is. He keeps me from truly loving Canada, a country that I have family in and that I love visiting. I just think he's an AWFUL human being with a twisted view on humanity. And this may come off as ridiculous. I just think he's a bigot with air-time on TV that he doesn't deserve.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Jonimaus

Haha I just googled Don cherry to see who he was. I can actually remember thinking "Who the hell is this clown?" when I saw him on my NHL streams a couple of times. Seems I was right.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
So strange. So very strange. It's like the Stockholm Syndrome. I don't think I can respect anyone that respects Don Cherry. And I'm sorry about that, but that's just the way it is. He keeps me from truly loving Canada, a country that I have family in and that I love visiting. I just think he's an AWFUL human being with a twisted view on humanity. And this may come off as ridiculous. I just think he's a bigot with air-time on TV that he doesn't deserve.
He's certainly not a bigot or racist. But you are entitled to your opinion.

A guy I can't respect is someone like that NRA guy that advocates arming teachers in schools. To me that's an awful human being with a twisted view on humanity.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
He's certainly not a bigot or racist. But you are entitled to your opinion.

A guy I can't respect is someone like that NRA guy that advocates arming teachers in schools. To me that's an awful human being with a twisted view on humanity.
That, we very much agree on.

But Don Cherry have to be the definition of a bigot, the ways he loves Ontario-boys and Canada and at the same time puts down other nationalities, purposely mis-pronounce foreign names and NEVER gives ANY credit to a player of another nationality. Obviously not an extreme bigot, but in my eyes it's bigotry nontheless.

Last edited by Jim Morrison: 01-04-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old
01-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Quote:

But Don Cherry have to be the definition of a bigot, the ways he loves Ontario-boys and Canada and at the same time puts down other nationalities, purposely mis-pronounce foreign names and NEVER gives ANY credit to a player of another nationality.
He's put down Crosby a number of times and other Canadian players and pumped OV a few times.
He has good things to say about Sundin and Salming.

The mans not perfect and does say stupid things. I put a lot of it down to his age and the entertainment factor.
Controversy sells, and he's a showman.
As for not pronouncing names properly, he's not the only one that screws that up. I don't think he does it intentionally, he really (like a lot of people) has a hard time with some peoples names.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
He's put down Crosby a number of times and other Canadian players and pumped OV a few times.
He has good things to say about Sundin and Salming.

The mans not perfect and does say stupid things. I put a lot of it down to his age and the entertainment factor.
Controversy sells, and he's a showman.
Entertainment is not everything. Controversy truly sells, and in that sense he's truly a master of it. It's just too bad he stands by every word of controversy that comes out of his mouth - and not that it's just for TV.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:58 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:

But Don Cherry have to be the definition of a bigot, the ways he loves Ontario-boys and Canada and at the same time puts down other nationalities, purposely mis-pronounce foreign names and NEVER gives ANY credit to a player of another nationality. Obviously not an extreme bigot, but in my eyes it's bigotry nontheless.
Kevin Bye-Eska is from Ontario.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:03 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
I've read some melodrama on this board, but this takes the holy gosh darn bakery. BTW, the horrible human being has done more for charity, sick kids and military than most people on the planet. Certainly more than the drug addicted alcoholic in your avatar.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:24 PM
LSnow

Clever.

I thought he was stupid bigot, but he is actually a pretty smart entertainer.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:27 PM
tmlms13

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Would Mr. Cherry also recommend the good Canadian boys playing here, here and here to pack their stuff and come home?

There´s actually a number of European nations whose hockey development has IMO suffered thanks to the influx of 2nd/3rd rate Canadian players - while it mighthave made the leagues higehr quality, at the same time it took away ice-time from a lot of home players, especially the young ones. Austria and Germany before introducing foreigner limits are an example....

Nearly all of the Canadians playing in Europe are in Pro leagues. Big difference.

tmlms13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:28 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Clever.

I thought he was stupid bigot, but he is actually a pretty smart entertainer.
He's certainly not a stupid bigot. The guy has made a living, a very good one, at being a self-aggrandizing ass saying pretty much the same thing for 2 decades.

I assume he is laughing at this thread.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:30 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
He may be a lot of things but nothing in his behavior has ever suggested to me that he is a racist.
You're right. It's xenophobia, which is clearly better and morally superior. You don't discriminate against people by their skin colors, but rather the nations they were born and raised in.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:35 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
You're right. It's xenophobia, which is clearly better and morally superior. You don't discriminate against people by their skin colors, but rather the nations they were born and raised in.
I just applied for welfare in Sweden, they said no because I am Canadian. Xenophobia!!!! I am a person too.

I am not a Cherry fan, but he is quite clearly pro-Canadian. He doesn't hate people because of where they are from, he simply wants a Canadian JUNIOR Hockey league to be here to develop Canadian players. Or as he said, change the name.

This thread is so fun of dumb I am actually defending Don Cherry.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:55 PM
tmlms13

vCash: 50

tmlms13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Kamus

I love don because he is one of the last people in the world who speak there minds. Let's be honest hockey players have the personalities, or atleast interviewing skills, of a moldy rocky. Its is quite refreshing to hear somebody speak something intersting, even if it is contoversial.

Secondly, there is a reason other countries have caught up to canada. The main reason is that a lot of those countries rebuilt their programs basing them on what hockey canada developed (ie. The usa after the late 90s, now we see results), euro countries highering canadian coaches to rebuild their programs(ie swiss with ralph krueger). Even though I don't agree with cherry in regards to the chl being just canadian, I see his point. Stating that other countries realized that canadian development systems have been working, and then take advantage of them. I will admitt not the only reasons these countries are doing well but one of the big reasons.

Kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:10 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I just applied for welfare in Sweden, they said no because I am Canadian. Xenophobia!!!! I am a person too.

I am not a Cherry fan, but he is quite clearly pro-Canadian. He doesn't hate people because of where they are from, he simply wants a Canadian JUNIOR Hockey league to be here to develop Canadian players. Or as he said, change the name.

This thread is so fun of dumb I am actually defending Don Cherry.
I agree with don on this. I love Canada and hate to develop other teams goaltenders. Let the other countries develop their own talent not at the expense of my fellow Canadians.

I know plenty of hockey parents that pay thousands of dollars per year on hockey training for their kids they don't expect to pay for training foreigners. Let USA train its own goalies and let the Russians train their own yakupov this way he can call Canadians dirty.

And if you don't agree that's to bad. I have the right to my opinion and believe me I'm not alone. Something will be done but only after the situation becomes more degraded.

MyNameIsNobody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Dynamo81

The Russian team that on the 2011 WJC had one CHL player and he was the back up goal tender.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Tom Servo
Space Truckin'

vCash: 280

You reactionary xenophobes are missing a very important thing and is that your solution actually hurts Canadian hockey development because bringing in elite players from abroad raises the level of play in Canadian junior leagues thus creating better Canadian players it's a 2 way street everybody benefits.

Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:39 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

You reactionary xenophobes are missing a very important thing and is that your solution actually hurts Canadian hockey development because bringing in elite players from abroad raises the level of play in Canadian junior leagues thus creating better Canadian players it's a 2 way street everybody benefits.
An honest question: do you think the trade off is exactly equal? Or does Canada benefit from having TWO (at the most) European players on a junior team? Should we be sending part of the gate revenue to foreign hockey federations?

And for christs sake, enough with the xenophobe garbage. Was it a google word of the say?

Old
01-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Tom Servo
Space Truckin'

vCash: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
An honest question: do you think the trade off is exactly equal? Or does Canada benefit from having TWO (at the most) European players on a junior team? Should we be sending part of the gate revenue to foreign hockey federations?

And for christs sake, enough with the xenophobe garbage. Was it a google word of the say?
The CHL is a business it's number one goal is to make money for the team owners, it is in all intents and purposes a professional league. If you want a system that is for Canadians only then the way to do it is develop a series of high school programs across Canada like they have in the USA.

Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:17 AM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
I agree with don on this. I love Canada and hate to develop other teams goaltenders. Let the other countries develop their own talent not at the expense of my fellow Canadians.

I know plenty of hockey parents that pay thousands of dollars per year on hockey training for their kids they don't expect to pay for training foreigners. Let USA train its own goalies and let the Russians train their own yakupov this way he can call Canadians dirty.

And if you don't agree that's to bad. I have the right to my opinion and believe me I'm not alone. Something will be done but only after the situation becomes more degraded.
Why do you mention Americans? SAGINAW SPIRIT, LEWISTON MAINEIACS, TRI-CITY AMERICANS, EVERETT SILVERTIPS, ERIE OTTERS, SPOKANE CHIEFS, PORTLAND WINTERHAWKS, PLYMOUTH WHALERS....what about these teams? What about the teams IN THE UNITED STATES? Are Americans allowed to play for those teams?

Sorry, but I just can't consider this league exclusive to Canada when there are American teams. You want to consider Europeans differently...fine. They do the same in their leagues. But to say Americans shouldn't be able to play in the CHL is stupid and insane.

Parents can pay thousands of dollars in another league. There are plenty of leagues and places to play hockey if your kid isn't good enough. Playing on a CHL team is a privilege...not a right. If you aren't good enough than maybe you could make it on a D2 NCAA team and they'll accept you there. Just because you pay money doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. The CHL isn't a kiddie league...you can't pay for the right to play on the team. If the owners and the league officials and everyone besides a small amount of Don Cherry followers want the leagues to continue to be North American instead of Canadian...then tough luck for you. It isn't going to change IMO. Plus since Canadian goaltenders are sucking right now...I'd expect them to try and bring in more talent from other countries.

If you want an exclusive Canadian hockey players only league then make one. Call it the CHL2...Cherry Hockey League and only allow Canadians. The WHL, QMJHL, and OHL is not that. It won't be that. And it is much better league because it isn't like how you want it.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:19 AM
Dangles78

I'll GLADLY trade Bill O' Reilly for Don Cherry

Please....prettyyyyy please!!!!

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:47 AM
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OnTheRoad10AtHOme View Post
It still is. You should have heard him talking about Kovalchuk during the finals when he'd been playing with a herniated disk for 3 weeks. That said, I enjoy Don Cherry's rants and occasionally he even says something that he's right about.
He actually likes Kovalchuk but okay.

Tie Domi Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:48 AM
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
I'll GLADLY trade Bill O' Reilly for Don Cherry

Please....prettyyyyy please!!!!
Bill O' Reilly actually says racist things...

Tie Domi Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:51 AM
Crede777
Deputized

One could make the same argument with regards to US state colleges and Canadian students. (Look at where many Canadians go to college, but their parents don't pay US taxes!)

The point is, it's a stupid argument to make. The Canadian WJC team's problems didn't come from the quality of players that Canada is producing. It came from other things like goaltending and coaching.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote