HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Schultz

Old
12-27-2012, 12:33 AM
HavlatMach9

vCash: 500
Schultz is the first player I've seen who is clearly in the wrong league. This is even beyond the high scoring you do in video games.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:36 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I hope you aren't implying that that's Schultz's fault.

As the above poster said, the Barons are a one line + one D team.

The Paajarvi-Lander-Hartikainen line has been decent, but without results for the most part. The rest of the forwards haven't shown up at all.

As for defense, it might as well be Schultz and five pylons on the line-up card.
No wasn't implying that at all but it's part of the overall hype in that people tend to focus on the bright shiny object in the room (stats) and not the big picture.

Like I said in my last post the difference between winning and losing 5 games could come down to just 5 untimely goals and it might change for the rest of the year as well.

But the reality is that,if one were to read some, actually quite a few, of the hype of the posts on here, it would be easy to conclude, or at least expect, that the Barons were dominating the AHL when the reality is that its more than stats and hype that wins games.

Terms like elite, all star (which have been thrown around too lossely as to losing their meaning in NHL terms) and translating shooting % without any reality of what happens in the NHL with other "star or elite " players creates an uneven analysis and unrealistic expectations as well.

Let me put it another way if Schultz goes 1-4-5 in his next 10 games does everyone expect different NHL results? I sure don't as the skill set and the scouting has been done but we have to stop and do a reality check sometimes with small samples and yes 28 games is still a small sample over a whole season.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Generally all star players are those who make an appearance at the all star games. The only time 1st/2nd all star is brought up is in a list of accomplishments, but generally it's appearances.
Then you hang in different hockey circles than I do.

In scouting circles when someone refers to a player having all star capability they do not mean that they will play in future all star games.

It's kind of like the difference between being a top 6 player and being a legit top line player, people are talking about different things there.

It's material anyways the guy that posted it clarified it and we should move on from it.

I would suggest though that if you want to make a point about using the word All star then you should specify because it will create confusion otherwise.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:23 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
No wasn't implying that at all but it's part of the overall hype in that people tend to focus on the bright shiny object in the room (stats) and not the big picture.

Like I said in my last post the difference between winning and losing 5 games could come down to just 5 untimely goals and it might change for the rest of the year as well.

But the reality is that,if one were to read some, actually quite a few, of the hype of the posts on here, it would be easy to conclude, or at least expect, that the Barons were dominating the AHL when the reality is that its more than stats and hype that wins games.

Terms like elite, all star (which have been thrown around too lossely as to losing their meaning in NHL terms) and translating shooting % without any reality of what happens in the NHL with other "star or elite " players creates an uneven analysis and unrealistic expectations as well.

Let me put it another way if Schultz goes 1-4-5 in his next 10 games does everyone expect different NHL results? I sure don't as the skill set and the scouting has been done but we have to stop and do a reality check sometimes with small samples and yes 28 games is still a small sample over a whole season.
In what way are 15-20 guys who probably have a combined 5% chance of seeing a single NHL game "the big picture"?

RNH, Eberle, Hall and Schultz are the big picture. Not Alex Plante, Josh Green, etc.

One group is winning games for OKC. The other is doing the opposite.

Last edited by dnicks17: 12-27-2012 at 02:31 AM.
dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 06:40 AM
judge301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Well it has been stated that Schultz has elite offensive NHL Dman skills and can sustain 10-12% shooting % both of which are overstating it by a mile right now.

Someone eluded to Eberle's 27% shooting % high teens is sustainable but more than 35 goals will need work and growth, something which we won't see until there is an NHL season.

We already saw that Jordan can rip up the AHL at the end of the 10 season. Where his ceiling is in the NHL is still up in the air but I wouldn't count on too much improvement and a 40 goal guy is pretty darn good.
God, I love some fans... Sorry, what team is it you cheer for and how many championships have you won? You're giving out free info on what it takes to win??? Pardon me while I pull one stanley cu ring out of each nostril, One out of each ear and still have one left to shove up your.... But I digress....

judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by judge301 View Post
God, I love some fans... Sorry, what team is it you cheer for and how many championships have you won? You're giving out free info on what it takes to win??? Pardon me while I pull one stanley cu ring out of each nostril, One out of each ear and still have one left to shove up your.... But I digress....
You have Stanley Cup rings? What part did you play in winning those cups?

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Its a simple straightforward question. Can you answer it for me or are you going to avoid it again?
Everything has been said already and I'm not going to waste my time on ****** subjective questions like that.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:45 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Wait, how does cheering for a cup winning team make your opinion any more valid than anyone elses? Oh yea, it doesn't.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
You are assuming that my comments are somehow tainted by my living in Vancouver?

I'm a fan of the game more so than the Canucks.

Of course you are just another guy here for serious discussion right?

Like the other dude said it was you winning those cups but that team that sucked the last couple of years right?

Old
12-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Let the Pissing Games begin.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Really? That's an embarrassing statement if you were serious.

If Scotty Bowman came out and said he's rooting for the Columbus Blue Jackets, would that mean he doesn't know anything about hockey? Think about that for 2 seconds, then read your post again.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

oiler fans love re-living the glory years when their team wasn't a joke like 25 years ago haha... they probably all still drive trans ams!!haha........ anyways, this is a Schultz thread... He is unreal and such an unbelievable player and is definately proving it to everyone. I really cannot wait to see how he does in the NHL. Should be exciting times for Oiler fans having this guy. He is already once again proving it tonight

Skinnyjimmy08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
oiler fans love re-living the glory years when their team wasn't a joke like 25 years ago haha... they probably all still drive trans ams!!haha........ anyways, this is a Schultz thread... He is unreal and such an unbelievable player and is definately proving it to everyone. I really cannot wait to see how he does in the NHL. Should be exciting times for Oiler fans having this guy. He is already once again proving it tonight
Pretty sure any fanbase would be proud of a history like the Oilers have... We've had good teams since then, just because the last 6 years have been horrible and we aren't winning cups doesn't mean the team or the fans are a joke.

Besides, we're all fans. We're not the ones out there winning or losing games, we're just watching and cheering. Let's not act like we're the ones who fail or succeed, that's such a silly way to behave.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Oh no I agree that Oiler fans have history to be proud of... I have a couple good friends that are die hard Oiler fans and they say the same thing... refer to their cups they won a couple decades ago haha... Im not trash talking it at all, i just get a kick out of how they all refer back to that when trying to stick up for their team. Anyways, Schultz is a stud and I think once you throw in the guys that he isnt even playing with yet (yakupov, gagner, hemsky, and also possibly smyth????) that he will excell even more.

Skinnyjimmy08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:08 PM
MikeModano9

Schultz with 2 more Assists tonight in a 5-4 win. 42pts in 29gp

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:24 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeModano9 View Post
Schultz with 2 more Assists tonight in a 5-4 win. 42pts in 29gp
Ho hum, still tied for the league lead in scoring almost 30 games through the season.

12-28-2012, 03:49 PM
hockeywhiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Didn't see a recent thread on Justin Schultz, just thought I'd say a few things.

Currently playing in his 3rd game with the Oilers' AHL affiliate, the OKC Barons. He has 4 points in 3 games (with a period to go in the 3rd games)

I honestly thought he would not live up to his hype, but boy was I wrong. Yeah, its only been 3 games, but this guy skates like the wind, has offensive hockey IQ through the roof, and is surprisingly good defensively.

I didn't expect much from him after he signed with the Oilers, but I'm pretty stoked now!
I knew he would be a great d man after seeing him in BCHL.
Happy for him.

hockeywhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

1G 1A tonight. When was the last time a defenceman owned the AHL like Schultz has? Over PPG? I know MAG got 60 in 63, but the guy is a dud. One of the few hockey players that actually made me cringe when I saw him the on ice.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:38 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Everything has been said already and I'm not going to waste my time on ****** subjective questions like that.
I guess that's a no then.

Predictably predictable.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Rough night for this guy. -4 after 2 periods against Grand Rapids.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Rough night for this guy. -4 after 2 periods against Grand Rapids.
Yeah Schultz had a brutal 2nd period. He looked better in the 3rd at least, and scored his 18th goal on the PP.

Karsa Orlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
You have Stanley Cup rings? What part did you play in winning those cups?
E-bay is a wonderful place I hear

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:53 PM
SDig14

Bad effort tonight, scored still but one of his worst games this year.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Anchor Town

looked horrible tonight

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Philly85
Moody'

He was horrible tonight, the whole team was. Literally no one, except for maybe Hall, gave a **** about the game. That and they played horribly, just generally speaking. Schultz tonight, looked like he hit the rookie wall IMO. Was such a bad game from him and everyone.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote