*OFFICIAL* Sudbury Wolves 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Luvtowatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section19 View Post
I believe he's mocking all the trade rumours that have been thrown around. Palazzese was rumoured over a month ago to be coming over in a trade "next week".

Frankly, I wouldn't want Palazzese, I'd rather see them start Dupuis more often and play Vienneau less. I honestly don't think Palazzese is much of an upgrade to be giving up anything useful but then again, the Wolves did trade a 2nd and a 4th for a 3rd for Burgess so it's obvious they'll give up a king's ransom for Palazzese. Don't forget, Jacob Riley had stellar numbers when the Wolves traded for him, I think acquiring Palazzese would be the same thing.
Are you for real? How can you compare Riley and Palazzese? They were never in the same league, not as kids and not now. Palazzese has the best numbers around for the last 2 years and Riley was a 17 yr old kid with limited OHL experience.

Last edited by DaveG: 12-28-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: unnecessary
Old
12-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Section19

Point is, Palazzese's numbers are skewed by the fact he's been on a top team the last two years. Riley's numbers were skewed as well by playing in Bramption. If Vienneau was in Kitchener, his numbers would probably be much lower.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Point is, Palazzese's numbers are skewed by the fact he's been on a top team the last two years. Riley's numbers were skewed as well by playing in Bramption. If Vienneau was in Kitchener, his numbers would probably be much lower.
I have to disagree. I don't know Riley from a hole in the ground, but as a former junior goalie and somebody who sees a lot of Palazzese, he is the real deal. He is leading the league in stats right now (although he has a smaller sample of games to select from) and he is doing it with a totally depleted Kitchener team in front of him. And keep in mind Kitchener is in a powerhouse division having to play some real heavy weights and Franky is holding his own.
Again, I cannot comment as to whether or not he would be 'worth' the upgrade over Riley, but I can certainly attest to the fact he is an outstanding goaltender (and this goes back to last year as well, when he had to fill in for Gibson during his surgery and injuries).

Old
12-28-2012, 05:29 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
I have to disagree. I don't know Riley from a hole in the ground, but as a former junior goalie and somebody who sees a lot of Palazzese, he is the real deal. He is leading the league in stats right now (although he has a smaller sample of games to select from) and he is doing it with a totally depleted Kitchener team in front of him. And keep in mind Kitchener is in a powerhouse division having to play some real heavy weights and Franky is holding his own.
Again, I cannot comment as to whether or not he would be 'worth' the upgrade over Riley, but I can certainly attest to the fact he is an outstanding goaltender (and this goes back to last year as well, when he had to fill in for Gibson during his surgery and injuries).
Palazzese has been putting up great numbers the last 2 years in the tough West conference. He would definitely be an upgrade for Sudbury next year, but at what price?

I believe goalies can be secured through the Import Draft, and if BS trades the fab 5 for prospects and draft picks, then using some of those assets can secure a top end import slot, and a top end import goalie.

BTW, I saw BS at the Marlie tourny and it seemed clear that he was scouting dmen. First with the Ottawa Senators, and then with the Oakville Rangers. If Sudbury ends up with 5th or 6th pick, they can have a serious shot at Spencer, especially if Day and Werenski come to the OHL. Spencer is a Franchise player, who is big, great skater and puck handler. BS would hit a grand slam if he could pick up Spencer.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:11 AM
djscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Palazzese has been putting up great numbers the last 2 years in the tough West conference. He would definitely be an upgrade for Sudbury next year, but at what price?

I believe goalies can be secured through the Import Draft, and if BS trades the fab 5 for prospects and draft picks, then using some of those assets can secure a top end import slot, and a top end import goalie.

BTW, I saw BS at the Marlie tourny and it seemed clear that he was scouting dmen. First with the Ottawa Senators, and then with the Oakville Rangers. If Sudbury ends up with 5th or 6th pick, they can have a serious shot at Spencer, especially if Day and Werenski come to the OHL. Spencer is a Franchise player, who is big, great skater and puck handler. BS would hit a grand slam if he could pick up Spencer.
Why are the wolves drafting a European when they have 2 premier 17 year old Europeans in Kubalik and Kahun?

Old
12-29-2012, 01:57 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
Why are the wolves drafting a European when they have 2 premier 17 year old Europeans in Kubalik and Kahun?
You are right. The 2 k's are producing and are definitely main keys to the Wolves next year. If they draft the import goalie, then they can use as either trade bait or maybe trade either Kubalik or Kahun??

Next year's lineup if BS makes trades for Leivo, Corrado, Sefton, Kantor, Dodero

Campagna, Pancel, Baptiste
Kahun, Kubalik, Silk
Harris, Huether, Cull
Desrochers, Vilardi, Burgess, Spicer, Poulin Roy

DeHaan, Cummins
Corbett, Braid (OA)
Prong, Thibodeau (OA)

Dupuis, ??

Many draft picks, many prospects from trades
5th or 6th pick in upcoming OHL draft (Spencer from Oakville- I wish)
1 OA spot left to fill

From the above, it is clear that we need to shore up the Defence to contend, and to add a definite #1 goalie.

WISH LIST- Palazzese acquired through trade with one of the fab 5 noted above
-Spencer drafted in OHL draft
- OA dman to shore up defence- maybe Corrado comes back?? if not traded and doesnt make Vancouver lineup or AHL affiliate

Whatever the case, next year looks very promissing for the Wolves as noted above, and if London gets the Mem Cup, then all they have to do is win the East.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:19 PM
djscooter

Quote:
You are right. The 2 k's are producing and are definitely main keys to the Wolves next year. If they draft the import goalie, then they can use as either trade bait or maybe trade either Kubalik or Kahun??

Next year's lineup if BS makes trades for Leivo, Corrado, Sefton, Kantor, Dodero

Kahun, Kubalik, Silk
Harris, Huether, Cull

DeHaan, Cummins
Corbett, Braid (OA)
Prong, Thibodeau (OA)

Dupuis, ??

1 OA spot left to fill

From the above, it is clear that we need to shore up the Defence to contend, and to add a definite #1 goalie.

- OA dman to shore up defence- maybe Corrado comes back?? if not traded and doesnt make Vancouver lineup or AHL affiliate

Whatever the case, next year looks very promissing for the Wolves as noted above, and if London gets the Mem Cup, then all they have to do is win the East.
I don't see how next year looks promising at all. That defensive core might be among the worst in OHL history. Yes I know, there could be additions. But out of those guys Corbett is the only guarentee to be able to play top 4 minutes next year. De Haan could possibly, Cummins is still a bit of a long shot. Prong, Braid and Thibodeau are not the kind of guys you want as your 19/20 year old vets on D

Old
12-29-2012, 04:53 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
I don't see how next year looks promising at all. That defensive core might be among the worst in OHL history. Yes I know, there could be additions. But out of those guys Corbett is the only guarentee to be able to play top 4 minutes next year. De Haan could possibly, Cummins is still a bit of a long shot. Prong, Braid and Thibodeau are not the kind of guys you want as your 19/20 year old vets on D
Given that Barrie, Belleville, Oshawa and Niagara will be losing their older stars, Sudbury's present day offensive stars, exception Leivo, will all be back.

If BS trades the 5 as I have indicated, than he can secure 94's and 95's to shore up the defence as indicated.

I think they have much more of a chance next year with the recommendations I provided than this year, if they decide to buy??

I dont think you believe that they should be buyers?

Old
12-29-2012, 06:45 PM
djscooter

Quote:
Given that Barrie, Belleville, Oshawa and Niagara will be losing their older stars, Sudbury's present day offensive stars, exception Leivo, will all be back.

If BS trades the 5 as I have indicated, than he can secure 94's and 95's to shore up the defence as indicated.

I think they have much more of a chance next year with the recommendations I provided than this year, if they decide to buy??

I dont think you believe that they should be buyers?
No, but if you really think they're only one year away from competing you have other issues. Realistically they can buy, but they're not going to win anything.

For next year
OAs: Below Average(Assuming Braid, Thibodeau, Palazzese per your trades)
94s: Above Average(Pancel, Cull, Campagna, Silk, Corbett)
95s: Average(Harris, Scpier, kahun, Kubalik, Desrochers De haan)
96s: Among the league worst(Cummins, Burgess, Peters, Vilardi(who knows))
97s: Based on our drafting this past year, i'm not holding my breath.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:

Kahun, Kubalik, Silk
Harris, Huether, Cull

DeHaan, Cummins
Corbett, Braid (OA)
Prong, Thibodeau (OA)

Dupuis, ??

1 OA spot left to fill

''

1. I just don't see kids coming back as 3rd/5th line players on tis teeam.
2. I believe that trades will be made for veteran playwrs.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:35 PM
chewerjones

The returning players next year will formulate 3 above avg forward lines as noted (2 offensive and 1 shut down), plus 3 competitive defencemen. Thats more than most of the Eastern teams will have.

PLUS, if you consider the draft and players,draft picks, prospects we can get from trading the fab 5, then we can become instant contenders.

Whether it is trading for 94' s and 95's or acquiring impactful 96's, it will only help the team going forward.

In reality, all we have to do is get 1 role player for each traded player-Leivo, Corrado, Sefton, Kantor, and Dodero. That isnt asking much. If you can add 3-5 role players/ key players (defence and offence), then the Wolves will be top contenders in the East.

If the Wolves cant make it happen, then no other team in the East can (assuming BS doesnt make bad trades).

Owen Sound went from out of the playoffs to winning the OHL Championship the next year. Some key draft picks, player acquisitions, and voila. They also had 3 number 1 goalies, and instead of trading them, they decided to keep them all, and were rewarded by the results.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Section19

Great job Wolves, call up a prospect from a 10 hour drive (or 4 hour flight) away and not dress him at all this weekend.

Honestly, why would any prospect want to report when Burgess dresses instead of more talented/deserving players.

Old
12-31-2012, 07:34 AM
Lanny

Quote:
Great job Wolves, call up a prospect from a 10 hour drive (or 4 hour flight) away and not dress him at all this weekend.

Honestly, why would any prospect want to report when Burgess dresses instead of more talented/deserving players.
Would they not want to introduce him to the OHL away from Sudbury. They are in Barrie today, so maybe Spicer plays there. This is how the Wolves have done it in the past. I agree with you, that it would be dumb if they did call him up from TB and not play him.

Do we know for sure that he was called up?

Old
12-31-2012, 08:43 AM
Section19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
Would they not want to introduce him to the OHL away from Sudbury. They are in Barrie today, so maybe Spicer plays there. This is how the Wolves have done it in the past. I agree with you, that it would be dumb if they did call him up from TB and not play him.

Do we know for sure that he was called up?
They sent out an email newsletter to fans and posted on their website that he was in town and was expected to play Sunday.

Heard from someone that he had "flu"-like symptoms yet he still took warmups.

Old
12-31-2012, 07:26 PM
djscooter

Quote:
They sent out an email newsletter to fans and posted on their website that he was in town and was expected to play Sunday.

Heard from someone that he had "flu"-like symptoms yet he still took warmups.
As per the wolves website he has now gone home with the flu and will not be back.

Amazing that Connor Burgess continues to get as much ice time as he does. Wonder how much longer that this gongshow will continue. Between Dylan Callaghn's callup, and Colten Spicer's one has to wonder what the point of calling them up is if you are just going to dress a scrub player over them.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:56 PM
chewerjones

CB will always be a part of the team and will get his minimal shifts, as per reasons known to all of us.

The kid is a great kid and for him to take this pressure, and to accept only playing 3-4 shifts every other game, is noble of him. The whole OHL world criticizes the kid and his dad, and he is able to handle it. We all know that he would be better off playing in Junior A/B and playing key minutes and developing. Good going Connor.

It would be nice to see some call ups but it is hard to mess with a winning system. I agree that Sudbury should rotate one call up for each game so not to mess up the chemistry, but to also evaluate the player.

Campagna, 14 game point streak, 26 points during that streak, and 2nd longest streak this year in the OHL. Very well done. He has helped his linemates and team, and I guess thats what you get when he gets first line minutes in key situations.

GO WOLVES GO.

Old
01-01-2013, 05:52 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Thanks for the update Mr. Burgess.
You're welcome.

Next time you are at the arena, come by my private suite and we can talk.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:07 PM
djscooter

Quote:
CB will always be a part of the team and will get his minimal shifts, as per reasons known to all of us.

The kid is a great kid and for him to take this pressure, and to accept only playing 3-4 shifts every other game, is noble of him. The whole OHL world criticizes the kid and his dad, and he is able to handle it. We all know that he would be better off playing in Junior A/B and playing key minutes and developing. Good going Connor.

It would be nice to see some call ups but it is hard to mess with a winning system. I agree that Sudbury should rotate one call up for each game so not to mess up the chemistry, but to also evaluate the player.

GO WOLVES GO.
Please give me some of what your smoking. I know we're in Sudbury but I didn't think you could get bath salts up here.

But seriously 3-4 shifts every other game? He's had near a dozen shifts for the past few games, and when was the last time he actually sat out a game? The guy is a terrible hockey player. He may be a nice kid, which is great since Hockey is not here career. But merely a tool for his dad to be even more pompous.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:16 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Please give me some of what your smoking. I know we're in Sudbury but I didn't think you could get bath salts up here.

But seriously 3-4 shifts every other game? He's had near a dozen shifts for the past few games, and when was the last time he actually sat out a game? The guy is a terrible hockey player. He may be a nice kid, which is great since Hockey is not here career. But merely a tool for his dad to be even more pompous.
Your miserableness and nastyness isnt going to change things, so why not just accept the situation and move on. We are talking about a 16 year old kid. They are winning. Their PP is improving and so is the Pk.

Why cant we just move on with this CB issue. Unless you are willing to buy the Wolves, it aint going to change.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:13 AM
H44

Quote:

Campagna, 14 game point streak, 26 points during that streak, and 2nd longest streak this year in the OHL. Very well done. He has helped his linemates and team, and I guess thats what you get when he gets first line minutes in key situations.

GO WOLVES GO.

This is one of the best posts that i have read in the Wolves thread!

Old
01-04-2013, 11:24 PM
TheNorth
Better Call Saul

Poulin-Roy > Burgess

Old
01-05-2013, 12:09 AM
chewerjones

Didnt hear why Silk was out of lineup?

Old
01-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Section19

Quote:
Didnt hear why Silk was out of lineup?
Pulled off the opponent's helmet during a fight Monday night. Just served his one game suspension.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:08 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Pulled off the opponent's helmet during a fight Monday night. Just served his one game suspension.
Thanks.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:09 AM
Section19

Callaghan looked great as a callup tonight. Looks way better than Burgess did. You'd think Burgess was the callup.

Nice to see yet another great from North Bay. I heard fans got a sweet deal for the bus trip. Seriously debating getting season tickets next year in North Bay and I'm not the only one either.

Closed Thread