HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLV: Heard It Through The Grapevine....

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
The Canadian Junior Hockey system is not conducive to getting a quality education. You are playing in a professional hockey league while in "high school" and the draft system does not make it realistic to attend college.
Wat? The CHL education system puts almost any North American high school to shame.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:26 PM
guyincognito

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
The CHL is awesome for guys who know they won't get to the NHL.

the scholarship program is exemplary.
But for the guys who will be drafted and signed, it's not. It's a professional sports league with a full season + playoffs during the school year.

To me, looking from the outside, it's one of the weirdest sports leagues out there considering the age of the players and how you're entered into the league, etc....

The stereotype is well earned by the system. That, and twitter doesn't help but I don't know if twitter helps anyone.

Last edited by guyincognito: 01-04-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old
01-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Europe might not be able to pay NHL salaries for most players, but I"m sure they would be able to find hockey somewhere and I"m sure they would make more money than your normal "day job" that people think they will be reduced to...
This.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:31 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
This.
Getting your salary cut from 550k to 250k is just as bad as going from 100k to 50k for us normal people considering how the majority of these players handle their money.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

This thread isn't about Darwinism. Stay on topic please.

01-04-2013, 11:33 PM
ltrangerfan

I expect a season but..

If the league disbands are current contracts voided?

Can the league hold a draft and negotiate new contracts with each player?

Old
01-04-2013, 11:33 PM
RapidFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Most players are smater than the fans calling them dumb.......George Parros, has a finance degree from Princeton universty....yet will get fans wonderin why he is involved in negeoations......

Kevin Westgarth,he graduated from Harvard
I also love that people here criticize Fehr like they know what they're talking about.... as if they have ANY experience in CBA negotiations vs a very experienced man in Fehr.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 01-04-2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: edit
Old
01-04-2013, 11:34 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

It isn't wrong to think the players are being idiots here. They have very little power here, of course the owners can and will bend them over each and every time there are negotiations. Even after this new CBA, NHL players likely will still have it better than other sports' athletes!

I think each side is being idiotic with their approaches, but to think the owners are being "bad" and "mean" to the players is just silly! Without the NHL, they (the owners) go about their businesses, managing their other billions of dollars in assets. Without the NHL, the better players fight like rats on a sinking ship for positions in decent paying leagues like the KHL, or hope some group with plentiful money step up and form a new league in North America.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:41 PM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Quote:

Wasn't the CHLPA aiming at how bad the scholarships are? How loopholey they really were.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:44 PM
vladmyir111

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidFire View Post
I also love that people here criticize Fehr like they know what they're talking about.... as if they have ANY experience in CBA negotiations vs a very experienced man in Fehr.
Probably similar to people criticizing Bettman as if they have ever grown a major sports league 8 fold in revenue at some point in their careers as union workers.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:47 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
Wasn't the CHLPA aiming at how bad the scholarships are? How loopholey they really were.
Lol..CHLPA... look at how fast that sham evaporated.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Gorgeous George

Quote:

If they were so concerned with scholarships, they would be focusing on their studies.

The dream for CHL players is the NHL, and the teams do an exemplary job developing players and helping them reach their dreams of NHL or pro leagues. That is, if they have the skill and heart. The risk for the reward, I guess.

However, the union movement was starting to sweep across the league early this year. Cannot see the OHL avoiding this forever, considering the demands placed on players at such a young age.

I am not an expert, but from what I understand, there are facets of the scholarship program that require improvement.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:56 PM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Quote:
Lol..CHLPA... look at how fast that sham evaporated.
Very aware how the actual PA was a sham, but the CHL criminally underpays their players in terms of scholarships and such. There were plenty of players coming out saying so.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
Probably similar to people criticizing Bettman as if they have ever grown a major sports league 8 fold in revenue at some point in their careers as union workers.
why are we in this 2nd lockout,in less than 10 years.....too many team losing money.......that is what he created....

So what he grew nhl,fans in nhl cities $20,000 bucks for season tickets......

Matter of fact nhl has highest ticket prices in pro sports....

They can.argue.50/50,but that is not the real issue ,cause like every bubble,it breaks....

Nhl cost,are out of control....there is a breakin point,and I think there close to seeing it...certianly within next cba,you see a collapse,reset,imho

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-05-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old
01-05-2013, 12:05 AM
BK201

Any head way today? Or still stalled?

Old
01-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Brian28

Quote:
why are we in this 2nd lockout,in less than 10 years.....too many team losing money.......that is what he created....

They can.argue.50/50,but that is the real issue ,cause like every bubble,it breaks....

Nhl cost,are out of control....
How many lockouts and strikes has Fehr been involved in either as a principal negotiator or an advirsor? If you can fault Bettman for his lockouts you have to fault Fehr for his involvement as well.

Matter of fact following Bettmans lockout the NHL grew at a rate faster than any other pro league in North America. Baseball was almost destroyed following Fehr.

As to NHL costs...well players take 57% of revenue and a pretty sizeable chunk of the owners revenue goes towards expenses for the players. Makes sesne to cut their share or lower their expenses.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:18 AM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:

They can.argue.50/50,but that is not the real issue ,cause like every bubble,it breaks....

Nhl cost,are out of control....there is a breakin point,and I think there close to seeing it...certianly within next cba,you see a collapse,reset,imho
You're right: the nhl is milking its fans for all they're worth, and some southern expansion cities shouldn't have teams because they can't create the revenue to support a team even at the salary cap floor.

Yet who benefits more from these policies than the players?

The players should be bowing down to Bettman and kissing his ass: in no other marginal sports league in the world are the players being paid anywhere close to nhl salaries.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:19 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
How many lockouts and strikes has Fehr been involved in either as a principal negotiator or an advirsor? If you can fault Bettman for his lockouts you have to fault Fehr for his involvement as well.

Matter of fact following Bettmans lockout the NHL grew at a rate faster than any other pro league in North America. Baseball was almost destroyed following Fehr.

As to NHL costs...well players take 57% of revenue and a pretty sizeable chunk of the owners revenue goes towards expenses for the players. Makes sesne to cut their share or lower their expenses.
Will see...nhl is milking 19,000 fans ,it can get no bigger..you wil never see a 35,000seat nhl rinks in your life time...
...so top ticket in toronto.is $450..
By end of next cba likey $700.....

Montreal,cost around$12 for one glass of beer...in 10yrs,it will be $24 the way is it goin..lol.......

Nhl is currently like Usa housing bubble,no one wanted to face it,they keep jacking prices,being pigs,cause people was payin the prices they asked,and boom ....she came home to roost..

Nhl cant fill 60,000 in rinks...milkin 15,000 to19,000 on avg,there on the way to a crash.

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-05-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old
01-05-2013, 12:26 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Will see...nhl is milking 19,000 fans ,it can get no bigger..you wil never see a 35,000seat nhl rinks in your life time...
...so top ticket in toronto.is $450..
By end of next cba likey $700.....

Montreal,cost around$12 for one glass of beer...in 10yrs,it will be $24 the way is it goin..lol.......

Nhl is currently like Usa housing bubble,no one wanted to face it,they keep jacking prices,being pigs,and boom ....she came home to roost..

Nhl cant fill 60,000 in rinks...milkin 15,000 to19,000 on avg,there on the way to a crash.
I agree that salaries and expenses are getting out of control. However, if they grow the game (which they had been up until a few months ago) and get a favorable TV deal, coupled with increased revenue from marketing, it could sustain itself.

The fans are being milked. But if the fan base grows, it can get spread out. And yea, stadiums have caps, but TVs don't, and TV deals are certainly paying the bills in baseball.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Don't know why, but the tedium of reading through this mess has me thinking of this song...

Now I'm hoping that Gary Bettman closes his press conference cancelling the season with this song.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Gorgeous George

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
You're right: the nhl is milking its fans for all they're worth, and some southern expansion cities shouldn't have teams because they can't create the revenue to support a team even at the salary cap floor.

Yet who benefits more from these policies than the players?
Fringe players definitely have an advantage with the diluted league at 30 teams. However, if the NHL wants to be successful, and grow, they need to properly address revenue sharing.

That way, smaller markets teams can still stay afloat during periods of reduced revenue. If Bettman can maintain solid distribution of teams throughout the USA, the big TV contracts will come.

The players should not be responsible for carrying the lesser teams. If that is the case, let market conditions cut out the fat, and get over with it.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:45 AM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgeous George View Post
Fringe players definitely have an advantage with the diluted league at 30 teams. However, if the NHL wants to be successful, and grow, they need to properly address revenue sharing.

That way, smaller markets teams can still stay afloat during periods of reduced revenue. If Bettman can maintain solid distribution of teams throughout the USA, the big TV contracts will come.

The players should not be responsible for carrying the lesser teams. If that is the case, let market conditions cut out the fat, and get over with it.
The players are not "carrying" the lesser teams by any definition.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:47 AM
Constantine
In hoc signo vinces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Don't know why, but the tedium of reading through this mess has me thinking of this song...

Now I'm hoping that Gary Bettman closes his press conference cancelling the season with this song.
I miss the 80's, but not Wham!

Old
01-05-2013, 12:51 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Wat? The CHL education system puts almost any North American high school to shame.
Notre Dame might be a great place to get a business undergrad, but I'm guessing their linemen don't know anything about anything but football.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:53 AM
NYRSinceBirth

A lot of fans are simply asking for hockey back. You know what I want? For the NHL Network to stop showing that skin tag commercial. Get it done!

Closed Thread