HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 10:17 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Why does everyone use Corey Locke as an example? I his name has been mentioned so much in this thread lol.

Problem with Locke was he was slow AND small.
This.

If Locke had Gaudreau's speed he probably would have been an NHL player. Locke was/is slow as hell though.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:26 PM
domon

This guy reminds me of baby luigi for some reason.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
Gaudreau is not magically going to change his build. Even if he does put on muscle, there is only so much you can do before its too much.

Locke played 4 or 5 seasons with the Bulldogs, whom I cover.

Andrew Luck is already at the top level there is. NCAA season is what, 34 some odd games? Hard to really compare to the rigors of the NHL like the physicality as well as the travel, etc. All I said was "I hardly expect his game to translate well to the NHL" meaning, I don't think you'll see him dominating the competition like he does against junior players. IMO Grigorenko is the steal of the draft at #12.
Last season Gaudreau played 44 games.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
Gaudreau is not magically going to change his build. Even if he does put on muscle, there is only so much you can do before its too much.

Locke played 4 or 5 seasons with the Bulldogs, whom I cover.

Andrew Luck is already at the top level there is. NCAA season is what, 34 some odd games? Hard to really compare to the rigors of the NHL like the physicality as well as the travel, etc. All I said was "I hardly expect his game to translate well to the NHL" meaning, I don't think you'll see him dominating the competition like he does against junior players. IMO Grigorenko is the steal of the draft at #12.
Grigorenko and gaudreau werent drafted the same year.... so....

Old
01-05-2013, 01:07 AM
OMadahey

The guy has been good in the wj. But he would be eaten up in the ahl forgot about the NHL.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:13 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMadahey View Post
The guy has been good in the wj. But he would be eaten up in the ahl forgot about the NHL.
Right now? Sure but so would 95% of the players in the WJC but he is over a ppg in the last 2 years in the NCAA including out scoring former teammate Krieder over their last two years in the NCAA and he light up the nhl playoffs. No one knows what will happen but to write him off solely on his size is very poor choice.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:30 AM
OMadahey

Not only his size. I haven't seen anything special about him. And to be successful in the NHL at that size, their has to be something special.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:35 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I doubt that. Very players can produce at above a point per game pace as college freshman and then find the AHL overwhelming.

Take Nathan Gerbe for example. His freshman year at Boston College he had 18 pts in 39 games. His sophmore year 47 pts in 41 games. He left after his junior year and produced 56 points in 57 games in the AHL.

Gaudreau had 44 points in 44 games as a freshman and 23 points in 14 games this year as a sophmore. The idea that'd he'd get eaten up in the AHL doesn't seem likely.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:37 AM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I doubt that. Very players can produce at above a point per game pace as college freshman and then find the AHL overwhelming.

Take Nathan Gerbe for example. His freshman year at Boston College he had 18 pts in 39 games. His sophmore year 47 pts in 41 games. He left after his junior year and produced 56 points in 57 games in the AHL.

Gaudreau had 44 points in 44 games as a freshman and 23 points in 14 games this year as a sophmore. The idea that'd he'd get eaten up in the AHL doesn't seem likely.
They paly very different styles of games. Well at least from what I've seen from Gaudreau.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roooney View Post
They paly very different styles of games. Well at least from what I've seen from Gaudreau.
That point was that the ability to score at a point per game level in the NCAA generally means a player would not be overwhelmed by the AHL.

Gaudreau is a much more skilled player than Gerbe was and he's bigger.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:07 AM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
That point was that the ability to score at a point per game level in the NCAA generally means a player would not be overwhelmed by the AHL.

Gaudreau is a much more skilled player than Gerbe was and he's bigger.
Playing style still matters in ability to produce on a higher level. There has been tons of guys light up junior or college and not be able to translate to the minor leagues.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:24 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Take it for what it is worth, but Flames assistant general manager John Weisbrod recently said in an interview that he believes John Gaudreau could more than handle himself at the AHL level at this very moment. I have not consistently seen him play at BC so I cant personally vouch for that, but it's high praise nonetheless.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:52 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Not only his size. I haven't seen anything special about him. And to be successful in the NHL at that size, their has to be something special.
Lol, seriously? The toe drag top shelf that he's done three times so far isn't special? His elusiveness isn't special? His ability to find the seam every single time isn't special? Those are all qualities that elite players have. He reminds me a lot of Pat Lafontaine and he was pretty special.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:58 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roooney View Post
Playing style still matters in ability to produce on a higher level. There has been tons of guys light up junior or college and not be able to translate to the minor leagues.
Very few guys put up huge points in the NCAA and then cannot handle the AHL. Gaudreau would be able to play right now in AHL. He wouldn't be dominant, but he wouldn't be eaten alive. A lot of guys who out up big numbers but later fail are usually 19 year olds in the CHL which is a lot different. I can't think of the last point per game underclass man who couldn't hack it at the AHL level.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:59 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Take it for what it is worth, but Flames assistant general manager John Weisbrod recently said in an interview that he believes John Gaudreau could more than handle himself at the AHL level at this very moment. I have not consistently seen him play at BC so I cant personally vouch for that, but it's high praise nonetheless.
He is BC's best player and one of the best if not the best players in college hockey.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:17 AM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would suggest purchasing a pair of glasses.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:48 AM
bobg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
I don't really follow prospects as I have no means of doing so. But can someone tell me about this kid?

Jesus, he's small.

All I know is what I've seen on his HDb profile. 60 games played, 36 goals, 72 points, lead the team. 17 years old. 5 foot, 6 inches. Supposedly 150 lbs.
The goals I saw Gaudreau score he was standing all by himself at the side of the net.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg1 View Post
The goals I saw Gaudreau score he was standing all by himself at the side of the net.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzH9o...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bQRx...e_gdata_player

you obviously dont watch much hockey.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:56 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Either you haven't ever watched BC play or you just choose not to notice him, he just lead this tournament in goals and lead the USA in point. His USHL coach said he was the most skilled American in his draft and he looks like he could be one of the best players in the NCAA. The only knock against him is his size he easily has the skill, speed, and determination to make the nhl as any other prospect.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:58 AM
sabresfan129103

He's lightning in a bottle. The kid can fly out there.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
I love this player, so fast and explosive.

I have no idea if he'll have success at NHL level or not but i'll follow his progression closely. He became one of my favorite players during the tournament.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:07 PM
WreckItRask

He's no lock to make it as an NHLer, but just about every little guy had success in the NHL was written off at some point because of his size (St. Louis, Gionta, Andy McDonald, Gerbe, Ennis, Rafalski, Parise, Steve Sullivan, Briere, etc.). Gaudreau certainly has his work cut out for him because of his stature, but he just shined on the world stage against his peers...I'm not certainly ready to write him off yet.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:12 PM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:

Maybe put down the comic books and actually watch a game.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:15 PM
jeremywilhelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
He's lightning in a bottle. The kid can fly out there.
Bad metaphor is bad.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:22 PM
domon

He looked taller than Grimaldi, who is probably still 5'6", if that counts for anything.

Closed Thread