HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLV: Heard It Through The Grapevine....

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 12:59 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseCelt View Post
I miss the 80's, but not Wham!
Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Make It Big came out in '84, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. They've been compared to Duran Duran, but I think Wham! has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:07 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Seems like the only people who care whether we have a season or if the NHL comes back is the media.
Couldn't be more wrong.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:08 AM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 50
If you take unprofitable teams away from the equation, end result will be like..

Less jobs for players.
Fewer games (smaller revenue for profitable teams).
Smaller or only local TV-deals (less money)

While revenues sharing may sound unfair, unprofitable teams do help bigger teams and players to make more money (because of more games).

Moving worst teams to better markets would be good idea, but world economics are unpredictable. You never know what area will be healthy for hockey like next 20 years..

While some fans would like smaller league.. I think not the players nor the owners are interested in it.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:13 AM
Mouse21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
A lot of fans are simply asking for hockey back. You know what I want? For the NHL Network to stop showing that skin tag commercial. Get it done!
lol its on RIGHT NOW

Old
01-05-2013, 01:13 AM
Constantine
In hoc signo vinces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Make It Big came out in '84, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. They've been compared to Duran Duran, but I think Wham! has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Awesome

Old
01-05-2013, 01:24 AM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Dont forget,same mediator ,could not make it work in 2004/ 05 in nhl.......smart money is on,it not working.

When the doi is filed,we make headway...
Hey, wait. Didn't you say that the DOI absolutely, positively was going to be filed on Jan. 2? What happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Anyone have a reference to the supposed changes to HRR definition the PA is claiming the NHL made in its offer?
It wasn't a change to the HRR definition, it was a change in how the penalties for hiding revenue would be determined/assessed.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:31 AM
Kopistar

Today was a good day.

Remember back when they first tried the mediator and the mediator concluded that at the time, they were too far apart???

Well the mediator is basically recommending that talks continue for a third day. Since he's in the front lines of this thing, he would obviously know whether there is enough traction/common ground to continue talks.

Hopefully they can continue talks through mediation and get really close on a deal.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:36 AM
MtlPenFan

As hockey fans, we almost trick ourselves into believing that others care about the League as much as we do. It's almost incomprehensible to us that as much as the sport has grown in recent years, that it's still nowhere near as popular as it should be.

I listen to Dan Patrick at work every day. Keeping in mind that the man works for NBC, he hardly ever talks hockey at the best of times, and someone with all of two fingers left can count on his hand how often he's talked about the lockout since the 15th of September. ESPN radio updates hardly find the lockout worth mentioning, and when the season is indeed in session and there's a night where 11 games are being played, you'd be lucky to get an updated on more than 3 or 4 of the games.

The sport is hardly relevant, a speck on the North American landscape, a landscape where the LA Dodgers, a single entity in MLB, has a TV deal worth almost double what the entire NHL makes in a full season.

Yet a guy like Versteeg can look up at the stands during a home game, see 8,000 people watching, and believes that the Panthers are hiding money under the mattress.

And it's for that reason, that mindset, that I'd like nothing more than for the League to shut down for the year, maybe even two or three, just so the players can perhaps at least somewhat appreciate how good they actually had it.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Notre Dame might be a great place to get a business undergrad, but I'm guessing their linemen don't know anything about anything but football.

Then you would be severely mistaken. Notre Dame may be a bit different, but I know for a fact that's not the case at Stanford. The athletes are under the exact same entrance and educational requirements as the rest of the students. What this says to me is that making assumptions about ones intelligence or preparedness for being a part of these negotiations is ridiculous. There is no way of knowing. Just because someone as a degree doesn't mean they're prepared. But someone without a degree could be extremely knowledgeable about the subject. There is just no way of knowing.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:50 AM
cws
...in the drink

A distraction to the madness:

Old
01-05-2013, 01:55 AM
PrototypeX85

Not sure if this is considered off-topic, but...

These threads aren't safe from WJHC spoilers, are they? I won't be watching the USA vs. Sweden game until NHL Network replays it at 5:00PM Pacific Time, and want to keep up on lockout news. If I'll likely be spoiled, it might do me some good to avoid checking these boards for a day anyway... lol

Old
01-05-2013, 02:02 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrototypeX85 View Post
Not sure if this is considered off-topic, but...

These threads aren't safe from WJHC spoilers, are they? I won't be watching the USA vs. Sweden game until NHL Network replays it at 5:00PM Pacific Time, and want to keep up on lockout news. If I'll likely be spoiled, it might do me some good to avoid checking these boards for a day anyway... lol
Your experience may change during online play. Best to hide out for the day I would think.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:07 AM
PrototypeX85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Your experience may change during online play. Best to hide out for the day I would think.
Yeah, I figured. Like I said, it will probably do me some good to avoid this board for one day. It's been an addiction of mine lately.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:08 AM
Kopistar

Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund
Just got a call from a player overseas who has been very pessimistic, but now feels a season is definite based on progress today. Upbeat

https://twitter.com/Eklund/status/287469959989301250

Old
01-05-2013, 02:13 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund
Just got a call from a player overseas who has been very pessimistic, but now feels a season is definite based on progress today. Upbeat

https://twitter.com/Eklund/status/287469959989301250
I call BS since he's not i nthe meetings and there was no conference calls scheduled today.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:15 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Then you would be severely mistaken. Notre Dame may be a bit different, but I know for a fact that's not the case at Stanford. The athletes are under the exact same entrance and educational requirements as the rest of the students. What this says to me is that making assumptions about ones intelligence or preparedness for being a part of these negotiations is ridiculous. There is no way of knowing. Just because someone as a degree doesn't mean they're prepared. But someone without a degree could be extremely knowledgeable about the subject. There is just no way of knowing.
Ivy league team's aren't the talent-churners that Notre Dame or some other university are.

There was a guy named (probably shouldn't say his name) (had a cup of coffee in the NBA and plays pro basketball in Europe now) who was in a couple of my classes in College. Guy didn't know **** about anything but basketball. He asked what the difference between a magazine and an obituary was in a not-100 level journalism class. And he eventually graduated.

The football players were much worse than the basketball players. But those sports are big money factories at universities like Notre Dame or Florida producing guys who can make a career out of it. Football at Stanford isn't any of those things.

It's pretty simple. The CHL and NCAA are great at churning out pro-level players...at the cost of those guys not learning other stuff most people learn. Your students can't -not- suffer, on aggregate, when they're are pulled out of reading, math and science, or had homework waived to go on a bus-ride to Two Hills or a flight to a bunch of schools in Florida three times a week.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:17 AM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I call BS since he's not i nthe meetings and there was no conference calls scheduled today.
Do you just think that the players dont talk? IF anyone needs to know anything about the lockout make sure to ask CBJBrassard16.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:20 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP27Blues View Post
Do you just think that the players dont talk? IF anyone needs to know anything about the lockout make sure to ask CBJBrassard16.
Yeah I agree

Old
01-05-2013, 02:28 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro Kinesis View Post
Christ, this garbage is tedious.
Don't mention garbage or the players will next complain about how their orange peels and Gatorade bottles are separated in the recycle bins.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:43 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
A lot of fans are simply asking for hockey back. You know what I want? For the NHL Network to stop showing that skin tag commercial. Get it done!
Why woukd you watch nhl network during summer or the lockout all thats on is nhl playoffs from the last 3 years

Old
01-05-2013, 02:44 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

I don't know if I trust Eklund except for when he broke the league offer last week. He's been way too optimistic which is not a bad thing, but early in the lockout he said look for a lot of things to happen that weren't really happening. I think the week after talks blew up in October he was saying some players felt this could be a big week, and nothing even happened.

That optimism meter he's got has been way too high for most of the lockout. He's had it over 0, but it should have been in the could go either way area for a while. I do read his twitter, and his blogs though just cause I like to read everything, and weigh it out.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:46 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Ivy league team's aren't the talent-churners that Notre Dame or some other university are.

There was a guy named (probably shouldn't say his name) (had a cup of coffee in the NBA and plays pro basketball in Europe now) who was in a couple of my classes in College. Guy didn't know **** about anything but basketball. He asked what the difference between a magazine and an obituary was in a not-100 level journalism class. And he eventually graduated.

The football players were much worse than the basketball players. But those sports are big money factories at universities like Notre Dame or Florida producing guys who can make a career out of it. Football at Stanford isn't any of those things.

It's pretty simple. The CHL and NCAA are great at churning out pro-level players...at the cost of those guys not learning other stuff most people learn. Your students can't -not- suffer, on aggregate, when they're are pulled out of reading, math and science, or had homework waived to go on a bus-ride to Two Hills or a flight to a bunch of schools in Florida three times a week.
There are currently 31 Stanford players, 31 Florida players and 29 Notre Dame players in the NFL.

Stanford led PAC-12 football graduation rates at 87%. Florida was 76%. Notre Dame (as usual) led the country at 97%.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:55 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrototypeX85 View Post
Yeah, I figured. Like I said, it will probably do me some good to avoid this board for one day. It's been an addiction of mine lately.
It's still a crapshoot. I was waiting to watch the Canada/US game, and I got to my first class of one of my new courses and before the Prof even introduced himself, he'd spoiled the final score (not that I wanted to watch it anyways then)

Old
01-05-2013, 03:04 AM
IslesNorway

Indeed it seems they had a good day of negotiating and hopefully they will continue making progress in the morning. If both sides were'nt confident they'd get a deal done they wouldn't have continued for as long as they did.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:05 AM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

I wish they could hurry up and grt this finished with. I've been waiting this entire process to post this gif when they announce a deal.

Closed Thread