HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Which defense trio do you build around? #8

View Poll Results: Which trio do you choose for your new team?
Anaheim: Cam Fowler, Hampus Lindholm, Sami Vatanen 11 9.73%
Buffalo: Tyler Myers, Brayden McNabb, Mark Pysyk 9 7.96%
Carolina: Justin Faulk, Ryan Murphy, Bobby Sanguinetti 1 0.88%
Chicago: Nick Leddy, Dylan Olsen, Adam Clendening 0 0%
Colorado: Stefan Elliott, Duncan Siemens, Tyson Barrie 0 0%
Columbus: Ryan Murray, Tim Erixon, David Savard 4 3.54%
Detroit: Brendan Smith, Ryan Sproul, Xavier Ouellet 3 2.65%
Edmonton: Justin Schultz, Oscar Klefbom, Martin Marincin 4 3.54%
Minnesota: Marco Scandella, Matt Dumba, Jonas Brodin 3 2.65%
Montreal: PK Subban, Jarred Tinordi, Nathan Beaulieu 16 14.16%
Nashville: Roman Josi, Ryan Ellis, Jonathan Blum 6 5.31%
NJ: Adam Larsson, John Merrill, Eric Gelinas 3 2.65%
NYI: Travis Hamonic, Calvin de Haan, Griffin Reinhart 12 10.62%
Pittsburgh: Joe Morrow, Simon Despres, Derrick Pouliot 4 3.54%
Tampa Bay: Victor Hedman, Keith Aulie, Slater Koekkoek 3 2.65%
Toronto: Jake Gardiner, Morgan Rielly, Matt Finn 25 22.12%
Winnipeg: Zach Bogosian, Paul Postma, Jacob Trouba 7 6.19%
Other (Please Specify) 2 1.77%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2013, 01:15 AM
  #26
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Funny thing is there's not much difference between Toronto and Detroit and yet you wont see Detroit go for another 6 or 7 rounds...

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:42 AM
  #27
Komarov77
Registered User
 
Komarov77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,100
vCash: 500
Buffalo

Komarov77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:44 AM
  #28
SenateReform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Pk Subban had 36 points last year, Jake Gardiner got 30 in his rookie year. I don't know how you measure greatness, but it might need some adjustments. I don't even need to bring Rielly into the equation.

Anyway, I really like Anaheim but the Islanders could end up being really good
I have nothing against Gardiner and his 30 points are impressive for a rookie but he's the same age as Subban and he wasn't even able to make the Leafs roster each game last season let alone play as their #1 guy in both an offensive and defensive role.

I'm sorry but I don't see him suddenly surpassing Subban. I think you'd have a better argument with Riellys potential but even with top prospects the odds are low that they'll ever develop into a #1 who can play in all situations which is what Subban is.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:11 AM
  #29
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,286
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
I have nothing against Gardiner and his 30 points are impressive for a rookie but he's the same age as Subban and he wasn't even able to make the Leafs roster each game last season let alone play as their #1 guy in both an offensive and defensive role.

I'm sorry but I don't see him suddenly surpassing Subban. I think you'd have a better argument with Riellys potential but even with top prospects the odds are low that they'll ever develop into a #1 who can play in all situations which is what Subban is.
He's actually a year younger....

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:15 AM
  #30
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,286
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Funny thing is there's not much difference between Toronto and Detroit and yet you wont see Detroit go for another 6 or 7 rounds...
As of right now Gardiner is better and more proven and younger than smith, Rielly is a better prospect than sproul while ouellet is better than Finn. Hardly a small difference, but I don't think it'll be long before Detroit is selected. I personally feel they are just behind buffalo, Toronto, Winnipeg and Anaheim (in no order) and in the same range as Montreal and Edmonton.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:23 AM
  #31
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
As of right now Gardiner is better and more proven and younger than smith, Rielly is a better prospect than sproul while ouellet is better than Finn. Hardly a small difference, but I don't think it'll be long before Detroit is selected. I personally feel they are just behind buffalo, Toronto, Winnipeg and Anaheim (in no order) and in the same range as Montreal and Edmonton.
I wouldn't say Gardiner is better. More proven certainly. People can claim Smith had a small NHL sample all day, which is true, but it's not like that sample was any positive difference from the rest of his career. It was small, but it follows the trail of offensive dominance that he's left behind.

For that, I'd put Smith and Gardiner at even, although I'm sure in the next few years we're going to find out who's better.

Also, I think you got the comparisons backwards. I'd compare Ouellet and Reilly and Sproul and Finn. Reilly is better than Ouellet (But then, Ouellet is developing much better than anybody expected he would) but Sproul is better than Finn.

So it could go either way, and I wouldn't have a problem with Toronto, but one should follow the other pretty quickly, and I doubt that's gonna happen in this case.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:28 PM
  #32
bassassin
Registered User
 
bassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: England
Country: England
Posts: 5,391
vCash: 500
Voted NYI

You need to change Tampa top 3.

Hedman
Barberio (AHL dman of the year last year)
Koekoek

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:19 PM
  #33
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Voted NYI

You need to change Tampa top 3.

Hedman
Barberio (AHL dman of the year last year)
Koekoek
Okay next poll will reflect this adjustment.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:47 AM
  #34
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
I have nothing against Gardiner and his 30 points are impressive for a rookie but he's the same age as Subban and he wasn't even able to make the Leafs roster each game last season let alone play as their #1 guy in both an offensive and defensive role.

I'm sorry but I don't see him suddenly surpassing Subban. I think you'd have a better argument with Riellys potential but even with top prospects the odds are low that they'll ever develop into a #1 who can play in all situations which is what Subban is.
Do you expect that from a rookie? Even Karlsson had average rookie numbers his first year. Gardiner wasn't even expected to make the team. Gardiner played over 100 pro games last season. Most with the maple leafs and a long playoff run with the marlies making it to the calder cup finals. He had looked really good in the beginning of this season with the marlies as well. (Could add a Don Cherry, but I'm not that fond of the guy).

I don't necessarily know where Gardiner will end up (I think of him ultimately as a really good second pairing guy), but he has shown the ability to skate around NHL defenceman, make them look like fools at any time and was even named to the NHL all rookie team. He looks to be a really good player and the fact that the better argument is with Rielly's potential, I think it bodes well for the leafs future d core.

BTW Gardiner is one year younger than Subban.


Last edited by Atomos2: 01-05-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:41 AM
  #35
SenateReform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Do you expect that from a rookie? Even Karlsson had average rookie numbers his first year. Gardiner wasn't even expected to make the team. Gardiner played over 100 pro games last season. Most with the maple leafs and a long playoff run with the marlies making it to the calder cup finals. He had looked really good in the beginning of this season with the marlies as well. (Could add a Don Cherry, but I'm not that fond of the guy).

I don't necessarily know where Gardiner will end up (I think of him ultimately as a really good second pairing guy), but he has shown the ability to skate around NHL defenceman, make them look like fools at any time and was even named to the NHL all rookie team. He looks to be a really good player and the fact that the better argument is with Rielly's potential, I think it bodes well for the leafs future d core.

BTW Gardiner is one year younger than Subban.
Thanks for the run down, not really sure why it's necessary since I stated I like Gardiner and that his season was impressive. All I'm saying is he still has a long way to go before he catches up to Subban who's already established himself as a #1 for 2 seasons now.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:34 AM
  #36
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
Thanks for the run down, not really sure why it's necessary since I stated I like Gardiner and that his season was impressive. All I'm saying is he still has a long way to go before he catches up to Subban who's already established himself as a #1 for 2 seasons now.
I wasn't arguing against you. Its not really a question of liking him or not, I just didn't know if you knew that about Gardiner when you made your decision about him and about potential not amounting too much that's all. We're all good man. Just a friendly debate.


Last edited by Atomos2: 01-05-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.