HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLV: Heard It Through The Grapevine....

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 04:13 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Ivy league team's aren't the talent-churners that Notre Dame or some other university are.

There was a guy named (probably shouldn't say his name) (had a cup of coffee in the NBA and plays pro basketball in Europe now) who was in a couple of my classes in College. Guy didn't know **** about anything but basketball. He asked what the difference between a magazine and an obituary was in a not-100 level journalism class. And he eventually graduated.

The football players were much worse than the basketball players. But those sports are big money factories at universities like Notre Dame or Florida producing guys who can make a career out of it. Football at Stanford isn't any of those things.

It's pretty simple. The CHL and NCAA are great at churning out pro-level players...at the cost of those guys not learning other stuff most people learn. Your students can't -not- suffer, on aggregate, when they're are pulled out of reading, math and science, or had homework waived to go on a bus-ride to Two Hills or a flight to a bunch of schools in Florida three times a week.
Don't get me wrong, i hear what you're saying. There are deff guys who are there as a midway point. My overall point was that you shouldn't just paint them all with one brush stroke just because of where they did or didn't go to school.

Old
01-05-2013, 05:05 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
Why woukd you watch nhl network during summer or the lockout all thats on is nhl playoffs from the last 3 years
I still giggle everytime I see how these playoff series from the last 3 years are advertised on there as being "Classic NHL Hockey" or "Vintage" etc.

Old
01-05-2013, 05:32 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
I wish they could hurry up and grt this finished with. I've been waiting this entire process to post this gif when they announce a deal.

Wow I forgot how much I hate this ad.

Old
01-05-2013, 05:41 AM
AngelDuck

I think this gets done either today or tomorrow. I like what happened Friday. I feel like they've finally gotten traction with the mediators, and they're going to put the finishing touches on it today and tomorrow.

Old
01-05-2013, 05:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
LEBRUN: The question is where can both sides still bend? We know the NHL wants a $60 million salary cap for Year 2 of the deal and the NHLPA has come in at $65 million, creating a key impasse on that front. My guess, and Iím really guessing, but I believe the NHL will ultimately bend a little here and move up to $62 million or $62.5 million. Whether or not thatís high enough for the players remains to be seen. We also know the league has offered six-year terms on individual contracts and the players have come in at eight years. My belief is the players are willing to go to seven years. That leaves them just one year apart, so who blinks?

The two sides are resuming mediation Saturday morning in a day that shapes up to be yet another major moment in this long and sordid affair, because the NHLPA by evening will once again be armed with the authorization to file a disclaimer of interest. The playersí vote to reauthorize the executive board and Fehr will wrap up by 6 p.m. ET. Whatís not clear is when exactly Fehr and the players have until to file that nuclear option. All of which puts huge pressure on the NHL to try to get a deal done sooner rather than later.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...cy-get-it-done

Day #112

Today is another big day.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:04 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

So the players have until 6pm to file for DOI?

Old
01-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
So the players have until 6pm to file for DOI?
No, the PA voting ends at 6.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Any developments whilst I was asleep?

Old
01-05-2013, 07:46 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi75 View Post
If you take unprofitable teams away from the equation, end result will be like..

Less jobs for players.
Fewer games (smaller revenue for profitable teams).
Smaller or only local TV-deals (less money)

While revenues sharing may sound unfair, unprofitable teams do help bigger teams and players to make more money (because of more games).

Moving worst teams to better markets would be good idea, but world economics are unpredictable. You never know what area will be healthy for hockey like next 20 years..

While some fans would like smaller league.. I think not the players nor the owners are interested in it.
Less jobs-disagree
fewer games-disagree
smaller or only local tv deals-disagree

Let's say the contract 2 teams, so that is 46 players. Well, a compromise is to expand rosters by 2 players each. 28x2=56, so 10 jobs ADDED.

Fewer games, again a myth. Schedule format can be re-done. Let's say they remove 2 teams and go to the 4-division format with 7 teams each. Can play 7 games against your division teams (42) and 2 against everyone else (42) for 84 games. So you now have more games, and more division games which likely get better ratings.

the local tv deal only is a myth. losing 2 markets is not going to scare off NBC as the ratings the local affiliates draw in those markets are likely small.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:48 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
I still giggle everytime I see how these playoff series from the last 3 years are advertised on there as being "Classic NHL Hockey" or "Vintage" etc.
Haha, true. Watching the top 10 rivalry show right now waiting for the Jr Championship to start. Wish they had more programs like this or would show games from the 70s and 80s.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:53 AM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
True. I think part of the problem is the 'hockey player culture'. If Fehr continues to somehow convince them that this fight is about integrity and protecting the future of the game, the pride of the players will have them fight to the end even thought it is not to their individual benefit anymore.
This is spot on. The question is why, after 20 years of running the NHL, doesn't Bettman understand that he is negotiating against this mindset and deal with the players in these negotiations in a less condescending, paternalistic and pedantic manner. Hockey players are all about respect and no BS -- Bettman seems utterly clueless about the degree to which his manner and posture needlessly antagonizes (and galvanizes) the players, particularly in light of previous negotiations.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:18 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Day #112

Today is another big day.
It's like a 112-game playoff series.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:18 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Any developments whilst I was asleep?
yes, they are another 8 hours or so closer to resolving this

Old
01-05-2013, 08:27 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
yes, they are another 8 hours or so closer to resolving this
I wish

Old
01-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Shoalzie

I'm impressed that even with some of the second hand accounts of bickering...they're still having meetings. I can live with not knowing the results of these meetings but as long as they have more...it's something at least.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Richiebottles
Someone on the Moon

The good sign is that the mediators seem to be making progress and that may be key to getting a deal done. If they can find middle grounds for both NHL and PA they will be able to get a deal done that would otherwise fall through because of the lack of trust between the two parties.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

Kevin Allen:

"NHL players voted overwhelmingly to give the executive board authority, but they chose to let the deadline pass on Wednesday without disclaiming interest...Apparently, some players were disappointed in that decision..."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...riday/1808927/

Old
01-05-2013, 08:46 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I wonder why the players think will happen if they went forward with it. Do they really even want it?

Old
01-05-2013, 08:47 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Kevin Allen:

"NHL players voted overwhelmingly to give the executive board authority, but they chose to let the deadline pass on Wednesday without disclaiming interest...Apparently, some players were disappointed in that decision..."

IMO thats what spurred the breakdown Thursday. A vocal minority stirred the pot because Fehr didnt disclaim.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:50 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Kevin Allen:

But they just wanna playyyyyyyyy

Old
01-05-2013, 08:54 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
A lot of fans are simply asking for hockey back. You know what I want? For the NHL Network to stop showing that skin tag commercial. Get it done!
You know what I want? Wendy's Bacon Mushroom Melt! I haven't had one in six years, and I desire one right now.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:55 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
close to the limit here.

Closed Thread