HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

PGT - Bronze Medal Game - Canada vs Russia

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 07:08 AM
TheDiver*

vCash: 500
I feel bad about the loss, feel good that our guys will get to see daylight again.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:09 AM
MCDAVIDISH

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyjo View Post
The coaches aren't locked out.
Ya no kidding what the hell Kurtz.

Old
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
No 94 forwards. If you look at the 12' draft, the first 7 canadians were all D-men, the first forward was tom wilson, and he will probably be a boone jenner type guy next year. Where are the highly skilled offensive forwards?
It's a cycle thing for sure. Canada had tons of D-men go in last year's draft, but the forwards did not meet demand. Luckily, 95 forwards are in huge supply.

Old
LeafOfBread

Quote:
No 94 forwards. If you look at the 12' draft, the first 7 canadians were all D-men, the first forward was tom wilson, and he will probably be a boone jenner type guy next year. Where are the highly skilled offensive forwards?
See the thing is, most '94s were drafted in 2012, which was a heavily defense-focused draft. Very few top end forwards were available after Yakupov and Gally.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Who thought Binnington would crumble so quickly though? He had a great camp and looked pretty good in relief of Subban. Can't blame Spott for that move, most people agreed with it, if not all.
I ABSOLUTELY didn't agree with it. A goalie coming in relief means absolutely nothing compared to starting a key game. You come in relief and have no pressure 'cause even if you give 10 goals, they'll say that the game was lost before you came in. You DO NOT start a goalie that never started a game in the last day of the tournament. And Subban didn't deserve to miss a game 'cause while he might not have the clutch saves that some thought he should have, he was NEVER as bad as Binnington was today. It was Subban's tournament for the lack of better candidates AND for how good he was this year. You go with the guy who has the mix between good positional play AND great reflexes, and he was THE guy. A terrible decision then and now. We lost yesterday.

Old
romao

Have you guys noticed that in 4 games against top teams (I mean CAN,USA & SWE) Grigorenko had just 1 point and also was quite bad in the faceoff circle (38.4% by my calculation). So the question is: are we finally allowed to say he's really not showing up in the big games?

Old
tmlms13

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Canada has never beaten Russia twice in one tournament. I know they don't always play twice but still found that an odd stat.
for a long time they only played a round robin so it was impossible to play twice

Old
01-05-2013, 07:13 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
I certainly hope Tom Wilson is not on the team next year.

Next year Canada is in a very difficult spot and will have maybe only 1 or 2 returning players. There will be no medal for Canada next year either.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Kurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
Ya no kidding what the hell Kurtz.
Locked out was a poor choice of words, the point was much like the players aren't playing in the NHL, the coaches are also mostly just sitting around and thus should theoretically be available. Unless there's some arcane rule against that, which I can't imagine being the case.

Old
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by romao View Post
Have you guys noticed that in 4 games against top teams (I mean CAN,USA & SWE) Grigorenko had just 1 point and also was quite bad in the faceoff circle (38.4% by my calculation). So the question is: are we finally allowed to say he's really not showing in the big games?
And as a sidenote Yakupov was good against Sweden and really good today.

Old
TheDiver*

Quote:
Not a great draft year for offensive Canadians but a bunch of great D-men.

Mark Jankowski is talented, but he's playing in college. Tanner Pearson also has skills, and Brendan Gaunce has produced at International Tournaments pretty well.

Old
TheNuge

For one I'm disapointed in you all, because when subban got blown out by the americans you all blamed him, but binnington let's in 3 goals on 5 shots and you it's are blaming the coaching staff?

Old
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiver View Post
Not a great draft year for offensive Canadians but a bunch of great D-men.

Mark Jankowski is talented, but he's playing in college. Tanner Pearson also has skills, and Brendan Gaunce has produced at International Tournaments pretty well.
I don't get it?

Old
01-05-2013, 07:15 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

i have to say...it's kinda too bad that it didn't end up as a post-game punch up between the two teams. that would have been the perfect cherry on top of this hellish tournament.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:15 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Wonder if Ekblad and Mcdavid will get a chance next year...

Crosby did play with 1984-born players, and he's a 1987...Next year will be 1994 tournament and Mcdavid is 1997, he's been compared to crosby atleast...

Old
01-05-2013, 07:18 AM
Kurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
You seriously think those are NHL quality defencemen? Hell, will anybody on team Canada be an NHL-quality defenceman 10 months from now?
I think they very well could be NHL-quality a year from now. How often do guys drafted in the top 5 spend more than 1 year in the minors?

Besides, have you seen the state of the NYI defence?

Old
01-05-2013, 07:19 AM
TheNuge

Personally from a pick of NHL coaches to lead the juniors, I would of liked to of seen Paul Maclean from the senators, he has a mysteriousness for me, and he can get alot from his players.

Old
Aceonfire*

Both teams played like there was a gold medal on the line. Congrats to the Russians it was a great game. And besides that, the intensity from Canada was much better. I honestly think they see Russia as more of their Rival than the Americans.

Old
Mr Writer

Quote:
Wonder if Ekblad and Mcdavid will get a chance next year...

Crosby did play with 1984-born players, and he's a 1987...Next year will be 1994 tournament and Mcdavid is 1997, he's been compared to crosby atleast...
Hockey Canada has no other choice next year, but to go with a team that is 95 year of birth and younger. Next year's team will be dominated by 18 year old players and setting up the return year in 2015 for the U20 back in Canada. That's what Hockey Canada should be concentrating on winning. If they bag a medal next year in Sweden that's a bonus, but it doesn't look good.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Saintpatrick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNuge View Post
For one I'm disapointed in you all, because when subban got blown out by the americans you all blamed him, but binnington let's in 3 goals on 5 shots and you it's are blaming the coaching staff?
Subban wasn't so **** hot either he had 2 really good games all tournament.

Old
nik-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
....and you're telling him to calm down?
Yeah, I am. Seriously Congrats on the medal and all, but now people are mocking "the west" for propaganda? Haha what?

Old
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNuge View Post
Personnally, I never blamed Subban. But you do blame the coaching staff 'cause putting Binnington was absolutely unfair and unjustified. You can't blame a goalie to have been put in such a bad situation. It was Subban's job and some moron decided that it wasn't. So I'm totally 100% for Subban and will not blame Binnington either.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Auguste McEscoffier

Sutter needs to return next year, if he wants the job.

Canada needs that western swagger.

Old
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Yeah, I am. Seriously Congrats on the medal and all, but now people are mocking "the west" for propaganda? Haha what?
Yes, the Cold War was not exactly a shining example of peace and understanding. America and her allies were just as guilty of misrepresenting themselves and the other side.

Old
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I don't get it?
The whole playing in college thing is hard to overcome unless you're a Toews type I guess. I will say this I don't think the Canadian team takes the loss in Buffalo if they take Sheahan who really won a job in camp. But I think the college thing did him in that year. Certainly could have used him and his defensive talent when the collapse began then.

Closed Thread