HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

PGT - Bronze Medal Game - Canada vs Russia

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
but canada was a lock for the cold according to all canadiens before the tournament? you are lock to gold every year you guys always say. 4 years without gold and this year not even medal with the strongets team canada since 2005.

next year your team looks horrible and it will be in big ice with international rules and reefres in SWEDEN. all the euro team will have strong teams...good luck canada, you gonna need it.
Funny thing here is that you're doing the exact same thing you're laughing at canadians for doing it. So SOME are mentioning we were lock for gold, loved to see how many people did that if true, but then you're mentioning we'll suck next year.....Great....I'm keeping that post.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:53 AM
nuge2hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
but canada was a lock for the cold according to all canadiens before the tournament? you are lock to gold every year you guys always say. 4 years without gold and this year not even medal with the strongets team canada since 2005.

next year your team looks horrible and it will be in big ice with international rules and reefres in SWEDEN. all the euro team will have strong teams...good luck canada, you gonna need it.
Dude your team is in the final and you still need to ***** about Canada?
Bitter much?

Old
01-05-2013, 06:55 AM
67sfan

I won't lie, I'm happy we lost and was actually somewhat rooting for Russia this game.

Maybe now HC will open their eyes a bit and realize how they are conducting business lately is wrong. The way this team is picked lately is flawed. The Americans used to not have a selection camp at all and just named their team for this tourney. During this time they were a 2nd or 3rd tier program. They realized something was wrong, added a selection camp where you played your way onto the team. What has that accomplished? They are now an elite team consistently at this tourney.

Canada used to have players play their way on, but these days camp seems like more of a formality and to fill 1 or 2 spots on the roster. Where is this getting us? We went from gold, to silver, to bronze, to fourth. Get rid of the politics and the prima Donna attitudes and make it so your spot on this team is earned.

I don't mind losing, in fact I think it's good for the tournament that we lose. What I can't accept is losing because we play like w don't give a **** ala the semi's this year. In the early 2000's we weren't winning but ******* if those kids didn't bring their heart and souls and give 110%. Those were some if the best tourneys to watch and they went home with bronze/silver with their heads held high.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50

Boone

Old
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
Truth of the matter is that Canada did not deserve a medal. I will never harbor a grudge against the kids, even Murphy, for their performances, but I do not want to hear about us missing Murray. Yes, he would've been an important piece, but the ****ing Swedes beat the Russians without Brodin, Lindholm and Klefbom, so enough with that.

Players got outplayed against the US, coach got outcoached end of story, and yes, a huge part of the blame goes to the coach. Once again, Spott made me question his ability behind the bench in OT. Rielly and Murphy are not the best defensive players, everyone knows that, so putting them on at the same time on a 4-on-4 do or die situation is pretty much ASKING for it. Murphy misplayed it, Rielly misplayed it, but why the heck were they on at the same time? Yet another blunder amongst the seemingly laughable laundry line of ******** that Spott has conjured up throughout the tourney. He better go nowhere near the World Juniors ever again, not after screwing up with the best line-up on paper since 2009.
I have no problem with Spott here. 4 vs 4, he put his best skating dman together looking to exploit the russian squad. It didn't work, but made perfect sense imo.

Old
deakka

HAving returning players arent necessary to make it far into the tourney. Sweden doesnt have a lot of returning players and they are in the final. I have no doubt canada will have a strong team again next year,

Old
romao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
The "big" games are not necessarily the ones against the top teams but much more so the important games in the quarterfinals and semifinals. I honestly don't know how anybody who watched any of these games could say Grigorenko didn't show up. Oh and BTW, did you miss his save in OT just before the game winner?
Game against Canada at the group stage in some way was like quarterfinal. Winner will go right to the semifinal and will have additional day to rest. Is it not "big" for you?
I know Grigorenko was active enough today, but at the same time IMO he was rather ineffective.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:57 AM
CR15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk Patch View Post
that canadian D was something special this tournament they refused to take the body on a player when they needed to
Something I found disgusting, the whole team was charmin soft sans a couple forwards. I know yeah its big ice you want an emphasis on skating and skill but cmon wasn't your standard Team Canada physically.

Opposing forwards could do whatever they wanted the only thing to fear was a devestating stick check

Props to the US and Russia on their W's can't wait until the tourney returns to Canada.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:57 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sfan View Post
I won't lie, I'm happy we lost and was actually somewhat rooting for Russia this game.

Maybe now HC will open their eyes a bit and realize how they are conducting business lately is wrong. The way this team is picked lately is flawed. The Americans used to not have a selection camp at all and just named their team for this tourney. During this time they were a 2nd or 3rd tier program. They realized something was wrong, added as election camp where you played your way onto the team. What has that accomplished? They are now an elite team consistently at this tourney.

Canada used to have players play their way on, but these days camp seems like more of a formality and to fill 1 or 2 spots on the roster. Where is this getting us? We went from gold, to silver, to bronze, to fourth. Get rid of the politics and the primary Donna attitudes and make it so your spot on this team is earned.

I don't mind losing, in fact I think it's good for the tournament that we lose. What I can't accept is losing because we play like w don't give a **** ala the semi's this year. I he early 2000's we weren't winning but ******* if those kids didn't bring their heart and souls and give 110%. Those were some if the best tourneys to watch and they went home with bronze/silver with their heads held high.

I think Hockey Canada should make the U18s a priority personally.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:58 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

If you told me the "Dream team" failed to medal at the beginning of this tournament, I'd have told you you'd be crazy. They were supposed to go all the way this year.

However, the United States showed their mettle and tough grit by going all the way to the Championship game, and the Russians and Swedes both proved to be a tough opponent.

The point is this isn't Canada's game anymore. Canada used to soar through this tournament on their way to 5 straight titles. The world's caught up. The last few champions have come from the US, Sweden, and Russia.

Team Canada has to take a good long look at itself and make corrections in order to take that step forward towards another championship title. There is no excuse for a stacked roster like this, in a season with a NHL lockout, failing to medal.

On a final note: Why does Team Canada use a new coach every year? I noticed the other day that Sweden had the same coach for the 3rd year in a row.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post

The point is this isn't Canada's game anymore. Canada used to soar through this tournament on their way to 5 straight titles. The world's caught up. The last few champions have come from the US, Sweden, and Russia..
Well before those 5 straight titles Canada had not won one title for seven straight years.

Going to re watch the match, was out for lunch and did not bother to even check the score until now. Good to see Nichushkin score the winner

Old
01-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post

Boone
Boohoone.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Congratulations Russia, you deserved it

Old
01-05-2013, 07:03 AM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
Well not the first time I've been let down by a team with a leaf on the front of their jersey, and definitely won't be the last.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:05 AM
KRM

One of the better bronze medal games I've seen, congratulations to Russia to the home ice win!

Old
01-05-2013, 07:05 AM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I think Hockey Canada should make the U18s a priority personally.
They can't, 24 of the 60 CHL teams are still in the second round of playoffs when they start. This year alone, MacKinnon, Drouin, Fucale, Domi and Horvat are five of the best '95s in the country, already know they won't be available barring some gigantic upset in the first round of the playoffs. How do you get around that? You're not gonna convince the CHL to shorten their seasons or anything. Canada does prioritize the Hlinka and they dominate, but the US doesn't send their NDTP team for whatever reason.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:06 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I have no problem with Spott here. 4 vs 4, he put his best skating dman together looking to exploit the russian squad. It didn't work, but made perfect sense imo.
We'll agree to disagree on this one; I have a problem with it, particularly since these Russians can skate back no problem. Having one or the other did not bother me.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
They can't, 24 of the 60 CHL teams are still in the second round of playoffs when they start. This year alone, MacKinnon, Drouin, Fucale, Domi and Horvat are five of the best '95s in the country, already know they won't be available barring some gigantic upset in the first round of the playoffs. How do you get around that? You're not gonna convince the CHL to shorten their seasons or anything. Canada does prioritize the Hlinka and they dominate, but the US doesn't send their NDTP team for whatever reason.
They use the Hlinka to get a look at players that aren't in the NDTP.

Old
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Someone please tell me this is going to be on XM Radio.

Old
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
might as well put 4 forwards on the ice since those two can't play defense anyways.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:08 AM
Interactif

I'm not worried about Hockey Canada, sure the gap between us and the rest of the world has closed, but we still produce the more good players in the NHL, the best league in the world than any other nation. The Worlds go in cycles, it didn't go our way this year, the signs were there before the tourney.
Canada will be back, you can take that to the bank.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Mr Writer

Alright everybody be quiet....the gold medal game is about to start!

Go USA!!!! Hope it's as entertaining as the bronze medal game.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:10 AM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
They use the Hlinka to get a look at players that aren't in the NDTP.
Well there you go, Hockey Canada is stuck in how much prioritizing they can do of the Under-18s. They send the best roster they can in the spring but the facts are a boat load of talent isn't available every year. And they have a summer camp and everything for the Hlinka but the rest of the world doesn't always put their best foot forward for that one.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:12 AM
JustinYS

I just hope HC will finally take some steps to improve upon its program after 4 years of no gold. It's obvious Canada cannot steamroll over its opponents like it used to and therefore needs to improve its program to jump back in the race.

What do you guys think needs to be done? More funding from the Can. government? Better selection process? Full-time head coach? Better development programs in the CHL?

Old
01-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Alright everybody be quiet....the gold medal game is about to start!

Go USA!!!! Hope it's as entertaining as the bronze medal game.
Nah, gonna watch biathlon.

Closed Thread