HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

PGT - Bronze Medal Game - Canada vs Russia

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 07:13 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Didn't look like Reilly wanted any part of that freight train going to the net. Made no effort to use his body to stop the Russian from driving across the front of the net. Sort of epitomized the softest of the D. through out the tournament
Wasn't his play. Pay attention next time. That was 120% Murphy. And up until this game Rielly was only on the ice for 1 goal against ALL tournament. But just speaking for the sake of it works too I guess

Old
01-05-2013, 07:16 AM
Drij

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
but canada was a lock for the cold according to all canadiens before the tournament?
I actually said they would lose...

Old
01-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

I don't see why people are giving Rielly a free pass on that final goal and blaming Murphy (Who had a far better game). He's as much to blame, he was so far out of position he couldn't come close to covering for Murphy's mistake.

But I shouldn't be surprised. The whipping boy from a month ago will always be the whipping boy.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:19 AM
JL17

Paging Brent Sutter...

Old
01-05-2013, 07:20 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by romao View Post
Have you guys noticed that in 4 games against top teams (I mean CAN,USA & SWE) Grigorenko had just 1 point and also was quite bad in the faceoff circle (38.4% by my calculation). So the question is: are we finally allowed to say he's really not showing up in the big games?
grigorenko was russia's best player, imo. he is their most creative player and his line tends to control the puck when he is one the ice. i think if there were a list of scoring chances for each russian player, grigorenko would be at the top.

he could have had several points today but subban made saves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
And as a sidenote Yakupov was good against Sweden and really good today.
imo, yakupov was mediocre today. basically just tries to rush through opponents, and shows little creativity or vision. he had 2 easy goals that were created by yarullin and kapustin.

based on the games i saw this WJC, i would have no idea at all that yakupov was 1st overall. RNH looks like a 1st overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
I honestly think Grigorenko was okay in all those games, not stellar by any means, but he was one of the few players who created plays and didn't play 1v5 each time (see:Yakupov).

Meh, disagree. Yakupov played alone from his team all tournament, and easy tip-ins as his 2 goals aren't that great of an accomplishment.
agree

Old
01-05-2013, 07:21 AM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I don't see why people are giving Rielly a free pass on that final goal and blaming Murphy (Who had a far better game). He's as much to blame, he was so far out of position he couldn't come close to covering for Murphy's mistake.

But I shouldn't be surprised. The whipping boy from a month ago will always be the whipping boy.
Reilly is the reason the goal started... he pinched down leaving Murphy in a tough spot then he was made to look like a pylon the Rielly didn't try and take the body.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:22 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:

I think the hate died down after a bit. Murphy screwed up, but Rielly was every bit as culpable. What concerned me with Rielly was that as the tourney went on, he got worse. Murphy definitely outplayed him in the knockout stage, by quite a bit. I'm disappointed in Rielly.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:24 AM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
I think the hate died down after a bit. Murphy screwed up, but Rielly was every bit as culpable. What concerned me with Rielly was that as the tourney went on, he got worse. Murphy definitely outplayed him in the knockout stage, by quite a bit. I'm disappointed in Rielly.
Agreed on all points, Rielly had a good third period today but that was the first he looked good in a while. Then OT happened, both are to blame. Rielly easily could have skated hard back and hit him but he didn't. Murphy could have not got beat clean but he didn't.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Reilly is the reason the goal started... he pinched down leaving Murphy in a tough spot then he was made to look like a pylon the Rielly didn't try and take the body.
I know, which is why I'm not sure why in the aftermath of that goal Murphy was getting all the onus. he played it bad, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Against Germany when Hamilton messed up and Harrington didn't do anything about it, we didn't blame Harrington.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Jacob

let's all get along you guys.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:30 AM
dahlenrules

Ha
Ha

Old
01-05-2013, 07:32 AM
86Habs

Quote:
I know, which is why I'm not sure why in the aftermath of that goal Murphy was getting all the onus. he played it bad, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Against Germany when Hamilton messed up and Harrington didn't do anything about it, we didn't blame Harrington.
The bigger issue is why Spott had our two weakest defensive defencemen on the ice, together, at an ES situation, in OT of the bronze medal game. Both Rielly and Murphy looked very poor on the goal, but a more alert coach would have paired each of them up with a more solid partner (Harrington / Ouellet). Alternatively, it never hurts to shorten the bench in important situations.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:37 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
Also, love how that guy on the Canadian bench tries to slash guys skating by. Equally unclassy.
Worse. Remember words won't hurt but sticks (and stones) break bones.

And I wish people would stop calling out the entire teams. A couple Russian guys acted like idiots in the heat of the moment and a Canadian guy upped the ante. A few little boys need a good talking to about how to behave on an international stage but I'm not going to let that become the focus of the game for me. It was an exciting, sloppy game that could have gone either way, good for Russia.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:38 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post

let's all get along you guys.
Lolll. Presented by : beer.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:43 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
If you told me the "Dream team" failed to medal at the beginning of this tournament, I'd have told you you'd be crazy. They were supposed to go all the way this year.

However, the United States showed their mettle and tough grit by going all the way to the Championship game, and the Russians and Swedes both proved to be a tough opponent.

The point is this isn't Canada's game anymore. Canada used to soar through this tournament on their way to 5 straight titles. The world's caught up. The last few champions have come from the US, Sweden, and Russia.

Team Canada has to take a good long look at itself and make corrections in order to take that step forward towards another championship title. There is no excuse for a stacked roster like this, in a season with a NHL lockout, failing to medal.

On a final note: Why does Team Canada use a new coach every year? I noticed the other day that Sweden had the same coach for the 3rd year in a row.
They met a better prepared team in the US, and lost a sloppy but rather even game to a talented Russian team, these things happen. It's two games and was bound to happen eventually after 14 years of medalling, just kind of surprised it was this year, when they had the "dream team". Then again, Russia had a few pretty good players too who wouldn't have been there had the NHL been in.I realize a lot of Canadians are disappointed, but how about giving credit to the other teams as well?

Old
01-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Mr Writer

I like how Hockey Canada had to shut down its Facebook page, or at least the posting option.. Seems as though they really don't like take the heat or hearing criticism.

And to be fair to Hockey Canada a lot of fans from other countries like to really rub it in when Canada gets smacked in the chops.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Well - that's quite a run. Fourteen straight years with a medal of one type or another - something to be proud of, I suppose. Just not feeling it yet....

Old
01-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
but canada was a lock for the cold according to all canadiens before the tournament?
We are - I'm sneezing right now....

Smartass...

Old
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
The bigger issue is why Spott had our two weakest defensive defencemen on the ice, together, at an ES situation, in OT of the bronze medal game. Both Rielly and Murphy looked very poor on the goal, but a more alert coach would have paired each of them up with a more solid partner (Harrington / Ouellet). Alternatively, it never hurts to shorten the bench in important situations.
If history tells us anything even our top defensemen defensively can mess up in overtime (Pietrangelo). It might have been a good idea to give Murphy a better partner (He played better all game, so it would have been him) but then again if these guys scored right away because of who they are then it would have been good. I don't think Murphy or Rielly are bad defensively, far from it, just not the best available.

Old
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Worse. Remember words won't hurt but sticks (and stones) break bones.

And I wish people would stop calling out the entire teams. A couple Russian guys acted like idiots in the heat of the moment and a Canadian guy upped the ante. A few little boys need a good talking to about how to behave on an international stage but I'm not going to let that become the focus of the game for me. It was an exciting, sloppy game that could have gone either way, good for Russia.
He didn't actually swing his stuck at them. It was a feint. In baseball that would have been ball 1.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:51 AM
SupremefartMachine

Binnington>Subban

hahahahaha, I love the armchair critics here.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:51 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Reilly just got burned on that play. Great job.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:57 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't get the Canadian and Russian kids taunting each other before and after games. That has no place in hockey. Isn't there any strong leaders at these countries that can put a stop to this?
spankings

Old
01-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
Well - that's quite a run. Fourteen straight years with a medal of one type or another - something to be proud of, I suppose. Just not feeling it yet....
It would be if more than 4-5 nations had a legit shot at making the finals.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Laino

I saw Steve Spott at the beach last summer...I was always wondering what that tattoo of his wife wearing nothing but a Kitchener #24 jersey was all about

Closed Thread