HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Cherry: CHL should stop letting Americans and Europeans to play in CHL (merged)

Old
01-05-2013, 03:14 AM
WarriorofTime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
An honest question: do you think the trade off is exactly equal? Or does Canada benefit from having TWO (at the most) European players on a junior team? Should we be sending part of the gate revenue to foreign hockey federations?

And for christs sake, enough with the xenophobe garbage. Was it a google word of the say?
Oh way, your hard-earned dollars are going to better the overall level of hockey competition in the Junior Leagues which will end up raising the play of NHL-bound Canadians.

Oh, that poor Canadian kid who could have been a 4th line grinder in the OHL if Yakupov and other foreigners the are better than him didn't steal his spot. I guess he has to play Junior A instead. Since he isn't making the NHL anyways it's probably better that he retains NCAA eligibility.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:18 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
One could make the same argument with regards to US state colleges and Canadian students. (Look at where many Canadians go to college, but their parents don't pay US taxes!)
Out of state students pay more to attend the state universities of states they don't pay taxes in just fyi. But I guess if you want to talk scholarships for gifted out of stater you could say that.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:20 AM
BobDobolina

They should change the name of Coaches Corner to something more appropriate too.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:24 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
He's got a bit of a point. There's positives and negatives to being the best country in the world for developing hockey players.
Yeah, for one it makes the CHL much more interesting to follow. He is right about Canadian citizens putting money into Hockey Canada and other local programs and not having spots for our own homegrown talent.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:24 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlms13 View Post
Nearly all of the Canadians playing in Europe are in Pro leagues. Big difference.
No, it isnīt as big of a difference as you think. Considering the different system of development in NA and Europe, the pro leagues in Europe ARE a part of the development system with the top juniors who have outgrown the junior leagues playing in the pro leagues. You could for example even argue that HockeyAlsvenskan is as important if not more important as the junior league in Sweden considering how important it has been in developing talent in Sweden. And in most leagues the foreigners including the good Canadian boys usually take away the ice-time precisely from this group of young players.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:26 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
It's not like those very same imports wouldn't know what to do without the CHL. I'm pretty sure Grigorenko would still be an elite prospect.
That's what Cherry and them don't understand. All of the American, Swedish, and Russian kids would be fine if they played in their domestic leagues instead of coming to the CHL. Most come over because they think it will improve their draft status. But the American players in the CHL could easily be in the NCAA without being any worse as players. I don't think Seth Jones few months in the WHL made him the player he is as people knew he was special with the NDTP.

The ones who would be hurt by Cherry's suggestion wouldn't be the countries that actually threaten to occasionally beat Canada in a World Juniors game. For Czech prospects however it would be disastrous as the development is not too good there. Half their team from this tournament plays in the CHL. A lot of times this is the case with players that are Slovaks, Swiss, Germans, etc. I guess Cherry is upset that Canada isn't beating these teams by 15.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:26 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

hard to argue with what he states. Especially with all of the cockiness coming from some other countries. (not talking about sweden and finland here)

Would be interesting to see how great they could develop their own players without the assitance of the CHL.

I tend to agree with him that I'd like to see more Canadians in the CHL vs losing a job to an import.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:38 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
hard to argue with what he states. Especially with all of the cockiness coming from some other countries. (not talking about sweden and finland here)

Would be interesting to see how great they could develop their own players without the assitance of the CHL.

I tend to agree with him that I'd like to see more Canadians in the CHL vs losing a job to an import.
The Russians beat Canada two years ago without a single player with CHL experience in the lineup.

All 5 American goals that eliminated Canada were scored by players that had never played in the CHL.

I think those countries would be ok. But where would those pesky Czechs be without the CHL! How dare they produce any decent players anymore!

Old
01-05-2013, 03:39 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
Haha I just googled Don cherry to see who he was. I can actually remember thinking "Who the hell is this clown?" when I saw him on my NHL streams a couple of times. Seems I was right.
A hugely popular public figure in Canada over the last 30 years or so. Draws huge ratings week after week but yet we are told he shouldn't be taken seriously? I think people who say that are embarrassed that he is so popular in their country.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:42 AM
kp61c

im against our young players playing there. so i guesss im with him in this regard. and itll be better for canadian and american players so youd better listen to him

kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:43 AM
sirMcDuck

Damn this guy is goof!

"Lets see how many of them makes in NHL.. Canada will be number 1" Haha! That's like saying let's see how many swedish-players are born in Sweden.

sirMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:01 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
The Russians beat Canada two years ago without a single player with CHL experience in the lineup.

All 5 American goals that eliminated Canada were scored by players that had never played in the CHL.

I think those countries would be ok. But where would those pesky Czechs be without the CHL! How dare they produce any decent players anymore!
The goaltending which is the most important piece was from the CHL.

Do you think that the Americans would even be remotely where they are without the CHL or the NHL pumping money into the USNDTP

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:04 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Then eliminate all Europeans from coming to NHL, Canadian teams should only have Canadians, and American teams should only have Americans.

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:23 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:

Do you think that the Americans would even be remotely where they are without the CHL or the NHL pumping money into the USNDTP
I think John Gibson's two years with NDTP developed him more than his couple months in Kitchener.

Well considering the NHL is operated in 23 US cities I could see why they would want to develop the game there. I don't think it's a big conspiracy to beat Canada in the World Juniors.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Dr Quincy

H

Quote:
Oh stop it.

Gibson was the best goalie among his similarly aged peers when he put up the best gaa and svp in the U17 championships.... before he ever played in the CHL.

He had the 3rd best svp and 2nd best gaa (and both were better than the Canadian trained Subban) at the U18 championships... before he ever played in the CHL.

The fact is that John Gibson was one of the world's best goalies his age when he was 16, 17, 18 and now 19. He was one of the world's best goalies at his age despite never having played in the CHL. The idea that the CHL developed him is insane. I wouldn't expect differently from Cherry, but if you want to try and argue that Gibson was trained by the CHL go ahead and make a case.

In fact, his worst international performance was last year after he did make the move to the CHL. OMG the CHL ruined him!!!!

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:52 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Oh stop it.

Gibson was the best goalie among his similarly aged peers when he put up the best gaa and svp in the U17 championships.... before he ever played in the CHL.

He had the 3rd best svp and 2nd best gaa (and both were better than the Canadian trained Subban) at the U18 championships... before he ever played in the CHL.

The fact is that John Gibson was one of the world's best goalies his age when he was 16, 17, 18 and now 19. He was one of the world's best goalies at his age despite never having played in the CHL. The idea that the CHL developed him is insane. I wouldn't expect differently from Cherry, but if you want to try and argue that Gibson was trained by the CHL go ahead and make a case.

In fact, his worst international performance was last year after he did make the move to the CHL. OMG the CHL ruined him!!!!
True,

Dr. wouldn`t it be hilarious to have seen a Billy Smith/Ron Hextall of the past try and stomach the teachings of these goalie coaches now?? I could see both raising their goalie sticks and chasing those guru`s out of the arena.

The position has become more about technique, and less about feel or improvisation. Two of the best I`ve watched have been our old friend Timmy and Hasek (as wacky as he is), both hardly poster boys for precision positioning between the pipes.

I don`t believe a head coach can either ruin or make a goalie, but I sure believe a goalie coach can. I`d like to see less not more involvement from them.

I have coached AA in the past, while other teams have almost always had a coach for their goalie, me and my fellow coaches have invited a friend of ours to work on nothing more than handling of the puck, and some flexibility workouts with our respective goalies and the kids were just fine.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:12 AM
LightningStrikes

What has paying taxes in Canada to do with the CHL? Is the CHL funded by the Canadian government?

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:24 AM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
I agree with don on this. I love Canada and hate to develop other teams goaltenders. Let the other countries develop their own talent not at the expense of my fellow Canadians.

I know plenty of hockey parents that pay thousands of dollars per year on hockey training for their kids they don't expect to pay for training foreigners. Let USA train its own goalies and let the Russians train their own yakupov this way he can call Canadians dirty.

And if you don't agree that's to bad. I have the right to my opinion and believe me I'm not alone. Something will be done but only after the situation becomes more degraded.
Fine get all your Canadian players out of the NCAA. And I am talking baseball, hockey, basketball, football and any other sport there are Canadians in OUR colleges. You want to play this game? See how many Canadians make the NFL, NBA or MLB nevermind going to some of our best colleges for an education.

Imagine if some Yank made this comment and not old senile Canadian Don Cherry? You guys would be losing your collective minds on the US.

What happened to Canadians? You think you're entitled to everything hockey these days.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
Fine get all your Canadian players out of the NCAA. And I am talking baseball, hockey, basketball, football and any other sport there are Canadians in OUR colleges. You want to play this game? See how many Canadians make the NFL, NBA or MLB nevermind going to some of our best colleges for an education.

Imagine if some Yank made this comment and not old senile Canadian Don Cherry? You guys would be losing your collective minds on the US.

What happened to Canadians? You think you're entitled to everything hockey these days.
I believe letting the best US and Euro players play in the CHL benefits the Canadian players as much as it does the foreign players.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:33 AM
The Price is Right

CHL should stop letting Americans and Europeans to play in CHL

Considering a lot of players from USA, Russia, Sweden etc... play in the CHL and then end up being better than Canada is horrible. CHL should stop letting all the foreigners come and play here in Canada. It is called the Canadian Hockey League for a reason? It should just be for Canadians. They are developing opponent players which is crazy and then they take our strategies and beat us..

I got nothing against Americans and Europeans. It is just my opinion that Swedes should play in the SEL, Russians in KHL, Finnish in SM-Liga, Americans in NCAA or USHL and Canadians in CHL.

Swedes would get coached and trained by Swedish personnel and Russians and all the countries would get coached and trained by people from their country.

Last edited by The Price is Right: 01-05-2013 at 11:08 AM.
The Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:34 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

I see you've been listening to Don Cherry.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

didn't know that you're posting here, Don.

Comrade Blunderbore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
toewsintangibles

Maybe Canadians ought to go play in the Allsvenskan so they could reach the finals one of these years

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ecemleafs

stop putting ur teams in our country then.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:36 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
So that means Canadians are excommunicated from the American Hockey League, right?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote