HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

PGT - Bronze Medal Game - Canada vs Russia

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 09:18 AM
flyersguy33*

vCash: 500
didn't see the game. without having to go through a ton of pages what happened at the end?

Old
01-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Trovatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
russian taunting for winning BRONZE?!!? losers..
**** bronze. their taunting for beating Canada. 'Nuff said.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:21 AM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I like how Hockey Canada had to shut down its Facebook page, or at least the posting option.. Seems as though they really don't like take the heat or hearing criticism.

And to be fair to Hockey Canada a lot of fans from other countries like to really rub it in when Canada gets smacked in the chops.
I am back to rub it in every ones face here. I said before the tournament that Canada would not medal. I predicted a 4th place. On these factors

The defence was to soft
There were not enough rugged players
Spott is to sllllooooowwwwww and stubborn

That's it

Maybe next year they build a team that is rugged. Fast and has a mean defence.

80% of people on this board don't know what the hell they are saying.

Don cherry is right on the CHL - he knows more than 100% of the people on this board.

Don cherry is the best at least better than every on this board.

We need to do a better job developing our goalies as they let us down this year again.

See you guys next year - bwahahahahahahah

Old
01-05-2013, 09:33 AM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Wasn't his play. Pay attention next time. That was 120% Murphy. And up until this game Rielly was only on the ice for 1 goal against ALL tournament. But just speaking for the sake of it works too I guess
Of course it's his play. You see your partner getting beat you have to make every effort to back him up. He has to try harder to beat the Russian to the post and block him off from cutting to the front of the net. You act like you have to take turns making plays. Soon as the Russian starts cutting wide Reilly has to see the play developing and bust his hump to get position on the Russian and force him to the side. This play gets made all the time. As it was Reilly comes back slow and in the end makes a very soft effort to check the player.

I watch Reilly in the WHL and he not a physical player. This showed up clearly in the tournament and clearly on this play. This is how he plays

This player is tremendously slick and very good at moving in off the point to help the offense (at least at the Junior level). Showed some signs of that in the tournament. But he is not about bumping people around in his own zone or using his body to separate people from the puck. The defensive deficiencies in reilly's game were on clear view in this tournament and all the stats manipulation in the world is not going to undo what our eyes told us about Reilly in this tournament.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:35 AM
ryno23

Maybe its time hockey Canada looked at Kevin Pendergast and evaluates his role. I guess with the him being a former Oiler they are use to losing and not winning haha...no first round pick in WJHC if you lose but seriously this team has not performed up to par the past 3 years and has chocked in key spots.

I would probably see if you can hire a full time coach who can travel the year to scout players and really watch these kids up closely and not just during one selection camp or meaningless summer exhibition games. I want that guy who during a 3 game weekend road trip after a 15 hour bus ride is still dominating and showing heart and passion. There was no grit on this team.

Enough of these coaches taking their own players like Murphy cause he sees them all the time. Problem with picking a coach who coaches a junior team is he sticks with players he is familiar with and doesn't know enough of guys from all other leagues including NCAA.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Dirty Dan
Saturday Night Lupul

Yakupov was trained by canadians in the chl, unfair.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
It would be if more than 4-5 nations had a legit shot at making the finals.
How's your track record, russia?

Old
01-05-2013, 09:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
After theories that RNH was somehow a cancer, they were fortunate there is a lockout so they could have him, or else they might have even made it as far as they did. Canada's offense had absolutely nothing besides him.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Ryan Murphy.... LOL

You're ****ing terrible. Carolina got had.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Rielly didn't have a good game. Murphy had a good game until the final play.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Trovatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
How's your track record, russia?
Fairly decent for a country that doesn't care about this tournament as much as you do. Thanks for asking.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:57 AM
BlueNhockeytown

Re

Look at all the Canadians are at this tournament. If it were not for Canada Hockey would be irrelevant so I for one have no issue with their arrogance and passion. The Us has basically 4 States where hockey is a blip on the radar.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:00 AM
gretskidoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNhockeytown View Post
Look at all the Canadians are at this tournament. If it were not for Canada Hockey would be irrelevant so I for one have no issue with their arrogance and passion. The Us has basically 4 States where hockey is a blip on the radar.
Popularity doesn't excuse arrogance.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:03 AM
TheJudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trovatore View Post
Fairly decent for a country that doesn't care about this tournament as much as you do. Thanks for asking.

This is like saying "We could beat you more often, but we just don't want to."

Yep, I could go out and win the Masters this year too, if only I cared more...

Old
01-05-2013, 10:05 AM
BlueNhockeytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretskidoo View Post
Popularity doesn't excuse arrogance.
Well from what I've seen, their fans offer way more positive comments than negative. Plus there are a lot more of them.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Rielly didn't have a good game. Murphy had a good game until the final play.
He turned the puck over at least 6 times. The times he did turn it over there was little pressure on him. He tried to do a simple stickhandle and lost it. Made terrible passes to exit the zone.

He has a great ability to keep the puck in when in the offensive zone. Has a great shot. However, everywhere else he's pretty damn bad. Defensively, he's not even CHL material. He might be alright defensively in a beer league. He needs to improve there leaps and bounds.

Maybe I'm just bad luck for the guy, but he should have never made this team.

To be fair, he wasn't the only one who made bad plays, but he made them a lot more frequently than anyone else it seemed.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:08 AM
JVR or Bust
Crease Crasher

I missed the game but congratulations to Russia on their bronze medal. Always a dangerous team offensively and the scoreline reflects that. Haven't had a chance to see this taunting incident but I'm not going to pretend Canadian players wouldn't do the same and excessively celebrate a victory.

As for the fourth place finish, a little surprised at the result, but as a country we've had a great track record in the tournament and it's only a matter of time before we take home the gold again. I for one am happy Canada isn't a lock to win every single year because I like the competition and makes the tournament as a whole much more interesting.

They're just a bunch of kids playing a game, give them a break and be thankful they agreed to represent our country. I wish them success in the future wherever it may be.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trovatore View Post
**** bronze. their taunting for beating Canada. 'Nuff said.
Didn't watch the game and could honestly care less about where we finished, but I just caught the highlights on TSN, rather unimpressed with the taunt, a Bronze medal in your own backyard is hardly something to get excited over, especially for a perennial favourite like Russia. It just makes it sweeter the next time we beat them.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
Didn't watch the game and could honestly care less about where we finished, but I just caught the highlights on TSN, rather unimpressed with the taunt, a Bronze medal in your own backyard is hardly something to get excited over, especially for a perennial favourite like Russia. It just makes it sweeter the next time we beat them.
Nooo, a win over a rival at home, leaving Canada without a medal and bringing at least a bronze home, in a sparky game... is cool

Old
01-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Game highlights posted anywhere?

Old
01-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Paxton Fettel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Nooo, a win over a rival at home, leaving Canada without a medal and bringing at least a bronze home, in a sparky game... is cool
exactly. humiliating Canada with a 4th place finish in a lockout year is pretty cool

Old
01-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Interactif

After watching the replay of the winning goal a few times, I have to say it was a bit of bad luck and a great play by a very talented player Nichuskin that resulted in a goal.

Rielly anticipated and went for the interception of the pass, if one looked closely he did tip the puck, the pick however hit the stanchion and instead of going to him, went right to Nichuskin.

It was a fortuitous bounce and really even though Murphy took a bad angle in defending but I can't lay the blame on him, this is Nichuskin's signature move. Seth Jones couldn't stop him earlier in the tournament on a similar play, you can't expect Murphy to either.

In the end it was a bit of a bad bounce, some luck, and a very talented player that iced the game.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:28 AM
DJOpus

People need to realize that this tournament is competitive teenagers playing in emotional games. Yes, there was taunting and some bad plays but that's just part of kids putting it out there.

It's not our job to hold them accountable, that's up to their coaches.

I can't criticize any of the players involved, they were just volunteering their time to represent our countries.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Trovatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJudge View Post

This is like saying "We could beat you more often, but we just don't want to."

Yep, I could go out and win the Masters this year too, if only I cared more...
You can type sophisms all you want, what I said is still a fact. Ending up lower than russkies for three years in a row is another fact to ponder over.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:39 AM
awesomo
HARD!

this was by far the worst canadian team ive seen. but its been downhill recently especially with KP at the helm. I've been watching poor talent scouting from him for a while b/c of his Oilers days.

also horrible coaching.

Closed Thread