Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

2013 World Junior Championships Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 09:20 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

vCash: 500
Gaudreau gets gold and a tournament all star award. Hobey Baker next? Should be patrolling the port side for the Flames in the next 18 months, size be damned.

Loved the medal presentation too. Tretiak took time to give Johnny Hockey a slap in the head and a special congratulation on his medal. Obviously Tretiak was a fan and liked what he saw. Subtle but important acknowledgement from one of the greatest players the game has produced!

Last edited by CGYPUKSUX: 01-05-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Tretiak slap addition...
CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:27 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Have to like the performances of the Flames other prospects in the tournament. Granlund was arguably the best Finn, out shining supposed stars to be like Armia and Teravainen. Bother Wotherspoon and Sieloff made their teams as the seventh defender and then played their way onto the top four. The tournament is not the end-all-be-all for projecting players, but you do like to see your young guys step up and over perform. Good stuff all around.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:40 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
Have to like the performances of the Flames other prospects in the tournament. Granlund was arguably the best Finn, out shining supposed stars to be like Armia and Teravainen. Bother Wotherspoon and Sieloff made their teams as the seventh defender and then played their way onto the top four. The tournament is not the end-all-be-all for projecting players, but you do like to see your young guys step up and over perform. Good stuff all around.
I don't think Wotherspoon ever was in the top 4. He was paired with Oulette on the 3rd pairing.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:49 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
JG ends up leading the goal scoring race in the tournament hopefully people start to notice him more after this.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Ynnek

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
Hell no!! lol
Hell YES!!!

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Nordberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnek View Post
Hell YES!!!
Haha! Well deserved win for the US and I'm super happy for Sieloff and especially Johnny. I just wish it hadn't come at the expense of a repeat Sweden gold. Pretty unhappy about coaching decisions in the final as well.

Looking forward to next year in Malmö... about 30 minutes from my city!

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Unkki

Granlund was not Finland's best forward, it was Teräväinen. Granlund had a really bad game against Czech Republic. He was on first line as a center, although he has played better at wing and that spot was too big for him already before tournament. So after all I'm quite happy of Granlund's performance, but he didn't shine this year.

He hasn't been so good in FEL this season for HIFK, so these games were good if we compare his performance to FEL-games. Hopefully he will develop.

Unkki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

Johnny with his gold medal

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Congrats to Johnny, Sieloff and Gillies. Nice to see that we had 3 Flame prospects winning a gold and 2 of them played key roles.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:08 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
I don't think Wotherspoon ever was in the top 4. He was paired with Oulette on the 3rd pairing.
He definitely played in the top four in the last game of the tournament. In fact he was matched up against the Yakupov line for most of the game (ES) and did a great job. He also played consistently on the top PK unit with Harrington for the entire tournament.

I have always been a fan of Wotherspoon and his performance in this tournament only helped solidify my thoughts that he will play in the NHL for a long time in the future.
He outplayed the likes Hamilton, Reinhart, Murphy and Rielly from the round robin on. Great tournament for Tyler.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Massive holes may be a little bit of an over statement, but he does have things he needs to work on.
They're only massive in the sense that they'll keep him out of the NHL.

If he can work on his coverage in the defensive zone (and for all I know he was doing as told during this tournament) then I'd be a lot more optimistic about his future in the NHL.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
They're only massive in the sense that they'll keep him out of the NHL.

If he can work on his coverage in the defensive zone (and for all I know he was doing as told during this tournament) then I'd be a lot more optimistic about his future in the NHL.
Its obviously a valid concern, but I'm not all that worried. The same things were said of Brodie, Gaudreau is an intelligent player and I'm sure he's aware of his weaknesses and he strikes me as the kind of player that will focus on those areas with great effort.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote