Notices

2012/2013 Abbotsford Heat Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Flames92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Baertschi with an assist in his first game back!
Pretty good game by Sven in his first game back. I would of liked to see him get a little more ice time but I guess thats too much to ask with Ward as the coach

Flames92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:44 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
Pretty good game by Sven in his first game back. I would of liked to see him get a little more ice time but I guess thats too much to ask with Ward as the coach
Yeah, and he probably wants to ease Sven back into the lineup.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

His minutes would of likely been set before the game started. Ward isn't one to stray from an agenda and the Flames want to be extra cautious with him.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
FLAMESFAN

Just a month ago it seemed like Abby had a playoff berth almost guarenteed. Now with Bart, Brodie, and Horak? being called up, and a dismall record the past 6 weeks, this team could find themselves on the outside looking in.
On the bright side, all teams will have call ups, and the 3 goalie thing will be gonzo.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:24 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Just a month ago it seemed like Abby had a playoff berth almost guarenteed. Now with Bart, Brodie, and Horak? being called up, and a dismall record the past 6 weeks, this team could find themselves on the outside looking in.
On the bright side, all teams will have call ups, and the 3 goalie thing will be gonzo.
All the other top teams in the AHL are in the same situation. When all these players get recalled its going to be a shuffling of the deck. We will just have to wait and see which teams really had the best rosters this year.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Brodie is really the only guy that will be a regular from the Heat to be on the big club. Sven just got back. The Oilers have a huge advantage, I expect them to get off to a hot start this year again.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:55 AM
FLAMESFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
All the other top teams in the AHL are in the same situation. When all these players get recalled its going to be a shuffling of the deck. We will just have to wait and see which teams really had the best rosters this year.
Except all the other teams haven't won 4 out of the last 15 games, and score less than the pope. Kolanos/Street/Walter etc need to step up, and depth guys will need to contribute. I can't believe Nemisz doesn't have a point yet....Maybe now Wahl gets his chance?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:18 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Except all the other teams haven't won 4 out of the last 15 games, and score less than the pope. Kolanos/Street/Walter etc need to step up, and depth guys will need to contribute. I can't believe Nemisz doesn't have a point yet....Maybe now Wahl gets his chance?
Oh the Heat have sucked as of late, I am just saying all the other teams are going to take a hit too.

Nemisz has been pitiful. Looking more and more like a bust.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:40 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Just by looking at the stats, looks like Irving was run out of the net. He gave up 3 goals on 7 shots.

Heat lost 3-1.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:42 AM
FLAMESFAN

I thought Irving might get a start right before camp to help sharpen him up.....looks like he's going to need ALOT of sharpening.
You have to feel sorry for Brust & Taylor. They've performed much better, yet they aren't going to get a sniff. Irving puts up embarrassing numbers, and somehow he's our favorite to be the backup? I'd be putting him down in Utah, not Calgary

Old
01-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Quote:
I thought Irving might get a start right before camp to help sharpen him up.....looks like he's going to need ALOT of sharpening.
You have to feel sorry for Brust & Taylor. They've performed much better, yet they aren't going to get a sniff. Irving puts up embarrassing numbers, and somehow he's our favorite to be the backup? I'd be putting him down in Utah, not Calgary
Really this season is his last chance to make noise at the NHL level before heading down the Keetley (sp?) Mclollinney, or other "next best thing" backup the Flames have had for a while now.

I'm sure he'll find his game at training camp; its only his career on the line.

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:51 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Really this season is his last chance to make noise at the NHL level before heading down the Keetley (sp?) Mclollinney, or other "next best thing" backup the Flames have had for a while now.

I'm sure he'll find his game at training camp; its only his career on the line.
It's gonna be too late by then. The Flames can't look at themselves and their meritocracy in the mirror with a straight face if Irving makes this team, given his brutal performance in the AHL this year. He had just as much a chance as Brust and Taylor to make an impact in the AHL and he lost out to both of them. How can you put a guy like that in the NHL? It would be a joke.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:10 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
It's gonna be too late by then. The Flames can't look at themselves and their meritocracy in the mirror with a straight face if Irving makes this team, given his brutal performance in the AHL this year. He had just as much a chance as Brust and Taylor to make an impact in the AHL and he lost out to both of them. How can you put a guy like that in the NHL? It would be a joke.
He has been bad in the AHL this year but clearly the Flames value his 7 games in nhl over his bad 3 ahl games.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

It doesn't matter how Irving played in the AHL. It matters how he plays in the NHL. Irving showed he was the second best goaltender in the entire system based on his play in the NHL. That's why he's getting a chance.

If it was up too the fans here, Brodie would still be AHL, or actually be written off as bust because his AHL numbers were disappointing. Or a guy like Jimmy Howard on the Wings, had he been Flames property, would also have been written off as a bust based on his AHL career.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:33 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Brodie has disappointing AHL numbers? That's news to me. He's the third leading scorer.

You can't evaluate goalies on how they played last year, you have to evaluate them on how they are playing now. (World Jrs. anyone?) And Irving doesn't deserve to be in the NHL right now. It's looking more and more apparent that Karlsson will be the backup out of camp this year, as much as we would like Irving to succeed he's got to make it happen, we can't wish it for him.

Remember Irving was also playing poorly in Heat camp and practises earlier this year. And he lost out his starting job when he returned to the Heat last year. When you look at it, Irving hasn't been in form for almost a year now.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Brodie has disappointing AHL numbers? That's news to me. He's the third leading scorer.
Not his current numbers, but his stat line just prior to him being called up permanently last season. The talk here at that time was his performance in the AHL didn't warrant a call up to the NHL. Thankfully, Feaster wasn't as short-sighted.

Quote:
You can't evaluate goalies on how they played last year, you have to evaluate them on how they are playing now. (World Jrs. anyone?) And Irving doesn't deserve to be in the NHL right now. It's looking more and more apparent that Karlsson will be the backup out of camp this year, as much as we would like Irving to succeed he's got to make it happen, we can't wish it for him.
I'm not going to put much stock in his once a month starts in the AHL. All that matters is how he looks in the NHL.

Quote:
Remember Irving was also playing poorly in Heat camp and practises earlier this year. And he lost out his starting job when he returned to the Heat last year. When you look at it, Irving hasn't been in form for almost a year now.
A year ago, Irving was made the Flames backup, after Karlsson went down with an injury. About nine and a half months ago, he was being called up from the AHL for each NHL game, since Feaster and co. believed him to be the better backup, over Karlsson.

He's really only struggled since going back to the AHL this season after being relegated as the 3rd stringer, before even playing a game.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

To me its about consistency. Getting a start every 10 games or so is very hard to get any kind of rhythm going. If he's in a funk right now, he needs to play his way out of it and he can't do that riding the pine. Fundamentally, other than Kipper, Irving is our best goalie. 9 months of so so play isn't going to change my opinion of that.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay....division_id=-1

I knew they were playing well, but damn...

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay....division_id=-1

I knew they were playing well, but damn...
Elliot/Halak tandem of the AHL...

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:22 PM
DevilsAnimal*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Elliot/Halak tandem of the AHL...
Taylor and Brust are a little better than that :B

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:11 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Well atleast the Heat are winning games. 3rd in the conference half way through the season.

Its too bad that Horak is the only prospect putting up points. I thought Reinhart and Byron would do well.

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

Yeah, Reinhart's play is almost as depressing as Howse before him. Heck, Ferland too prior to heading back to juniors.

Obviously it's early in their careers, but if these kinds of prospects fail at the pro level, it's difficult to predict junior success translating to NHL success.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
Yeah, Reinhart's play is almost as depressing as Howse before him. Heck, Ferland too prior to heading back to juniors.

Obviously it's early in their careers, but if these kinds of prospects fail at the pro level, it's difficult to predict junior success translating to NHL success.
Clearly youhaven't been able to watch Reinhart with the Heat or you sure as heck wouldn't be calling his play depressing.

Reinhart has been one of the top penalty killers, one of the top defensive forwards, he had been playing in a bottom 6 role on a low scoring team so his stats don't reflect how well he had been playing. But Reinhart since the lockout ended has moved up the lineup and started playing more minutes with better linemates and guess what? 5 points in his last 6 games.

People need to stop making assumptions based on what they interpret from the stats and maybe ask people that have watched them all season long how they are doing instead.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I haven't been able to watch a Heat game since the NHL came back, I've been to busy with my hockey pool lol.

That is excellent to hear that Reinhart is producing with an increased role. He's a great 2-way player and excelled defensively early on, hopefully the points continue come for him. If they do, he could be on the Flames next season.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:41 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Clearly youhaven't been able to watch Reinhart with the Heat or you sure as heck wouldn't be calling his play depressing.

Reinhart has been one of the top penalty killers, one of the top defensive forwards, he had been playing in a bottom 6 role on a low scoring team so his stats don't reflect how well he had been playing. But Reinhart since the lockout ended has moved up the lineup and started playing more minutes with better linemates and guess what? 5 points in his last 6 games.

People need to stop making assumptions based on what they interpret from the stats and maybe ask people that have watched them all season long how they are doing instead.
thanks for clearing that up buddy.. I reall haven't been paying no mind to his stats, if he makes the show, it will be as a hard working 3rd or 4th liner with intangibles.

Also on a side note, I have no clue how I never noticed this before but Max is one day younger than me lol. Weird, and kind of depressing

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote