HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

PGT - Gold Medal Game - Sweden vs USA

Old
01-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Oyabun

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS 39 Gripen View Post
...no we dont. Do you know anything bout european history? And whats going on in Hungary for example? Guess not.
Yes we do, Sweden in particular. We've been in desperate need for a pinch of national pride for a few decades now.

Oyabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:05 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
We had two players from Minnesota.

More players from California on this team than Minnesota.
I am always confused by this because Trouba was born in Minnesota. I do think he grew up mostly in Michigan, but I am not completely familiar with his back story.

If you include him they have 3 Minnesota boys.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Because Canadians don't post in this thread unless to whine or complain? For the most part. Plus people are out, it's 11 not 6.

Look at Bauer Hockey's page, some people can't take someone else winning. I don't brag about wins but that is pathetic.
I'm sorry, I'm not seeing what you are then. Where are all the Canadians whining and complaining in this thread?

This game was a lot more important than the bronze, so I would think that this thread would at least be on par with the bronze-medal PGT.

TherapyforGlencross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
where's dipietro
Press box with an injury

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not seeing what you are then. Where are all the Canadians whining and complaining in this thread?

This game was a lot more important than the bronze, so I would think that tthis thread would at least be on par with the bronze-medal PGT.
Well in four hours, I'm sure this thread will have the same amount of posts as the Bronze thread does now.. Unless all the troll posts get deleted.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Xokkeu

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheFeistyFinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
Yes we do, Sweden in particular. We've been in desperate need for a pinch of national pride for a few decades now.
agreed man. im happy it's quite strong in finland. we gotta take control of immigration in north. it's getting crazy o,o

TheFeistyFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Fantastic hockey game, pretty much precisely what could be expected going in. In many ways, these teams were very similar, and they played outstanding hockey.

I think many disappointed Swedish fans are far too harsh on their star players for not "stepping up" today. The United States did an outstanding job not allowing that, and not just their outstanding defense, but the five guys out on the ice basically all sixty minutes, and once they fell even somewhat short, Gibson was there to give back. The Swedes did the same thing to a fantastic degree, and didn't allow anyone to really "step up" themselves, looking at the goals that happened today or against Russia.

It was simply a fantastic effort from both teams and a very worthy final. Huge amounts of respect for all players and both teams. Congratulations!

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
"Hey guys, did you hear the bronze medal game has a longer PGT? Maybe we should give our medals back."

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:08 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post

This game was a lot more important than the bronze, so I would think that this thread would at least be on par with the bronze-medal PGT.
Look back several pages.

Love how ESPN mentions NOTHING about this yet it's in America. Cool.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I am always confused by this because Trouba was born in Minnesota. I do think he grew up mostly in Michigan, but I am not completely familiar with his back story.

If you include him they have 3 Minnesota boys.
I counted Trouba as a Michigan guy. However I just realized that Lucia is probably a Minnesota guy, even though he was born in Alaska. So still 3.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:09 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Fantastic hockey game, pretty much precisely what could be expected going in. In many ways, these teams were very similar, and they played outstanding hockey.

I think many disappointed Swedish fans are far too harsh on their star players for not "stepping up" today. The United States did an outstanding job not allowing that, and not just their outstanding defense, but the five guys out on the ice basically all sixty minutes, and once they fell even somewhat short, Gibson was there to give back. The Swedes did the same thing to a fantastic degree, and didn't allow anyone to really "step up" themselves, looking at the goals that happened today or against Russia.

It was simply a fantastic effort from both teams and a very worthy final. Huge amounts of respect for all players and both teams. Congratulations!
I agree. I think Yakupov and Forsberg will be great players, maybe Forsberg a little bit better than Yakupov. But you can't judge just based on this.

Both Sweden and USA shut down the competition.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
So guys like Yakupov and Forsberg are going to be bad NHLers?

Please. Yes, they struggled at times but it's a big stage. It might take them awhile to harness their skills in big NHL games but they will still be at least top 2 line players.
I know right. I would take either guy over Grimaldi, who scored twice today.

Forsberg turned 18 in August, he has a Gold and a Silver, and if he wants, will play next year at home for another medal chance.

That being said if the Caps want to tank for Jones, I am on board. . He is going to be a beast. He made mistakes, but never out of fear, and that says a lot.

Gustavo Fring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Dosing

Congrats and well done usa, it was a fun game to watch

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
orange is better
than other colors...

they didn't win the tournament or medal, so now they have to win the "amount of posts in the HFBoards PGT award". great job canada!

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Unkki

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Best current American goalies:
Quick
Miller
Howard
Thomas (don't know if he counts)
Schneider

Best Current Canadian goalies:
Price
Fleury
Ward
Luongo
Smith

slight edge to canada at this point in time, but america has a chance to be better in the near future.
Finland's answer:

Kiprusoff
Rinne
Rask
Lehtonen
Bäckström.

Unkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Just heard the news. I'm a bit shocked that they pulled this off, but hey... nice job!

BTW, for those who feel the need to dump on the amount of attention it receives, bear in mind that we don't have our main sports network pushing this thing like it's the biggest deal on the sports calendar.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

As far as the (inevitable) discussion centered on no one caring in the US outside the traditional hockey areas, the key thing to note it that there are an ever-increasing number of guys from the south and west playing top rate hockey these days. It will only get better for the US in the decades to come.

Pittsburgh is a great example. Twenty/thirty years ago, there was no one from the Pittsburgh youth system that was worth a damn. This year, there were four (Miller, Barber, Gibson and Trochek) from Pittsburgh who made significant contributions. Twenty years from now, the US team will likely be drawing excellent talent from CA, TX, and NC as well as MI, MA and Minny.

In any case, well done lads!

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WaltWhitman

Quote:
The Canadians have six returning players plus Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. The Russians are at home and have captain Nail Yakupov leading them. The Swedes are the defending champions. So, Seth Jones, where does your team fit in?

"Right in there. I think we're the best team," the American defenceman said on Thursday. "We have a lot of speed up front, we're great defensively and we have good goaltending so I think we have all the pieces to win the gold medal."

Considering Team USA failed to get past the round-robin stage last year and has only three returning players (forward J.T. Miller, defenceman Jacob Trouba and goalie John Gibson) that may be considered a bold statement

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=412005

(check out the comments section. lololololol)

WaltWhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Xokkeu

The US allowed more than 2 goals one time, against Slovakia where they won 9-3. They gave up 2 goals only once, losing both games against Canada and Russia. In the knockout round they only gave up two goals. One that shouldn't have counted against Canada because the ref screwed up, and the goal today against Sweden. The US defense was ELITE. Sweden gave an excellent effort and I don't think anybody should be to upset with them. They faced the best defense and best goalie in the tournament.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkki View Post
Finland's answer:

Kiprusoff
Rinne
Rask
Lehtonen
Bäckström.
Rask isn't a top goaltender yet and Kiprusoff is about to retire

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Best current American goalies:
Quick
Miller
Howard
Thomas (don't know if he counts)
Schneider

Best Current Canadian goalies:
Price
Fleury
Ward
Luongo
Smith

slight edge to canada at this point in time, but america has a chance to be better in the near future.
Say what???

Look at that list again and really think about what you just said.

USA, Finland, heck even though Sweden really only has the one big guy I still take them before Canada.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
As far as the (inevitable) discussion centered on no one caring in the US outside the traditional hockey areas, the key thing to note it that there are an ever-increasing number of guys from the south and west playing top rate hockey these days. It will only get better for the US in the decades to come.

Pittsburgh is a great example. Twenty/thirty years ago, there was no one from the Pittsburgh youth system that was worth a damn. This year, there were four (Miller, Barber, Gibson and Trochek) from Pittsburgh who made significant contributions. Twenty years from now, the US team will likely be drawing excellent talent from CA, TX, and NC as well as MI, MA and Minny.

In any case, well done lads!
Ohio also has a very strong presence on this team. Hopefully somebody figures out how to make the Blue Jackets good.

Old
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
If my grandmother had wheels shed be a race car ...
And i would give her a ride.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oyabun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
And it could be argued that we are the second best hockey country in the world right now, what's your point?
Did you even bother to read the post I quoted. If you did...my point should be very clear

Hockey players US 511,178

Hockey players Sweden 69,921

So the idea that the man on the street couldn't give a crap and therefore it is embarrasing for the world is hogwash.

The US is training an army of hockey players and should be a dominant force going by this. Of course you could argue that you're 2nd best in the world but you'd be wrong. Lord knows that you wouldn't be the first to argue that ones own country is THE best or 2nd best.

Oyabun is offline   Reply With Quote