HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Greg Johnson, Predators part ways

Old
06-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Pred Head

vCash: 500
Greg Johnson, Predators part ways

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...p?story_id=937

Everybody knew it was coming. Thoughts?

Pred Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 09:41 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

ambivalent.

my dime is on sullivan for next captain. you can say walker, but it's his last year of his contract, and i think it reduces some of the tumult if you can keep the same captain consistently.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Pred Head

I hope Kariya at least gets an "A", he deserves it with the way he played this season.

Pred Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 10:08 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids

my dime is on sullivan for next captain. you can say walker, but it's his last year of his contract, and i think it reduces some of the tumult if you can keep the same captain consistently.
From conversations on our roadtrip with the Preds, I think the three leading scenarios are:

1] Three or Four A's and no C until next year, when Kariya, Walker, and Timonen's contracts are up and they are either let go or extended, then the formal C will be handed out......as it may potentially lead to more strife and division in the locker room if there is not a consensus.

2] Sully gets the C for reasons that Nomore outlines, and some would argue that it is already his team.

3] Walker gets the C, because he is "heir apparent" and potentially has the most support in the locker room.

I really don't know which one it will be, but I feel that #s 1 and 2 are the most likely, and I will put my money on #1, but put a secret bet on #2 to shore up my odds.......

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 01:11 AM
JussiM

Sooo... does this mean Tootoo will get #22?

JussiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 03:23 AM
Twist and Shout

Give Hamhuis an "A".

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 06:44 AM
handtrick

Well...this is what Poile said about the captaincy into today's rag.....it does sound fairly wide open:

Poile said the Predators are likely to take their time in selecting a new captain, perhaps waiting for training camp or just before the start of the regular season.

"I'd like to have all of our coaches write down the criteria they'd like to see in our captain and in our leadership group, then work to analyze which players fit it best,'' Poile said. "Maybe there will even be an interview process to see who wants those kind of jobs and what they would bring.''

Defenseman Kimmo Timonen, as well as forwards Scott Walker, Steve Sullivan and Paul Kariya, have all served significant stints as alternate captains for the Predators, but Poile said the new search will be "wide open.''

Asked if the team might consider rotating captains, as Minnesota has done for the past few seasons, he said he'd at least be open to the possibility.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....606090410/1028

The Nashville City Paper adds this snippet:

Johnson followed Tom Fitzgerald as only the second captain in Predators history. Speculation is that forward Steve Sullivan and defenseman Kimmo Timonen could be possible candidates to wear the C on their sweaters.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=50348

Old
06-09-2006, 07:15 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

psh, don't they read the boards? everyone knows that timonen is about to be traded for vishnevski and chistov

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 08:17 AM
PredsMan

I always liked Greg, in the early years, he was one of the few bright spots.

I don't care how diminished his role was, I'll miss him.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2006, 12:02 PM
dallastars19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan
I always liked Greg, in the early years, he was one of the few bright spots.

I don't care how diminished his role was, I'll miss him.
i agree. in 02/03, when i was actually able to watch the predators(and hockey in general), johnson's return from injury brought alot to the team and you could tell by just watching. he was clearly the leader back when i lived in nashville, i didnt get to watch them this last year, so idk how important he still is. but if its anything like previous years, he is what holds the team together.

dallastars19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2006, 12:11 PM
handtrick

Johnson = CLASS.....no way around it.

But I agree wholeheartedly with this decision, it is time for a change.

It is interesting how Poile said it was time "for us to maybe try some different players and get a little bit different look."

Maybe I am wanting to read into it a little too much....but what do you think he meant by a "get a little bit different look"......what look are they trying to bring in that Johnson didn't embody?

Old
06-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
Johnson = CLASS.....no way around it.

But I agree wholeheartedly with this decision, it is time for a change.

It is interesting how Poile said it was time "for us to maybe try some different players and get a little bit different look."

Maybe I am wanting to read into it a little too much....but what do you think he meant by a "get a little bit different look"......what look are they trying to bring in that Johnson didn't embody?
Passivity. It has to be a passive game style. Our lack of aggressivness seemed to come back and bite us in the butt this year as our forechecking and defensive zone coverage seemed to be sloppy/with high penalties due to a passive gameplan.

06-10-2006, 04:36 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd like to see us actually play as a team again. That's something we didn't do this past season, we had a collection of players but no team.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote