HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

PGT - Bronze Medal Game - Canada vs Russia

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
Canada put in their place. Good for Russia. Hopefully this means Steve Spott retires from coaching sports at any level permanently. IQ of maybe 50 he has. Of course I'm disappointed in the team but good God that was an embarrassing tournament starting with the darkness comments up until now, with handling defensemen and goaltenders, getting out coached in the game against USA, looking like a deer in the headlights on the bench... Just awful all around.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:09 AM
bizzz*

Even Columbus should disrespect Canada after this tournsament.

Old
Beyonder91
Seids the Machine

Still confused why Rielly/Murphy would ever be a D pair. That was some of the softest play I've seen on that OT goal.

Old
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
that is it. We are going to war!

america, you got our backs? Or what?
helllll no! (:

Old
01-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Interactif

I'm pretty sure Canada has been overzealous with our celebrations before, I don't like it when we do it so what Russia did if they were reacting to something that happened in the past, I can't be too upset. It would sting more had it been for a gold instead of a bronze.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:11 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Who was that that tried to slash the player with the stick up high?

Should get a suspension.

Intent is clearly there to hurt the player
You must be joking. That wasn't a real swing, it was a "why I oughta!" and nothing more.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
You must be joking. That wasn't a real swing, it was a "why I oughta!" and nothing more.
Agreed. It doesn't look like he was trying to hit him, otherwise he would have. Nothing more than a taunt/threat.

Last edited by Rob Brown: 01-05-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old
01-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Keke Mortsons helmet

Whoever is going on about Russians being soft should read a little history. This is one of the more idiotic things I have read in a while.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Beyonder91
Seids the Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Who was that that tried to slash the player with the stick up high?

Should get a suspension.

Intent is clearly there to hurt the player
Don't be stupid he wasn't even close to hitting the guy.

Classless display by Russia there though.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:14 AM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
For any of my fellow Canadians whining and crying about how the Russian team acted today . . . until a Russian does something as despicable and pathetic as this to a Canadian, you should all keep your mouths shut.

Or when Canadian leaders murder 50 million people, we can start calling them "dirty". Oh wait, was that too long ago to be relevant?

Old
01-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyonder91 View Post
Still confused why Rielly/Murphy would ever be a D pair. That was some of the softest play I've seen on that OT goal.
They are not physical defence man, Rielly actually has the Ice Q to use other means to play defence, he was not on the ice for a GA until the last game. Lidstrom is not physical but is an excellent defender using smarts and an active stick. You don't have to be a physical D man to play good D.

Really Team Canada's defence, the guys we were depending on the most let us down. Harrington who is okay but seriously overrated compared to USA's D was a non factor, Hamilton the guy with the most hype going in was the most disappointing of all our D. The other guys were ok but nothing stood out. When Hamilton and Harrington are your number 1 pair, it's no wonder why Canada didn't medal.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Beyonder91
Seids the Machine

Quote:
For any of my fellow Canadians whining and crying about how the Russian team acted today . . . until a Russian does something as despicable and pathetic as this to a Canadian, you should all keep your mouths shut.

Lol... yes let's go all the way back to 1972 to justify Russia's classless display after their win today. It's even more funny it was only the Bronze medal at that.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:18 AM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
They are not physical defence man, Rielly actually has the Ice Q to use other means to play defence, he was not on the ice for a GA until the last game. Lidstrom is not physical but is an excellent defender using smarts and an active stick. You don't have to be a physical D man to play good D.

Really Team Canada's defence, the guys we were depending on the most let us down. Harrington who is okay but seriously overrated compared to USA's D was a non factor, Hamilton the guy with the most hype going in was the most disappointing of all our D. The other guys were ok but nothing stood out. When Hamilton and Harrington are your number 1 pair, it's no wonder why Canada didn't medal.
Harrington wasn't perfect but he wasn't bad.

I said before this tournament started; Harrington might be why we win this, Murphy might be why we lose. I think deep down we all knew that Murphy was gonna **** the bed.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:19 AM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
Yeah, let's compare 1970's hockey to 2013, all while ignoring the vast differences in the sport between the two time periods.
There is no difference between then and now when it comes to intentionally breaking the other team's star player's ankle. It is a black mark on Canadian hockey and as long as we celebrate the '72 victory as we do, it will always be relevant.

But, Canada never shows poor sportsmanship these days, right?

4-0 goal, Marchand acts like he won Olympic gold in overtime and climbs the glass:

and, let's not forget:

I'm Canadian, but I can admit Team Canada has a long, long history of being *******s on the international stage.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:19 AM
crunchyblack*
juice monkey

How does Russia not win every year? Their squad plays together so much, they should have a clear advantage over all the other teams that are put together at the start of the tourney. Meh.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Harrington wasn't perfect but he wasn't bad.

I said before this tournament started; Harrington might be why we win this, Murphy might be why we lose. I think deep down we all knew that Murphy was gonna **** the bed.
Agreed and I said this in my post, but he isn't a #1 pairing D man that would play on the USA team. I read the posts on him on this board, the guy was being written up like the next Drew Doughty or some great D man, he was ok, not great.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:22 AM
crunchyblack*
juice monkey

Quote:
There is no difference between then and now when it comes to intentionally breaking the other team's star player's ankle. It is a black mark on Canadian hockey and as long as we celebrate the '72 victory as we do, it will always be relevant.

But, Canada never shows poor sportsmanship these days, right?

4-0 goal, Marchand acts like he won Olympic gold in overtime and climbs the glass:

and, let's not forget:

I'm Canadian, but I can admit Team Canada has a long, long history of being *******s on the international stage.
Um, I think your second video was evidence of the USA being dirty...wrong thread?

The first video...The whole point of people *****ing about what the Russians did was because it was AFTER THE GAME DURING THE MEDAL CEREMONY. Jesus, how thick are you? Big deal Marchand jumps onto the glass to all the Canadian fans.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:22 AM
district9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
All this "classy" and taunting talk is funny, and the problem is overblown.
Taunting losing team after victory is better than taking a run at your rival... or swinging your stick.

Btw this Canadian team was such a bunch of fake tough guys! I remember some of Canadians tangling with Zharkov and embellishing every Zharkov's punch trying to draw a penalty. Pathetic!
Yeah this is my favorite thing, for all the "Russians are scared" "Euros are soft" talk that comes out of the Canada camp, the amount of diving Canada did all tourney was a disgrace

Old
01-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
I guess you could say that the Russians are at least classless towards us. We're classless only towards ourselves.
Booing the US National Anthem.

The xenophobe himself. Oh, it must hurt him SO MUCH that the "soft russians" defeated Canada.

...this is just lunacy.

Last edited by Rangerfans: 01-05-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old
01-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
Yeah this is my favorite thing, for all the "Russians are scared" "Euros are soft" talk that comes out of the Canada camp, the amount of diving Canada did all tourney was a disgrace
Every team was diving. They're all a disgrace, even the US.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:29 AM
LSnow

It's clear that they needed brighter lamps.. Amateur mistake.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Psychoil

buddy sometimes i love russia! they played great. they were arguably the better team tonight, and i honestly dont mind the taunting. They deserved it, they were better.

Canada really needs to rethink their strategy for these tournaments. I cannot believe how Reilly and Murphy played together. I can't even believe murphy played at all!

Old
01-05-2013, 11:34 AM
district9

Whoops, editing this because I saw the video wrong

Old
01-05-2013, 11:37 AM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

Haha anyone else think Yak is going to have a huge target on his back with his terrible sportsmanship? I think he's gonna get smashed a lot by some big guys. Hockey players don't forget

Old
01-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Trovatore

Quote:
Yeah right. And that russian guy pumping his jersey was clearly attempting a murder.

Closed Thread