HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

King on wjhc: Canada’s semifinal disaster

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2013, 06:37 PM
  #101
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
 
crump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontariariario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,284
vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Gibby was the difference & USA simply outplayed us. One game. One win.

Canada could not get anything going, so housley prepared them well. I do agree that Bing should have played.
This.

Team played well until this game. Shows what can happen when it comes down to one game. It no longer can be broken down like a series, too much can happen in one game. Bad bounce here, a screen there, a sluggish start can be deadly in a one game decision. Bottom line, Housley had his team prepared, they came out flying. Canada got down two before they started playing the game.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:37 PM
  #102
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Since Rielly is a Leaf I guess he needs to get plenty of credit for the loss. Kinda like how Mccabe got so much blame in the 06' Olympics despite barely seeing the ice.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:10 PM
  #103
philer Bozel
Coming Soon
 
philer Bozel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,717
vCash: 500
Could You Imagine if this was Kadri? In a semi finals match? Anyway It happens even NHL defenders do it sometimes. He'll learn.

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:37 PM
  #104
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Can't blame him in the game today at all. The team played horrible for him. He played in the games that mattered.
Sure. But how nice would it have been if he miraculously stopped just one of those pucks?

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:28 AM
  #105
FlareKnight
Registered User
 
FlareKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,655
vCash: 100
I think this kind of result was something that felt possible in the back of your mind (or at least mine). Germany wasn't a pretty game despite the score, Slovakia was a near disaster as well. Things looked better against the US and Russia, but somehow this game was more disappointing than outright surprising. Team just never looked comfortable.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:36 AM
  #106
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!
 
BayStBullies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: @BayStBullies
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
The most flagrant screen was Hamilton on the first goal; he was facing his own goalie for god sakes.

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:52 AM
  #107
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Sure. But how nice would it have been if he miraculously stopped just one of those pucks?
The way we were playing.. One wouldn't have saved us.

__________________
http://i57.tinypic.com/28b4abo.jpg
DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:51 AM
  #108
hullsy47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
The most flagrant screen was Hamilton on the first goal; he was facing his own goalie for god sakes.
adjustments were simply not made .......spott refusing to realize he needed to start his offense from the defence was dissapointing .....truth be told it was hard to judge reilly ...but it was easier to judge other defenceman .....murphy played way too much .......i think maybe a harrington reilly pairing wouldve helped against the american ....spott left his horses in the barn .....housley coached like am ex NHL 'er play the crap outta your hot hands .....IMO what saw of reilly ,drouin .,harrington ...i like alot ....that being said limited ice time .....i dont buy the americans are faster .......just didnt use his fast horses enuff !! SPOTT crapped the bed

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:14 AM
  #109
Tonka
Diggles
 
Tonka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 8,324
vCash: 500
I've been saying since the beginning, Spott is useless. Someone needs to slap that no neck idiot. I hope he and Murphy continue sleeping with each other.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:15 AM
  #110
pucci2001
Registered User
 
pucci2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,229
vCash: 500
I personally feel we had 3 checking lines and one scoring line, Huberdeau crapped the bed too. After all our early suspensions and penalties all our grit players like Camara, Jenner weren't playing on the edge like they usually do. I also feel they should have brought more creative offensive talent to the tourney, sure they brought a bunch of guys like Ritchie and Jenner and they have places but I think not inviting Max Domi and cutting Seth Griffith among others was a mistake. I actually think our Forwards will be better off next year other than us losing RNH.
I'd have liked to see line ups like:
Schiefle - RNH - Drouin
Griffith - Strome - Rattie
Huberdeau/Mackinnon - Jenner - Domi
Camara - Danault - Huberdeau/Mackinnon

But either way next year I think we will be really strong still have tons of 17 year old talent and younger such as Connor McDavid...real offensive talent not checking forwards with big bodies bullying the CHL. Our defense might not be as good considering we will lose Hamilton, Harrington, probably Rielly, Ouellet, Murphy.

Edit: Spott better not be coaching next year, I'd like to see a creative coach that will coach around the team not make the team play his usual system.

pucci2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:11 AM
  #111
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Sure. But how nice would it have been if he miraculously stopped just one of those pucks?
Maybe they should have earned their spots. Comes right back to the last selection camp when Subban was probably the worst of the group but knew he had the job.

There was always doubt about Subban.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:13 AM
  #112
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucci2001 View Post

But either way next year I think we will be really strong still have tons of 17 year old talent and younger such as Connor McDavid...real offensive talent not checking forwards with big bodies bullying the CHL. Our defense might not be as good considering we will lose Hamilton, Harrington, probably Rielly, Ouellet, Murphy.

Edit: Spott better not be coaching next year, I'd like to see a creative coach that will coach around the team not make the team play his usual system.
Don't they still rotate coaches from the 3 leagues, so OHL would not be coaching?

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:21 AM
  #113
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by philer Bozel View Post
Could You Imagine if this was Kadri? In a semi finals match? Anyway It happens even NHL defenders do it sometimes. He'll learn.
It did happen to Kadri. Him and T. Hall blew it.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:28 AM
  #114
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,371
vCash: 1045
Canada needs to start taking international competitions more seriously.

They should get the rosters together at least a few weeks in advance and have more exhibition games against college teams/ECHL or even OHL/WHL teams. They need to iron out kinks in the system and get players on the same page.

These kids look confused out there sometimes and that's because they are playing with new linemates and don't know where they are half the time, because they can't rely on instincts.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:49 AM
  #115
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Canada needs to start taking international competitions more seriously.

They should get the rosters together at least a few weeks in advance and have more exhibition games against college teams/ECHL or even OHL/WHL teams. They need to iron out kinks in the system and get players on the same page.

These kids look confused out there sometimes and that's because they are playing with new linemates and don't know where they are half the time, because they can't rely on instincts.
US Development system gives them a leg up in these tournaments as many have played together.

Perhaps Hockey Canada should run a U17-U19 summer league and create 4 teams of each. Get some CHL coaches to pick players from a list and then do a 6 week season each year.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:09 AM
  #116
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Since Rielly is a Leaf I guess he needs to get plenty of credit for the loss. Kinda like how Mccabe got so much blame in the 06' Olympics despite barely seeing the ice.
Funny I was thinking about him all along and how when they needed what he brings in the final minutes with the game on the line they refused to use him. Granted, he was shaky but that's why as a coach in that situation you adjust your lineup around him to account for that. You find the complimenting pieces.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:47 PM
  #117
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
US Development system gives them a leg up in these tournaments as many have played together.

Perhaps Hockey Canada should run a U17-U19 summer league and create 4 teams of each. Get some CHL coaches to pick players from a list and then do a 6 week season each year.
USA has more money, resources and 10X the population of Canada. If they want to be the best hockey nation in the world..they will be. Just sayin. Don't think they are there yet but they are closer than they have ever been, IMO.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:06 PM
  #118
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
USA has more money, resources and 10X the population of Canada. If they want to be the best hockey nation in the world..they will be. Just sayin. Don't think they are there yet but they are closer than they have ever been, IMO.
I'm not sure if I really agree with that. The US is putting out fantastic talent these days, but is the current group in the NHL and prospects waiting in the wings surpassing the 1996 World Cup generation? A few years ago after the lockout ended, we had a whole crop of American prospects who looked like they'd be world beaters. Erik Johnson, Kyle Okposo, Al Montoya, Peter Mueller, etc all kind of faded away.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:51 PM
  #119
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'm not sure if I really agree with that. The US is putting out fantastic talent these days, but is the current group in the NHL and prospects waiting in the wings surpassing the 1996 World Cup generation? A few years ago after the lockout ended, we had a whole crop of American prospects who looked like they'd be world beaters. Erik Johnson, Kyle Okposo, Al Montoya, Peter Mueller, etc all kind of faded away.
Well I did say I dont think they are there yet but they certainly are closing on Canada, Russia and Sweden who have traditonally been superior hockey nations. They probably surpassed Finland and Czechs...I'd say we are still the best overall but not by much.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.