HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXX - Naughty Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 02:57 AM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

vCash: 500
Hossa+Kesler would be killer.

The sheer strength, speed and skill of those two players is pretty much impossible to match up against(lol)

It also doesn't hurt that both guys are amazing defensively.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:02 AM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Their defense isn't deep and they always end up overplaying Keith and Seabrook to the point they're exhausted by the time the playoffs come around. Can only imagine if one of those 2 breaks down for any period of time...big trouble.
I don't know bud, Oduya, Leddy, Keith, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson are all pretty good Dmen, they're also all capable of playing big minutes.

And to be fair, most NHL teams would be in trouble if one or both their top two dmen get hurt.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:17 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
I don't know bud, Oduya, Leddy, Keith, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson are all pretty good Dmen, they're also all capable of playing big minutes.

And to be fair, most NHL teams would be in trouble if one or both their top two dmen get hurt.
Leddy is a disaster in his own end, Oduya isn't a whole lot better (at least he hasn't been recently), Hjalmarsson is decent but is fairly one dimensional. Keith and Seabrook are ridden hard. I'll take the Canucks balanced group over the top heavy Chicago D.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:34 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If it's the package I mentioned then I'd rather keep Luongo. If Toronto is offering Lupul + but Chicago is offering Kane I'd take Kane in a heartbeat. But if Toronto is offering Lupul and Chicago is offering Bolland, I take Toronto's offer.
They wouldn't offer Kane... thats crazy talk.

Trade Luongo for a UFA we won't likely be able to sign, that + would have to be something of big value & I just don't think Tor offers that.

After AV's comments about Bolland I don't think that would work.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:40 AM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Leddy is a disaster in his own end, Oduya isn't a whole lot better (at least he hasn't been recently), Hjalmarsson is decent but is fairly one dimensional. Keith and Seabrook are ridden hard. I'll take the Canucks balanced group over the top heavy Chicago D.
Odyua is actually pretty good defensively due to his speed. In fact, while he was on the ice last year his teams had a .920 save percentage, and that with over 80 games played. Hjalmarsson is a shut down dman, but he is what he is and is solid at that.

Once again, I never said their D was better than the Canucks, but it's surely capable of being a good D-core, especially with a goalie.

Seabrook, Keith, Hjalmarsson and Odyua can all play D. Leddy is one of the better young offensive dmen in the league, he brings his own element.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:48 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
Odyua is actually pretty good defensively due to his speed. In fact, while he was on the ice last year his teams had a .920 save percentage, and that with over 80 games played. Hjalmarsson is a shut down dman, but he is what he is and is solid at that.

Once again, I never said their D was better than the Canucks, but it's surely capable of being a good D-core, especially with a goalie.

Seabrook, Keith, Hjalmarsson and Odyua can all play D. Leddy is one of the better young offensive dmen in the league, he brings his own element.
All I remember is seeing lots of Oduya turnovers that led to goals against. You like their D, I think they are top heavy. We'll agree to disagree.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:53 AM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

[QUOTE=Canucker;57122799]All I remember is seeing lots of Oduya turnovers that led to goals against. You like their D, I think they are top heavy. We'll agree to disagree. [/QUOTE]

Old
01-05-2013, 09:00 AM
dave babych returns

Just for the record I think the commonly held belief among those who follow the stat is that players rarely have a direct impact on the on ice save percentage stat.

In other words its far more likely that Oduya was fortunate to avoid getting lit up than it is that he singlehandedly drove down the quality of chances of the five opposing skaters on the ice.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Scurr

When do we start trying to figure out how to get Shane Doan in our lineup?

Old
01-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Last time I checked it wasn't July 1st.
He signed his career ending contract with Phoenix. If he wanted to play here, he would have signed here.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Last time I checked it wasn't July 1st.
He signed his career ending contract with Phoenix. If he wanted to play here, he would have signed here.
It's looking more and more likely that Phoenix is going to be on the move... I don't think that's what he signed up for.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

Where are you getting information that PHX is definitely on the move?

Old
01-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's looking more and more likely that Phoenix is going to be on the move... I don't think that's what he signed up for.
Has any new information surfaced lately?

But even then, if Phoenix moves after this season (if there is a season), Doan's contract becomes much worse.
$5.3 mil for a declining 37 year old signed until 2016, and the salary cap is dropping. Ehhh...

Old
01-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

I'm bored, it's Saturday and I ought to play Skyrim but first! Time for some out of the box thinking. Assume the following:

- Cap is settled somewhere between $65-67 million.
- We have a half season; 48 games

Cory Schneider

Jake Gardiner
Joffrey Lupul
Conditional 1st 2014 (Based on if Lupul signs; defaults to a lesser pick or removed entirely if he stays)
-----------

Keith Ballard
Low pick

Fran Nielsen
------

Whether in the off season or in an immediate subsequent trade, Gardiner is flipped to acquire some of the following:

Edmonton: Hemsky+
Chicago: Any slew of their promising forward prospects
Philadelphia: Voracek
Detroit: Franzen+
Anaheim: Ryan (Doubt it under the circumstances)

The theory here we use a buyout on Booth, replacing him with the aforementioned, who better address our lack of size or playmaking on Kesler's wing. In addition, Gardiner gives us insurance should Edler or Lupul walk, neither I believe would. All this gives us a potential 2013 roster of:

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Joffrey Lupul ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Frans Nielsen ($2.750m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Dale Weise ($0.615m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Kevin Connauton ($0.900m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,868,333; BONUSES: $185,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $4,516,667
----------

Evidently, the cap needs to be a little high but we could forgo the Nielsen trade, dump or buyout Ballard and roll Schroeder on that line, pushing us noteworthy under $65 million. If Lupul did walk, we simply retain Booth and the rest stays the same. Toronto gets their goalie and we address more or less all our needs. Admittedly, the third pairing is a bit spotty but we have managed with less.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Has any new information surfaced lately?

But even then, if Phoenix moves after this season (if there is a season), Doan's contract becomes much worse.
$5.3 mil for a declining 37 year old signed until 2016, and the salary cap is dropping. Ehhh...
Rumour has it the NHL is planning an exit strategy. Mostly I'm just bored and it seemed a reasonable discussion.

I agree with the points you made. Something tells me that we'd only be interested in that contract if he came here before this season. I wonder what kind of assurances he was made when he signed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Where are you getting information that PHX is definitely on the move?
Where did I say they were definitely on the move?

Old
01-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Just for the record I think the commonly held belief among those who follow the stat is that players rarely have a direct impact on the on ice save percentage stat.

In other words its far more likely that Oduya was fortunate to avoid getting lit up than it is that he singlehandedly drove down the quality of chances of the five opposing skaters on the ice.
Considering his goalies, I think that's a fair assumption.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

I meant to post this here and will get it right this time!

One more wrinkle that actually gets us under a $65M cap. Evidently, not as enticing as the first but why not throw it out. For reference sake this operates under (Gardiner+Kadri+Franson for Schnedier, then Gardiner for Voracek)

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Nazem Kadri ($1.720m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Cody Franson ($0.840m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
GOALTENDERS
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,763,333; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $6,286,667

Old
01-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Well thats too bad for Doan now isn't it....

Old
01-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Tanev-Franson both play right-side, and Edler-Garrison both play left, but w/e.

And if we traded Schneider then started Lack over Luongo, that would be an epic troll.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Rumour has it the NHL is planning an exit strategy. Mostly I'm just bored and it seemed a reasonable discussion.

I agree with the points you made. Something tells me that we'd only be interested in that contract if he came here before this season. I wonder what kind of assurances he was made when he signed?

Where did I say they were definitely on the move?

My mistake, where is the information about the NHL planning an exit strategy?

Old
01-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Tanev-Franson both play right-side, and Edler-Garrison both play left, but w/e.

And if we traded Schneider then started Lack over Luongo, that would be an epic troll.
Whoops, dammit Capgeek. It would be hilarious though.

Anywho, I think both could play in the assigned positions without too much issue. Franson is mostly a buy low cover if Connauton isn't ready. Voracek and Kadri would be the main pieces.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
I'm bored, it's Saturday and I ought to play Skyrim but first! Time for some out of the box thinking. Assume the following:

- Cap is settled somewhere between $65-67 million.
- We have a half season; 48 games

Cory Schneider

Jake Gardiner
Joffrey Lupul
Conditional 1st 2014 (Based on if Lupul signs; defaults to a lesser pick or removed entirely if he stays)
-----------

Keith Ballard
Low pick

Fran Nielsen
------

Whether in the off season or in an immediate subsequent trade, Gardiner is flipped to acquire some of the following:

Edmonton: Hemsky+
Chicago: Any slew of their promising forward prospects
Philadelphia: Voracek
Detroit: Franzen+
Anaheim: Ryan (Doubt it under the circumstances)

The theory here we use a buyout on Booth, replacing him with the aforementioned, who better address our lack of size or playmaking on Kesler's wing. In addition, Gardiner gives us insurance should Edler or Lupul walk, neither I believe would. All this gives us a potential 2013 roster of:

Evidently, the cap needs to be a little high but we could forgo the Nielsen trade, dump or buyout Ballard and roll Schroeder on that line, pushing us noteworthy under $65 million. If Lupul did walk, we simply retain Booth and the rest stays the same. Toronto gets their goalie and we address more or less all our needs. Admittedly, the third pairing is a bit spotty but we have managed with less.

Not a big fan of trading Schneider since it's pretty clear Luongo should be the one going.

And honestly I doubt the Leafs accept, and even if they did I wouldn't trade Gardiner for Hemsky+ or a few prospects fromt he Hawks, I would do Voracek for Gardiner though if they would (Which is a unlikely IMO) and we would have to add more to get Ryan, probably Kassian and something else honestly, so it's a nice thought but unlikely IMO.

The Islanders trade is decent aslong as we can get a defensemen to replace Ballard, you also wonder if NYI would accept the deal. Nielsen has been a really good player for them.

I also don't see a point of buying out Booth, if we are going to buy out someone it should be Ballard as I think Booth has a bit more value ina trade at this point.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If it's the package I mentioned then I'd rather keep Luongo. If Toronto is offering Lupul + but Chicago is offering Kane I'd take Kane in a heartbeat. But if Toronto is offering Lupul and Chicago is offering Bolland, I take Toronto's offer.
I don't think Chicago would offer Kane for Luongo, I also don't think Toronto would offer Lupul. Not to interested in taking Lupul anyways since he is a pending UFA and who knows what will happen, also not a fan at all of getting Bolland, and thankfully I doubt the organization wants Bolland either.

We should look at prospects/picks/young players coming back our way IMO, it will help our cap situation with the salary cap coming down and it will also perhaps give us the space needed to re-sign Edler (Which is way more important IMO then holding out & trying to get the absolute best deal for Lu)

I think we should try to get Kadri, Biggs then maybe add a pick or other prospect. It would really add assets to the prospect pool which is the weakest area of our organization and would give us some hope in the future rather than having to overpay for average UFA's to fill the roster while our top guys deteriorate like Calgary.

So for example: Kadri, Biggs, conditional 1st/2nd+3rd for Luongo.

*Condidition is that if they make the playoffs we get there 1st, if they miss the playoffs we get there 2nd and 3rd.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I've already said I hadn't watched much of Vokoun in Nashville. But while he was there his average sv% was .911. In Florida it was .923.

Lehtonen's average sv% before being traded to Dallas was also .911. Currently Vokoun in my mind is a top-7 goaltender in the league, having radically improved since going to Florida. However at the time of the trade he looked far more like a fairly good goalie, but to compare his calibre then to Luongo's(who in my opinion is a top-5, and by any standards is top-7) now seems quite ridiculous in my mind.

You can accuse me of stat-watching, and you'd be right, but I can't see how a difference of .911 to Luongo's current .919 average can be explained without there being a clear difference in calibre.

If Vokoun's value was a 1st, a 2nd, and another conditional 2nd, then I have no doubt in my mind that Luongo should garner more than that, if there is a team with genuine need for him(no, not Florida, but Toronto, Chicago, etc...)
Again, you're wrong on your assessment of Vokoun, but no big deal. We'll continue to disagree on Louie's value, but no ones sure until the trade happens. Someone's always left scratching their head one way or another around here.

01-06-2013, 08:25 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Since the Canucks showed interest in Jochen Hecht prior to the lockout, you guys think he's still worth considering?

In his brief stint with Adler Mannheim of the German DEL he put up some pretty decent numbers: 12 points (4 / 8) in 5 games played. Worth mentioning that he played on a line with Jason Pominville and Marcel Goc, but still.

Is he an option?

Closed Thread