HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Official Bears Thread #14 - Historic collapse complete, Lovie fired

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Holmgren went to the playoffs 5 years in a row and won the NFC West 4 years in a row and made the Super Bowl. Thats not great? In Cleveland he was the President not the head coach, and he ruined the Browns? They were 4-12 and 5-11 in the 2 seasons before he took over. After he took over they went 5-11, 4-12, 5-11...if anything they stayed the same.
Holmgren wants control beyond HC

The Seahawks weren't successful until he was terminated as GM and removed from personel moves

His 4 yrs as coach/GM

yr 1 = 9-7
yr 2 = 6-10
yr 3 = 9-7
yr 4 = 7-9

He went to Cleveland to control things ,, Reason he left Seattle was because he wanted control back (Which was never happening)

As a coach = Sure great

But he wont sign on to be just a coach so that makes him non-starter for Bears

Quote:
Holmgren took the Seahawks to their first postseason since 1988 during his first season with the club in 1999, breaking a 10-year playoff drought. Holmgren posted a 72-56 (56.3%) regular-season record, four consecutive NFC West Division titles, an NFC championship, and the Seahawks' first-ever berth in a Super Bowl. What a disaster he was in Seattle.
Erickson had the Seahawks on cusp of playoffs but was blessed with nothing quality at QB

Mirer , Friesz and Warren Moon on decline

Erickson went 8-8 during 3 of his 4 seasons as coach (7-9 other year) ,, Holmgren going 9-7 with team Erickson built and upgrade at QB (Kitna) isn't all that impressive

Old
01-04-2013, 04:55 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
yea he's not accurate or anything, just the 5th most accurate qb of all time(ahead of brady). and he's always been a master of throwing the ball where his guy could make a play on it and that's still been true in Denver. judging by your comments though, it seems clear you don't watch him or the nfl in general very much.
Completion percentage does not always equal accuracy.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Manning had very good accuracy per say ,, He also had tendency to put his WR"s in horrid spots

Austin Collie for instance has had his career ruined taking shots going across middle of field as Manning led him into harms way

Old
01-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Recoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
yea he's not accurate or anything, just the 5th most accurate qb of all time(ahead of brady). and he's always been a master of throwing the ball where his guy could make a play on it and that's still been true in Denver. judging by your comments though, it seems clear you don't watch him or the nfl in general very much.
Enough. Yes, I have. Yes, I do.

The accuracy I'm referring to is NOT who has the best completion percentage, OK? Yes, that has a lot to do with getting the ball in the right spot, but it also has a lot to do with having guys around you good enough to catch it.

I'm simply talking about "does he put the ball in the absolute best spot for his WR to make a catch every time" regardless of if its caught or not. His brother is TERRIBLE at this. Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are two of the best ever at it. Peyton is good at it, I never said he wasn't, but I did say there are others better in the NFL at it than him right now. That's a true statement. Especially this season, where he clearly isn't the same QB he was 2 seasons ago. (anyone who thinks otherwise is the one not watching enough Peyton Manning).

So enough of the snarky "I can tell you don't watch football" wharrgarbl.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Manning had very good accuracy per say ,, He also had tendency to put his WR"s in horrid spots

Austin Collie for instance has had his career ruined taking shots going across middle of field as Manning led him into harms way
THAT is what I'm talking about. He tends to sail the ball a bit high and as a result his WRs get killed. If he gets those throws down, the WRs are more protected.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:32 PM
madgoat33

Quote:

1 guy in a 14 year career is your evidence?
lets see what broncos receivers say http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-br...denver-broncos
Quote:
...Manning's accuracy was impeccable. He put throws in tight spots and consistently made it easy for his receivers. Working primarily with wide receivers Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker, and tight ends Jacob Tamme and Joel Dreessen, Manning put throw after throw into the tight window between the top of their shoulders and the top of their waist.

"Tim was a running quarterback where sometimes you would see the ball coming out of your break and sometimes you were doing an adjustment because he broke the pocket," Thomas said. "Peyton is a pocket quarterback where you're getting the ball coming out of your break every single time."

Old
01-04-2013, 05:35 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
THAT is what I'm talking about. He tends to sail the ball a bit high and as a result his WRs get killed. If he gets those throws down, the WRs are more protected.
yea, or the passes don't get there. Manning has always been known for his precision, ability to throw into tight spots and throw his guys open.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Illinihockey

@ZachZaidman: RT @MikeGarafolo: Sounds like Mike Sullivan and Bears had very good meeting the other day. Went six hours, about twice as long as expected.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:06 PM
ndgt10

Want Holmgren or Chip Kelly

Old
01-04-2013, 07:46 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
@ZachZaidman: RT @MikeGarafolo: Sounds like Mike Sullivan and Bears had very good meeting the other day. Went six hours, about twice as long as expected.
Oh ****...

If it's not McCoy, a Gruden, Arians or Shanhan, I don't see myself getting excited.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:18 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Damien Williams, OU, gotta get that guy somehow.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:18 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
Want Holmgren or Chip Kelly
Pretty much on par with your Hawks opinions. That is, two of the worst choices we could make.

I really have full faith in Emery to make the right choice on this one.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:15 AM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
have you watched Manning at all the past like 8 seasons? his ball placement is generally about as perfect as it gets.

cutler on the other hand throws the balk all over the place. high, low, behind guys, etc...
Quote:
Yeah I don't see how anyone can say Peyton Manning isn't one of the most accurate passers. Reggie and Marvin were/are awesome, but Manning made them that much better. Watch highlight videos of either receiver.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:22 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:

Seriously?! If your theory had any truth to it Reggie Wayne would be dead. Manning deserves another SB win and I hope he gets it.

I remember saying last year I wish the Bears didn't have Cutler and could make a play for him, I took quite the bashing.

Bears would have gone further with him at the helm, it would of negated Tice's faults.

Old
01-05-2013, 04:30 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:

First of all this statement is ridiculous because it just isn't true about Manning. He is plain and simply the best passer of a football of all time. He is amazing with his timing, accuracy, pace, everything.

Second, sometimes a WR goes places where it doesn't matter where a QB throws a ball they will take a shot. People say a QB put a WR in harms way, it's a WR job to go into harms way. It's a QB's job to get them the ball, if they take a hit then so be it.

Old
01-05-2013, 04:36 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Enough. Yes, I have. Yes, I do.

The accuracy I'm referring to is NOT who has the best completion percentage, OK? Yes, that has a lot to do with getting the ball in the right spot, but it also has a lot to do with having guys around you good enough to catch it.

I'm simply talking about "does he put the ball in the absolute best spot for his WR to make a catch every time" regardless of if its caught or not. His brother is TERRIBLE at this. Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are two of the best ever at it. Peyton is good at it, I never said he wasn't, but I did say there are others better in the NFL at it than him right now. That's a true statement. Especially this season, where he clearly isn't the same QB he was 2 seasons ago. (anyone who thinks otherwise is the one not watching enough Peyton Manning).

So enough of the snarky "I can tell you don't watch football" wharrgarbl.
WHAT?

Other then passing yards this is Peytons best season since 2004. He has more TD, fewer INT, better COMP %, better YPA, better rating then any other year. He is also no longer playing with 2 great WR in Wayne and Harrison, no longer in a dome for 9+ games a year and didn't play last year. Take everything into account and this is probably his best year ever.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
WHAT?

Other then passing yards this is Peytons best season since 2004. He has more TD, fewer INT, better COMP %, better YPA, better rating then any other year. He is also no longer playing with 2 great WR in Wayne and Harrison, no longer in a dome for 9+ games a year and didn't play last year. Take everything into account and this is probably his best year ever.
Stop looking at the stats, I'm not. WATCH him play. WATCH him throw. He has almost no zip on his ball this year, and about 50% of them are actually spirals. I haven't seen him THROW the ball worse in his career. Now, if you read what I said, the ball still gets to the guy he wants to get it to, but his arm/mechanics are NOT the same as they were 2 seasons ago. Regardless, Peyton Manning still does all the other things better than anyone else --- reading defenses, calling audibles, making quick decisions, so he is still very effective. That doesn't mean though that his arm is the same. It just isn't.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:11 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
I've always thought that Manning threw a wobbler. It's never mattered, the results are there, I just have never thought he's thrown the cleanest ball.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:53 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Stop looking at the stats, I'm not. WATCH him play. WATCH him throw. He has almost no zip on his ball this year, and about 50% of them are actually spirals. I haven't seen him THROW the ball worse in his career. Now, if you read what I said, the ball still gets to the guy he wants to get it to, but his arm/mechanics are NOT the same as they were 2 seasons ago. Regardless, Peyton Manning still does all the other things better than anyone else --- reading defenses, calling audibles, making quick decisions, so he is still very effective. That doesn't mean though that his arm is the same. It just isn't.
Early on in the season he looked a bit rusty, which makes sense. I have not noticed that as much the past 8 games.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Bears are going to interview Marc Trestman

Coach of Montreal (CFL)

Old
01-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Bears are going to interview Marc Trestman

Coach of Montreal (CFL)
He sure meant it when he said he would interview candidates from all areas.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bear...uture-contract

Bears sign WR Brittan Golden to reserve/future contract

Golden was with Bears in preseason and spent final weeks of this NFL season on Jaguars practice squad

Old
01-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Trestman apparantly was Cutler's tutor leading up to his draft selection

So that means Trestman and Cutler have some sorta relationship

Old
01-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
The lack of zip was only really an issue the first 4 weeks or so. After that he has looked and played like the Peyton of old.

Your arguing style, who cares if he throws the worst looking passes, they get completed for TD and his team wins. It's like people complaining about Hasek because he didn't play goalie the "proper" way.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
The lack of zip was only really an issue the first 4 weeks or so. After that he has looked and played like the Peyton of old.

Your arguing style, who cares if he throws the worst looking passes, they get completed for TD and his team wins. It's like people complaining about Hasek because he didn't play goalie the "proper" way.
Actually I thought I made it pretty clear that I was arguing style and not stats. If you ask Peyton, he will probably tell you he's at 80% of what it was. Still good enough for Top 5 in the NFL, but he doesn't have the arm he did 2 seasons ago. That's been my point the entire time.

Closed Thread