HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Cherry: CHL should stop letting Americans and Europeans to play in CHL (merged)

Old
01-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Why is bigotry and xenophobia acceptable in hockey? I'll never understand it.
I don't think it's acceptable in hockey so much as it's acceptable in Canada for some reason. Had any ESPN analyst said this regardless of who it was, in the U.S. he would have been crucified. As far as I've heard there has been no backlash against Don Cherry.

Also, you can't keep glossing over the fact that there are CHL teams in the U.S. Maybe you can ban Euros from playing, but I think U.S. kids will always be able to.

If anything actually came down about this (it won't) I am pretty sure the AHL would change to being the NAHL.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:41 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

My sides

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:41 PM
BeerMe

Why stop there? why not have each province/state have its own exclusive development league? or each city?

Personally, I think it should go by neighborhood. I'm tired of all these schmucks from Upper Arlington cutting their teeth on Grandview Heights' turf.

BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:42 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
Notwithstanding the fact that 24 of the 30 NHL teams aren't even in Canada, this is possibly the most ignorant suggestion I have ever heard.

Segregation in hockey? Really?
I wasn't aware Atlanta still had a team.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I don't think it's acceptable in hockey so much as it's acceptable in Canada for some reason. Had any ESPN analyst said this regardless of who it was, in the U.S. he would have been crucified. As far as I've heard there has been no backlash against Don Cherry.

Also, you can't keep glossing over the fact that there are CHL teams in the U.S. Maybe you can ban Euros from playing, but I think U.S. kids will always be able to.

If anything actually came down about this (it won't) I am pretty sure the AHL would change to being the NAHL.
I've seen nothing but hordes of Canadians rip this guy to shreds. Don't paint the country and its hockey fans with such a broad brush, it starts to bring you to the level of the OP

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:44 PM
smitty10

1. Don Cherry should credit the USA for his success in life. Not only did he get the national stage because he coached the Boston Bruins and Colorado Rockies, but he also played over 800 career games (regular season and playoffs) in the American Hockey League.

2. When he owned/coached the Mississauga Ice Dogs (OHL) he abstained from participating in the Import Draft and didn't dress a single non-Canadian in the 1998-99, 1999-00 and 2000-01 seasons. In those seasons his teams finished: 4-61-3 (98/99), 9-56-1-2 (99/00) and 3-56-7-2 (00/01). This is the guy that we should be listening to...

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
I've seen nothing but hordes of Canadians rip this guy to shreds. Don't paint the country and its hockey fans with such a broad brush, it starts to bring you to the level of the OP
I meant from the organization. Has HNIC said anything? Of course regular people will rip him but are there any actual consequences like there would be here?

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
1. Don Cherry should credit the USA for his success in life. Not only did he get the national stage because he coached the Boston Bruins and Colorado Rockies, but he also played over 800 career games (regular season and playoffs) in the American Hockey League.

2. When he owned/coached the Mississauga Ice Dogs (OHL) he abstained from participating in the Import Draft and didn't draft a single non-Canadian in the 1998-99, 1999-00 and 2001-02 seasons. In those seasons his teams finished: 4-61-3 (98/99), 9-56-1-2 (99/00) and 3-56-7-2 (00/01). This is the guy that we should be listening to...
Yikes

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CoolForumNamePending

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
Notwithstanding the fact that 24 of the 30 NHL teams aren't even in Canada, this is possibly the most ignorant suggestion I have ever heard.

Segregation in hockey? Really?
I just woke up. What Canadian city with an NHL team did you guys annex while I was sleeping.

CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:47 PM
HLLYWD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Price is Right View Post
Considering a lot of players from USA, Russia, Sweden etc... play in the CHL and then end up being better than Canada is horrible. CHL should stop letting all the foreigners come and play here in Canada. It is called the Canadian Hockey League for a reason? It should just be for Canadians. They are developing opponent players which is crazy and then they take our strategies and beat us..

I got nothing against Americans and Europeans. It is just my opinion that Swedes should play in the SEL, Russians in KHL, Finnish in SM-Liga, Americans in NCAA or USHL and Canadians in CHL.

Swedes would get coached and trained by Swedish personnel and Russians and all the countries would get coached and trained by people from their country.
The CHL is the best junior hockey league in the world because they go out and recruit and develop the best junior players in the world.

Whats next only North Americans in the NHL with Americans on US teams and Canadians on Canadian teams.

The NBA and MLB should follow suit!

I am guessing you don't have a CHL team where you are and you figure you have all the answers for the CHL and the Canadian game.

I live in Owen Sound and have had the pleasure of PAYING to watch the likes of Bobby Ryan and many others.

Your opinion on this subject is moronic!

HLLYWD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:48 PM
dougiebrown

Sorry Toronto Raptors, Toronto Blue Jays and CFL. Y'all are going to have to fold now.

dougiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:

2. When he owned/coached the Mississauga Ice Dogs (OHL) he abstained from participating in the Import Draft and didn't dress a single non-Canadian in the 1998-99, 1999-00 and 2000-01 seasons. In those seasons his teams finished: 4-61-3 (98/99), 9-56-1-2 (99/00) and 3-56-7-2 (00/01). This is the guy that we should be listening to...

Wow, I completely forgot about how pathetic Cherry's performance was in the OHL! Thanks for reminding me.

01-05-2013, 12:50 PM
CoolForumNamePending

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiebrown View Post
Sorry Toronto Raptors, Toronto Blue Jays and CFL. Y'all are going to have to fold now.
While you're at it please put us out of our misery and fold the Leafs as well.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:50 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
Yikes
Yeah. He knows what he's talking about though

Old
01-05-2013, 12:51 PM
tfong

If anything we should more than two imports per team, gives more incentive for overseas players which encourage more of them to move to the NHL rather than stay in the KHL.

What the heck was with this regionalist thinking? We would get guys like Yakupov or Grigs.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:53 PM
jsykes

Ok, I guess we won't let any Canadians into the AHL. They've made more players ready for the NHL than anyone and its a place for Canadians not good enough to still make money playing hockey.

From here on out only Americans in the American Hockey League.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:54 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Wow, I completely forgot about how pathetic Cherry's performance was in the OHL! Thanks for reminding me.
The London Knights won 3 fewer consecutive games this year than his team won in 4 years. He's a joke.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Ceff Jarter
Registered Duster

The NCAA would gladly welcome elite foreign talent. So are people who are agreeing with him saying: "yes we would make our junior leagues worse for the additional national pride when we win international tournaments" ???

Ceff Jarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:56 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
This was the first 3 seasons of an expansion team,what do you expect.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Ok, I guess we won't let any Canadians into the AHL. They've made more players ready for the NHL than anyone and its a place for Canadians not good enough to still make money playing hockey.

Bit of a difference between the CHL and AHL though....sure, development happens in both leagues, but no one gets drafted out of the AHL (I don't think).

CHL = our version of the NCAA

AHL = CFL, or where lesser pros end up when they can't make the bigs (NFL)

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Ceff Jarter
Registered Duster

Quote:

Someone should tweet that to him

I have no problem with accepting Canadian Junior leagues as the best in the world but it is ridiculous to attribute ALL of the foreign success to the CHL. Especially when the players on USA or other teams have only been in the CHL for a few months!

Ceff Jarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CoolForumNamePending

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
At least 17 wins.

Old
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post

And players from the islands shouldn't be allowed in the Kontinental Hockey League! All Canadians from Newfoundland, Labrador, PEI ect. must be kicked out from the KHL.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
More than sixteen wins, that's for sure.

I wonder how many non-Canadians play for Team Cherry whenever he does that charity game with Bobby Orr? Anyone know?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:03 PM
smitty10

Quote:
For him to build a successful team? Expansion teams in the CHL aren't the same as NHL expansion teams. They come into a league and can pick imports, Americans and Canadian talent. He decided against picking Europeans and Americans who could have made this team a heck of a lot more successful than they were and decided to stick with his "good ole Canadian boys' who were (for the most part) a bunch of plugs. Don Cherry cherishes a 4th line checker or a talented player and he filled his team with them. His 'heart and sole' players didn't do much for him at all and rather than strengthening his team with players born outside of Canada, he just let them lose and stuck to his bigoted statements and ways.

It just goes to show how little he actually knows.