HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Cherry: CHL should stop letting Americans and Europeans to play in CHL (merged)

Old
01-05-2013, 01:04 PM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
More than sixteen wins, that's for sure.

I wonder how many non-Canadians play for Team Cherry whenever he does that charity game with Bobby Orr? Anyone know?
When I went to the Prospects game at the ACC a few years ago he had Jurco and Rieder on his team for sure. Don't remember who else though.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:05 PM
black charger

Isn't the NCAA exibiting a form of protectionism by not allowing CHL players.Only Canadian tier 2(jr a)players are eligable.If CHL players were allowed in doesn't anyone think they would flock to the NCAA to play hockey and get an education at the same time.This would take alot of scholarships away from American kids.Which is no different than the OP's statement.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:07 PM
jameswrjobe53

vCash: 492
Removing Europeans from the CHL? ehh okay
but Americans cant be removed from the CHL when you are using our cities!
Also NHL players shouldnt be taking roster spots from Europeans or minor leaguers during this lockout.

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:09 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
For him to build a successful team? Expansion teams in the CHL aren't the same as NHL expansion teams. They come into a league and can pick imports, Americans and Canadian talent. He decided against picking Europeans and Americans who could have made this team a heck of a lot more successful than they were and decided to stick with his "good ole Canadian boys' who were (for the most part) a bunch of plugs. Don Cherry cherishes a 4th line checker or a talented player and he filled his team with them. His 'heart and sole' players didn't do much for him at all and rather than strengthening his team with players born outside of Canada, he just let them lose and stuck to his bigoted statements and ways.

It just goes to show how little he actually knows.
I don't think the allowed 2 imports would actually improved things that much.He prefers "heart" type players and you need a combination of skill and heart to win.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:13 PM
J Murda

vCash: 544
To me, this thread is absurd. Personally, I care more about watching the best possible hockey than watching my country win year after year. Having import players and Americans makes the leagues more competitive and it is better for the all around game...and there is no doubt the game is getting better overall.

The Americans winning, I can see, has made some fellow Canadians feel pretty threatened. To me, this is something that we've seen coming a long way away and they will only get even better as the years go on. I remember playing in a bantam tournament about 15 years ago and we had a game against Team Wisconsin and most of my team was surprised they even played there. We beat them pretty easily back then and we were only a AA team, but this year the Carolina Jr Hurricanes came within 12 seconds of winning the Macs Major Midget tournament. Americans are getting really good and they are coming from more places than before and I don't think it matters if they all played in the USHL, NAHL, high school or whatever, they are still going to pump out awesome players every year. I think we're lucky to have them in the CHL. Maybe that has a little to do with keeping our 'enemies' close, but also because because it's fascinating to watch them play and progress.

Typically, only top Euro players come over anyways which only makes the quality of the game increase and forces the homegrown boys to play at a higher level. I don't believe in any of that crap about stealing some kids spot on the roster. If you can't make the team, you can't make the team. Simple as that. The junior A leagues are still very good quality hockey. The European junior programs are doing a great job these days and so many of the players are staying home anyways.

Anyways, I know this has been a little bit of a scattered rant but what I'm trying to get to here is that I believe Hockey Canada needs to take a look within instead of blaming other countries for getting too good on our soil. I think we should be looking at a bigger picture and trying to improve the whole program and mentality from the ground up. We are a country that produces a lot of the top players in the world, but I believe that pool could be a lot deeper. If you look at the amount of registered players in Russia and in Canada (numbers I dont have on me at the moment), you'll notice Canada has a ton more, but the top talent pool is pretty similar(I have been paying a lot of attention to Russian hockey this year and can't deny they have so much talent there). I think there are an abundance of kids every year that are playing lower level hockey that have the potential to become top level athletes, but they are not getting the proper guidance or opportunities and they fall through the cracks. I think a solution is to make the whole program stronger as apposed to just making our elite program stronger and I don't think we need to show these foreign kids the door just because they want to chase their dreams.

J Murda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
And players from the islands shouldn't be allowed in the Kontinental Hockey League! All Canadians from Newfoundland, Labrador, PEI ect. must be kicked out from the KHL.
On that note, who spells "continental" with a k, anyways?

They should change their league name to the CHL.

Then Cherry can stop complaining. Or complain even louder, whichever.

01-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
I can't believe a serious discussion spawned out of this thread... come on HFBoards.

Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
Notwithstanding the fact that 24 of the 30 NHL teams aren't even in Canada, this is possibly the most ignorant suggestion I have ever heard.

Segregation in hockey? Really? Listen to what you're saying.
There are 23 American teams and 7 Canadian teams. Thanks to the NHL's desperate move of saving the Coyotes (which makes no sense) there aren't 8 teams.

But that is hardly the point. It makes no sense to train other countries how to play the game our way. Segregation isn't the best word for this. If they are from Sudan and can play in the NHL then let them play. But that isn't the point. If the programs in Europe are so good they wouldn't send their boys over here to be properly coached and trained. The Russians never used to do it and I prefered it that way. It was more of a "you train yours, we'll train ours and then we see who's better" train of thought. There was a little bit more mystery in it. Why would Europeans be so afraid to not send their players over here anymore? Poor systems back at home? If so, that isn't Canada's problem. But Hockey Canada gets a lot of money to have Europeans come over here. Make no mistake, it is about the almighty dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Are you only referring to those that make the World Junior roster and go on to the NHL?
Yes.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:17 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
More than sixteen wins, that's for sure.

I wonder how many non-Canadians play for Team Cherry whenever he does that charity game with Bobby Orr? Anyone know?
3 this year.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:18 PM
HLLYWD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruktbomb View Post
I'm not a Canadian, but I'm sure many Team Canada fans agree that the WJC is a much more exciting and entertaining event now that there are multiple competitive countries and it's not Canadian domination year after year. Even though Finland had a disappointing campaign this year I really enjoyed the tournament because there were so many tight and entertaining games.

Parity is our friend.
great post cause its true

HLLYWD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:40 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Isn't the NCAA exibiting a form of protectionism by not allowing CHL players.Only Canadian tier 2(jr a)players are eligable.If CHL players were allowed in doesn't anyone think they would flock to the NCAA to play hockey and get an education at the same time.This would take alot of scholarships away from American kids.Which is no different than the OP's statement.
Major Junior isn't a true amateur league, therefore they aren't treated and viewed as amateur players by the NCAA. Any given CHL roster at any given time has a multitude of guys that have already signed NHL contracts, and thus been compensated with a signing bonus, which no longer makes them amateur players. It's a little bit of guilt by association for the guys that have not signed pro deals, but it's a pandora's box that the NCAA simply isn't willing to open.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:41 PM
CoolForumNamePending

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLLYWD99 View Post
great post cause its true
To be honest I don't really buy the idea that the tournament is a whole lot more competitive or that there is considerable more parity now than 5, 10 or 15 years ago. IMHO the tournament from a competition standpoint is about as uninsteresting as it has always been. People are acting like this is the first time Canada has gone a handful of years without winning. It wasn't even a decade ago that Canada went 7 years between gold medals.

CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post
To be honest I don't really buy the idea that the tournament is a whole lot more competitive or that there is considerable more parity now than 5, 10 or 15 years ago. IMHO the tournament from a competition standpoint is about as uninsteresting as it has always been. People are acting like this is the first time Canada has gone a handful of years without winning. It wasn't even a decade ago that Canada went 7 years between gold medals.
I still remember it like it was yesterday. We choked away 3 gold medals in a row in the WJ and went 50 years without an Olympic gold. Then in less than a decade, we had 5 world junior titles in a row to go along with two Olympic golds. We're being hunted now and other nations are doing a good job at getting us.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:00 PM
LBC Vapo*

LBC Vapo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Stephen

Maybe Canadian development has gone a little stale over the years and we can learn some more from the USNTDP. Even if there isn't a problem there should be innovation happening in the development system anyway. Why is Shattuck Saint Mary's so good that our Canadian kids like Crosby and Mackinnon going down there? Anyway, let this be a good opportunity to improve as a country and stop using uneducated xenophobic excuses.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:04 PM
scythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Price is Right View Post
Considering a lot of players from USA, Russia, Sweden etc... play in the CHL and then end up being better than Canada is horrible. CHL should stop letting all the foreigners come and play here in Canada. It is called the Canadian Hockey League for a reason? It should just be for Canadians. They are developing opponent players which is crazy and then they take our strategies and beat us..

I got nothing against Americans and Europeans. It is just my opinion that Swedes should play in the SEL, Russians in KHL, Finnish in SM-Liga, Americans in NCAA or USHL and Canadians in CHL.

Swedes would get coached and trained by Swedish personnel and Russians and all the countries would get coached and trained by people from their country.
So by extension, should the NCAA stop letting Canadians play US college hockey? Should the KHL and other European leagues stop allowing locked out Canadian NHL'ers play in their leagues? Hey, I know, why don't we build giant walls around each country to keep foreigners out? By the way, what year is this? 2013? Just checking.

scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:16 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
Major Junior isn't a true amateur league, therefore they aren't treated and viewed as amateur players by the NCAA. Any given CHL roster at any given time has a multitude of guys that have already signed NHL contracts, and thus been compensated with a signing bonus, which no longer makes them amateur players. It's a little bit of guilt by association for the guys that have not signed pro deals, but it's a pandora's box that the NCAA simply isn't willing to open.
Are NCAA players prohibited from signing a pro contract?And if signed would that make them inelligable for play even if no money was involved?

Old
01-05-2013, 02:26 PM
NHL Dude 120

vCash: 109
Kind of a stupid topic

1. the CHL markets its self as the best developmental league in the world so , duh obvious they need to attract the best players in the world.

2. If i have to choose between a Russian prospect who is an elite prospect or a canadian in bantam, duh pick the Russian.

3. Development will stagnant. By keeping say Russians only in Russia , the development won't change the same rigid styles of play will still be there, players from other countries bring new styles of of play.

4. Illegal, well in regards to EU countries. The Bosman ruiling while mainly focused on soccer, could in theory be applied to EU countries. ( not sure if this was ever applied to Hockey but if anyone familiar please elaborate on if possible.)

If anything i'd get rid of the imports restrictions or at least set the limit to 5 players.

NHL Dude 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:28 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe View Post
So by extension, should the NCAA stop letting Canadians play US college hockey? Should the KHL and other European leagues stop allowing locked out Canadian NHL'ers play in their leagues? Hey, I know, why don't we build giant walls around each country to keep foreigners out? By the way, what year is this? 2013? Just checking.
Be a dick all you want, but I'm all for a national-only hockey world.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:33 PM
NHL Dude 120

vCash: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Be a dick all you want, but I'm all for a national-only hockey world.
Although I'm Canadian, Canada has no right to call Hockey their game.

NHL Dude 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Glory

I don't mind. Djurgården wouldn't have lost a guy like Landeskog to CHL and Sweden u20 would still do fine. Win/Win

Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:37 PM
17Kurri

If the CHL wants to continue to be considered the top development league for junior players, it needs to continue to be open to the top junior players from other countries. There's already protectionism going on with the import rules, there doesn't need to be any more.

That said, I don't necessarily think the development kink is at the major junior level. Players in younger age groups are getting left behind even further by their international peers, especially the Americans. Part of the problem in these younger age groups is our insistence sending regional teams, instead of the best of the best, like the other countries tend to.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Dosing

lol yea if sweden's 3 underachieving chl players were replaced by 3 homegrown boys we would have taken the gold

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:46 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

In a way, I agree with you. But on the other hand it is a ridiculously assessment. The OHL has teams in Pennsylvania and Michigan, and the WHL has teams in Washington and Oregon so there would have to be major reconstruction in those leagues that wouldn't be worth the risk and costs.

couture23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Are NCAA players prohibited from signing a pro contract?And if signed would that make them inelligable for play even if no money was involved?
Yes. Players who are drafted, but want to play in the NCAA do not sign a contract with an NHL team until they are ready to leave school. Once they sign a contract, or even hire an agent, they are ineligible to play.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote