HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Mats86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Still waiting on the NHL & NHLPA to make up their minds to sign or cancel the season.My gut feeling is the season will be cancelled.Not only a bad choice for all parties involved but it screws the Habs draft position.In that case, if Nicushkin is available at the Habs choice he should be their player.A power forward with his abilities,Speed,scoring touch and his style fits NA hockey to a tee.After his 3 year contract with the KHL he should be ready for the NHL and he would look great on a line with Galchenyuk and Collberg. Just my opinion but I think he's a good bet to excel at the power forward position wherever he plays.
No, pick won't be Nicushkin. Russians too high a risk to leave Montreal for KHL. This draft too valuable of a player to risk first round pick this way.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Nic is a very talented player. Hope he slips like grigs did in last years draft if we pick later

Old
01-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Et le But

Jones ends the tournament at a PPG pace. He was rough for the first half of the tournament but I think he cemented his place as the #1 pick.

Interestingly enough Ristolainen also finishes the tournament at a PPG. Ristolainen had twice as many goals and points as the great Morgan Reilly in the same number of games, as well as a higher +/-. Which is why if we are thinking about defense, and aren't drafting at 1, this is the guy to look at.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Jones ends the tournament at a PPG pace. He was rough for the first half of the tournament but I think he cemented his place as the #1 pick.

Interestingly enough Ristolainen also finishes the tournament at a PPG. Ristolainen had twice as many goals and points as the great Morgan Reilly in the same number of games, as well as a higher +/-. Which is why if we are thinking about defense, and aren't drafting at 1, this is the guy to look at.
That's a possibility as much as people don't want that. There are again a really interesting bunch of D's available. All depends where we are at.

As far as having more points than the great Rielly, well you have to be wrong. And anyway, doesn't matter, nobody will ever be as great as he is. Just like Justin Pogge (joking of course, Rielly will have a NHL career....).

Old
01-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Here is a guy we should be looking at in the 2nd/3rd round range...had a hot start then cooled off but lately he;'s been on fire...tall and skinny but a true sniper and good wheels.

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/roster/show/id/8483

Old
01-05-2013, 10:06 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Here is a guy we should be looking at in the 2nd/3rd round range...had a hot start then cooled off but lately he;'s been on fire...tall and skinny but a true sniper and good wheels.

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/roster/show/id/8483
He's a one year wonder. No thanks. He can thank Andrighetto for his amazing year. He's in the mould of the Massť/Riendeau, and even softer than that. Don't see it translate to the pros, not at all.

He's a no-draft for me.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
He's a one year wonder. No thanks. He can thank Andrighetto for his amazing year. He's in the mould of the Massť/Riendeau, and even softer than that. Don't see it translate to the pros, not at all.

He's a no-draft for me.
Agreed - as the last draft proved, every pick counts.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:56 AM
otto bond

Do you guys think we will pick in the top 5 come this summer?
Also, if given a chance to pick Jones, you can't pass that. If we do pick him, we can always make a move with other D prospect to a team in need.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Do you guys think we will pick in the top 5 come this summer?
Also, if given a chance to pick Jones, you can't pass that. If we do pick him, we can always make a move with other D prospect to a team in need.
You are going to have to pick top 1 to get Jones.

But yeah, the Habs aren't good enough to not pick BPA. And while Jones might not be the second coming of Larry Robinson, of an exceptionally good top 5 he's both the safest and arguably has the highest ceiling. Habs deep on D or not we don't have anyone in the system in the same league as Jones.

But even besides that, if we end up picking around 10 or something, I seriously think we should consider Ristolainen. Yes a forward should probably be priority, but after Drouin, Mackinnon, Lindholm, Barkov and Monahan, we need to at least consider D. And you can forget about Jones if you aren't drafting top 2.

Last edited by Et le But: 01-05-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old
01-05-2013, 11:42 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

But yeah, the Habs aren't good enough to not pick BPA. And while Jones might not be the second coming of Larry Robinson, of an exceptionally good top 5 he's both the safest and arguably has the highest ceiling. Habs deep on D or not we don't have anyone in the system in the same league as Jones.

But even besides that, if we end up picking around 10 or something, I seriously think we should consider Ristolainen. Yes a forward should probably be priority, but after Drouin, Mackinnon, Lindholm, Barkov and Monahan, we need to at least consider D. And you can forget about Jones if you aren't drafting top 2.
I agree. We have depth on defense but outside Subban none have real top2 upside. I doubt Beaulieu or Tinordi have what it takes to become more than solid NHLers while Risto and Jones are going to be stars (especially Jones!).

Old
01-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
My current top 10 for the Habs:

1. Jones
2. MacKinnon
3. Lindholm (chemistry with Collberg pushes him slightly ahead)
4. Barkov
5. Drouin
6. Monahan
7. Ristolainen
8. Shinkaruk
9. Erne
10. Pulock

3-4-5 is VERY close. And I still think MacKinnon is excellent despite this tournament. His QMJHL playoff run with a loaded Halifax squad will get everyone back on his bandwagon.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:18 PM
otto bond

Quote:

I douth we pick above 8-9 spot
The good news is that I beleive Drouin will be there come our time to pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
My current top 10 for the Habs:

1. Jones
2. MacKinnon
3. Lindholm (chemistry with Collberg pushes him slightly ahead)
4. Barkov
5. Drouin
6. Monahan
7. Ristolainen
8. Shinkaruk
9. Erne
10. Pulock

3-4-5 is VERY close. And I still think MacKinnon is excellent despite this tournament. His QMJHL playoff run with a loaded Halifax squad will get everyone back on his bandwagon.
I'll take Drouin....smart player with tone of skills. I do like Barkov and I wouldn't put Lindholm in the top 3 chemistry or not.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:21 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
The good news is that I beleive Drouin will be there come our time to pick.
I could see him being this year's incredible talent that drops for mysterious reasons a la Couturier, Fowler, Grigo, Forsberg ect.

There is no way Timmins pass over him unless we have a very high pick.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:27 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I could see him being this year's incredible talent that drops for mysterious reasons a la Couturier, Fowler, Grigo, Forsberg ect.

There is no way Timmins pass over him unless we have a very high pick.
I wouldn't be mad if Timmins picked him 1st overall. Even though at this point Jones is my clear #1. It would be a good pick nonetheless. Had Drouin ahead of Mack before the tournament, and still do.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

It's always about where we pick.....but I would be really cautious about Nichuskin. To this day, I didn't see a great hockey sense. And at higher level...this is a key to who makes it great or not. Not saying to not pick him. It will tough to not do so. But while my list is obviously not done....( I finish it the day before the draft...), he's not in my top 10 in 2013. Not even sure top 15. Might chance though but that's as of now. I've seen him continuously shooting at hockey pads this tournament, no lane whatsoever and the guy keeps shooting. Not even sure I saw one great pass from him. He looks big, I'd even say intimidating in a WJC tournament....imagine if the guy can grow a little more.....skates well and drives the net. But just saying, we should be careful.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:36 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It's always about where we pick.....but I would be really cautious about Nichuskin. To this day, I didn't see a great hockey sense. And at higher level...this is a key to who makes it great or not. Not saying to not pick him. It will tough to not do so. But while my list is obviously not done....( I finish it the day before the draft...), he's not in my top 10 in 2013. Not even sure top 15. Might chance though but that's as of now. I've seen him continuously shooting at hockey pads this tournament, no lane whatsoever and the guy keeps shooting. Not even sure I saw one great pass from him. He looks big, I'd even say intimidating in a WJC tournament....imagine if the guy can grow a little more.....skates well and drives the net. But just saying, we should be careful.
I know it wasn't totally Timmins' pick, but I don't think Trevor will fall in the same trap as he did in 2003 when he picked AK in the top10. Because I think Nichuskhin is the 2nd coming of AK, from what I've gathered at the WJC and other games he took part of before the tournament. Love the tools, but question the toolbox, as you do. As you wisely pointed out though, it depends of where we end up picking in the 1st. But I can definitely list 15 guys I'd prefer to him.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

For the Habs:
1) Jones
2) Drouin
3) MacKinnon
4) Barkov
5) Lindholm

I would personnaly trade up with our 2nd rounders to get in late 1st round Anthony Mantha or de la Rose or Valeri "Rick Nash" Nichushkin. My favorite prospect of the draft personally is Fucale. I want him in a Habs jersey. I would pick him top 10.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:48 PM
The Right Price

Ristolainen would be a really solid pick IMO.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

He's a no-draft for me.
Andrighetto has been gone for 8 games, Dea has gone 8-3-11 in that stretch.

Dea has a bigger frame(6') and skates much much better than Masse and Riendeau. Plus his production is miles ahead of them at 1.5 PPGM

Masse at 18 69 GP 26-30-56(0.81)
Riendeau at 18 67 GP 32-40-72(1.07)

He has the same stats as Mantha and is only 7 months older.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
I know it wasn't totally Timmins' pick, but I don't think Trevor will fall in the same trap as he did in 2003 when he picked AK in the top10. Because I think Nichuskhin is the 2nd coming of AK, from what I've gathered at the WJC and other games he took part of before the tournament. Love the tools, but question the toolbox, as you do. As you wisely pointed out though, it depends of where we end up picking in the 1st. But I can definitely list 15 guys I'd prefer to him.
I would say Nichushkin is a lot faster, but AK has a far better shot.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
For the Habs:
1) Jones
2) Drouin
3) MacKinnon
4) Barkov
5) Lindholm

I would personnaly trade up with our 2nd rounders to get in late 1st round Anthony Mantha or de la Rose or Valeri "Rick Nash" Nichushkin. My favorite prospect of the draft personally is Fucale. I want him in a Habs jersey. I would pick him top 10.
1) MacKinnon
2) Jones
3) Drouin
4) Lindholm (Collberg factor)
5) Barkov
6) Monahan

Old
01-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Et le But

While it's probably going to change, after today for me it's

1. Jones
2. Mackinnon
3. Lindholm
4. Drouin
5. Barkov
6. Monahan
7. Ristolainen
8. Shinkaruk
9. Pulock

Lindholm, Mac, Drouin and Barkov are effectively tied. Personally I'd still pick Lindholm and Barkov before Drouin but considering how close it is and the outrage that would come with picking a European when such a high end Quebec player is on the board I decided to be political and split the difference. Drouin is legit, even if I don't think he's the next Giroux.

Lindholm is probably my favourite right now though. He might lack Barkov's size or Mackinnon's speed but he has a little bit of everything the other forwards in question do, plays with fire and already has chemistry with Collberg. Of the class of 94, he impressed me the most in the WJC.

I still think Barkov is the most talented, and he will be great, but he needs to be able to speed his game up more to take over at the NHL level. I think Lindholm is a slightly better compliment to Gally, and that's where the tiebreaker falls for me.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:38 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:

1. Jones
2. Mackinnon
3. Lindholm
4. Drouin
5. Barkov
6. Monahan
7. Ristolainen
8. Shinkaruk
9. Pulock

Lindholm, Mac, Drouin and Barkov are effectively tied. Personally I'd still pick Lindholm and Barkov before Drouin but considering how close it is and the outrage that would come with picking a European when such a high end Quebec player is on the board I decided to be political and split the difference. Drouin is legit, even if I don't think he's the next Giroux.

Lindholm is probably my favourite right now though. He might lack Barkov's size or Mackinnon's speed but he has a little bit of everything the other forwards in question do, plays with fire and already has chemistry with Collberg. Of the class of 94, he impressed me the most in the WJC.

I still think Barkov is the most talented, and he will be great, but he needs to be able to speed his game up more to take over at the NHL level. I think Lindholm is a slightly better compliment to Gally, and that's where the tiebreaker falls for me.
Agree 100%. Maybe Erne over Pulock though.

Old
01-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:

1. Jones
2. Mackinnon
3. Lindholm
4. Drouin
5. Barkov
6. Monahan
7. Ristolainen
8. Shinkaruk
9. Pulock
I'd take Pulock 7th and if we couldn't get one of those 7, I'd look at trading our pick to Winnipeg for Trouba, providing he's willing to sign his ELC. They really don't have space for him on their roster and a top 10 pick could net them a player they want.

Old
01-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

A tough question for me, as of now, but still a lot of time to change, let say we do pick 6-10, not interested in a d-man and you have a choice between Monahan and Shinkaruk. As of now....I'd have no idea what to do. I hope the rest of the year makes me decide.

Closed Thread