HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Everything Canada (goaltending, coaching, future)

View Poll Results: ....
Yes 83 55.70%
No 41 27.52%
Maybe/Depends on the situation 25 16.78%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-05-2013, 02:33 PM
IIyx

vCash: 500
Oooh my predictions have fulfilled. Little suuban ate some pucks and got shot up like a ***** in the net by the russkies.

IIyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeLoBlue View Post
Subban is to blame, just like the rest of the team is. He wasn't the problem or the weak point of the team. The rest of them were just as accountable for us not medalling this year. He wasn't great, but he wasn't nor should he be considered the reason we did so bad this year.
Game, set, and match.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:36 PM
scythe

And then, as fate would have it, Binnington starts the bronze medal game and completely ***** the bed allowing 3 goals on 5 shots. That's not getting it done by any definition.

At least Spott had the good sense to call a timeout after the 2nd goal and change goalies after the 3rd goal which were all things he should have done in the game against the US.

This bronze medal game is entirely on Binnington's crap start.

scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:36 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
I don't believe that Canada's losses are because other teams are getting better. Canada is clearly getting worse; they're losing the heart and soul that they were famous for. It's like they don't even care anymore, whereas with the Gold medal teams it seemed like it was everything to them. They just don't have the same heart that they used to have.

Also the demeanor to this team was way too soft. You've got a soft-spoken coach, a soft-spoken captain, most of the top 6 is soft-spoken, Dougie Hamilton who was the most hyped D-man has a lot of Jay Bouwmeester in his game... yeah there were some players with grit but not enough to offset the overall passive nature of this team. Not only did teams embarrass Canada but they were pushing them around and making them look like *****es. That should never happen! Team Canada does NOT get bullied!

Personally I think we would have been better off if the lockout didn't happen. Maybe we'd be less skilled, but having guys like Hamilton, Strome and RNH leading the charge sets the tone for a team that is too timid and soft. I'd rather have Dumba and Pulock any day. Not to mention Shinkaruk, who could have actually gotten us a goal when we really needed one. Or Monahan who plays like he actually has a heart. I think we would have been better off with these guys.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:37 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Maybe you should read the comments on twitter.
Not talking about goofs on Twitter. Watch any game recap or post game comments after a Canada loss.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CanuckLuck

My lord....stay off the ledge people Canada will be okay for hockey...

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
danyhabsfan

He's too deep in his net.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Bure

Hey guys, I'd really appreciate if someone can link me to a full replay of the game that is free online.

Thanks a lot, cheers!

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

At least next year, we will have the best crop of goaltenders since a freaking while:

FUCALE!
COMRIE!
MARTIN!
DESROSIERS!
PHANEUF!

With Connor McDavid and Drouin as leading forwards, Monahan, Shinkaruk, it's gonna be a new breed of players..no more Scheifele divers.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe View Post
And then, as fate would have it, Binnington starts the bronze medal game and completely ***** the bed allowing 3 goals on 5 shots. That's not getting it done by any definition.

At least Spott had the good sense to call a timeout after the 2nd goal and change goalies after the 3rd goal which were all things he should have done in the game against the US.

This bronze medal game is entirely on Binnington's crap start.
Guess what....Spott good sense should have happen yesterday by sending Subban as the goalie. I don,t want to hear about Spott good sense after he also sent Rielly with Murphy on the ice at the same time.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Stephen

I think he should be blamed as much as the other failures on this team. People say you shouldn't ever blame the goalie because its the team that lets him down, but the test of a great goalie is one who will rescue his team and allow them to have a fighting chance. Subban just sunk to the level of his surroundings. I also didn't like how he looked flustered whenever he allowed a screened goal. Having seen a lot of Jonas Gustavsson these past few years, I can't see that kind of open frustration doing anything positive for the team psyche. In summary, he was just another problem on a deeply flawed and ill prepared team with no chemistry or killer instinct.

Binnington's preparation was a total disgrace, although it is understandable that a cold goalie would be so rusty.

Oh well, he's Boston's problem now!

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:46 PM
scythe

Binnington just made Subban look like Ken Dryden

Want to know why Canada lost to the Russians today? Jordan Binnington. 3 goals on 5 shots?

Subban may not have been great, but Binnington was terrible. That goal from the blue line was awful.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
soothsayer

I think that sometimes good goaltending is underrated for its impact on team play. If a goaltender is struggling, you can see it in the team. How many people, when watching the Canada vs. U.S.A game, felt that any shot an American made might have gone in? And did you feel anxious when the Americans were in the Canadian zone? Well, the players feel that anxiety too and it creeps into their game. While it is true the team played horribly, sometimes a goalie needs to stand on his head in order to allow his teammates to get their legs under them and build some confidence. Canada needs (needed) a goalie like Gibson who plays so well that his team is afforded the liberty of playing sloppy without dire consequences (this is not to say that team U.S.A didn't play amazing). Subban was shaky. He wasn't good. His poor play had a greater impact on the team's failure than any other individual player. So for me, Canada's biggest problem as far as player personnel goes was (is) goaltending.

soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Are highlights up anywhere?

Nevermind I got it. Ok let's see Binnington here.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:50 PM
ed bruin

just throwing Binnington out there to start after not seeing any game action in a while was such a bad move especially against a talented offensive team like Russia...

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
1ntrovert*

These guys are just kids give them a break.

1ntrovert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
A team with as much talent (look at some of the arrogance from before the tournament) as Canada shouldn't have to rely on perfect goaltending. Subban wasn't great and shouldn't be immune to criticism, but he was better than Visentin was previously.

Except for Gibson, any of the goalies of this tournament would have looked average behind such a mediocre Canadian team.
This is true, but in a short tournament there will be lapses even on a stacked team. Even in 1995, when Canada went in with all their locked out teenagers, Jamie Storr had to stand on his head on a number of occasions. In a team game its obviously a reciprocal relationship.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:51 PM
ed bruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntrovert View Post
These guys are just kids give them a break.
agree it was more of the coaches fault to just throw Binnington out there

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:53 PM
1ntrovert*

Even then they had a bad game who ****ing cares. We put way to much pressure on these kids for their age. If they lose they lose as long as there enjoying and learning from the expeirance it shouldn't matter.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:53 PM
scythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Are highlights up anywhere?

Nevermind I got it. Ok let's see Binnington here.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

You're right, he stinks. 3rd goal can't go in, 1st goal was absolutely brutal.

Perhaps it was a bit of a knee-jerk to go to Binnington.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:55 PM
scythe

It's funny, when it was Subban everyone was piling on. When it's Binnington everyone is saying give the kid a break. Hmmm....

Old
01-05-2013, 02:56 PM
1ntrovert*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe View Post
It's funny, when it was Subban everyone was piling on. When it's Binnington everyone is saying give the kid a break. Hmmm....
I was saying give the whole team a break not just biggy. I enjoyed watching them play and couldn't care less if they loss or not.

Subban had one bad game who ****ing cares. Name one goalie who has never had a bad game.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed bruin View Post
just throwing Binnington out there to start after not seeing any game action in a while was such a bad move especially against a talented offensive team like Russia...
I can see both sides of the argument.

On one hand, it's never an easy thing for a backup to spend so much time on the bench and then have to play in a big game like that. I guess that would be the sympathetic parent perspective.

But at the same time, you'd like to see a kid hungry for success who make the necessary preparations and rise to the occasion and show a little mental toughness. Binnington just seems like another mentally weak Canadian goalie we've grown accustomed to over the past few years.

In summary, the whole team was just off, maybe it will be nicer to have them go back to the drawing board instead of feeling good about a bronze medal.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:59 PM
scythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntrovert View Post
I was saying give the whole team a break not just biggy. I enjoyed watching them play and couldn't care less if they loss or not.

Subban had one bad game who ****ing cares. Name one goalie who has never had a bad game.
My comment was aimed more at the internet in general not just this thread.