HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 9.0 - #Goldchenyuk Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 11:17 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Congrats to USA on the win they earned it. Congrats to Galchenyuk for having an impressive debut to the U-20's although i'm not sure he'll be there in 2014 since hopefully the NHL is back by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Wow you guys... Blaming USA coaching and his linemates (USA was the best team btw) . Let just admit he didn't look as awesome as we hoped, no big deal
I can admit he didn't look as awesome as I had hoped he would and it's not a big deal since i've already seen a bunch of times what this kid can do but I still blame the coaching for Team USA as he is an elite talent and should have been used more, had a bigger role with the team. But in the end they won and their top line got hot when it mattered most, so it's easy to see why some would blame the coach while others wouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
Galchenyuk will most likely not play today, but will he play tomorrow against Niagara IceDogs?
No way, that's a long flight back home, let him rest a little and enjoy the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
And again, people will be divided between two groups. One that think he's a future superstar, who didn't play well because of Kuraly/Housley, and another one who believes he was the wrong pick and that we should have drafted future hall of famers like Rielly and Grigorenko.
I'm in the 1st group in that I think Galchenyuk is a future superstar but despite not looking his best still had a very good debut to the U-20's. His coach should have used him more since he's an elite offensive talent that can do it all but it worked out for USA in the end.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:34 AM
vipergtx18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Do not be surprised if he shows up as a mid to late 1st rounder.
your probly right, but im hoping he slides back under the radar when gally comes back

Old
01-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I understand people being disappointed Galchenyuk's play, but it can't go without saying that he was put in a situation where he couldn't be the player he's in Sarnia or supposed to become in the NHL. He had a strictly complimentary/energy role.

Happy for him as despite not having ideal ice time, he still found a way to contribute very nicely. Hadn't it been for him and Trouba providing offense in the first few games, the U.S wouldn't have even qualified for the medal rounds.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:52 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

It took a while for Gally to find himself in Sarnia at the beginning of the season - trying to do too much and being a bit out of the play. At least he had 8 points in 6 games and didn't look outright bad, he just didn't blow our minds.

He's got gold and its all that counts. Congrats on Alex, may he win a lot more stuff

Old
01-05-2013, 12:02 PM
JAVO16

I thought Galchenyuk played a pretty good game today. He created a couple of nice chances that he didn't capitalize upon. Had he scored on these shots he had from the slot, we'd all be singing a different tune. However, from the start of the tournament, his shot seemed off (except that one goal against Germany).

I find though that he often passes to teammates that are relatively well covered on his zone entries. Skilled players like Sarault might be able to take advantage of having the puck while covered by a few guys to create a good chance, but the teammates Galchenyuk played with during the tournament could obviously not. Also, I thought that he could've positioned himself better at times during the tournament. Again, this might be due to the fact that playing with a good playmaker like Sarault in the OHL has led him to position himself in less obvious areas of the ice for his teammates. However, I do remember many times where he was an obvious trailer option and didn't receive the pass.

Other than that, I actually think he displayed very quick thinking on a lot of short passes on the pp or during the cycle. You could say that he has good puck-poise and does not get phased by opposing forecheckers when he has the puck. You also have to love his elusiveness when skating and stickhandling with the puck.

Finally, I'd say that the only thing he really needs to work on to be a guaranteed success in the NHL is his first couple of steps. Being the hard worker he is thought, I'm not too nervous about that.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergtx18 View Post
your probly right, but im hoping he slides back under the radar when gally comes back
Kind of like how Collberg slid into the 2nd round and right into the Habs lap?

Old
01-05-2013, 12:18 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16
I thought Galchenyuk played a pretty good game today. He created a couple of nice chances that he didn't capitalize upon. Had he scored on these shots he had from the slot, we'd all be singing a different tune. However, from the start of the tournament, his shot seemed off (except that one goal against Germany).
A little luck definitely helps in hockey. Grimaldi isn't great, didn't play great yet scored 2 lucky goals.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
josh gorges ‏@jgorges26
@AGally94 congrats buddy that's a great achievement you should be proud you will remember this for the rest of your life!!

Old
01-05-2013, 12:36 PM
AlexGalchenyuk94
NHL Managerial Guru

10th in WJC scoring despite playing 13-14 mins per game and scrubs for linemates. Imagine Gally playing with Schiefele and Huberdeau. He would have been almost as productive as RNH.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:49 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
josh gorges ‏@jgorges26
@AGally94 congrats buddy that's a great achievement you should be proud you will remember this for the rest of your life!!
Future captain congratulating the future future captain?

Old
01-05-2013, 12:49 PM
PricePkPatch

All right. He was pretty creative with the puck, although I thought he sometimes was quick to send the puck to his teammates when they clearly have not the skill to do something while covered.

However, there is 1 thing I thought about A.G.; his forechecking during this tournament was nothing to write home about. Too big ice? Not enough energy?

Old
01-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:

Old
01-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
thrilled for gally

dont care about anything else, hes got the gold and good for him to be apart of it, great start to his career no matter what

Old
01-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGalchenyuk94 View Post
10th in WJC scoring despite playing 13-14 mins per game and scrubs for linemates. Imagine Gally playing with Schiefele and Huberdeau. He would have been almost as productive as RNH.
Or with Yakupov and Nichuskin. I think he'd have been better served to play for Russia, it seems to be more suitable for him but it was his choice to make. If Galchenyuk was a little less talented I wonder if he would of even made the USA team.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:25 PM
vipergtx18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Kind of like how Collberg slid into the 2nd round and right into the Habs lap?
exactly like Collberg, but i don't think Goldobin will be ranked 3rd among european skaters. still can't beleive Collberg slipped to 33rd

Old
01-05-2013, 01:28 PM
GalHabsGal

You can watch the last video on RDS about Alex Galchenyuk for the WJC

I am not able to past the link

The video title is "«Nous avions une équipe équilibrée» -Galchenyuk"

Old
01-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Galchenyuk is the best!

Old
01-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Wow you guys... Blaming USA coaching and his linemates (USA was the best team btw) . Let just admit he didn't look as awesome as we hoped, no big deal
No kidding BobbyG. Were you around during the live threads involving team USA games, this board had it's collective head up it's rear when it came to Team USA. Some people made ***** of themselves.

It's an IIHF junior event, coaching reflected that. Galchenyuk was put in the role his 18 year old experience level dictated. He was the 3rd best 18 year old in the tournament. That's a good sign. More work needed, good news is Galchenyuk is by all accounts a hard worker.

This Gretzky-or-garbage bi-polar hysteria is just that. "Blaming" everything and everyone for not catering to the insecurities of Habs fan is , well, the M.O. of some habs fans.

Perhaps Galchenyuk could lead next year's tourney in scoring, but he will probably be in the NHL. That's good news.

It's All Good is an expression, but sometimes a more accurate expression is It's Just Really Good, or It's Good and It Might be Great Soon.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:00 PM
SeriousFan09

Quote:
I blame them for making Sean Kuraly a 2nd-line C. Complelte lack of creativity by him. Their theoretical 2C had 3P in 7 games while his LW had 8.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:07 PM
ChoseLa

He did turn rust to gold.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousFan09 View Post
I blame them for making Sean Kuraly a 2nd-line C. Complelte lack of creativity by him. Their theoretical 2C had 3P in 7 games while his LW had 8.
In terms of winning the gold, it worked out for Housley.

For Galchenyuk he didn't get to maximise his skills but he could probably care less now that he has a gold medal.

At the end of the day it's a great experience for Alex, both in terms of the pressure, higher competition and having to play a smaller role than in the OHL.

He didn't score much the last 2-3 games but it did not affect his defensive play or compete level, which is a good thing.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
No kidding BobbyG. Were you around during the live threads involving team USA games, this board had it's collective head up it's rear when it came to Team USA. Some people made ***** of themselves.

It's an IIHF junior event, coaching reflected that. Galchenyuk was put in the role his 18 year old experience level dictated. He was the 3rd best 18 year old in the tournament. That's a good sign. More work needed, good news is Galchenyuk is by all accounts a hard worker.

This Gretzky-or-garbage bi-polar hysteria is just that. "Blaming" everything and everyone for not catering to the insecurities of Habs fan is , well, the M.O. of some habs fans.

Perhaps Galchenyuk could lead next year's tourney in scoring, but he will probably be in the NHL. That's good news.

It's All Good is an expression, but sometimes a more accurate expression is It's Just Really Good, or It's Good and It Might be Great Soon.
Yet, most non-habs fans have Galchenyuk amongst the dissapointements. So I guess it's not solely Habs fans who were hysterical.....

Old
01-05-2013, 03:28 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
This game is further proof he should be nowhere near the NHL this year.
Wow. Even if he did have a poor game, which he absolutely didn't, in no way, shape or form would that be "proof" he shouldn't be "anywhere close to the NHL".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
His role is not to miss the net at close range.
You mean the shot that Sean "Buzzkill" Kuraly blocked? That was clearly tipped off of Kuraly's stick wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Galchenyuk still thinks a little too slowly...
Now I've seen it all!!

Guys, Galchenyuk played just fine. He wasn't his normal dominant self, but no skater dominated this tournament except for maybe RNH. It's no secret that Galchenyuk and his linemates weren't on the same page and yet he still put up respectable stats. Most importantly for him, he won the Gold medal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yet, most non-habs fans have Galchenyuk amongst the dissapointements. So I guess it's not solely Habs fans who were hysterical.....
"Most"? Hmm, I doubt that, and if people were expecting his youtube highlights style dominance, then they were doomed to disappointment from the start.

Last edited by HankyZetts: 01-05-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
All right. He was pretty creative with the puck, although I thought he sometimes was quick to send the puck to his teammates when they clearly have not the skill to do something while covered.

However, there is 1 thing I thought about A.G.; his forechecking during this tournament was nothing to write home about. Too big ice? Not enough energy?
Only saw highlights, but his forecheck on his 2nd assist in the Germany game seemed a thing of beauty, the way he cut in front of the net instead of giving chase behind. He doesn't make that smart play, the guy doesn't double back, fall, no assist. And that was 10 seconds into a period they were up 4-0. Maybe the rest of the time his forechecking wasn't great, but I was definitely impressed by his smarts on that play.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Wow. Even if he did have a poor game, which he absolutely didn't, in no way, shape or form would that be "proof" he shouldn't be "anywhere close to the NHL".
Wasn't just 1 game. It was 4 games against 3 quality teams. If he can't be better than average against those teams of teenagers, how would he play in the NHL against men in 2 weeks? Probably not that well.

Closed Thread