HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 10:41 AM
youngblood10

vCash: 500
Dekort still has two/three years (136 - 204 games) in the league to get his time in and he'll probably play the majority of them, he has lots of time to develop. Not uncommon with a 19 year old goalie and a 17 yr old to have the veteran keeper play the majority of the minutes. Posters need to get off the 2014 Memorial Cup crack, if they do get it they will probably trade for a veteran anyway. Teams ready for prime time have 19, 20 yr old goalies. Take a look at recent tournament rosters.

How bad is this Spitfire team. Take Sarnia's top forward and defencemen out of the line up and put in a kid from tier two between the pipes for fun and they still get blown out. Windsor even skated hard for a good part of the game, completely lost out there but they tried. It's gotten so sad that they tried is a good sign.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:44 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post

How bad is this Spitfire team. Take Sarnia's top forward and defencemen out of the line up and put in a kid from tier two between the pipes for fun and they still get blown out. Windsor even skated hard for a good part of the game, completely lost out there but they tried. It's gotten so sad that they tried is a good sign.
ou
Sadly sometimes it's not about playing harder it's about playing smarter. You see so many silly breakdowns in their own end and some of them by a 4 year vet like Posa you start to wonder what the heck is going on. You're right considering they tried for 30-40 minutes was good of course Sarnia had their 3rd string goalie playing.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Ottomatic

Ebert and Bateman need to go over the next week. Ebert has all the physical tools, but has no feel for the game/Hockey IQ, and Bateman is a powderpuff, seemingly unwilling to play remotely physical. If Koko is coming back and going to be dealt, we might need to force whichever team is most interested in Koko to take Ebert as part of any deal. I think Bateman could still have value in the league as somebody will look to give him a fresh start.

If this team is going to win any games we're going to have to win ugly, boring games where we try to win in a shootout after a 0-0 game. Focus completely on defensive hockey - we don't have the skill level to score many goals and Vail, Clarke, Johnson, Kerby all look to be 3rd line checkers at the pro level so really start focusing on defensive responsibility, tight checking, high energy shorter shifts and gritty, physical play.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:56 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Dekort still has two/three years (136 - 204 games) in the league to get his time in and he'll probably play the majority of them, he has lots of time to develop. Not uncommon with a 19 year old goalie and a 17 yr old to have the veteran keeper play the majority of the minutes. Posters need to get off the 2014 Memorial Cup crack, if they do get it they will probably trade for a veteran anyway. Teams ready for prime time have 19, 20 yr old goalies. Take a look at recent tournament rosters.

Yet when Windsor played them a month ago 2 of their best players were in the lineup speaking of Murphy and Galchenyuk,Windsor beat them 3-2 in a shootout with Dekort in goal so what is your point
The differnce to me Windsor then was in a wiinning streak,not losing and having zero confidence

Old
01-05-2013, 11:45 AM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Yet when Windsor played them a month ago 2 of their best players were in the lineup speaking of Murphy and Galchenyuk,Windsor beat them 3-2 in a shootout with Dekort in goal so what is your point
The differnce to me Windsor then was in a wiinning streak,not losing and having zero confidence
My point is it's expectations, when points are on the table for the taking or at the very least should be and you get blown out you are in deep do do. Not that it's a revaluation but this core doesn't have the killer instinct needed to be successful. You can't teach that they have it or they don't. It reenforces how soft they are mentally, not just on the puck or in puck battles. This is a game when the so called untouchables on the team step up and show their worth.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:38 PM
scokan

if koko does come back to the CHL do you think he will even lace em up for the spits for 1 game or do you think his rights would be traded right away?

Old
01-05-2013, 12:41 PM
KnightSpit

Spits and The Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Mea culpa, Mea culpa,
No problem punch, But come January 10th, 2013 if the Spits make no moves, Erie will pass them for the final spot, it is just a matter of time. Even before the deadline the Otters fired their coach, dealt and / or released a player or two and then called up a couple of players to shake things up and so far it has worked for them. They do not even look like the same team and they are winning without McDavid in the line up. I doubt the Spits will get a new coach, but if there are not roster moves, the Fat Lady will start to sing and she is already warming up !!!!!!

Old
01-05-2013, 01:23 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scokan View Post
if koko does come back to the CHL do you think he will even lace em up for the spits for 1 game or do you think his rights would be traded right away?
Came to ask about Koko..is it possible that he returns to the CHL? The Bulls just opened up an import spot by dealing Kuptsov for Graovac and picks. Koko would be a great fit on Belleville's big ice and is the type of playmaker they need to help their power play and offense.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:43 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
No problem punch, But come January 10th, 2013 if the Spits make no moves, Erie will pass them for the final spot, it is just a matter of time. Even before the deadline the Otters fired their coach, dealt and / or released a player or two and then called up a couple of players to shake things up and so far it has worked for them. They do not even look like the same team and they are winning without McDavid in the line up. I doubt the Spits will get a new coach, but if there are not roster moves, the Fat Lady will start to sing and she is already warming up !!!!!!
He'll I can hear her even over all the construction noise here in the west end. The Spits have been circling the drain for the last month or so while the Otters have been playing very well since firing Robbie Ftorek.
If WR doesn't hit a couple of home runs in the next few days the Spits certainly will miss the playoffs and I wouldn't bet the house on their chances next year. Now that Koko has finished his 'Russian Road Trip' everyone here is hoping that he wants to land in a spot that will get us a great return because he alone wouldn't be enough to fix this mess....

Old
01-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scokan View Post
He'd be traded if he's going to be traded, as the Spits wouldn't burn a card on him to play one game. Next Spit game is on the 10th, which I believe is the deadline (unless it's moved back because of NHL CBA negotiations) - so there is no chance Koko plays for us before the current deadline.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Came to ask about Koko..is it possible that he returns to the CHL? The Bulls just opened up an import spot by dealing Kuptsov for Graovac and picks. Koko would be a great fit on Belleville's big ice and is the type of playmaker they need to help their power play and offense.
Rumors have him coming back to the CHL, and the Spits own his rights. It's unknown if he'll stick with the Spits or be traded. Rumors have him potentially being shopped, but nobody really knows. I'd question what the Bulls could offer, assuming you're not going to move your 2012 first rounder, it would probably be a whackload of picks and this trade would need to be consummated as early as tomorrow so the Spits could then look to shop these new picks elsewhere before the deadline.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:56 PM
massey

Your guys thoughts on the Malletta trade

Old
01-05-2013, 01:57 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Word out of Russia (his coach) said he was coming back to North America. Never have seen anything saying he was coming back to Windsor. Some fans hope he'll be back with the Spits,he is very talented.
Some, including myself, feel it would be best for the Spit organization that his rights get traded to a contender. He would fit in well in a few spots. I saw that the Bulls had traded Kuptsov and figured they had opened the spot for a reason. They also have the picks to get it done. Koko has been linked by rumor to Sarnia and Oshawa so I guess it's up to his agent where he wants to go. If someone steps up with a good offer WR won't take too long deciding.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:30 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Fact is Pavelka is right around where he was last year with defense or no defense.

11-12 3.47 GAA .905 sv%
12-13 3.52 GAA .904 sv%

The minutes played, shots faced and saves made are almost identical. Say what you want about the poor defense and cherry picking certain games not to include but the fact is he's not really better than last year and you can't expect to win games and finish high in the standings with a 3.5 gaa it just doesn't work that way. Watch Pavelka since the break he's fighting every puck, he doesn't look confident at all. DeKort hasn't been good but I guess you missed where I said it's a total team effort with this group failing.
You can't rip on Pavelka by calling him a "so-called stud", then say oh, it's a total team effort. You can't have it both ways. Pavelka hasn't been overly sharp since the break, but that doesn't mean he's been bad. The players in front of him have been horrible. A goals against average doesn't make a bad goaltender. It's very much a team stat. I'd look at the save %, realize it's over 90%, and say "it's not Pavelka's fault."

Old
01-05-2013, 02:57 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
You can't rip on Pavelka by calling him a "so-called stud", then say oh, it's a total team effort. You can't have it both ways. Pavelka hasn't been overly sharp since the break, but that doesn't mean he's been bad. The players in front of him have been horrible. A goals against average doesn't make a bad goaltender. It's very much a team stat. I'd look at the save %, realize it's over 90%, and say "it's not Pavelka's fault."
The so called remark had to do with many people on here thinking he was some amazing goalie and in some cases worthy of an OA year in the OHL for 13/14. I can have it both ways because I recall comments by you lauding Pavelka and not giving credit to the defense. This isn't a game you want to get into because once again you say it's not Pavelka's fault by looking at sv%, it's not better than last year. Where's the improvement in his game? It's ok to say somebody isn't playing well and that the team isn't good because the proof is in the pudding, you don't need to be an enabler.

Spits have lost 7 in a row it's a total failure top to bottom, remember when there was a time when Windsor was ahead of the Soo and right on the heels of Plymouth? Soo has played much better under Keefe and 8 ahead and Plymouth has come out of the break winning 4 out of 5. You seem to forget this is a 2nd half league and things heat up after the break and you see the contenders and pretenders. Needless to say this team is a pretender and fighting for an 8th seed then get whipped by London. You will disagree with this but the best thing for this team would be to miss the playoffs. Last year the snuck in as 8th seed and gave management a false sense of confidence going into the offseason. Missing the playoffs would send a message of this group isn't good enough and sweeping changes need to be made.

Old
01-05-2013, 04:48 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
The so called remark had to do with many people on here thinking he was some amazing goalie and in some cases worthy of an OA year in the OHL for 13/14.
Put a good defence in front of him and he's very much an OA candidate. Not for us, necessarily, but for someone.

Quote:
You seem to forget this is a 2nd half league
I know my memory isn't what it used to be, but let's not go assuming.

Quote:
I can have it both ways because I recall comments by you lauding Pavelka and not giving credit to the defense.
I count 8 games where Pavelka has faced 40+ shots and had a save % near or above 90%. That's far too many shots for any goaltender and, when you have no offence in front of you, you're going to lose many times. While he hasn't been great since the break, Pavelka is a big reason we aren't looking up at Erie right now.

Old
01-05-2013, 05:17 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Your guys thoughts on the Malletta trade
Malletta did not seem to be improving and what WR got for him, considering he had a gold package, was about all you should have expected.
I've seen all but 2 of the home games and all the pre-season scrimmages and from my perch I saw a large body with average speed who didn't impress.
As a 1st round pick you would have expected him to hold his own. Perhaps he will kick it up a notch or two playing much closer to home.
It was very telling that he didn't get better minutes on a team as poor as this one.....

Old
01-05-2013, 05:27 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Malletta did not seem to be improving and what WR got for him, considering he had a gold package, was about all you should have expected.
I've seen all but 2 of the home games and all the pre-season scrimmages and from my perch I saw a large body with average speed who didn't impress.
As a 1st round pick you would have expected him to hold his own. Perhaps he will kick it up a notch or two playing much closer to home.
It was very telling that he didn't get better minutes on a team as poor as this one.....
This quote is telling

“I always felt I had a bit more to give,” said Maletta, who left town quickly to join his new team in Mississauga in time for Friday’s game.

So what he's saying is that he didn't put forth the full effort. When players admit they had more to give that's a huge issue with the player and the team. I am sure Maletta isn't the only one that could say that.

Old
01-05-2013, 05:47 PM
massey

Quote:
This quote is telling

“I always felt I had a bit more to give,” said Maletta, who left town quickly to join his new team in Mississauga in time for Friday’s game.

So what he's saying is that he didn't put forth the full effort. When players admit they had more to give that's a huge issue with the player and the team. I am sure Maletta isn't the only one that could say that.
Thanks guys.Yes that quote pretty well says it all.The times I have watched him he looked like a disappointment to me also but I have watched him on the OHL livestream and you cant see a lot of extra stuff.When he has been in sarnia,he didnt stand out for sure.

Old
01-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
This quote is telling

I think he was saying that he thought he should have had more ice time ie wasn't given a fair opportunity here. Spit players all speak in tried and true cliches. I imagine their road trips are like that scene out of Bull Durham where Crash Davis is giving Ebby Nuke Laloosh a lesson on how to give interviews -

Crash Davis: It's time to work on your interviews.
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: My interviews? What do I gotta do?
Crash Davis: You're gonna have to learn your clichés. You're gonna have to study them, you're gonna have to know them. They're your friends. Write this down: "We gotta play it one day at a time."
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: Got to play... it's pretty boring.
Crash Davis: 'Course it's boring, that's the point. Write it down.

Last edited by Ottomatic: 01-05-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Ottomatic

Bulls opening up an import slot reminds me of Niagara acquiring a 3rd goalie not long before the Kuhnhackl to Niagara deal where they then had to move their back-up goalie Pavelka as part of the trade.

Unless there is another import potentially being moved, I'd surmise Koko could be heading to Belleville and that huge home ice surface.

Sure Kuptsov could have been dealt here in any Koko deal, but Spits probably feel he's not worth a spot with us next year and already had tu cut Ionin and Bezuch this year.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:20 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Bulls opening up an import slot reminds me of Niagara acquiring a 3rd goalie not long before the Kuhnhackl to Niagara deal where they then had to move their back-up goalie Pavelka as part of the trade.

Unless there is another import potentially being moved, I'd surmise Koko could be heading to Belleville and that huge home ice surface.

Sure Kuptsov could have been dealt here in any Koko deal, but Spits probably feel he's not worth a spot with us next year and already had tu cut Ionin and Bezuch this year.
WR should be asking Where do I Sign?.... Could use some 2nd rounders esp next year.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Spitsfan67*

Does no one remember that Rychel said were going for the mem cup next year, if they trade Koko there a good young player coming back are way...trading for picks and only picks is what you do in a rebuild they need a decent young player that will make an impact next season.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Does no one remember that Rychel said were going for the mem cup next year, if they trade Koko there a good young player coming back are way...trading for picks and only picks is what you do in a rebuild they need a decent young player that will make an impact next season.
You can flip those picks for other players of course. If we got a couple second rounders for Koko it could mean one for next year and now five for 2014 draft. Those five for the 2014 draft could be used to show the Mem Cup decision committee that we had the capability to upgrade during the season without diminishing from our roster.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Hawks3

I would like to see Kuchemy back. I think Dekort definatley needs more ice but should get Jr.B experience first.

Closed Thread