HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Varlamov will be a franchise goalie in 2 years

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 12:55 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
I can certainly see it happening, he has as much talent as any goal tender in the league. Insane athleticism/reflexes/quickness, good size, and pretty good technique as well.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
You gotta love Caps fans, I love they're still concerned about Varly even tough he's long gone from their system.

Semyon has all the talent in the world, but the question remains if he can find consistency and stay healthy. So far he's been great (at the start of the last season), mediocre (for 10 or so games during mid season) and absolutely amazing (from the all star break till the end of the season) for the Avs. His performance against the Rangers was simply outstanding.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
You gotta love Caps fans, I love they're still concerned about Varly even tough he's long gone from their system.

Semyon has all the talent in the world, but the question remains if he can find consistency and stay healthy. So far he's been great (at the start of the last season), mediocre (for 10 or so games during mid season) and absolutely amazing (from the all star break till the end of the season) for the Avs. His performance against the Rangers was simply outstanding.
I like how he was mediocre for 10 games and for the rest ranged from great to absolutely amazing yet his stats come out as mediocre.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
I like how he was mediocre for 10 games and for the rest ranged from great to absolutely amazing yet his stats come out as mediocre.
23 year old goalies playing starter minutes for the first time are inconsistent. It's not new.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Old
01-05-2013, 01:58 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/5/11/the-...nt-goaltenders

Old
01-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
23 year old goalies playing starter minutes for the first time are inconsistent. It's not new.
That's not my point. I'm saying that he describes him as briefly mediocre but for the large part of the season he was great to amazing, but his stats tell a different tale.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:59 PM
InjuredChoker

I could see this happening. One of the most talented goalies out there. It was good trade for Colorado and Washington. Sherman has made some good moves the past year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
It's pretty fun being an Oilers fan in a conference with all these great goaltenders...

The "worst" goalie would be Backstrom and he is absolutely unreal against Edmonton.
Edmonton Oilers 28 22 3 1 48 .933 1.81 1590:56 min

Yeah.. one could say so.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:03 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

Quote:
That's not my point. I'm saying that he describes him as briefly mediocre but for the large part of the season he was great to amazing, but his stats tell a different tale.
your looking too much into the stats, carey price was 20th in the league in sv% does that mean hes not a top 15 goalie?

Old
01-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Interesting study and pretty surprising. The only thing I would say about it is that it can't account for quality of goals (no stat really can) so if people are observing a goalie giving up a stretch of bad goals but his stats stay relatively the same it would change opinions but not this model. Still a cool study though.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
your looking too much into the stats, carey price was 20th in the league in sv% does that mean hes not a top 15 goalie?
No, but I'm not saying Carey played amazing for the majority of the year. He played well enough to keep us ahead of CBJ (a herculean task) but he wasn't as good as he was the year before.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:17 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Then watch him crap the bed 7 games in a row.

Quite frankly, a groin injury isn't ever a good sign. A skater can play through, goalies can't.
I do think it's funny that Varlamov complained about the trainers in Washington, and then he goes to Colorado, plays more games then he ever has, and doesn't get hurt. Meanwhile, both Neuvirth and Vokoun miss time in Washington last year with groin injuries. Maybe he was onto something...

Playing with Giguere helped calm his game down, and get rid of a lot of the unnecessary movements in his game. I think that's a big reason why he was able to stay healthy.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Stats aren't the real meassure of how someone is playing and especially not when it comes to goalies.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Frank Garrett

He'll be back in the KHL by age 29. This thread just jinxed him.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:56 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Stats aren't the real meassure of how someone is playing and especially not when it comes to goalies.
I think that was his point.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I do think it's funny that Varlamov complained about the trainers in Washington, and then he goes to Colorado, plays more games then he ever has, and doesn't get hurt. Meanwhile, both Neuvirth and Vokoun miss time in Washington last year with groin injuries. Maybe he was onto something...

Playing with Giguere helped calm his game down, and get rid of a lot of the unnecessary movements in his game. I think that's a big reason why he was able to stay healthy.
woo woo, that would make Neuvirth and Vokoun over the hill.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:51 PM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
Quote:

that's actually an interesting point

Old
01-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
It's pretty fun being an Oilers fan in a conference with all these great goaltenders...

The "worst" goalie would be Backstrom and he is absolutely unreal against Edmonton.
Umm. . . . . . what? Backstrom is certainly better than Varlamov right now and he's on par with Kipper and Luongo. And I hope you're not actually putting Dubnyk or Khabi above Backstrom.

Old
01-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
Sample sizes are important.
Unless you're Holtby. Then the 35 total NHL games you've played is plenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Garrett View Post
He'll be back in the KHL by age 29. This thread just jinxed him.
You mean, next lockout? Probably.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Lol, ok.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:33 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

Quote:
No, but I'm not saying Carey played amazing for the majority of the year. He played well enough to keep us ahead of CBJ (a herculean task) but he wasn't as good as he was the year before.
varlamov wasn't amazing for the avs, but he went on really good stretches, those games when he didn't do so hot with 888 save pct's is going hurt his stats. so he was amazing at times, but other times looked like an inconsistent backup. and i think a big reason why montreal and price didn't look so good last year was because of the lack of experience that montreal D had last year. too many nhl newcomers. diaz, emelin, markov being injured, again.

small sample size but at the end of the season when varlamov was playing better after an inconsistent stretch had a save percentage of 929 in 10 out of 14 games, hence he was amazing but also for stretches. inconsistency is key but very common amongst younger goalies.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:04 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:

Neuvirths injury was his knee, a player fell on his knee.

Giguere and Varly both had groin injuries...

Old
01-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Kershaw

I could see it, however he needs to stay healthy.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

Just to be clear, as a Caps fan, I could care less how he does. Whether he stays healthy or whether he wins 5 Vezina's. Doesn't really affect the Caps one way or the other, unless the million to one long shot happens and we were to meet in the finals.

I am also very glad we traded him, for the potential value received and more importantly for the fact that he is still alive. This trade was the ultimate win/win.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Hockeyfan2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Luckily for Varly the Avs have never had a franchise goalie so he won't feel the pressure of being compared to one.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Dynamo81

^^^ Someone missed the sarcasm

Varlamov has the potential to be a franchise goal tender. I think his consistency will come through maturity (He is 24) but that also means he needs to stay injury free which is my biggest worry for him.

Closed Thread