HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Everything Canada (goaltending, coaching, future)

View Poll Results: ....
Yes 83 55.70%
No 41 27.52%
Maybe/Depends on the situation 25 16.78%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Master Shake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Serious Question

They dont even have the best players now. By 2030 most of the league will be American.

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:01 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Are canadians so spoiled that they will turn on some 18 year olds because they lose a meaningless tournament? This is mostly about seeing the stars of the future winning the tourny is basically not even a big deal.

I actually thought murphy was really really good. Do you all forget that he tied the game and was far and way canadas best offensive defenseman? As far as scouting goes you clearly see that you have an nhl defenseman there.

The personnel is not the problem - canada had the tourneys most talented team, yet again. I have to blame coaching for not having players buy in to a system or play an effective even strength strategy. The team looked mediocre offensively when not on the powerplay. The complimentary players like huberdeau and schieflie are just that, elite complimentary players. Expecting drouin to make things happen was a bad idea. But hes looking like a 90 point talent.

Another question now - is rnh dependent on the powerplay? Hes probably the best powerplay forward in the world right now. But if he had done anything at even strength canada is a lock for the bronze.

I expected this but hamilton is seriously overrated. A lot of people make some bold claims about him but hes basically a jack of all trades whose really tall. Better offensive game than i thought hed have though. But clearly behind reilly and murphy and even oulette.

Subban is solid and hes not related to why canada lost. At the same time its pretty clear that hes not an nhl starter. A master of making easy saves look hard.

Canada came in expecting to win on talent alone and this mentality showed when they took awful shots from far out and made a bunch of cute plays that never worked. When will canadian leaders learn that they need to have a good strategy to win?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:02 PM
pigpen65

Subban looks more like a 5th-6th rounder. He should be thanking his brother for making the name for him. Wayne Primeau was a first rounder for the same reason.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:03 PM
umwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
At least next year, we will have the best crop of goaltenders since a freaking while:

FUCALE!
COMRIE!
MARTIN!
DESROSIERS!
PHANEUF!

With Connor McDavid and Drouin as leading forwards, Monahan, Shinkaruk, it's gonna be a new breed of players..no more Scheifele divers.
I would be surprised if Paterson isn't the starter next year. Also would be surprised if McDavid made the team. He will be 16 and still not draft eligible, definitely see him in camp for the experience though. If he plays his way on I would be excited.

Not many returnees but still a lot to look forward to.

Drouin, Monahan(might be in NHL), and Shinkaruk should lead the group up front. Monahan and Shinkaruk almost made it this year. Honestly, I don't know that this years team had a better pure scorer than Shinkaruk.

Reinhart returning on D, with a hopefully improved Dumba. Pulock and Morrissey could be solid two-way guys to look out for.

All in all it should be a competitive, but not overly dominant team. And honestly, I would rather have a full team effort with less skill than a front loaded team that can't keep it together.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:03 PM
1ntrovert*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe View Post
My comment was aimed more at the internet in general not just this thread.
i know im just irritated that we canadians expect perfection from 18yo every game

1ntrovert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

If Leon Draisaitl was able to put on a show.. Connor McDavid can help Canada next year as a 16 years old too.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Stephen

Maybe if they didn't have the undeserved dream team label thrust upon them and relied on the star power of too few players and a smarter coach the team would have gelled more cohesively and done better?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:06 PM
rschile

Canada needs to go back to team whl with ohl and qmjhl allstars we win every time I'm sure Lowry would have helped our bottom lines or spots first line and shinkaruk would have actually scored goals with sutter back next year he'll go back to that style.. our coaching was just awful I loved our continued over back checking and collapse even after we were down 4 to the americans would this ever happen under sutter maybe in Calgary but not with boys..obviously

rschile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Goaltending was not the problem.
It was the problem you can't deny that it wasn't (a good look at the Save% along this tournament shows this), along with poor Defense from a couple individuals. Non-factors
in the 3rd and 4th line. The top2 lines did the job though. The biggest problem was the backend.

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:13 PM
topshelfie

We had unreliable defenceman in our own end, Reilly, Murphy and Hamilton were all unreliable for being so highly touted. We could have also used some more grinders and shutdown players instead of a lineup full of skill. Outside of Jenner and our left winger on the 4th line(whos name escapes me right now) we had very little shot blockers, hitters or players able to play along the boards.

I'm a big believer that a team full of skill doesn't work and you need role players and such to fill other roles that are important to winning.

Also wasn't a big fan of our coach.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:17 PM
sabresandcanucks

It would be nice if Canada would bring defense next year as well. Too many offensive guys, too many turnovers in their own zone...

sabresandcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

Steve Spott

Was anybody else sick of this guy from the get go? The constant whining of the officiating, considered having our players dive for calls, basically calling the IIHF suspensions stupid because our players were punished for their dirty hits/slash(jenner/lupin/camara/griffin). I saw some calls go against the US in the previous games and not once did I hear Housley moan about the officials. It's too bad nobody pulled him aside and told him to shut it. He made us look like arrogant whiney canadians.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:31 PM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
Was anybody else sick of this guy from the get go? The constant whining of the officiating, considered having our players dive for calls, basically calling the IIHF suspensions stupid because our players were punished for their dirty hits/slash(jenner/lupin/camara/griffin). I saw some calls go against the US in the previous games and not once did I hear Housley moan about the officials. It's too bad nobody pulled him aside and told him to shut it. He made us look like arrogant whiney canadians.
Probably has to go down as one of the worst Canadian coaches in World Junior history.

He didn't pick a great team at all, making up his mind it seems before the training camp, and cutting kids who probably should have made the team.

He utterly failed to understand how to coach any kind of defensive game on the international ice. The Canadian forwards were clueless in terms of their assignment and spent the whole tournament running around.

Completely failed to get Canada ready for the Semi final game and because of that Canada suffered one of the worst losses that I've ever seen.

He was the wrong coach who picked the wrong team and took a team with the benefit of a NHL lockout and basically did nothing with it.

CaptainCrunch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:32 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer View Post
I think team Canada's problems stem directly from the selection process.
100% true.Like where I work.Too many chiefs and not enough indians(I hope this is not offensive to anyone).Nothing ever seems to get done.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:36 PM
CaptainCrunch67

Subban wasn't to blame, but he shouldn't really get much credit for being anything but a average to below average goalie in this tournament.

But a few people were saying that Canada shouldn't have needed stellar goaltending to win this tournament and they're right.

The coaching and defensive system were to blame in this tournament more then Subban was.

but in hindsight does Spot regret cutting Broissoit who was nearly flawless in camp?

Subban probably shouldn't have been the starter in this tournament.

CaptainCrunch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:37 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

vCash: 50
I predict that Subban will never get a steady job in NHL. Few games, maybe... career 2nd, not likely... starting job, never.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:41 PM
17Kurri

Should never be allowed near a national team again.

He'd been living off of DeBoer's laurels in Kitchener, but it's only a matter of time before that goes to crap, too, imo.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:46 PM
tombombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
Are canadians so spoiled that they will turn on some 18 year olds because they lose a meaningless tournament? This is mostly about seeing the stars of the future winning the tourny is basically not even a big deal.

I actually thought murphy was really really good. Do you all forget that he tied the game and was far and way canadas best offensive defenseman? As far as scouting goes you clearly see that you have an nhl defenseman there.

The personnel is not the problem - canada had the tourneys most talented team, yet again. I have to blame coaching for not having players buy in to a system or play an effective even strength strategy. The team looked mediocre offensively when not on the powerplay. The complimentary players like huberdeau and schieflie are just that, elite complimentary players. Expecting drouin to make things happen was a bad idea. But hes looking like a 90 point talent.

Another question now - is rnh dependent on the powerplay? Hes probably the best powerplay forward in the world right now. But if he had done anything at even strength canada is a lock for the bronze.

I expected this but hamilton is seriously overrated. A lot of people make some bold claims about him but hes basically a jack of all trades whose really tall. Better offensive game than i thought hed have though. But clearly behind reilly and murphy and even oulette.

Subban is solid and hes not related to why canada lost. At the same time its pretty clear that hes not an nhl starter. A master of making easy saves look hard.

Canada came in expecting to win on talent alone and this mentality showed when they took awful shots from far out and made a bunch of cute plays that never worked. When will canadian leaders learn that they need to have a good strategy to win?
great post.

Dougie Hamilton is one in an endless line of big, young guys, overhyped because of some size. I think some people see a big guy, and he does a good deke one game, and they think, 'wow, this guy has EVERYTHING" Bertuzzi, Rick Nash, Patrick Berglund all just came to mind.

As far as our fans. Ya, damn. I didn't watch the game until just now, but had read all about it on here, and all around the internet. **** sakes, there were several near goals for Canada after they score was tied. Had one of them gone in, I am very confident we would be reading about how they came back from the brink of defeat due to having more character than the Russians, yadda yadda. There are about 3 or 4 go to propaganda-schtick routines in this country, that everyone buys into. Then, when nonoe of them are available to be played, it is a flat-out lynch-mob towards the guys that actually train and play the game. The nationwide reaction in the 06 Olympics was probably the most shameful thing I have ever witnessed in sports.

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Greeningfan14

Yeah, Spott was garbage.

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:47 PM
HLLYWD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Should never be allowed near a national team again.

He'd been living off of DeBoer's laurels in Kitchener, but it's only a matter of time before that goes to crap, too, imo.
Ranger fans have had enough of him also, he rode DeBoers coat tails in Plymouth then followed him to Kitchener and got his job when Pete went to the show. I would expect he will be unemployed sometime in April.

HLLYWD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
tombombadil

PS - ^^^ don't get me wrong - Bertuzzi and Nash are quality players, and Berglund is a fit in the NHL, but people just salivate over a big guy that shows some skill. Hockey News still hasn't figured out that Nash isn't a top-5 winger.

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
I wonder if he had the same emotions inside the locker room as he did on the bench.... It didn't matter if it was 8-3 Canada or 5-1 USA. His facial expression was the same which was very concerning for me.

I wish I could be a reporter and ask him just one question:

"Besides being the worst player on the ice, what did you see in Ryan Murphy to give him that much ice-time?"

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Dr Quincy

Both Binnington and Subban sucked but so did all their dmen and most of the forwards.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
2006:

David Bolland
Dustin Boyd
Daniel Bertram
Michael Blunden
Kyle Chipchura
Andrew Cogliano
Blake Comeau
Steve Downie
Guillaume Latendresse
Ryan O'Marra
Benoit Pouliot
Tom Pyatt
Jonathan Toews

Other than Toews, I sure don't see a lot to get excited about there. And that team won gold. A lot depends on the goaltender and the coach.
and THAT was a dominant team. Just goes to show you how important goaltending and coaching is. That was also an underaged Jonathan Toews too.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Mehar

Everyone of the responses in this thread echoes my sentiments about this guy. The only way he should be near a Team Canada jersey in the future is if he buys one from a store, or is a spectator in the stands watching Team Canada play. Horrible coaching from

Spott. Never seen a Team Canada so poorly prepared, especially before a big Semi-final game. It all started in the pre-tournament games actually, when Team Canada looked clueless losing their first game. Hockey Canada has 365 days to get its act together and find a better coach, and re-evaluate how they select players, especially on the big ice.

Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote