HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Teravainen vs Gaudreau

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2013, 03:41 PM
  #1
buffalo GM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Teravainen vs Gaudreau

Who would you take, and why? Who is the most skilled?

buffalo GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:47 PM
  #2
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,430
vCash: 500
terevainen easily, just better player. Gaudreau had a great tourny, but small sample sizes dont sway my opinion

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:49 PM
  #3
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,139
vCash: 500
Gaudreau easily.

Loffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:49 PM
  #4
Skobel24
#Ignited
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,576
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
terevainen easily, just better player. Gaudreau had a great tourny, but small sample sizes dont sway my opinion
This sums up my feelings as of right now. As a Flames fan, I'm still psyched to have Gaudreau.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:52 PM
  #5
toewsintangibles
Registered User
 
toewsintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,340
vCash: 500
Gaudreau is a shrimp

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:54 PM
  #6
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,774
vCash: 500
Small international resume, but he's been light's out in the NCAA and USHL the last 3 years.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:54 PM
  #7
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Gaudreau is a shrimp
So is Martin St. Louis doesn't seem to have stopped him from having multiple ppg seasons. I think Teravainen is the safer pick but I think Gaudreau has a higher upside. Both great players its a toss up for me.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:56 PM
  #8
Rolen
setoguchi sucks
 
Rolen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 779
vCash: 500
I would take Teravainen only because he is a safer bet- which doesn't say much. Gaudreau is a great player but his size is a big issue he is going to have to overcome to make it to the NHL.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:15 PM
  #9
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Gaudreau is insanely skilled but is very small and a lean build. If you look at nhl potential TT should get the nod, if we're talking about who the best player is now, it's a lot closer. If you look at just this tournament, I'd say Gaudreau is better, but it's a small sample size and it's tougher to shine on a team that's not doing so well. Also TT is a year younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
So is Martin St. Louis doesn't seem to have stopped him from having multiple ppg seasons. I think Teravainen is the safer pick but I think Gaudreau has a higher upside. Both great players its a toss up for me.
Martin St. Louis is built like a brick, while Gaudreau is a very light build, there's a big difference.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:17 PM
  #10
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,774
vCash: 500
St. Louis was no bigger than Gaudreau at 19 years old. Gaudreau has plenty of time to put on muscle.

That's not to say I would take him over Tuevo.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:18 PM
  #11
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Gaudreau is insanely skilled but is very small and a lean build. If you look at nhl potential TT should get the nod, if we're talking about who the best player is now, it's a lot closer. If you look at just this tournament, I'd say Gaudreau is better, but it's a small sample size and it's tougher to shine on a team that's not doing so well. Also TT is a year younger.


Martin St. Louis is built like a brick, while Gaudreau is a very light build, there's a big difference.
Not disagreeing that St. Louis is built but he is only 175 pounds and 5'8, JG is 155 and 5'9 in a few years he could easily be 175 pounds.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:20 PM
  #12
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Gaudreau easily.
Care to explain why?

LeHabsMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:27 PM
  #13
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Not disagreeing that St. Louis is built but he is only 175 pounds and 5'8, JG is 155 and 5'9 in a few years he could easily be 175 pounds.
He could be. But St. Louis is strong, he has an amazing physique, which helps him counter his lack of size.

JG is neither strong nor amazing in physique. It will take a long time to reach that and it may never happen. Strength is much more than just gaining the pounds and muscle.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:29 PM
  #14
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 28,410
vCash: 500
Gaudreau by a bit

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:32 PM
  #15
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
So is Martin St. Louis doesn't seem to have stopped him from having multiple ppg seasons. I think Teravainen is the safer pick but I think Gaudreau has a higher upside. Both great players its a toss up for me.
Teravainen has way more upside, thats why he was considered to be a top 10-15 pick. In terms of reaching potential, Gaudreau is closer.

Better player now: Close but TT
More potential: Easily TT
Better WJC so will be hyped more:JG

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:34 PM
  #16
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Teravainen has way more upside, thats why he was considered to be a top 10-15 pick. In terms of reaching potential, Gaudreau is closer.
I disagree I think JG has 1st line potential and TT is more of a 2nd line player. I am not saying TT is bad I think he is real good but I think JG has more skill.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:37 PM
  #17
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,390
vCash: 500
For stat watchers who are okay with small sample sizes:

In the WJC this year, TT (who is over a year younger than Johnny) put up more points than Gaudreau in one less game.

TERAVAINEN Teuvo 6GP, 5g, 6a, 11p
GAUDREAU John 7GP, 7g, 2a, 9p

Obviously this is barely evidence of anything, but I don't see any numbers backing up an argument for picking Johnny G "easily"

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:41 PM
  #18
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
For stat watchers who are okay with small sample sizes:

In the WJC this year, TT (who is over a year younger than Johnny) put up more points than Gaudreau in one less game.

TERAVAINEN Teuvo 6GP, 5g, 6a, 11p
GAUDREAU John 7GP, 7g, 2a, 9p

Obviously this is barely evidence of anything, but I don't see any numbers backing up an argument for picking Johnny G "easily"
Those same people would say TT>Yakupov

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:41 PM
  #19
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I disagree I think JG has 1st line potential and TT is more of a 2nd line player. I am not saying TT is bad I think he is real good but I think JG has more skill.
They are both very skilled players, but ill wait till the WJC hype dies down before debating over potential. Even before the WJC I didnt hear many flames fans saying JG had great 1st line potential, they were content with a 2nd line skilled player but now after a good 7 game stretch hes considered a top 10 prospect. Plenty of players have good WJC but never play to that level again

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:43 PM
  #20
Gary83*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
For stat watchers who are okay with small sample sizes:

In the WJC this year, TT (who is over a year younger than Johnny) put up more points than Gaudreau in one less game.

TERAVAINEN Teuvo 6GP, 5g, 6a, 11p
GAUDREAU John 7GP, 7g, 2a, 9p

Obviously this is barely evidence of anything, but I don't see any numbers backing up an argument for picking Johnny G "easily"
How many of those points did he put up against those powerhouse relegation teams?

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:50 PM
  #21
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
How many of those points did he put up against those powerhouse relegation teams?
Plenty. Off the top of my head, at least 4 against Slovakia.

I'm not using the numbers to say that TT > Gaudreau. I'm just pointing out that they're close enough -- especially considering the full year age difference -- that I don't think they back up an argument for picking Gaudreau "easily" over TT.

Without doing the math, my guess is that their NCAA/SM-Liiga numbers wouldn't back up a JG > TT "easily" argument either.

Some might still say JG > TT "easily" after giving them both the eyeball test, and that's fine. I just don't think the numbers back it up.


Last edited by Sevanston: 01-05-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:02 PM
  #22
EbonyRaptor
Registered User
 
EbonyRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boonies
Country: United States
Posts: 3,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Those same people would say TT>Yakupov
I didn't see anyone jumping to that conclusion - just simply giving statistical evidence to counter the "JG had a better tourney" claim. And in terms of the tourney - I'd say TT did better than Yakupov. It's only a short tourney and I'm not saying TT will have a better career than Yakupov - odds are Yakupov will end up being the better player - but for this tourney, I think TT played better than Gaudreau and Gaudreau played better than Yakupov.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:02 PM
  #23
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,430
vCash: 500
I think a better comparsion would be JG vs. Kadri

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:20 PM
  #24
TS Quint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
St. Louis was no bigger than Gaudreau at 19 years old. Gaudreau has plenty of time to put on muscle.

That's not to say I would take him over Tuevo.
How many players in the top 100 scorers are under 5'10? 3 or 4? StLouis is a pretty rare player. When you are that small you better be scoring because you aren't worth much else. At 5'6 its pretty rare you can score 15 goals and stay in the league. He better be able to put up 25+ or he never makes the NHL.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:21 PM
  #25
Haatley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,363
vCash: 500
Gaudreau is smarter player. higher upside and.better currently.

teuvo is safer but not as skilled.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.