HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Everything Canada (goaltending, coaching, future)

View Poll Results: ....
Yes 83 55.70%
No 41 27.52%
Maybe/Depends on the situation 25 16.78%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-05-2013, 02:58 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 500
As A Loyal Fan...

I know this didn't have the result many of us Canadian fans wanted but... I absolutely love this tournament. Seeing the rivalries, the emotion, the comebacks, the near comebacks () and emotional teenagers taunt other emotional teenagers. It's all great.

The PGT for the Russia/Canada game got closed, but I wanted to post somewhere, congrats to the Russians for beating us. For the first time ever, when I saw Russia beat Canada, I was actually okay with it. Seeing that Valeri Nichushkin (thank you LightningStrikes ) score in front of his home country made me realize how much it meant when Canada won the Olympics at home. Congratulations to the Russians for bringing home a medal on home soil (I know it's not the one we all wanted but hey, better than nothing right?)

Congrats to the Americans for clearly outworking everybody. You guys really wanted it this year and you guys absolutely earned the gold.

For once, I'm happy we lost, and for it to be on a year like this, it finally can lay to bed some of those "what ifs." We had the choice at all the players we could bring (minus Murray). We beat all the teams we lost to and then they came back proving the same result doesn't always happen. The thing I hope that comes out of this the most is proof to Hockey Canada that you can't treat these guys like kings without them doing anything first. Reminds me a lot of D2 with Team USA in that... it's all about the want and the hard work. Also, hopefully this will take it out of everybody's minds that it's always "beat Canada." There are other teams in this tournament that are just as hard-working and just as talented that can win... don't just count on beating us

I for one will be back next year, cheering just as hard (at 3 in the morning) as I did this year, hopefully with better results. The best part of this whole tournament? No lockouts, no salary issues and nothing but pride for your country to motivate you.

Sorry that this is a bit long and sorry I got lazy with making avatars. Going through some family stuff right now and so as much as I made sure I caught the games, I was a bit busier over the holidays.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:59 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 603
He looked like there were mobsters out to get him and he'd have to flee the arena at any moment.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:01 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Spott was horrible from day 1...resting the "locks" again the CIS teams gives the "vets" a sense of entitlement they didn't deserve

-choosing Murphy was a brutal decision
-unprepared in the Semi's from the drop of the puck

seriously, how did this guy get the job??

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

He didn't even have the guts to stick with the goaltender that he anointed the starter for a medal game. He's pathetic.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:04 PM
bigtimehockeyfan999

Everybody just has to relax...anytime we start to question canadian hockey..the states..the russians..the swedes..they love it...and they feed off it....let them have this one...we're not gonna win them all....let go of the rope and let them fall back on their ***** where they belong. (just the trolls, not all hockey fans from other country's)

Keep in mind that we didn't even send a national team for the first 8 years...EIGHT YEARS we sent the memorial cup champion...that's like..world championship dumassery.

it just fluctuates guys...in 1998 we sucked...next year we were back in the gold medal game.

and I know this is the worst year to bring the nhl restricting us from having our best, but there were many years in which tournament outcomes would have been different had we been given our full lineup. 2010 was in the bank before it even started if not for the nhl...2011 as well. i think it's just the last 2 years that we haven't been up to par...and alot of that is to do with other teams being great too and they deserve credit where credit is due, but guys...chill...we are fine lol.

bigtimehockeyfan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:04 PM
17Kurri

vCash: 833
I'm not happy that we didn't even win a medal, but the quality of the tournament seemed very good, if not great.

I love this tournament, also, and will continue to watch it, but I really hope that Hockey Canada takes some hard lessons learned away from this. This was one of the most unorganized/unprepared Canadian junior teams in a very long time.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

As an Oilers fan I really hope that Nugent-Hopkins isn't taking this too hard. This was one of the worst Canadian junior teams ever assembled and easily the worst coached. He did everything he could.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
As an Oilers fan I really hope that Nugent-Hopkins isn't taking this too hard. This was one of the worst Canadian junior teams ever assembled and easily the worst coached. He did everything he could.
The team was stacked, the coaching was the problem.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:09 PM
TheNuge

Goaltending

Did Canada make a mistake in picking there goaltender right out of camp,
Should they of started Jake Patterson who was the best goalie in camp over subban and binnington.

My personal preference would of been Patterson as te number one with subban on the bench and binnington back at the hotel watching.

TheNuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

It's a good thing that we're going to see some turnover for next year's tournament. This current crop of juniors isn't very good. Bring in some new blood and ask Brent Sutter to coach again.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:10 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
I'm not happy that we didn't even win a medal, but the quality of the tournament seemed very good, if not great.

I love this tournament, also, and will continue to watch it, but I really hope that Hockey Canada takes some hard lessons learned away from this. This was one of the most unorganized/unprepared Canadian junior teams in a very long time.
I'm very much hoping this serves as a great lesson to HC. I hope they save the cool looking jackets for after the final W, and I'd love it if TSN stopped pumping up Canada's tires every year and started recognizing any team can win it. Obviously, this won't happen but I hope at least HC changes some things for the better.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

He was a hack during the entire process. Hope he never has the chance to Coach a Team Canada again.

I had a feeling that the choice of Murphy would come back to haunt us on a big play (winning goal).

#ShouldOfPickedCorrado

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:11 PM
MessierII

Quote:
He's probably livid. That's was his only chance.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
The team was stacked, the coaching was the problem.
Do "All-Star" teams win big championships most of the time? No. And the defense was horrendous.

Kevin Prendergast is a problem. He's a big reason why the Oilers have struggled in recent years and his selection process is questionable at best. Team Canada would be smart to part ways with this buffoon.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:17 PM
PanniniClaus

I will be moving on and not looking back at threads like these. What a pile of drivel from people that likely have never coached anything in their lives. We lost to a US team that found a way to play it's best hockey at the right time - They trounced the competition once they found the proper balance on their forward lines.

Gibson was lights out against everyone. The best team won.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:17 PM
bruinsfan46

Honestly it couldn't have been much worse. Maybe a group with a lot less big names would have played together a lot better. It's not like Canada wouldn't still have some good players.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Beyonder91
Seids the Machine

It seems everybody fails to realize these are BO1 games...

One game is not enough to determine the better team and the gaps between the teams are small enough that any of the top 4 teams (RUS/CAN/SWE/USA) have a good shot of winning any given year in this format. 7 game series is much more in Canada's favor.

Then you have the other issues such as:

-very little time to develop chemistry with teammates
-playing different style of team game than accustomed to
-used in different role than accustomed to
-playing on the larger ice surface
-time zone difference
-the small number of games which allows no room for error

All of these things can affect a players performance and I think if they started a brand new tournament in a few weeks the team/individual results would likely be much different. Such is the reality of such a small sample size.

Last edited by Beyonder91: 01-05-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Beyonder91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:21 PM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Do "All-Star" teams win big championships most of the time? No. And the defense was horrendous.

Kevin Prendergast is a problem. He's a big reason why the Oilers have struggled in recent years and his selection process is questionable at best. Team Canada would be smart to part ways with this buffoon.
How are guys like Lipon, Hudon, Camara, Jenner or Ritchie all stars of any kind?

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:22 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 603
I think the moment that really summed it all up was in the bronze medal game when Spott called a timeout, and everyone stood around in awkward silence with no one saying anything. That was the worst timeout I've ever seen. This guy was terrible.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
How are guys like Lipon, Hudon, Camara, Jenner or Ritchie all stars of any kind?
I agree, I'm just commenting on the idea that this team was stacked. You just need one hand to count the players who actually delivered for Canada in this tournament. Everybody else looked overwhelmed.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Descendent*

Poor coaching and awful goaltending were the death of Team Canada. Sutter should've been the coach.

Descendent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:29 PM
TieClark

It wasn't the actual group of players Canada had. It had everything to do with coaching and the selection of the players for a hockey team and not an all-star team.

They didn't play like a Canadian team. Not physical at all, no forechecking at all, very soft on the puck, very individual... they didn't look good all tournament and it finally caught up to them. The group of players could have easily won the tournament, the way the team was chosen and the style they were playing is what caused them to not medal

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout

What pissed me off the most about Spott was he refused to put a new line out at times. Lets say the top line goes out there plays in the offensive zone for 30 seconds then the Russian's ice the puck, I don't think Spott once changed the line to get fresh legs out there. Often this lead to our lines getting hemmed up in our own zone when the play went the other way and being stuck out there for 2+ minutes. In a short tournament with back to back games things like that can really take a toll on a player. I know when I played hockey if you got caught on a long shift your legs were heavier for the rest of the game, this seemed to happen way too often.

Also his attempt to match lines against the USA in the first period was pitiful.

Kid Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
Are canadians so spoiled that they will turn on some 18 year olds because they lose a meaningless tournament? This is mostly about seeing the stars of the future winning the tourny is basically not even a big deal.
Pure nonsense. It obviously is a big deal and that is why people care about it. Keep pumping this comment and it will hold as much interest as the spengler cup. Also these guys are not pee wees to be patted on the head for trying hard. They are already playing in a very competative junior league one step away from the NHL.

If a supossed power doesn't win for 4 or 5 years in a row then your country is now a secondary hockey power.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:33 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Lipon - 57 points in 34 games
Jenner - 47 points in 32 games
Ritchie - 50 points in 32 games
Hudon - 39 points in 28 games

....preeeeetty good

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote