HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLVII: Could the End be in Sight???

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 06:55 PM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
They were BOTH like elementary school kids. They BOTH wanted to fight, but when hauled into the principal's office, neither wanted to be accused of throwing the first punch.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:56 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukNumberOne View Post
Anyone explain?
I don't know where this whole idea that the owners are opposed to playing 50 games came from. Does someone have a source that says the owners are opposed to a 50 or 52 game season assuming a deal gets done early enough?

Old
01-05-2013, 06:56 PM
rdawg1234

Not sure if this was posted,

Doug Maclean ‏@DougMaclean
Making progress. Not tonite but will be done. Motivation is to play more than 48 games..nice change in whats motivating each side.

https://twitter.com/DougMaclean/stat...01320834641921

Old
01-05-2013, 06:57 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xref View Post
I asked the same question. It makes no sense to me either. Why WOULDN'T the owners want to play as many games as possible under a new CBA?
I don't really get why 50's more important than 48 now, when 82 wasn't particularly important to either side. I think the DOI plays into it, to be honest. As much as everyone wants to mealy-mouth it and say it doesn't matter and it's a phony threat, it sure seems to be making the owners 'attempt' to move at least.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:57 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince2012 View Post
So tired of this notion.

They said the same thing about L.A.

When the Panthers went to the finals, people went.
Same with Tampa.
Phoenix has been in flux, but when stabilized and when they win, people will go.
Ok, so you are saying if the team goes to the finals, the fans will show up. Maybe the league needs to include a rule that all the sun-belt teams will play in the finals each year, even if it means we have a stanley cup final with 6 teams?

Old
01-05-2013, 06:58 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Newsflash, even if the owners get everything they wanted, this CBA still would not fix whats wrong with the league. There are too many teams in markets that no one cares about. For instance, why are their 2 hockey teams in FLORIDA when no one cares about sports outside of college football there with the exception of the Miami Heat? same thing can be said about Phx, and other places that makes it difficult for hockey to be as good as it can be.
This is true but if the owners get what they want it will increase the value of the teams when they sell them to move to better markets.

Old
cpcftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
Did you mean million instead of billion?

This post makes little sense to me.
No, billion.

That's the point. 50% rev split is the best the NHL could offer. We wasted months trying to "meet in the middle" because the PA thinks you have to meet in the middle to negotiate.

Put it another way: if I put my $500k home on the market listed for $500k, then someone comes with a $400k offer, and I refuse to sell at $450k (in the middle), then by the logic of the pro-PA people here, I would be unreasonable. "y u no meet in middle!?!?"

Negotiating isn't about meeting in the middle. The NHL has been putting its best offers on the table to get a deal done while the PA worries about "meeting in the middle". There's no middle from a best offer.

Old
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
You can't play without a CBA, the players didn't want to talk until August. They were asked to talk around the All Star break. You think they weren't looking for a stoppage? C'mon Man!
With how much one side wanted the other to give in the next CBA, it was inevitable that real talks would start once games were in jeopardy. You can't use that it's a ridiculous argument.

Old
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
I don't know where this whole idea that the owners are opposed to playing 50 games came from. Does someone have a source that says the owners are opposed to a 50 or 52 game season assuming a deal gets done early enough?
Someone must be opposed to it, or it wouldn't be an issue.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:59 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
I get it, but the league didn't really help things when they further poisoned the water with their first offer. We can go back and fourth about who started this, but the fact of the matter is the NHL is currently in the middle of a lockout, and the PA has conceded a bunch of changes already. They have every right to be unhappy, especially because the lockout is becoming a serious trend, not only in the NHL, but professional sports in general.
So theyre unhappy about becoming a trend yet they hire the guy most responsible for that trend?

Old
Crows*

Who is this guy? 10 k followers?

@MurphysLaw74: Based on all I'm hearing I think if CBA talks fail tonight, decertification Mon. and NHL cancels season/Players file antitrust suits Thurs.

https://twitter.com/murphyslaw74/sta...08164986658816

Old
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
This is a lockout right? Have I been thinking it is something different for four months. Holy ****, is this a players strike?
For all intents and purposes, there's no difference.

Quote:
Funny part is, you agree we're on "step 3" and still think the league is the side to agree with in all of this. Amazing.
It's a business negotiation. The winner isn't decided by who's "right".

My beef is the fact that the PA pushed us all the way to January just to get a deal comparable to what they could have had months ago. Their motivation was to make the league hurt as much as possible, which was their choice and it's the reason they will get no sympathy now.

You pick a fight, you get a fight.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
I'm sorry but what are you talking about???

NHL has moved on virtually every single stance they've had in the past several days and weeks. Please read these threads more often to see how the NHL has changed their position to attempt a deal.
What have they moved on other than things in their own original offer? What is one major change that has been made in the players direction from the previous CBA? As for the reading these threads, i have been here reading. Maybe i've misunderstood what has been offered by the league.

Old
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I'm a little confused with all the anti PA hate... I understand its frustrating, but lets see what the PA has given into on..

They gave into term limits for contracts the league wanted.
They gave into the 50/50 split.
They gave into the 10 year CBA the league wanted.

What exactly has the league given on? before today they wouldn't even move off the 60M cap.
From what I understand, contract limits are still being negotiated.

The reason the PA gave in on those issues is because they had no reasonable grounds to get what they were asking for.

I don't know why people think this needs to be an even split. The players want a "fair" deal, and the league wants a deal that ensures the health of the league. "Oh well I gave up this, it's only fair you give up this." No, sometimes you're just wrong. Sometimes, whats best isn't something that can be even and equally balanced. The players wanting a 57% share is just wrong. Saying they gave up that and should get something in return is unreasonable.

If the league demanded one year contracts only, would you treat that as a fair and reasonable position with any merit whatsoever?

Old
Heisenberg77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post

@MurphysLaw74: Based on all I'm hearing I think if CBA talks fail tonight, decertification Mon. and NHL cancels season/Players file antitrust suits Thurs.

James Murphy. ESPN Boston. I personally think he's a hack. I don't deny him having sources, but I wouldn't put much stock into him at all.

Old
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Quote:

He's covers the bruins.

Old
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:

Just someone putting their opinion across.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:01 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:

Boston area reporter. Beyond the decertification, he's just making educated (obvious) guesses.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:01 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
Someone must be opposed to it, or it wouldn't be an issue.
As far as I know, it is not an issue just a matter of when a deal is done. If it's done soon, they can squeeze in a couple of more games.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
We should flip coins to decide who concedes what. These negotiations are getting a CBA which will make all teams healthy, not about who concedes the most.
If the owners and Bettman were concerned about making all 30 teams healthy, they would have addressed the issue of linkage and how the rich revenue teams screw it up for everyone else.

Did they? Of course not.

So stop pretending the owners are just doing what's best for the league.

Old
pepty

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
For those complaining about the DOI vote:

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw
We have already seen benefit of the disclaimer as we have seen a dramatic shift in mood in progress over past 24 hours - NOT a coincidence

https://twitter.com/EricOnSportsLaw
Thats pure baloney

Macramalla said before hand that there might be a difference and has been trying to sell the story ever since that there has been to prove himself right.

The changes that the PA claimed were done after the DOI deadline were actually made and the situation resolved before the deadline.

Macramalla has got a little carried away with his own importance and has inserted himself as an actor rather than just a commentator in this situation..

Old
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Boston area reporter. Beyond the decertification, he's just making educated (obvious) guesses.
Yeah it's pretty common sense that stuff will happen.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:03 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

The owners may also want to play 50 instead of 48 cause the schedule'll likely be too unbalanced in a 48-game season (7 division, 2 conference is what's been floated), especially since they already decided 8 division games in 82 games was too much - 7 in 48 would be insane though perhaps a neccesity. If they played 50 games, they could have 5 division/3 conference games.

But yeah they can't afford another lull now, or the players push the DOI button.

Old
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
I'm sorry but what are you talking about???

NHL has moved on virtually every single stance they've had in the past several days and weeks. Please read these threads more often to see how the NHL has changed their position to attempt a deal.
As has been true from the start, most of the nhlpa's concessions have come off of thr old CBA, while most of the nhl's concessions have come off of their own demands.

You can debate whether that is good or bad, or note that it was simply inevitable, but they aren't the same, IMO.

Old
Marns
@thestretchpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
According to Duthie this thing is only 66% resolved.
60% of the time, it works EVERY time.

Closed Thread