HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why can't CDN fans rally around CDN teams in the Playoffs?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2013, 12:17 AM
  #276
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Arent there still remnants from when there was only two canadian teams in the NHL, or are the fanbases just simply new ones that has no ties to TML and Canadiens? I would think family history should still prefer one of them as their "second team".
That's around a little bit with the older generation but its pretty rare that it actually gets passed down to the next one. At least in Edmonton the 80's wiped out most former allegiances.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:13 AM
  #277
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,180
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
That's around a little bit with the older generation but its pretty rare that it actually gets passed down to the next one. At least in Edmonton the 80's wiped out most former allegiances.
The Leaf fans were pretty numerous and loud, in that OT game in Edmonton.
All older people, I doubt it.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:55 AM
  #278
Hammer Time
Registered User
 
Hammer Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
I'd be surprised if more than 25% of the total dives in that series were by the Bruins. Seems by game 7 there were far more people cheering for Boston who'd normally be cheering for Vancouver in a Canucks/bruins series (ie Sabres, Habs, Leafs, Sens fans) than the other way around.
The fact that Boston was outscoring Vancouver 19-8 after six games also had a lot to do with it. In many ways Boston "deserved" the victory more. There's a sense that it just wouldn't be right if a team wins a series in which (assuming a 1-0 Canucks win in Game 7) they were outscored 19-9.

Other than Henrik, Burrows and Lapierre there actually wasn't too much diving from the Canucks players. Even Kesler didn't flop much (by his standards). To me, the turtling in scrums and the cheapshots were the bigger issue. Not to mention it was probably counterproductive - the more chippy and physical the game, the more Boston is favoured due to the composition of the team. Vancouver should have been trying to keep the after-the-whistle stuff to a minimum and just play hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Burrows bite Bergerons finger...

If you need more evidence than that that Vancouver is a classless team, go watch the entire series again and count the Dives/Flops.
Let's see from the Bruins
Brad Marchand - diver. yapper. punches Daniel in the head in Game 6. I don't care if Daniel doesn't defend himself, it's not very classy to repeatedly punch an opposing player. Simply an all-around dirty player.
Zdeno Chara - slammed Pacioretty into a stanchion. I don't think he intended to hurt him that bad, but it was a reckless late hit, well after the puck was gone.
Marc Recchi - had the nerve to accuse Pacioretty of faking it after that incident
Marc Savard - bit Dan Carcillo just one playoffs earlier. A repeat offender too, given that he did the same to Darcy Tucker a few seasons ago.
Andrew Ference - gave the finger to the Bell Centre during their first round series, and then blamed in on an "equipment malfunction" afterwards. Also was instrumental in getting Paul Kelly fired as NHLPA's leader in a secret late-night meeting without a formal vote, an act that got many players angry, including some of his own teammates.
Milan Lucic - has a history of after the whistle hits.
Horton and Tim Thomas also had incidents that sparked some controversy, although in my opinion those incidents were forgivable.

I concede that the Canucks did some atrocious things during that playoffs, which should have no place in the game of hockey. However the Bruins also had quite a lot of dirty, arrogant, or classless players, and they weren't much (if at all) more classy than the Canucks.

Essentially I never really got the argument that people were cheering for Boston against Vancouver "for honour and the good of the game". Neither team was anywhere close to honourable or classy. That makes about as much sense as the US government supporting Saddam against the Ayatollah or Al Qaeda against the Soviets to "advance the cause of democracy".

From my experience, most of the people that were most dead-set against the Canucks were either Blackhawks fans or fans of other NW division teams. On the other hand, the Montreal fanbase largely supported Vancouver because the Bruins were "cavemen". To me this suggests that when people say "I'm cheering for Boston/Vancouver to lose because they're dirty", what they mean is more like "I'm cheering for a dirty team that isn't my most hated rival against another dirty team that is".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
I would say in terms of national support, the Oilers cup run was the most widely supported run in the country (outside of Vancouver and Calgary).

8th seed Stanley Cup appearance? How could you not like that?
Their playoff run was spearheaded by Chris Pronger, who isn't exactly the most likable guy.

I think the Flames 2004 run was probably the best supported - I've never seen so many Canucks fans backing a division rival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster316 View Post
flames are our rival? really since when?

oilers yes but flames have done NOTHING...they are lucky they won in 89
Flames probably could have won more, they were a very good team in the late 80s/early 90s, and they were stuck in the same division as a dynasty. However Mike Vernon had consistency issues in the playoffs - he did underperform quite a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Arent there still remnants from when there was only two canadian teams in the NHL, or are the fanbases just simply new ones that has no ties to TML and Canadiens? I would think family history should still prefer one of them as their "second team".
There is some residual loyalty to the Leafs in BC among older fans, but since it's been 40+ years there isn't much left. Most younger fans are more inclined to make fun of the Leafs being just as unable to win a Cup as the Canucks are, and even more unable to make the playoffs.


Last edited by Hammer Time: 01-05-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:10 AM
  #279
Darth Yoda
Registered User
 
Darth Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Grovebranch's Crease
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,836
vCash: 593
I dont understand why people are complaining about "dirty teams and players". It's playoff hockey, of course there will be biting and flopping opponents lost gloves away. Take Crosby against Philly, Giroux just got some playoff emotions there from time to time. It's also funny that while Philly fans call the Penguins dirty, our division rival fans in New York say Philly is the ********.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:14 AM
  #280
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
With Dallas usually out of the playoffs, I feel no need to hop on a certain team's bandwagon just because they play in my country.

Besides, if you're going to wax patriotic, isn't it enough that most players are still Canadian anyways?
So true. haha!

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:58 AM
  #281
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
I will cheer for any Canadian team except Vancouver. I used to like them until they went to the finals and really found out what kind of team they had. I cannot stand the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, and Lapierre. They all dive, and dive alot. That team is also really dirty. Least favourite team in the league easily.
As I posted on the leafs board which I got a lot of hate from, I have grown a fondness for the Sens. I cheered for them last year because of the heart and never say die attitude. They were not even supposed to make the playoffs with many people predicting last place in the east. They brought the rags to 7 games and fought right to the bitter end. They are a team deserving of praise. I will find myself cheering for them this upcoming year.
Meh, all depends how you see it I guess. I never thought the Sens were as bad as they looked two years ago and never bought the 'rebuilding' thing. They had a bad year. This past year they had a better year. Still hate em. Still cheered against them.
Calgary I have no beef with. Montreal I can't stand but could at least tolerate some of the fanbase.
The rest are unbearable.

As for us, you better believe life as we know it would end if we ever won.

The Apologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:39 AM
  #282
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
If Toronto wins the cup, life as we know it is over in Canada.
Can you imagine the threads on HF? I would have to leave this place for a year at least.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:08 AM
  #283
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Can you imagine the threads on HF? I would have to leave this place for a year at least.
Absolutely. I was devastated when Boston played Vancouver in 2011. I knew no matter who won, id have to leave the boards for awhile. What I didn't know was that our 'fans' would actually make it worse than the Boston ones did.

The Apologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:43 AM
  #284
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,180
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Can you imagine the threads on HF? I would have to leave this place for a year at least.
Enjoy your bashing while you can.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:26 PM
  #285
Ziggy66
Registered User
 
Ziggy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Killarney, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,981
vCash: 50
I generally support any Canadian team in the playoffs. I just cant support Vancouver for some reason lol. I guess the player persona on Vancouverl just does not appeal to me for some reason and the last few years have found myself supporting any team opposite of them... oh well.

Ziggy66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:29 PM
  #286
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Can you imagine the threads on HF? I would have to leave this place for a year at least.
I wouldn't worry about it. Toronto winning the Cup sounds like a made up fairy tale. Kind of like the 2012 Mayan apocalypse.

Jigger77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:37 PM
  #287
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
The Leaf fans were pretty numerous and loud, in that OT game in Edmonton.
All older people, I doubt it.
It's Alberta you know how many people move here for jobs? Those people aren't native Edmontonians they're Ontario imports that buy up all the tickets to the one Leafs game a year six months in advance.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:38 PM
  #288
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Toronto winning the Cup sounds like a made up fairy tale. Kind of like the 2012 Mayan apocalypse.
I feel like it HAS to happen eventually though. They can't go 100 years without a Cup, can they?

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:40 PM
  #289
Aucoin11*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
they do

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:42 PM
  #290
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
I feel like it HAS to happen eventually though. They can't go 100 years without a Cup, can they?
Of course they can. Your fears are irrational, my friend. You have a better chance of getting abducted by aliens.

Jigger77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:59 PM
  #291
Reign Nateo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It isn't that much of a stretch to say that a Stanley Cup party (singular... same party, continuously) would still be going in Vancouver or Calgary, but the party ended in ten minutes in Los Angeles? What?

Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean it's exempt from being hyperbolic. A gross exaggeration is still an exaggeration even if it's your opinion.
Again, I really don't see this as much of a stretch. I would bet that if Vancouver or Calgary won the Cup in June, there would still be celebrations and would still be a hot topic of conversation. Average citizen in LA still celebrating the Cup?

Doesn't mean fans of the Kings are any less of a fan, just would completely change a Canadian city to win, where in LA, as in Anaheim or Tampa Bay, it was just a blip on the radar.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:37 PM
  #292
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Marc Savard - bit Dan Carcillo just one playoffs earlier. A repeat offender too, given that he did the same to Darcy Tucker a few seasons ago.
Even though he has a history of thsoe things I don't think it's fair to include him among those other Boston players. The reason is he didn't play in the 2011 Playoffs and had nothing to do with helping Boston win that year, so you can't say he would have done what you claimed he did in the past.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:59 PM
  #293
KahunaBaby
Registered User
 
KahunaBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Even though he has a history of thsoe things I don't think it's fair to include him among those other Boston players. The reason is he didn't play in the 2011 Playoffs and had nothing to do with helping Boston win that year, so you can't say he would have done what you claimed he did in the past.
I don't think it really matters. They are the big bad Boston Bruins. They are expected to do those type of things along with their bruising style of play. Most fans give them a pass for it and for the most part accept that type of play from them.

I wasn't a fan of the Habs in the 70's but i am a fan of them now. The Bruins pulled the same crap back then but because they were rivals of the hated Habs most of Canada outside of Quebec were ok with it. Same as 2011 with the hated Vancouver Canucks.

If i wasn't a Canuck fan i would hate us too. It would interesting to see if the Canucks would still be hated in Calgary or Alberta if Vancouver switched teams with either of those franchises. I would imagine the talent of the Sedins would be talked about on a regular basis along with Ryan Kesler's work ethic. Kevin Bieksa and his punishing style of play would make him an instant fan favorite. But i'm quite sure all four would be hated in Vancouver...call it a wild hunch


Last edited by KahunaBaby: 01-05-2013 at 02:10 PM.
KahunaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:49 PM
  #294
Puckgenius*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: At the rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
If theres one CDN team that just about all canadians would cheer for if their main team was out, it would be the Jets by far.

On the other hand, The nucks nobody would ever cheer for as a 2nd option.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:35 PM
  #295
Blob
Registered User
 
Blob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
I'm a Vancouver fan, but when the Flames and Oilers made the finals in separate seasons a few years back, me and everyone I work with was rooting for them and following them.

In the playoffs, I always follow what the other Canadian teams are doing. I think it's that way for most Canadian fans.

The response you'll get from people on HFB may be different, but they don't represent how most people feel about hockey. It's only pretty dedicated and hardcore fans on here.

Pretty much everybody in Canada is a hockey fan during the playoffs, and in my experience, most people follow until the last Canadian team is knocked out.

Blob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:50 PM
  #296
Deuce Awesome
Registered User
 
Deuce Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,092
vCash: 500
Im a Leafs fan so naturally once the playoffs arrive I need to find a new team to dance with.


I actually like Ottawa come playoffs, Ive gotten behind Montreal before, Calgary, Id get behind Edmonton again.


I just hate the Canucks. I hate everything about them, it has nothing to do with rivalry or geographical location. Can't stand them for all the reasons that Im sure are well documented. I also am not to fond of San Jose or New Jersey and usually root for whomever is going to beat them.


I also bandwagon for teams who's style I appreciate. I loved Philly in the first round last year as it was a throwback to old style physical hockey. I loved Boston when they killed the Nucks, because I hate Vancouver.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:55 PM
  #297
Deuce Awesome
Registered User
 
Deuce Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
I would say in terms of national support, the Oilers cup run was the most widely supported run in the country (outside of Vancouver and Calgary).

8th seed Stanley Cup appearance? How could you not like that?
Edmonton has nation wide appeal due to the 80's hall of fame roster and the fact that they have maintained a youthful, fast game,seemingly constantly "just around the corner" from another dynasty.

When they do make a go of it everyone gets behind them.


I remember everyone in southern Ontario being as behind them, as we were behind Boston when they played Vancouver...lol....

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:58 PM
  #298
Deuce Awesome
Registered User
 
Deuce Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster316 View Post
i cheer for all cdn teams except for flames and sens cuz they have no history...and any history they might have nobody cares for

habs/leafs/oilers have history so it would be nice if they won

jets and nucks also have no history however i was born in vancouver so i have to cheer them on

Obviously you were not watching hockey in the 80's if the Flames have no "history" to you. Those were some great teams. Gilmour, Mullen, Niewy, McDonald, Roberts....man.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:40 PM
  #299
JMecc
#FireLowe
 
JMecc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaBaby View Post

If i wasn't a Canuck fan i would hate us too. It would interesting to see if the Canucks would still be hated in Calgary or Alberta if Vancouver switched teams with either of those franchises.
Yes; Canuck fans could make any team over there hated. You sound like you put some thought into your argument, but that's not my experience with most Canuck fans (in real life). When I go to Calgary, sure some fans are dumb or arrogant, but most seem to be very similar to oiler fans, just passionate for another team that's all.

JMecc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:17 PM
  #300
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
It's Alberta you know how many people move here for jobs? Those people aren't native Edmontonians they're Ontario imports that buy up all the tickets to the one Leafs game a year six months in advance.
People move all over Canada. That's just an excuse.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.